In all honesty...

Guest TerraTor

Yes but from the start of it I'm saying.. whatever we are paying weems, costanzo, Jason Campbell

Weems is a great ST player who does a fantastic job of returning kickoffs, unlike Hester. Costanzo is a big hitter on ST who will remind everyone of Ayanbedejo and provides LB depth. Campbell is a good insurance policy if Cutler goes down.

I don't know why everyone hates these signings.

Guest TerraTor

Just some stuff I dont get

Player 2012 Cap Hit

Kellen Davis 2.15M (18 receptions)

Tim Jennings 900k (OK, fine)

Erik Weems - 1.225M (um...)

Blake Costanzo 1.0M (um...)

Jason Campbell 3.5M (wow, reaLLy)

Brandon Marshall 10.4M (Dont care, id pay him 20)

Devin Thomas - minimum....but sucks

Mike Bush 3.55 (reportedly)

--------------------------------------

And for the record....

Chris Spencer - 3.75 (Ha!)

Matt Spaeth 2.25 (Thanks Mike and Jerry, cant block, or catch)

Nick Roach 2.5 (well, alright I suppose but really)

Guest TerraTor
Weems is a great ST player who does a fantastic job of returning kickoffs, unlike Hester. Costanzo is a big hitter on ST who will remind everyone of Ayanbedejo and provides LB depth. Campbell is a good insurance policy if Cutler goes down.

I don't know why everyone hates these signings.

Im sorry, Weems returned one, yes one, KO in his career... Hester, prior to Lovie's BS, was single handedly the best. Last season Weems longest was 37yards

I dont care about Weems or Costanzo best of luck,... but how is signing Free Agents for special teams improving the team? They didnt fix any holes?????

Im sorry, Weems returned one, yes one, KO in his career... Hester, prior to Lovie's BS, was single handedly the best. Last season Weems longest was 37yards

I dont care about Weems or Costanzo best of luck,... but how is signing Free Agents for special teams improving the team? They didnt fix any holes?????

I think with having Weems on ST he provides that "X factor" you've heard of. The way that Knox and D. Manning before him did. With Toub running the ST still and Weems being added, I like it. And remember its not necessarily about the KOR for TDs that count but starting field position. If Weems is able to add to that then by all means, welcome.

And with Costanzo, I thought the same thing. That he reminded me of Ayanbadejo (IMHO why Hester dropped off after he left for Baltimore). But adding Costanzo is not only helping in the ST dept but also beefing up the LB corps.

At this point (and most know how I LOVE mock drafts :shakehead) I'd have to speculate the team is looking at WR/CB/OL in the first few rounds.

Just some stuff I dont get

Player 2012 Cap Hit

Kellen Davis 2.15M (18 receptions)

Tim Jennings 900k (OK, fine)

Erik Weems - 1.225M (um...)

Blake Costanzo 1.0M (um...)

Jason Campbell 3.5M (wow, reaLLy)

Brandon Marshall 10.4M (Dont care, id pay him 20)

Devin Thomas - minimum....but sucks

Mike Bush 3.55 (reportedly)

--------------------------------------

And for the record....

Chris Spencer - 3.75 (Ha!)

Matt Spaeth 2.25 (Thanks Mike and Jerry, cant block, or catch)

Nick Roach 2.5 (well, alright I suppose but really)

We have a lot of roster spots to fill, you cant sign 2 big contracts to two players and then what do you do about all the other spots you need to fill. They are fixing shit that Jerry didnt address. A better back up QB, a better back up RB. If we had those two spots fixed last year we would have been in the playoffs. I am, like you, thinking the LT spot is the most important position we needed to fill in the off season. You cant fix everything in one season, and thats why I think they will draft a OT in the first round of the draft. I would have liked both of those LTs brought in for a look, but they do have injury issues, which may be more of a problem than we can see. FAgency has been going for a few weeks, and nobody has signed them yet. I think they will draft a LT, then a CB and then a DE in the draft and if Emery hits on those spots were moving up the ladder, time will tell.

So the only way you're a good KR is if you have TD's? No, check yards per kick return. And please, don't say "his wasn't high last year." If you can pull stats from 2006 and 2007 about Hester's KR ability, I can pull stats from 2010 about Weems'.

So signing FA's who are ST players doesn't improve the team? If they had just lost Graham and signed no one on ST, would you say it's ok that they lost him and didn't add anyone? I doubt it. ST is a HUGE need. This phase has won the Bears several games dating back to 2006, and it hasn't been JUST because of Devin Hester. When you have a great coach like Toub for that area and you have the money, resources, and lure/tradition to add to it, you do it. The Bears will once again be a great unit next year, and I'd be willing to wager that they'll have THE BEST one.

They didn't fix holes? Holes they had going into FA:

CB depth- re-signed Jennings (DRAFT)

TE depth- re-signed Davis (DRAFT?)

LB depth- signed Costanzo (DRAFT?)

#1 WR- traded for Marshall

ST help- signed Weems and Thomas (and Costanzo).

#2 RB- signed Bush

#2 QB- signed Campbell

DL depth- re-signed Idonije (DRAFT)

OL depth- DRAFT

So are you 100% sure they didn't fix holes?

Had Emery signed Brandon Carr, Carl Nicks, and traded for Marshall, people would say "Where's the DE help?" Had he signed Vincent Jackson, Mario Williams, and Nicks, people would say "So Enderle is the #2? FML." Had they signed Nicks and Williams, people would say "Where's the #1 WR?" Seriously, the guy couldn't sign a great CB, OL, DE, and WR, but if he had, people would say "But they lost Graham. How will they replace him?"

There's a reason that Michael Lombardi, as big of a douche as he is, said the Bears had the 2nd best FA period.

Tough crowd.

So the only way you're a good KR is if you have TD's? No, check yards per kick return. And please, don't say "his wasn't high last year." If you can pull stats from 2006 and 2007 about Hester's KR ability, I can pull stats from 2010 about Weems'.

So signing FA's who are ST players doesn't improve the team? If they had just lost Graham and signed no one on ST, would you say it's ok that they lost him and didn't add anyone? I doubt it. ST is a HUGE need. This phase has won the Bears several games dating back to 2006, and it hasn't been JUST because of Devin Hester. When you have a great coach like Toub for that area and you have the money, resources, and lure/tradition to add to it, you do it. The Bears will once again be a great unit next year, and I'd be willing to wager that they'll have THE BEST one.

#2 RB- signed Bush

#2 QB- signed Campbell

OL depth- DRAFT

Had Emery signed Brandon Carr, Carl Nicks, and traded for Marshall, people would say "Where's the DE help?" Had he signed Vincent Jackson, Mario Williams, and Nicks, people would say "So Enderle is the #2? FML." Had they signed Nicks and Williams, people would say "Where's the #1 WR?" Seriously, the guy couldn't sign a great CB, OL, DE, and WR, but if he had, people would say "But they lost Graham. How will they replace him?"

There's a reason that Michael Lombardi, as big of a douche as he is, said the Bears had the 2nd best FA period.

Tough crowd.

Reason we are not-----Bell was hurt and so was McNeil, Webb wasn't good, but he has not had an injury and knows the blocking routines already and we are looking to the draft. But still I would at least look into them

#2 RB- signed Bush

#2 QB- signed Campbell

OL depth- DRAFT

Tough crowd.

I agree, almost every acquisition filled a need, replaced a player who departed, or was an upgrade for that position. What more could Emery have done?

Marshall obviously fills one of the team's biggest needs and is the biggest upgrade for this team. We might have overpaid for Campbell, but he is a starter-caliber QB on a one year deal. Bush not only can be the change of pace back if Forte is starting, but can come in and start if Forte holds out or is injured. Costanzo replaces Graham on SP, Weems replaces Knox on SP and can fill in at the bottom of the WR corps, if needed. Thomas is a league minimum pickup who can also play SP and WR if needed. So the Bears can now go into the draft targeting OL, DL, DB, and pickup a LB and some other roster fillers.

I agree, almost every acquisition filled a need, replaced a player who departed, or was an upgrade for that position. What more could Emery have done?

Marshall obviously fills one of the team's biggest needs and is the biggest upgrade for this team. We might have overpaid for Campbell, but he is a starter-caliber QB on a one year deal. Bush not only can be the change of pace back if Forte is starting, but can come in and start if Forte holds out or is injured. Costanzo replaces Graham on SP, Weems replaces Knox on SP and can fill in at the bottom of the WR corps, if needed. Thomas is a league minimum pickup who can also play SP and WR if needed. So the Bears can now go into the draft targeting OL, DL, DB, and pickup a LB and some other roster fillers.

My issue with the Campbell signing is he was too expensive and a one year solution. We'll be negotiating with Cutler, so there's no way we can continue to pay a back-up 3.5 million. That means next year at this time we'll be looking for another back-up QB.

I like all the rest of our moves. It's easy to complain about special teams guys, but how many times have we won a game specifically because of our special teams play?

With Bell, he was a former 7th round pick on a mediocre line. He probably wants top $$$. Is he that much of an upgrade over Webb?

My issue with the Campbell signing is he was too expensive and a one year solution. We'll be negotiating with Cutler, so there's no way we can continue to pay a back-up 3.5 million. That means next year at this time we'll be looking for another back-up QB.

I like all the rest of our moves. It's easy to complain about special teams guys, but how many times have we won a game specifically because of our special teams play?

With Bell, he was a former 7th round pick on a mediocre line. He probably wants top $$$. Is he that much of an upgrade over Webb?

I think they are going for it this year, because of the age of the stars on defense, they are trying to make a push this year and thats why the dollars for a good backup QB. If Culter gets hurt, then it will have been worth it, if not , no more Hanie circuses.

I think they are going for it this year, because of the age of the stars on defense, they are trying to make a push this year and thats why the dollars for a good backup QB. If Culter gets hurt, then it will have been worth it, if not , no more Hanie circuses.

Thats the play it safe model. If you want to go for it, you sign impact players. I still believe we should have filled our ST holes with rookies and our backup QB with McCown and Enderle. Like the Bush upgrade though. Would have loved to see a DE, OL or DB signed.

Not upset about anything, cause it is solid. Just would have done it a little differently.

Thats the play it safe model. If you want to go for it, you sign impact players. I still believe we should have filled our ST holes with rookies and our backup QB with McCown and Enderle. Like the Bush upgrade though. Would have loved to see a DE, OL or DB signed.

Not upset about anything, cause it is solid. Just would have done it a little differently.

Who did you want? Finnegan never left St Louis, Carr made one visit, giving Nicks that much money is stupid, Eric Wright sucks, and Mario Williams made one visit and signed, just like Finnegan and Carr. (Don't say Lawson. He's not an "impact" guy.)

Who did you want? Finnegan never left St Louis, Carr made one visit, giving Nicks that much money is stupid, Eric Wright sucks, and Mario Williams made one visit and signed, just like Finnegan and Carr. (Don't say Lawson. He's not an "impact" guy.)

IMHO the way our team is built we dont need to go out and sign big impact guys, just solid one's that fit our system. I team can have too many stars and not mix well together. What we need are solid guys at the right positions where we need them. Look at the Texans on offense....other than Johnson and Foster who are their impact players and on Defense .......gone are Williams and Ryans? Now we have Marshall and Forte....Peppers, Urlacher similar. What we need is and offense that can win games like we were last year(11-5) going 5 straight wins in a row and this past year too. If we have a plan like the Reskins and buy all the high priced FA and they are busts and and then trade all our picks away...we will be the botton feeders in the NFC North like they are in the east.

Please don’t attempt to discredit my opinion by throwing Lawson into the mix. I never mentioned adding him, nor would I have. That’s sort of the stuff a spouse would do…

Loved the Marshall trade! That made the off season for me.

Next I would have signed Jeremy Mincey or Kamerion Wimbley. Although, I got very excited at the prospect of Mario Williams, it was pretty unrealistic after getting Brandon Marshall. Mincey signed for a bargain in Jacksonville at the last minute. Emery blew that one.

Move on to OL, where I would have made a run at Eric Winston or Ben Grubbs.

Wasn’t much out there for secondary help.

In a nutshell: Loved the Marshall deal, liked keeping Steltz, Izzy, McCown and Davis. Like signing Bush and Thomas. Hated the Campbell, Weems and Costanzo signings. For the 6 mil we spent on them, we could have had Mincey or Winston. Would also sign Roy to an incentive laden deal. Then I would draft another DE, CB, and WR with my high picks.

What would you have done for your off season?

Please don’t attempt to discredit my opinion by throwing Lawson into the mix. I never mentioned adding him, nor would I have. That’s sort of the stuff a spouse would do…

Loved the Marshall trade! That made the off season for me.

Next I would have signed Jeremy Mincey or Kamerion Wimbley. Although, I got very excited at the prospect of Mario Williams, it was pretty unrealistic after getting Brandon Marshall. Mincey signed for a bargain in Jacksonville at the last minute. Emery blew that one.

Move on to OL, where I would have made a run at Eric Winston or Ben Grubbs.

Wasn’t much out there for secondary help.

In a nutshell: Loved the Marshall deal, liked keeping Steltz, Izzy, McCown and Davis. Like signing Bush and Thomas. Hated the Campbell, Weems and Costanzo signings. For the 6 mil we spent on them, we could have had Mincey or Winston. Would also sign Roy to an incentive laden deal. Then I would draft another DE, CB, and WR with my high picks.

What would you have done for your off season?

Emery didnt blow the Mincey deal, he was ready to sign a deal and the Jags upped their deal and he just stayed home. I would have liked either Winston or Grubbs, but I am not running an NFL team and they had people targeted and those werent on their list. The only thing that bothers me so far with this off season is not signing a OT, but just not that many options out there. We only have 1/2 of the picture, we need to wait till after the draft to hold judgement, everybody wants all these bigger FAs names but we simply didnt have the money to sign eveybody. When Wimbley signed at 7 mil per year we didnt have enough money left to pay that. If Cutler gets hurt again then they will be lauded for signing Campbell, I in no way think that was a bad signing. The 3.5 it cost for him wont have given us any of the bigger names anyway and you have to keep in mind, we have many roster spots to fill and have to have bodies there and spending on a couple of bigger FAs wouldnt have worked. We still have many spots to fill and they cant all be undrafted FAs.

Emery didnt blow the Mincey deal, he was ready to sign a deal and the Jags upped their deal and he just stayed home. I would have liked either Winston or Grubbs, but I am not running an NFL team and they had people targeted and those werent on their list. The only thing that bothers me so far with this off season is not signing a OT, but just not that many options out there. We only have 1/2 of the picture, we need to wait till after the draft to hold judgement, everybody wants all these bigger FAs names but we simply didnt have the money to sign eveybody. When Wimbley signed at 7 mil per year we didnt have enough money left to pay that. If Cutler gets hurt again then they will be lauded for signing Campbell, I in no way think that was a bad signing. The 3.5 it cost for him wont have given us any of the bigger names anyway and you have to keep in mind, we have many roster spots to fill and have to have bodies there and spending on a couple of bigger FAs wouldnt have worked. We still have many spots to fill and they cant all be undrafted FAs.

Not getting it done when you want it is blowing it, especially for the price. So, you are just going to take Mincey's press conference at face value? We got outbid, plain and simple. We could have gotten Wimbley if we wanted as well.(I agree with not paying him that much) You honestly think what I wrote indicated a need for undrafted FA's? Please explain...

Not getting it done when you want it is blowing it, especially for the price. So, you are just going to take Mincey's press conference at face value? We got outbid, plain and simple. We could have gotten Wimbley if we wanted as well.(I agree with not paying him that much) You honestly think what I wrote indicated a need for undrafted FA's? Please explain...

Sometimes people want to stay with the team they are familiar with. From all accounts, Mincey was ready to sign with the Bears, when his GM talked him out of it. I didnt read any reports that the Jags offered more money. You want to say he blew it? Fine. Thats a little dramatic for me. Upping the dollars for these guys would have taken away from signing others.

There was no reason to overpay on long contracts for most of the free agents out there, (maybe Williams, but that would have been our only signing).

With all these potential OLTs and how injured they have been in recent years (which is why they are available anyway) I can't see any of them as someone we can count on.

I realize it's fashionable to suggest getting both a FA and draft someone to develop, but the fact still remains that we are only going to carry 8 OL on the 53 man roster - 5 starters and 3 backups.

Now people can suggest we "stash" then on the practice squad, but that could only be for drafted guys, and any taken high (as has been suggested in rounds 1-3) would then get poached by other teams.

The bottom line is that we have Webb, C. Williams, Garza, Louis, Carimi, Spencer, and E. Williams taking up the top 6 spots.

Well said.

I think we end up drafting at least 1 that sticks in rotation and then pick up one more after initial cuts...

With all these potential OLTs and how injured they have been in recent years (which is why they are available anyway) I can't see any of them as someone we can count on.

I realize it's fashionable to suggest getting both a FA and draft someone to develop, but the fact still remains that we are only going to carry 8 OL on the 53 man roster - 5 starters and 3 backups.

Now people can suggest we "stash" then on the practice squad, but that could only be for drafted guys, and any taken high (as has been suggested in rounds 1-3) would then get poached by other teams.

The bottom line is that we have Webb, C. Williams, Garza, Louis, Carimi, Spencer, and E. Williams taking up the top 6 spots.

Pretty much. Although, I wouldn't be terribly upset if they cut E. Williams or Webb in favor of higher draft picks who outperform them in training camp.

Call it what you want but when you competing with a home team, they have some advantages,(its his home, familiarity, and friends). The unsigned FAs refers to the need to fill roster spots, not refering to your blog. We only have 3 CBs on the roster, and Jennings is a marginal starter. They just have a lot of spots to full, and would be hard pressed to do that with spending more money on bigger names.