Bears sign WR Devin Thomas

Stinger226

Williams, for the right $$ why not? Depending on his work in camps. Last year we were hoping he would be our missing link, a #1 WR. We found out quickly he is not a #1 WR. We have a legit #1 now with Brandon. However, for depth on the team, he would be a decent sign, again, low $$ contract.

At this point, I think it's a case of "The devil we don't know is better than the devil we do". You know what Williams is going to bring, it's not a lot, you can get the same production from guys who are younger and might well fill their roles even better, so try out one of the younger guys and see if they stick.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, I think it's a case of "The devil we don't know is better than the devil we do". You know what Williams is going to bring, it's not a lot, you can get the same production from guys who are younger and might well fill their roles even better, so try out one of the younger guys and see if they stick.

Interesting thought. Depending on the $$, I'd potentially be inclined to agree. Roy was given his shot and he didn't do nearly as well as expected. Having said that, however, Roy put up almost as much last year, in a "bad" year, than Thomas has his entire career.

Good signing here. Depth at WR with the size and athletic ability but more importantly he plays special teams well. Roy Williams and Sanzenbacher are gone. If anything, at this point they keep Knox as #6 if he truly is headed back to the field, or is that Weems who is our 6th WR? I really don't expect Thomas will be anything more than what he already is but in terms of all around contributions to the team he's better that Roy Williams.

Good signing here. Depth at WR with the size and athletic ability but more importantly he plays special teams well. Roy Williams and Sanzenbacher are gone. If anything, at this point they keep Knox as #6 if he truly is headed back to the field, or is that Weems who is our 6th WR? I really don't expect Thomas will be anything more than what he already is but in terms of all around contributions to the team he's better that Roy Williams.

its a low risk move, gives us options, trying to make Hester a #1, dumb,taking a chance on Thomas as a #5, smarter

Interesting thought. Depending on the $$, I'd potentially be inclined to agree. Roy was given his shot and he didn't do nearly as well as expected. Having said that, however, Roy put up almost as much last year, in a "bad" year, than Thomas has his entire career.

But then, Thomas was behind guys like Manningham and Nicks last year, while Williams was the main option when he was healthy enough to be on the field (also an issue). Obviously that suggests that Thomas isn't going to come out and catch 90 balls next year, but the Bears don't need him to do that now that they traded for Marshall.

If Thomas comes out and catches 25 balls next year like he did in Washington 2010, that might well be all the Bears need him to do, and I'm also going to imagine that he'd be more content with that role than Roy Williams.

...and Thomas plays special teams...

But then, Thomas was behind guys like Manningham and Nicks last year, while Williams was the main option when he was healthy enough to be on the field (also an issue). Obviously that suggests that Thomas isn't going to come out and catch 90 balls next year, but the Bears don't need him to do that now that they traded for Marshall.

If Thomas comes out and catches 25 balls next year like he did in Washington 2010, that might well be all the Bears need him to do, and I'm also going to imagine that he'd be more content with that role than Roy Williams.

We already have our #2 and #3. I believe we are done at the WR position unless a steal is upgrade is available at a price to good to pass up.

Marshall

Bennett

Hester

Thomas

Sanzenbacher

Weems

(KNOX-IR)

If your counting Hester as our #3 thats not a good thing. We will be drafting a Wr in the draft. Hopefully to be our #2 and Bennett our #3 and we will be in good shape.

If your counting Hester as our #3 thats not a good thing. We will be drafting a Wr in the draft. Hopefully to be our #2 and Bennett our #3 and we will be in good shape.

Now, I'm at the point where I have some trouble seeing the Bears spending another roster spot on the WR position...especially with all the D-Linemen they usually carry.

If they're giving an extra roster spot to a WR/Special Teams guy this year, it's a roster spot that was freed up by Omiyale leaving or Graham leaving, which weakens the depth at those positions, where people quite commonly get hurt.

Now, I'm at the point where I have some trouble seeing the Bears spending another roster spot on the WR position...especially with all the D-Linemen they usually carry.

If they're giving an extra roster spot to a WR/Special Teams guy this year, it's a roster spot that was freed up by Omiyale leaving or Graham leaving, which weakens the depth at those positions, where people quite commonly get hurt.

I dont think all on that list of WRs will be on the team. I think they keep 6 listed as WRs, one more than last year.

Next year Bennett will be our #2. Thats why we extended him. We can want a better #2 playing opposite, but it won't happen. Maybe we draft someone to groom? but the Bears intentions are for him to be the #2 on the field after Marshall.

Hester will look much better playing in the slot, if he can learn that. He should be a great #3 slot WR. If he cannot learn it, then Bennett will play more z while Hester plays Y. Either way, that a lot of $ in the WR position.

My wild card thought is the signing of Thomas/Weems might be a sign the Bears try to deal Hester, but I can never see us getting good value from that.

Next year Bennett will be our #2. Thats why we extended him. We can want a better #2 playing opposite, but it won't happen. Maybe we draft someone to groom? but the Bears intentions are for him to be the #2 on the field after Marshall.

Hester will look much better playing in the slot, if he can learn that. He should be a great #3 slot WR. If he cannot learn it, then Bennett will play more z while Hester plays Y. Either way, that a lot of $ in the WR position.

My wild card thought is the signing of Thomas/Weems might be a sign the Bears try to deal Hester, but I can never see us getting good value from that.

What you pay a guy doesnt determine his valve. We paid Hester a good paycheck and said he was a #1, he barely resembles a #4 on a good team.

What you pay a guy doesnt determine his valve. We paid Hester a good paycheck and said he was a #1, he barely resembles a #4 on a good team.

That's a terrible example. We gave the most dynamic return man to ever play the game a big contract hoping he could be a #1. He's earned every dollar IMO. Just not as a WR.

I dont think all on that list of WRs will be on the team. I think they keep 6 listed as WRs, one more than last year.

We had 6 last year (Knox, Williams, Bennett, Hester, Sanz, and Hurd), we lost Knox, Williams and Hurd - and gained Marshall, Weems, and Thomas. So we are still at 6.

We had 6 last year (Knox, Williams, Bennett, Hester, Sanz, and Hurd), we lost Knox, Williams and Hurd - and gained Marshall, Weems, and Thomas. So we are still at 6.

That will soon change after the draft, I would say Sanz will be leaving but it might be one of the new guys.

Lovie did no favors for Hester by calling him a #1 WR. He didn't do any favors for the team either in ratcheting up his value in that way. He set the bar higher than Hester could achieve but at least there was some reconciliation and they allowed him to step back into his specialty as a returner and part time receiver. In short, Lovie thought he had the second coming of Steve Smith of the Panthers but he was wrong.

Bennett doesn't seem to get much credit here but I like him...a lot. He's not flashy but when he's on the field he is very productive..unless Caleb Hanie is behind center. A 2nd or 3rd Rd WR should compliment the current group just fine.