Bears and Patriots talking about Matt Forte

Wesson44

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_..._trade/10408522

Rumor: Bears and Patriots are in talks about a Matt Forte trade Written by Brett Solesky | 26 March 2012

According to a report that has been accurate of late in the news and rumor and gossip reporting business the Bears are talking with teams to trade Matt Forte. The report comes from a twitter account that I was clued into via one of my followers.

The report is simple the Bears are in talks with the New England Patriots about a trade involving Forte for a second round pick and a fourth round pick. The report insists that the trade talks have picked up in the last 48 hours witht he only snag being the Bears insisting on an additional high pick in either this year's or next year's draft. The report goes on to state that the talks seem to be fairly strong in nature and the incarcerated bob twitter sources expects to get a deal done fairly soon.

I don't know how accurate or legit the account is but it sounds like it's been pretty accurate over the last week regarding some other sports news. I also can't say I have any other source on this matter other than this twitter handle connected to this website. There is no Bears beat writer account or rumor confirming or nothing else.

Be that as it may what is making decide to report this rumor is the Brandon Marshall trade. The idea or rumor at the time was the Bears trading two third round draft picks for Marshall. This year's third round draft picks, which I summarily dismissed. Mud in my eye since the Bears did one better trading next year and one of this year's third round picks for Marshall instead.

Something else that makes me think that this trade rumor may have legs is the article from the Chicago Sun Times. The report seemed absolute coming from Ted Phillips. In the report Phillips states ""But we feel we've made a strong offer to him, and are still hopeful he accepts it." That statement from Phillips doesn't sound like there's a lot of room for negotiation. The statement doesn't say they are in ongoing negotiations, that statement says they have made a strong fair offer that they feel Forte should accept. I wonder if this is an offer that Forte must accept, or that the Bears are going to trade him away instead?

While I don't like to deal in hyperbole or rumors I feel like I should at least put this out there for a point of discussion. Do the Bears trade Matt Forte to the Patriots and Tom Brady? Is a second round and a fourth round pick a good deal for the Bears? Are they right to insist on more in terms of this trading away of Matt Forte? Do you have the confidence in first year, first EVER general manager Phil Emery to not get fleeced by the Patriots in a deal for Forte?

This is the report and the talk from Phillips is how I interpreted things as they state with Forte. The Bears may very well be in talks to trade Forte, we don't know because the Bears have done a superb early job of keeping things locked up at Halas Hall under Emery.

At the very least this news is something to watch especially as the draft gets closer, trade talks typically tend to heat up the closer the draft draws near.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_..._trade/10408522

Rumor: Bears and Patriots are in talks about a Matt Forte trade Written by Brett Solesky | 26 March 2012

According to a report that has been accurate of late in the news and rumor and gossip reporting business the Bears are talking with teams to trade Matt Forte. The report comes from a twitter account that I was clued into via one of my followers.

The report is simple the Bears are in talks with the New England Patriots about a trade involving Forte for a second round pick and a fourth round pick. The report insists that the trade talks have picked up in the last 48 hours witht he only snag being the Bears insisting on an additional high pick in either this year's or next year's draft. The report goes on to state that the talks seem to be fairly strong in nature and the incarcerated bob twitter sources expects to get a deal done fairly soon.

I don't know how accurate or legit the account is but it sounds like it's been pretty accurate over the last week regarding some other sports news. I also can't say I have any other source on this matter other than this twitter handle connected to this website. There is no Bears beat writer account or rumor confirming or nothing else.

Be that as it may what is making decide to report this rumor is the Brandon Marshall trade. The idea or rumor at the time was the Bears trading two third round draft picks for Marshall. This year's third round draft picks, which I summarily dismissed. Mud in my eye since the Bears did one better trading next year and one of this year's third round picks for Marshall instead.

Something else that makes me think that this trade rumor may have legs is the article from the Chicago Sun Times. The report seemed absolute coming from Ted Phillips. In the report Phillips states ""But we feel we've made a strong offer to him, and are still hopeful he accepts it." That statement from Phillips doesn't sound like there's a lot of room for negotiation. The statement doesn't say they are in ongoing negotiations, that statement says they have made a strong fair offer that they feel Forte should accept. I wonder if this is an offer that Forte must accept, or that the Bears are going to trade him away instead?

While I don't like to deal in hyperbole or rumors I feel like I should at least put this out there for a point of discussion. Do the Bears trade Matt Forte to the Patriots and Tom Brady? Is a second round and a fourth round pick a good deal for the Bears? Are they right to insist on more in terms of this trading away of Matt Forte? Do you have the confidence in first year, first EVER general manager Phil Emery to not get fleeced by the Patriots in a deal for Forte?

This is the report and the talk from Phillips is how I interpreted things as they state with Forte. The Bears may very well be in talks to trade Forte, we don't know because the Bears have done a superb early job of keeping things locked up at Halas Hall under Emery.

At the very least this news is something to watch especially as the draft gets closer, trade talks typically tend to heat up the closer the draft draws near.

I find that hard to believe, because I think they are trying to make a run at SB this year considering the age of the defense and they are a better team with Forte than without him. Plus they have a control of him, I think he has to sign the tender or accept a contract before they could even think of trading him. If they were actually in trade talks, they were be some other place it would show up. To many bodies involved.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Forte if the return was a high second round pick or better. I think we could function well offensively with Bush and a rookie with speed, and I think Forte is only going to become less productive from here out. He had a ton of carries at Tulane, so his body has taken a beating. The history of productivity of backs signing big-money contracts is pretty terrible.

That said, take a look at the next rumor on the site. It states that the Rams are considering making a push for Mike Wallace. It isn't often that you can prove that a rumor is categorically false, but this is one of those times. If a team wants to sign a first-round tendered RFA, they would have to surrunder their ORIGINAL first round pick to do so. If they traded their first for someone else's first, they can't sign that RFA. This is to prevent teams from trading their first with the team at the end of the first round to give up as little as possible for the RFA.

Since the Rams already traded their first rounder with the Skins (and wouldn't have given it up for Mike Wallace anyway) they absolutely cannot sign Mike Wallace. This rumor is 100% fabricated, and fabricated by someone without a lot of NFL knowledge. So take the Forte rumor with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Forte if the return was a high second round pick or better. I think we could function well offensively with Bush and a rookie with speed, and I think Forte is only going to become less productive from here out. He had a ton of carries at Tulane, so his body has taken a beating. The history of productivity of backs signing big-money contracts is pretty terrible.

That said, take a look at the next rumor on the site. It states that the Rams are considering making a push for Mike Wallace. It isn't often that you can prove that a rumor is categorically false, but this is one of those times. If a team wants to sign a first-round tendered RFA, they would have to surrunder their ORIGINAL first round pick to do so. If they traded their first for someone else's first, they can't sign that RFA. This is to prevent teams from trading their first with the team at the end of the first round to give up as little as possible for the RFA.

Since the Rams already traded their first rounder with the Skins (and wouldn't have given it up for Mike Wallace anyway) they absolutely cannot sign Mike Wallace. This rumor is 100% fabricated, and fabricated by someone without a lot of NFL knowledge. So take the Forte rumor with a grain of salt.

I agree with you and this rumor was started by this guy that starts a lot of crap rumors. So I wouldn't believe it. That said, I guarantee the Pats make a call, but I'm asking for one of there 1st and a 3rd. Not sure if the Bears end up getting that but the Pats 2nd is a late 2nd rounder. If Forte tells me he really doesn't want to play with the Bears, I figure out if Barber really wants to retire (if he doesn't, he can still play with the Bears as a backup to Bush along with Bell), and I cut a deal hoping to get a 1st and another pick. I'd be willing to settle at a 2nd and a 3rd from a team.

If the Patriots want to give the Bears a 2nd, 4th, and the Bears get another high pick next year (2nd or 3rd), how could the Bears NOT do that?

What running back options could the Bears target in the 2nd round this year or in free agency? They'd need another body at that position this year, but clearing the $7 million franchise tag and coming up with another 2nd rounder this year would give them a good amount of room to overcome the loss.

What running back options could the Bears target in the 2nd round this year or in free agency? They'd need another body at that position this year, but clearing the $7 million franchise tag and coming up with another 2nd rounder this year would give them a good amount of room to overcome the loss.

David Wilson from Virginia Tech, Doug Martin from Boise State, and Lamar Miller from Miami are the three guys that come to mind right away.

David Wilson from Virginia Tech, Doug Martin from Boise State, and Lamar Miller from Miami are the three guys that come to mind right away.

Or hell, for that matter the Bears could go with Bush as their #1 and pick up LaMichael James as a change of pace back in the third/fourth.

If the deal is sweet, I don't have a problem with the trade. 1st and a 3rd oughta do it.

It's BEAR DOWN!, not Forte DOWN.

Yeah...I'd really want to get a 1st for Forte...or at least multiple 2's. Damn Pat's have picks falling out of their pockets...

Or hell, for that matter the Bears could go with Bush as their #1 and pick up LaMichael James as a change of pace back in the third/fourth.

If the deal is sweet, I don't have a problem with the trade. 1st and a 3rd oughta do it.

It's BEAR DOWN!, not Forte DOWN.

Forte is one of the top 5 running backs in the league. He's worth way more to the team than a 2nd and a 4th or even a first. He's the guy that people spend top ten picks, hoping the running back they draft can one day develop into him. I just don't get all the Forte hate from Bears fans.

Not sure you're confusing hate w/ being pragmatic.

The ball is in Forte's court. He's been tagged. Just like Ray Rice, who happens not to be bitching up a storm...at all. If Forte plays, then rock n roll! If he holds out, I am pissed. Just as he has the right to hold out, I have the right to be pissed off about it.

I really do want him on the team...and for a number of years. I just think we should prepare ourselves either for a holdout or a trade. And if either happen, I want the best for the team overall.

Forte is one of the top 5 running backs in the league. He's worth way more to the team than a 2nd and a 4th or even a first. He's the guy that people spend top ten picks, hoping the running back they draft can one day develop into him. I just don't get all the Forte hate from Bears fans.

Are you defining "Hate" as anything other than just giving him anything he wants? I ask because he probably has only 2-3 more years as a top 5 in the league RB. Granted, he could do it for longer, but I don't see the point in giving him a contract as he will. If he does, then that's unexpected due to the high number of miles he has on his wheels.

Yes perhaps Forte is "one of the top 5" but not the best. What if Bush turns out to be just as good? What if the team gave in and paid an exorbanant amount of money to make Matt happy? But then isn't able to properly address other needs on the team because of it? What if Briggs decides to play his version of this game and because Forte gets what he wants then he too could start his latest rant?

If Matt were a Walter Payton, Neal Anderson or a Gayle Sayers, I would hope the the team would do more and bend over backwards to accommodate him. But like the Colts and Manning are finding out, you're only as good as the best 53 players (not 1 or two) players that you can field. This is a business and must be addressed accordingly. Forte is a part of the machine, not just the machine. Bush and Bell might just do in the meantime and perhaps Matt is better served on another team or come to the realization that he is better off where he is.

I think Forte is getting a bit of a bad rap here. He had one or two tweets expressing his frustration with the situaiton. Other than that, he's been remarkably professional about all this.

If I'm the Bears, I don't sign him long term unless he'll take a below-market contract. Market value for contracts for running backs far exceeds their value on the football team. There aren't many examples of running backs who lived up to their big-mooney free agent deals, so most of the time you are paying for past performance. If he's willing to take a deal that pays him 6-8 per year and the Bears can get out of it after 3 years, then fine. Otherwise they might as well tag him twice and then bid him adieu.

As for as trade value goes, I don't see him having much more than second round value. He may be one of the 5 or 10 best backs in the NFL, but two things significantly limit what we could expect to get back in a deal. First, running backs aren't highly valued anymore. RBs are getting pushed farther and farther down draft boards because people are seeing how short their careers are, and how easily replaceable they are. Second, he wants a lot of money. The list of teams willing to give up a premium pick AND give a big contract to a RB coming off a knee injury who had a TON of carries in college and the pros is likely pretty short.

I'd think the Browns second round pick is the very best we could hope for. The Patriots second rounder and some later picks also sounds about right. Marshawn Lynch is the most recent comp I can think of, and Seattle got him for a 4th rounder. Forte carries more value, but still, there's no way we are getting a first rounder, let alone a first rounder plus additional picks. Just my opinion.

Or you convince Barber to unretire and you are in business.

Their 2nd round and 4th round picks are essentially a 3rd and a 5th. Belicheck would be raping us in the ass with that move. To put it simply, does a back end 2nd round pick get you any closer to a Superbowl than what Matt Forte gives you? The answer is no, and it's not even close.

I'm not doubting the rumor, because there is some substance to it-- Patriots lost their starting RB to free agency, we have a disgruntled star RB looking for a team to give him a long term extension.. It makes sense that the Patriots would be interested. But the deal is just woefully one sided that it doesn't even warrant a response until they get serious and add their two 1st round picks.

The other side to this story is, do the Bears want to run the risk of potentially handing New England another Superbowl? You put Matt Forte with Tom Brady, in that system? Good god.. The Bears are going for it NOW. Not next season or the year after. They are putting all their eggs in one basket, and that's to win it all this year. The defense is getting older, Peppers, Urlacher, and Briggs are all starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This may be the last quality season we see out of these guys before their skills begin to drastically decline. Trading Forte just to trade him makes no sense because you can hang onto him for another year after this one if you want to tag him again.

I don't think the conversation can be taken seriously until the Bears ask New England for both of their late first round picks. If they aren't willing to do that, no deal.

Their 2nd round and 4th round picks are essentially a 3rd and a 5th. Belicheck would be raping us in the ass with that move. To put it simply, does a back end 2nd round pick get you any closer to a Superbowl than what Matt Forte gives you? The answer is no, and it's not even close.

The reason to do this would be to get the extra pick next year. 2nd and a 4th wouldn't be enough for me...those picks and the cap space would essentially just be spent trying to replace Forte.

Forte was drafted and since has basically been the only bright side of the offense since. That's no dig on Cutler, but whether it be the line, coordinators, or receives, the passing game has struggled. In fact, he's been the Bears most reliable receiver also.

He wasn't "Paid", didn't get a big contract when he was drafted. Since he way beyond, met expectations. His contract is up, and he is ready to get "Paid", and I think he deserves it. I'm not saying break the bank, but don't low ball him either. Not one person on the board actually knows the offer that was made or what Forte is expecting.

The only thing known are either rumors, speculation, or taking managements word that a fair offer was made. Now, I'm not trying to say he was low balled, just saying that we have no clue what is going on there.

What we do know is the effort we've seen on the field from him. What you get with him on the field is worth more than a 2nd or even a first imho. His "fair market" value may be a 2nd and a 4th, but he's worth much more to the Bears when you look at the team. Forte may "only" have a couple years left as a top 5 back, but how many years does Urlacher have left or Tillman or Peppers or Briggs?

Basically what I'm saying is, the team is ready to win now and has to win now. If you lose forte, you lose a very special player and really hurt your chances of winning a championship while this defense is together. A second and a 4th, or any other combination of draft picks this year, are not contribute what Forte can by the time the window of opportunity closes on the defense and this team.

What I'm defining as hate, is a player busting his ass and contributing the most on offense side of the ball that this team has seen since Walter Payton, and people would be happy to see him go for a 2nd round pick, just because there is a contract dispute that no one knows the details about. That to me is just ridiculous, and there for I used the word hate. It may be the wrong word, but I could careless about the business side. I know what I've seen on the field, I know what he offers this team. I have no clue on what's going on between him, his agent, Emery, or JA when he was here and made the "fair offer", nor do I care to.

There's no easy replacing him. The guy was on a ridiculous pace this year, the likes the Bears have never seen, prior to his injury, and the guy still made the pro bowl even tho he missed those games. He's 26, has 4 to 5 good years left in him, I'm seriously at a loss for people thinking a 2nd and a 4th is a fair deal.

I'm not doubting the rumor, because there is some substance to it-- Patriots lost their starting RB to free agency, we have a disgruntled star RB looking for a team to give him a long term extension.. It makes sense that the Patriots would be interested. But the deal is just woefully one sided that it doesn't even warrant a response until they get serious and add their two 1st round picks.

The other side to this story is, do the Bears want to run the risk of potentially handing New England another Superbowl? You put Matt Forte with Tom Brady, in that system? Good god.. The Bears are going for it NOW. Not next season or the year after. They are putting all their eggs in one basket, and that's to win it all this year. The defense is getting older, Peppers, Urlacher, and Briggs are all starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This may be the last quality season we see out of these guys before their skills begin to drastically decline. Trading Forte just to trade him makes no sense because you can hang onto him for another year after this one if you want to tag him again.

I don't think the conversation can be taken seriously until the Bears ask New England for both of their late first round picks. If they aren't willing to do that, no deal.

And this is of course knowing for a fact that it wouldn't be the 48th overall pick that the Patriots received from Oakland, right?

This isn't about winning a Super Bowl. I doubt any NFC team hesitates making a deal with an AFC team because of the potential of meeting up in the Super Bowl. Brady and Forte would be a great combo, for now, but what about in 4 years, when Brady will be making $18 million annually and Forte anywhere between $8-10 million?

Of course the Bears are "going for it" this year, but is a fresh rookie who has the potential to be dynamic teamed with Michael Bush really a huge drop off from Matt Forte, who has TONS of mileage on him? I'm not sure. Like you posted the other day, what Super Bowl winner over the past handful of years has had a GREAT back on their team?

And again, you're assuming the Bears can "hang onto Forte for another year." What if he continues to say no to the Bears FAIR offer and he holds out? Then what?

This is all sort of useless to talk about though, because Adam Schefter tweeted about an hour ago that this will not happen.

Forte from all reports is asking for something the Bears want no part of. Ted Phillips stated that his contract was on par with RB contracts today.

"Our goal with Matt is to keep him a Bear as long as possible. We have made offers on long-term deals that we think reward him at a high level, the level he deserves. We haven't been able to reach common ground. The door is open to keep talking. If we get a deal done, we'll be happy. If we don't, then the deal we have is the franchise tag and we'll see what happens after this year."

Phillips said general manager Phil Emery and team negotiator Cliff Stein have had contract discussions with Forte agent Adisa Bakari and there is a long-term contract on the table. Phillips said Forte has been given a "very strong offer," which is reflective of Forte's value as one of the NFL's top running backs.

And from everything Phillips said they are quite a bit apart.

Phillips said the Bears and Forte have different opinions of Forte's perceived value. Forte has recently complained of feeling disrespected.

"At that position, especially last year where a lot of running backs signed long-term deals and didn't stay healthy, it makes it difficult," Phillips said.

It appears the Bear put allot incentives in the contract. That with little guarantees could make it a contention for Forte.. The Bears did the right thing signing Bush . Forte may hold out. If so Trade him and draft a rookie to go along with Bush.

Those quotes form the trib site

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,1077310.column