Packers doing what the Bears should be doing!!!!!!!!

Wesson44

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/categ...or-mill/page/2/

Packers next to host Demetrius Bell

Former Bills tackle Demetrius Bell is the No. 2-rated unrestricted free agent left unsigned on the PFT Hot 100. He’s a 28-year-old, starting-caliber left tackle who’s been unlucky when it comes to avoiding the injury bug.

But Packers G.M. Ted Thompson knows a potential bargain when he sees one, and Bell fits the bill. Per Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 in Buffalo, Bell will be visiting Green Bay later this week.

As a Packer, Bell could provide competition at left tackle if the team cuts the cord on longtime starter Chad Clifton. Clifton turns 36 this offseason, is owed nearly $6 million in salary and bonuses, and underwent back surgery in February.

Clifton’s likely successor is expected to be Marshall Newhouse, but he’s had his fare share of problems in past spot starts. At least based on talent alone, Bell would be an upgrade on Newhouse.

I don't know this guy but his resume doesn't sound like he's better than what we have. If Ted Thompson is so smart why did he wait so long to bring this guy in? For years we've had an Oline composed of backups and we need to take a step function up in ability.

This appears to be the real reason the Pack are looking at this:

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6559/derek-sherrod

Their 1st round pick from last year (an OT - note to Jason) doesn't appear to be able to play this year either after breaking his leg last season. Theirs (Packers) is more a case of necessity than want.

I don't know this guy but his resume doesn't sound like he's better than what we have. If Ted Thompson is so smart why did he wait so long to bring this guy in? For years we've had an Oline composed of backups and we need to take a step function up in ability.

Maybe he was or is waiting for the high priced maret to go down so we can get him at a cheap price on a low paying contract.

Maybe he was or is waiting for the high priced maret to go down so we can get him at a cheap price on a low paying contract.

From what I am reading and hope none of it is true, they are satisfied with the progress of OL and maybe will draft a swing tackle in the mid rounds of the draft. Bell has injury issues , but is a big upgrade if healthy.

Demetrius Bell doesn't sound like he's better than J'Marcus Webb?

This appears to be the real reason the Pack are looking at this:

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6559/derek-sherrod

Their 1st round pick from last year (an OT - note to Jason) doesn't appear to be able to play this year either after breaking his leg last season. Theirs (Packers) is more a case of necessity than want.

All players risk injury. Eschewing a position because your guy happened to get injured is a foolish way to plan for your team's draft.

HAHAHAHAHA! There is no doubt he's better than Webb.

Now, if you're saying, "Why take a medium step up when we should be taking a large step up for a serious upgrade," then I wholeheartedly agree with you.

But there is no doubt he's better than Webb.

HAHAHAHAHA! There is no doubt he's better than Webb.

Now, if you're saying, "Why take a medium step up when we should be taking a large step up for a serious upgrade," then I wholeheartedly agree with you.

But there is no doubt he's better than Webb.

He's not better if he can't get on the field due to injuries. For years people on this board complained about bringing in injury prone players (some have complained about drafting Carimi for that reason). Will Bell be better when he's on the field...yes. Will he be better when he's on the bench injured? Ok, there might be some debate about that one :)

Eschewing a player because he happened to get injured is not the point. Injuries add up over time and can diminish a players ability. A consistent trend also is indication a player is more likely to get injured again. Like it or not, some people are not as flexible as others, or don't have ligaments as strong as others. There's a reason so many medical teams descend on Indianapolis for the combine. I don't know Bell's injury history but I believe all the NFL teams do and the interest he's received on the market indicates the concern. Again, there are many teams in need of upgrades on their Oline, or at least to have solid depth. Even the Packers appear to be just kicking the tires a bit although they might end up signing him.

Since we didn't do anything in FA to address the Oline my position hasn't changed...we need a step function up in talent and we should make the commitment early in the draft rather than relying on another veteran with question marks.

He's not better if he can't get on the field due to injuries. For years people on this board complained about bringing in injury prone players (some have complained about drafting Carimi for that reason). Will Bell be better when he's on the field...yes. Will he be better when he's on the bench injured? Ok, there might be some debate about that one :)

Eschewing a player because he happened to get injured is not the point. Injuries add up over time and can diminish a players ability. A consistent trend also is indication a player is more likely to get injured again. Like it or not, some people are not as flexible as others, or don't have ligaments as strong as others. There's a reason so many medical teams descend on Indianapolis for the combine. I don't know Bell's injury history but I believe all the NFL teams do and the interest he's received on the market indicates the concern. Again, there are many teams in need of upgrades on their Oline, or at least to have solid depth. Even the Packers appear to be just kicking the tires a bit although they might end up signing him.

Since we didn't do anything in FA to address the Oline my position hasn't changed...we need a step function up in talent and we should make the commitment early in the draft rather than relying on another veteran with question marks.

Agreed

I agree with the approach (early drafted rookie over busted up pro), but I also think regardless of injury history, if dude can get on the field at all, he's better than Webb.

Not sure where else to stick it and not going to start a new thread, the Bears are at least starting to convince reporters that they are ready to go into this season with Webb at LT except having him in a scheme where he's not out on an island all the time.

It's always possible that the Bears could draft an offensive lineman or two next month, but Smith suggested the Bears have addressed their blocking schemes more than they have their personnel.

Asked why the Bears didn't sign a veteran lineman, Smith said: "That would be saying we don't feel comfortable with [our current players], and that's not the case."

Smith said he feels "comfortable" with Webb at left tackle but didn't rule out the possibility that Carimi could eventually play there. Webb absorbed 15 accepted penalties in 2011, the third-highest total for any player in the NFL, and our friends at Pro Football Focus attributed 12 sacks to him -- the second-highest total among NFL tackles.

"You can look at the situations sometimes dictating that," Smith said. "Every tackle in the league can look bad at times. There are some things you have to do to help him out a little bit more at times, which we plan to do. You can make a case and throw out stats on what he did, but I think it's hard for all tackles in the league to block Julius Peppers from time to time.

"We feel like we have a good plan at the left tackle. … We have all of our options open right now, but if we end up playing J'Marcus Webb at left tackle next year, we'll be comfortable with that."

Smith, of course, is referring to an important shift the Bears are working on as they transition from Mike Martz's offense to the one run by new offensive coordinator Mike Tice. If all goes as planned, Tice will provide Bears linemen with better numbers and more chances for double-teams while limiting the one-on-one opportunities defenders get.

You never like to hear a team making plans to protect its left tackle, let alone any offensive lineman. But as we've discussed many times, there are only a handful of left tackles in the NFL who can account for their assignments without regular help. Unless something dramatic happens in the draft, that's what the Bears appear headed for. Giving Webb and his teammates more help will have to do, at least for now.

Despite the fact that Lovie's quotes from today make me absolutely sick, I think they'll go OG in round 2 or 3 and OT in round 4 or 5, whether he projects as LT or RT (probably RT or else he wouldn't begoing in the 4th or 5th rounds). This OG can compete from the start but will likely only see playing time if (when) Webb sucks and Williams moves to LT. He'll also compete with Louis for the RG spot. The 4th/5th round OT will be a back-up but will continue to be polished up for 1 or 2 years. Hopefully at that point, he can play some LT.