Bears sign WR Devin Thomas

Stinger226

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess a very cheap no risk contract, this is the time of year teams pick up a bunch of camp fodder and see if any of the cow chips morph into roses.

ST is the key here, just another guy to look at, I wouldn't sweat the signing.

Remember when he was rated the best WR in draft class..

I'd forgot that till you mentioned it. I had to go back and look at www.nfl.com/draft/2008

Donny Avery was taken ahead of Thomas.

It's a good reminder as to how foolish everyone is on their pre-draft speculation. I like how DMC, Jonathan Stewart and Felix Jones were all drafted ahead of Chris Johnson.

My guess a very cheap no risk contract, this is the time of year teams pick up a bunch of camp fodder and see if any of the cow chips morph into roses.

ST is the key here, just another guy to look at, I wouldn't sweat the signing.

Agreed. With Knox's uncertainty we need depth at the position. The guy is a first round talent. For all we know he might start to blossom in our system. Not likely, but not impossible.

I think what everyone is concerned about is that we've done nothing to upgrade the offensive or defensive lines. I hope we can at least bring Okoye back.

I don't get this move.

What's there not to get? He's a ST player who will be the #5 WR. He'll take Sam Hurd's role...minus the drugs...I hope.

Also, he was the one who recovered Kyle Williams' fumble in the NFC title game last year in overtime. This gave NY the ball and the eventual win. Just an FYI.

Marshall

Bennett

ROOKIE

Hester

Thomas

Sanzenbacher

Plain and simple: a depth move.

Also, Toub has to be pumped. They lost Graham, but they added Costanzo, Weems, and now Thomas.

Remember when he was rated the best WR in draft class..

Ha!

Tell me about it. IIRC, he ran something like a 4.35 40 and had great size at 6'2 215. He was chosen by Washington along with another 2nd or 3rd round WR who I can't remember his name at the current time, but I do remember saying "man, they just loaded up at WR."

I had to laugh at that one.

I like the move. He still has potential.

I think this is a low cost replacement for Knox who might not play this year. I thought that we would pick up another in the draft or FA but I was shaking my head at this one until I read how big and fast he was. He makes the special teams a little faster if he gets on the field. Now I cant really compare him to Knox as far as being a WR and catching the ball........but word was he has talent and like I said is bigger than Knox. Now this may just give us the chance to draft OT in RD 1 or two or maybe just go BPA during the whole draft.

I like this move. Something tells me Toub has something to do with some of these moves of late. First Weems then Thomas. Both are pretty well touted Special Teams players. And I think with Weems the team adds another halfway decent WR. Thomas (as just mentioned in previous posts) is a younger player with much upside and potential. And... As I read up on him, a recent Super Bowl champion. That's gotta mean something.

You really can't blame him for not getting much action at WR on the Giants, they were pretty deep this year. Looking back to his last year in Washington, he was 4th on team in catches and yards for a WR. Jason Campbell was his QB that year.

You really can't blame him for not getting much action at WR on the Giants, they were pretty deep this year. Looking back to his last year in Washington, he was 4th on team in catches and yards for a WR. Jason Campbell was his QB that year.

Jason Campbell ? Hmmmmm!

Seriously this is a more versatile replacement for Roy Williams and the comments about him being a first round talent is untrue because he was drafted in the second round and has yet to realize his potential.Part may be due to his different QBs every other game but it may also be due to the fact that Michigan State WRs have been over-hyped through the years. Thats why I believe that the kid there now named BJ Cunningham is not rated so high even thoug he has a QB that is considered a early/late second day pick. I liked Cunningham as a late pick for the Bears but if you have Thomas who IMO is the same type of player with experience in the league see if you can catch lightning in a bottle. Yes I have had a few cocktails but, I would bring Roy Williams back to TC to at the least see if what he did at the end of the season can be something to look forward to.

Jason Campbell ? Hmmmmm!

Seriously this is a more versatile replacement for Roy Williams and the comments about him being a first round talent is untrue because he was drafted in the second round and has yet to realize his potential.Part may be due to his different QBs every other game but it may also be due to the fact that Michigan State WRs have been over-hyped through the years. Thats why I believe that the kid there now named BJ Cunningham is not rated so high even thoug he has a QB that is considered a early/late second day pick. I liked Cunningham as a late pick for the Bears but if you have Thomas who IMO is the same type of player with experience in the league see if you can catch lightning in a bottle. Yes I have had a few cocktails but, I would bring Roy Williams back to TC to at the least see if what he did at the end of the season can be something to look forward to.

I thought the same with Campbell. Maybe he has some insight. As far as the 1st round talent label goes, I think he's worthy. Heck, he was the 3rd pick of the 2nd round. Great size/speed combo too. Plus, he was highly productive in a run heavy offense. Agree on Roy Williams. If he shows up in shape, he makes the team. If he gets too winded to practice, cut his ass at the water fountain.(Better than Sanzenbacher)

I thought the same with Campbell. Maybe he has some insight. As far as the 1st round talent label goes, I think he's worthy. Heck, he was the 3rd pick of the 2nd round. Great size/speed combo too. Plus, he was highly productive in a run heavy offense. Agree on Roy Williams. If he shows up in shape, he makes the team. If he gets too winded to practice, cut his ass at the water fountain.(Better than Sanzenbacher)

I disagree because so far he has done nothing to suggest that he was worthy of being a first round pick. He was on his second team since being drafted and basically playing special teams. True first round talent don't play his role on special teams.

I disagree because so far he has done nothing to suggest that he was worthy of being a first round pick. He was on his second team since being drafted and basically playing special teams. True first round talent don't play his role on special teams.

Talent and the level you achieve in life are separate things. He may be playing ST's because he's still on the floor, while Weems may be playing because he's at the ceiling. Never know what situations lead them both cheaply to the Bears. I'm just agreeing on the 1st RD talent statement in that he had great production out of college, along with great measurables.

Talent and the level you achieve in life are separate things. He may be playing ST's because he's still on the floor, while Weems may be playing because he's at the ceiling. Never know what situations lead them both cheaply to the Bears. I'm just agreeing on the 1st RD talent statement in that he had great production out of college, along with great measurables.

I agree with that but if you look at some history with the Spartan WR prospects you tend to see them being a little over-hyped. Lets name some names:

Devin Thomas 2008 2nd Rd

Charles Rogers 2003 1st Rd

Herb Haygood 2002 5th Rd

Plaxico Buress 2000 1st Rd

Musin Muhammad 2nd Rd

None of thes guys stayed with their team that drafted them except Moose. Moose BTW should have been considered a first round talent!

What's there not to get? He's a ST player who will be the #5 WR. He'll take Sam Hurd's role...minus the drugs...I hope.

Also, he was the one who recovered Kyle Williams' fumble in the NFC title game last year in overtime. This gave NY the ball and the eventual win. Just an FYI.

Marshall

Bennett

ROOKIE

Hester

Thomas

Sanzenbacher

Plain and simple: a depth move.

Also, Toub has to be pumped. They lost Graham, but they added Costanzo, Weems, and now Thomas.

Tell me about it. IIRC, he ran something like a 4.35 40 and had great size at 6'2 215. He was chosen by Washington along with another 2nd or 3rd round WR who I can't remember his name at the current time, but I do remember saying "man, they just loaded up at WR."

Weems is on that depth chart instead of Sanz.

Jason Campbell ? Hmmmmm!

I would rather not see RW in a Bears uniform again, He makes a couple of good catches, then drops a big one for ya. I would rather have some new blood to look at. He just seems to not have the mind set to play consistently and you just cant count on him.

I would rather not see RW in a Bears uniform again, He makes a couple of good catches, then drops a big one for ya. I would rather have some new blood to look at. He just seems to not have the mind set to play consistently and you just cant count on him.

Roy Williams isn't coming back, I think that's abundantly clear. If they actually had any desire to have him back, they wouldn't have waited to sign him, and they wouldn't ahve made this signing.

I agree with that but if you look at some history with the Spartan WR prospects you tend to see them being a little over-hyped. Lets name some names:

Devin Thomas 2008 2nd Rd

Charles Rogers 2003 1st Rd

Herb Haygood 2002 5th Rd

Plaxico Buress 2000 1st Rd

Musin Muhammad 2nd Rd

None of thes guys stayed with their team that drafted them except Moose. Moose BTW should have been considered a first round talent!

Not sure if it matters or is worth mentioning but Kellen Davis is from Mich State.

Was a fifth round pick and is currently the team's starting TE

Williams, for the right $$ why not? Depending on his work in camps. Last year we were hoping he would be our missing link, a #1 WR. We found out quickly he is not a #1 WR. We have a legit #1 now with Brandon. However, for depth on the team, he would be a decent sign, again, low $$ contract.