3.5 million left?

azbearsfan

I think so too. It really narrows down what we are going to take in the first round to DL/OL IMO. Maybe CB.

Yep, and it is better to be able to narrow down BPA to only a few positions. It sort of makes the picks a little easier, and if a few are available at each pick, we could always look to trade down a few slots, gain a pick, and still get the guy we wanted. I really like our position heading into the draft.

Guest TerraTor

IMO ..... I think as far as filling holes we did very little in actual free agency

the Marshall trade was second to none... but way I see it

we signed three scrubs and two backups

IMO ..... I think as far as filling holes we did very little in actual free agency

Who are the scrubs, and who are the backups?

The only thing that bothers me is not addressing the OL, but we still can in the draft, I dont think in any one offseason you can fill all your needs. I think we shored up some areas but need to have a huge draft and hit on 3 to 4 players that make a contribution. The draft is where Emery expertise is, so we will know in a month how we did.

I hate agreeing with you Terra. But we had among the most cap space available and added exactly one starter.

I do like the Michael Bush signing. We overpaid for a back-up QB. And we signed a bunch of filler players.

That's it?

I hate agreeing with you Terra. But we had among the most cap space available and added exactly one starter.

I do like the Michael Bush signing. We overpaid for a back-up QB. And we signed a bunch of filler players.

That's it?

Guest TerraTor

That's it?

I'm glad someone shares my opinion. To be honest, I wanted no part of VJack. Colston, ok... But making the trade for Marshall was true greatness

Now we are banking on rookies to start on both OL/DL... I have much more faith in the new brass than Angelo, but still

We drafted a true LT who hasn't played there a whole season and Carimi didnt finish his first. This is why I think we shoulda signed at least someone that can come in and start at either position. J Webb is by far the worst starting LT in the league, that is just about un-debatable.

In addition, both of these "WR" we signed do not add depth. Adding depth means u have more than 2 starters, which is not the case. and we needed an OLB and got a guy a who has never started a game there....

I'm glad someone shares my opinion. To be honest, I wanted no part of VJack. Colston, ok... But making the trade for Marshall was true greatness

Now we are banking on rookies to start on both OL/DL... I have much more faith in the new brass than Angelo, but still

We drafted a true LT who hasn't played there a whole season and Carimi didnt finish his first. This is why I think we shoulda signed at least someone that can come in and start at either position. J Webb is by far the worst starting LT in the league, that is just about un-debatable.

In addition, both of these "WR" we signed do not add depth. Adding depth means u have more than 2 starters, which is not the case. and we needed an OLB and got a guy a who has never started a game there....

Again I hate agreeing with you. We have a bad o-line and bad d-line (minus Peppers)

We did add WR depth. Except depth doesn't equate to good. We replaced Sam Hurd & Dane Sanzenbacher. Not helpful.

But I forget: Tice will be the guy who turns Hester into a good wr . . .

What would've been our record if we had Campbell and Bush last year with the same team? 11-5 at least? The point is, we aren't as bad off as some are making us out to be. Hell, with Marshall alone we probably would've won 2 more games than last year.

Each player that has been brought in is essentially better than the player they replaced. Campbell > Hanie, Bush > Barber, Weems/Costanza/Thomas > Graham/Knox, and obviously Marshall > entire Bears Receiving Corps. So the offense and special teams should be better with those acquisitions, and that is all you can really ask for. Looking at some of the contracts handed out, we could've probably gotten maybe one more major acquisition, but it would've sacrificed 3-4 of the other pick ups.

Now if we add OLine and defense in the draft, we can cover the other areas of need and also get younger on defense which is becoming critical at this point.

What would've been our record if we had Campbell and Bush last year with the same team? 11-5 at least? The point is, we aren't as bad off as some are making us out to be. Hell, with Marshall alone we probably would've won 2 more games than last year.

Each player that has been brought in is essentially better than the player they replaced. Campbell > Hanie, Bush > Barber, Weems/Costanza/Thomas > Graham/Knox, and obviously Marshall > entire Bears Receiving Corps. So the offense and special teams should be better with those acquisitions, and that is all you can really ask for. Looking at some of the contracts handed out, we could've probably gotten maybe one more major acquisition, but it would've sacrificed 3-4 of the other pick ups.

Now if we add OLine and defense in the draft, we can cover the other areas of need and also get younger on defense which is becoming critical at this point.

Well said.

too many people were smoking the Mario Williams pipe dream.

The additions in FA plus the draft this year, not to mention the removal of a certain horrific OC, we will be a better team this year.

Well said.

The additions in FA plus the draft this year, not to mention the removal of a certain horrific OC, we will be a better team this year.

That horrific OC was replaced by a guy who coached one of the worst lines in the league. A guy that has never been an OC before. The guy management had so little faith in him at OC, that they brought in a passing coordinator.

I agree with you on the Mario Williams front, just not so much about Tice being a significant upgrade or free agency.

That horrific OC was replaced by a guy who coached one of the worst lines in the league. A guy that has never been an OC before. The guy management had so little faith in him at OC, that they brought in a passing coordinator.

I agree with you on the Mario Williams front, just not so much about Tice being a significant upgrade or free agency.

Well that " Guy" you are talking about coached that worst Oline to the playoffs at 11-5 and then last year coached them to a 7-3 record headed back to the playoffs (before the QB went down) so cut him some slack....he also said this year he will be using our team by playing to its strenghts and not the way the previous OC did or didnt do.

Well that " Guy" you are talking about coached that worst Oline to the playoffs at 11-5 and then last year coached them to a 7-3 record headed back to the playoffs (before the QB went down) so cut him some slack....he also said this year he will be using our team by playing to its strenghts and not the way the previous OC did or didnt do.

I'm not a Martz fan, by any means, and the offense on those 11-5 and 7-3 teams was why he was fired/decided to resign. The glaring weakness in that offense was the offensive line, and those teams won in spite of it.

I know Jerry Angelo was fired partially due to the lack of talent on that line. Tice, however, in by no means deserved a promotion in my opinion, since he put a turd of an offensive line, however shiny he tried to make it, on the field.

I'll give him a chance, but I disagree with azbearfan that subtracting Martz and adding Tice will necessarily improve the team. They have both been subpar coaches for the last 10 years.

He, as was Martz, is living off an old reputation in a what have you done for me lately league. We saw how his promotion with the Vikings turned out, we'll soon see how this promotion turns out.

The fact that a team like the lowly Jags would only want him as a lowly TE coach and not an offensive line coach, and 31 other teams weren't interested in him as an Offensive Line coach, always made me question his credibility coming in. After seeing the Bears offensive the line the last couple years, I haven't changed my opinion.

I aslo disagree with him on how free agency was approached, due largely to the offensive line not being addressed once again.

I'm not a Martz fan, by any means, and the offense on those 11-5 and 7-3 teams was why he was fired/decided to resign. The glaring weakness in that offense was the offensive line, and those teams won in spite of it.

Yes I agree with you on this point

I know Jerry Angelo was fired partially due to the lack of talent on that line. Tice, however, in by no means deserved a promotion in my opinion, since he put a turd of an offensive line, however shiny he tried to make it, on the field.

Well he only put on the field what he had to work with...if you ask for water because you are thirsty and they give you beer do you not drink it?

I'll give him a chance, but I disagree with azbearfan that subtracting Martz and adding Tice will necessarily improve the team. They have both been subpar coaches for the last 10 years.

Maybe this is true but Tice will not be as determined to run a system thats not working and resist the need to change things...like Martz was

He, as was Martz, is living off an old reputation in a what have you done for me lately league. We saw how his promotion with the Vikings turned out, we'll soon see how this promotion turns out.

Well this is true but we will have to wait and see if he learned anything from that run with the Vikings

The fact that a team like the lowly Jags would only want him as a lowly TE coach and not an offensive line coach, and 31 other teams weren't interested in him as an Offensive Line coach, always made me question his credibility coming in. After seeing the Bears offensive the line the last couple years, I haven't changed my opinion.

Well do you know for a fact that no other team wanted him as an Offensive Line coach, maybe there were no positions open at the time or he didn't like the offers he was getting. But your opinion is just that....your opinion

I aslo disagree with him on how free agency was approached, due largely to the offensive line not being addressed once again.

Once again how do you know that he didn't ask for help and Emery shot him down saying lets work the draft and get what we need?[/b

Beilcheck was a lousy coach at Cleve and now he is some kind of a messiah. The point is we dont know how well this will work till he does it. I think he is a big upgrade to Martz, just because he will adjust to our talent we have instead of running a system. The OL was the worst, and now I will see what he can do with his input on personal. This year will say a lot about his ability to make an OL good and run a good offense.

That's it?

We better our team with Bush over Barber, Campbell over Hanie, and Marshall over everybody. You cant fix everything in one off season but we didnt have the money to due all the upgrades everybody thinks we should have done. I see us as a better team right now,and after the draft we will know more. I give him a C plus right now.(Emery) If we get a OT,DE, CB and some backups, I think we will be a lot better.

Interesting thoughts regarding Tice and how bad our Oline was/is. Forte ran for 4.9ypc behind that line last year. Bell ran for 4.2ypc behind the backup Oline. Barber ran for a Cedric Benson-like 3.8ypc and half the time he ran the wrong way on plays. At some point we have to accept that someone was blocking for those guys. Jay Cutler was on pace to set a team record for yards in a season.

I am by no means calling our Oline great, just pointing out that it's not all bad. I am also in the club of drafting an Oline player early in this draft. I was thinking we should go after LT since Webb is the biggest weakness but now as Jonathan Martin (the most likely candidate to be there at #19) appears to be more and more like Chris Williams, I think we should just put Williams back at LT and grab OG in Rd 2 or 3.

Regarding the concept of grabbing starting caliber players via FA. It's friggin' expensive. Teams that try to do that repeatedly don't usually fair well because they can't afford good depth players. For data I present last years' Eagles roster. Huge splashes in FA but no money to fill the other holes on D.

For us, I was hoping for an Oline starter or starting WR as our one big splash but in hindsight had we gotten two starters, say Nicks and Marshall, there just wouldn't be cap space to have Michael Bush, and Jason Campbell. We could have gone that way and I wouldn't be upset had we done so, however, I can't say we aren't just as well off or better having done what Emery did. Losing Cutler for a few games won't mean the end of our season. That alone makes us much better. There is still time to address other needs in the draft and FA. I doubt we'll get everything filled the way we'd like because there are just too many holes but a couple good picks in the draft at DE and Oline will go a long way to making the Bears a more complete team.

Tice may not be a worldbeater as an OC, but just the fact that the blocking schemes will change to include help when needed, plus the fact that Cutler will now be allowed to audible will make the offense better and the line better.

My hope is the playcalling will now follow some sort of logic instead of lunacy.

Interesting thoughts regarding Tice and how bad our Oline was/is. Forte ran for 4.9ypc behind that line last year. Bell ran for 4.2ypc behind the backup Oline. Barber ran for a Cedric Benson-like 3.8ypc and half the time he ran the wrong way on plays. At some point we have to accept that someone was blocking for those guys. Jay Cutler was on pace to set a team record for yards in a season.

I am by no means calling our Oline great, just pointing out that it's not all bad. I am also in the club of drafting an Oline player early in this draft. I was thinking we should go after LT since Webb is the biggest weakness but now as Jonathan Martin (the most likely candidate to be there at #19) appears to be more and more like Chris Williams, I think we should just put Williams back at LT and grab OG in Rd 2 or 3.

Regarding the concept of grabbing starting caliber players via FA. It's friggin' expensive. Teams that try to do that repeatedly don't usually fair well because they can't afford good depth players. For data I present last years' Eagles roster. Huge splashes in FA but no money to fill the other holes on D.

For us, I was hoping for an Oline starter or starting WR as our one big splash but in hindsight had we gotten two starters, say Nicks and Marshall, there just wouldn't be cap space to have Michael Bush, and Jason Campbell. We could have gone that way and I wouldn't be upset had we done so, however, I can't say we aren't just as well off or better having done what Emery did. Losing Cutler for a few games won't mean the end of our season. That alone makes us much better. There is still time to address other needs in the draft and FA. I doubt we'll get everything filled the way we'd like because there are just too many holes but a couple good picks in the draft at DE and Oline will go a long way to making the Bears a more complete team.

The bottom line is that once Martz was forced to run more and more of a run based offense, the line performed better.

I agree with you that all of our holes will not be fixed in one off season.

Guest TerraTor
Well said.

I dont recall ever chanting for Mario Williams... Just starting caliber bodies

I dont recall ever chanting for Mario Williams... Just starting caliber bodies

But again, aren't the Bears much better now than what they were in December? Last year they were a VERY GOOD team at 7-3 and then Cutler broke his thumb. If they had Bush and Campbell last year, they probably finish 10-6 and get in the playoffs.

I do agree that I wanted a DE or a DT, an impactful one at that, but it didn't happen, so I trust Emery to address that in the draft.