In all honesty...

Guest TerraTor

Please don’t attempt to discredit my opinion by throwing Lawson into the mix. I never mentioned adding him, nor would I have. That’s sort of the stuff a spouse would do…

Loved the Marshall trade! That made the off season for me.

Next I would have signed Jeremy Mincey or Kamerion Wimbley. Although, I got very excited at the prospect of Mario Williams, it was pretty unrealistic after getting Brandon Marshall. Mincey signed for a bargain in Jacksonville at the last minute. Emery blew that one.

Move on to OL, where I would have made a run at Eric Winston or Ben Grubbs.

Wasn’t much out there for secondary help.

In a nutshell: Loved the Marshall deal, liked keeping Steltz, Izzy, McCown and Davis. Like signing Bush and Thomas. Hated the Campbell, Weems and Costanzo signings. For the 6 mil we spent on them, we could have had Mincey or Winston. Would also sign Roy to an incentive laden deal. Then I would draft another DE, CB, and WR with my high picks.

What would you have done for your off season?

Woah, dude. Relax. I wasn't "coming at you" and if it came off that way, I apologize. I just felt that there was no possible "impact" guys out there for the Bears, and I didn't want anyone to say Manny Lawson, because for some reason, he's a TalkBears favorite despite having one good year in his whole career.

Where would Grubbs play? Louis is young and solid, and CW is going nowhere.

Where would Winston play? Back-up RT? For $6 million/year? Yikes.

Mincey was talked into staying by Jacksonville's GM at the last minute. He didn't BLOW anything. (Keep in mind, 5 of Mincey's 8 sacks came against Indianapolis' dogs*** OT's.)

For my offseason, I would've traded for or signed a #1 WR, made a run at Mincey, signed some veteran players who do the small things, and signed a back-up QB who is capable of throwing a football. Emery did all of that.

And please, Roy Williams? My god. If that would help the Bears offseason grade in your opinion, you might want to reconsider. He had too many dropped passes at key times and didn't help the team in any way, shape, or form.

Call it what you want but when you competing with a home team, they have some advantages,(its his home, familiarity, and friends). The unsigned FAs refers to the need to fill roster spots, not refering to your blog. We only have 3 CBs on the roster, and Jennings is a marginal starter. They just have a lot of spots to full, and would be hard pressed to do that with spending more money on bigger names.

Marginal? He was only 1 of 2 CB's who didn't give up a TD last year. Granted, he is a system player, but that's an impressive stat nonetheless. If he knew how to catch, he would've had 4-6 INT's last year to go with it.

Pretty much. Although, I wouldn't be terribly upset if they cut E. Williams or Webb in favor of higher draft picks who outperform them in training camp.

I wouldn't complain with that either, but is that with Webb as a starter or swing tackle/backup? And what round are you thinking of for a guard?

My point is that it's unlikely that we will be able to draft an OLT at 19, and depending on the drafted guard, they may not be able to beat out Edwin Williams.

I just keep seeing people suggesting that we throw resources at the Oline, but unless they are a grade A stud, they might be a wasted pick and there really hasn't been a proven upgrade available in FA at a reasonable price either. The bottom line is that you can't really draft an Olineman and expect them to be an immediate improvement - unless they are REALLY NFL ready. - as in going in the first round.

My point is that it's unlikely that we will be able to draft an OLT at 19,

Good point. A few years ago there was the stat that 1st round o-linemen had a high success rate. It seems like since then, teams have reached for OT's, starting with the C Williams class. There's been a lot of bad/mediocre

and depending on the drafted guard, they may not be able to beat out Edwin Williams.

When did Edwin Williams get that good?

I just keep seeing people suggesting that we throw resources at the Oline,

By people, don't you mean Jason :)

but unless they are a grade A stud, they might be a wasted pick and there really hasn't been a proven upgrade available in FA at a reasonable price either. The bottom line is that you can't really draft an Olineman and expect them to be an immediate improvement - unless they are REALLY NFL ready. - as in going in the first round.

Agreed. Any OT left at #19 will be a reach. Unless we get a stud guard (which I don't see happening) I see us going d-line in round #1

I wouldn't complain with that either, but is that with Webb as a starter or swing tackle/backup? And what round are you thinking of for a guard?

My point is that it's unlikely that we will be able to draft an OLT at 19, and depending on the drafted guard, they may not be able to beat out Edwin Williams.

I just keep seeing people suggesting that we throw resources at the Oline, but unless they are a grade A stud, they might be a wasted pick and there really hasn't been a proven upgrade available in FA at a reasonable price either. The bottom line is that you can't really draft an Olineman and expect them to be an immediate improvement - unless they are REALLY NFL ready. - as in going in the first round.

That is very true especially with the position we need most (LT). I'm very concerned with the depth we have at the tackle position. Carimi has shown potential, but we have to be concerned about his knee situation. We spent money to back up Cutler, but it may have been better spent elsewhere.(like a vet OT or OG) An OG gets Williams back at OT for depth. Winston gives us instant depth and much needed insurance that I think would prove to be more valuable than Campbell over McCown. I didn't want all stars at FA, but I did want one OL or DL to solidify things a little more before the draft. I'm hoping for a bargain afterward now.

Thats the play it safe model. If you want to go for it, you sign impact players. I still believe we should have filled our ST holes with rookies and our backup QB with McCown and Enderle. Like the Bush upgrade though. Would have loved to see a DE, OL or DB signed.

Not upset about anything, cause it is solid. Just would have done it a little differently.

I want the Bears to be in it to win it every year. I have no problem with the Campbell signing. If, Cutty gets hurt and we make the playoffs, chances are McCown is not going to take us to the SB but with Campbell I think we at least have a legit chance to be competitive. Don't get me wrong I am glad that Hainie (went to Broncos) is gone and like having a vet as our 3rd stringer in McCown but having a capable #2 for an insurance policy is priceless. Campbell played very well for a dysfunctional team in Oakland last season before getting hurt. Very Good Insurance policy for the Bears this year if you ask me.

Most Rookies are not ready to play at a high level on ST as they often need to be re-assimilated once they get to the NFL. Historically, the Bears conservative nature prior to Martz on offense has required special teams and the defense to play at a very high level to be competitive. Emery, gets this and bringing Brandon Marshall into the fold automatically provides a boost to the O that we have not had in a very long time if ever. This off season we got better, younger and deeper and provided a direction for what is needed going into the draft: OL, CB, LB, WR depth etc. Remember, Emery has stated that he believes in building through the draft and that is exactly what he was hired to do. I am no football guru but from my perspective I feel Emery looked to FA for known commodities without breaking the bank while not weakening the strengths of the team historically (ST & DEF). Additionally, getting rid of Martz was as an important of an off-season move as the others. The team promoted Tice and finally listened to Cutty and brought in Bates to coordinate the passing game. This unity should be much more efficient with Jay being able to call audibles and will be tailored more to the strength of players on Offense verse asking them to do what they can not physically do. Hopefully Emery will add play-makers, fill holes and build for the future the right way through the draft.

I agree with your logic here and have posted similarly in the past. We need impact players at Best Available Positions to start rebuilding through the draft. This teams has had (under JA) an abundance of early round strike outs and can not afford to miss much going forward if we want to quickly reclaim our rightful position at the top of the NFCN! Right now the Bears have the best Defense and Special Teams in the division and are in the top 5-10 in the conference respectfully. The Offense will also be more efficient this season going forward and will help bring balance to all phases.

I want the Bears to be in it to win it every year. I have no problem with the Campbell signing. If, Cutty gets hurt and we make the playoffs, chances are McCown is not going to take us to the SB but with Campbell I think we at least have a legit chance to be competitive. Don't get me wrong I am glad that Hainie (went to Broncos) is gone and like having a vet as our 3rd stringer in McCown but having a capable #2 for an insurance policy is priceless. Campbell played very well for a dysfunctional team in Oakland last season before getting hurt. Very Good Insurance policy for the Bears this year if you ask me.

Most Rookies are not ready to play at a high level on ST as they often need to be re-assimilated once they get to the NFL. Historically, the Bears conservative nature prior to Martz on offense has required special teams and the defense to play at a very high level to be competitive. Emery, gets this and bringing Brandon Marshall into the fold automatically provides a boost to the O that we have not had in a very long time if ever. This off season we got better, younger and deeper and provided a direction for what is needed going into the draft: OL, CB, LB, WR depth etc. Remember, Emery has stated that he believes in building through the draft and that is exactly what he was hired to do. I am no football guru but from my perspective I feel Emery looked to FA for known commodities without breaking the bank while not weakening the strengths of the team historically (ST & DEF). Additionally, getting rid of Martz was as an important of an off-season move as the others. The team promoted Tice and finally listened to Cutty and brought in Bates to coordinate the passing game. This unity should be much more efficient with Jay being able to call audibles and will be tailored more to the strength of players on Offense verse asking them to do what they can not physically do. Hopefully Emery will add play-makers, fill holes and build for the future the right way through the draft.

And I agree this is the best way to go if you can. Thing is, the best insurance policy for this team and Cutler is to keep his ass upright. And our chances of solidifying that are dwindling.

And I agree this is the best way to go if you can. Thing is, the best insurance policy for this team and Cutler is to keep his ass upright. And our chances of solidifying that are dwindling.

I totally agree with you on the importance of the OLine and we havent addressed that, but hopefully the draft gets us some help. It is impossible to get eveything done in one off season and we will just have to look at the total picture after the draft.

If one of the top four OTs fall to the Bears in the first, they should draft that player.

In rounds 2-4 the Bears should pick an OG.

If that means Webb is a backup and E.Williams gets cut, so be it. A rookie at 19 will be better than Webb, of that there is no concern.

And if they are really concerned about it, they can draft Cordy Glenn, pencil in Chris Williams to LT and Glenn in at LG, let them battle it out for the LT position, and put the loser of the battle at LG.

Good point. A few years ago there was the stat that 1st round o-linemen had a high success rate. It seems like since then, teams have reached for OT's, starting with the C Williams class. There's been a lot of bad/mediocre

I don't think this is entirely accurate.

2011 - Tyron Smith, Nate Solder, Anthony Castonzo played in 41 out of 48 games. Meanwhile, the three WR counterparts (AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Jonathan Baldwin) played in 39. The fact that it was just a banner year for OT injuries (Carpenter, Carimi, Sherrod) is just bad luck.

2010 - Williams, Okung, Davis, Bulaga played in 56 out of 64 games. The first round WRs played in 22 out of 32. And it gets even uglier when it comes to actually starting, because that's a total of 4 games for the WRs and 51 games for the OTs.

2009 - Eugene Monroe and Oher played in 31 out of 32 games. DHB, Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Nicks, and Britt played in 82 out of 96 games. Again, this year hurt OTs because the top two picks (Jason and Andre Smith) both got injuries; otherwise, they were starting the entire way through (Jason Smith started the entire year before concussion, and Andre Smith started as soon as he came off of injury).

It's arguable that OTs are more injury prone based on this small data-set, but to insinuate that they are reaches or don't play as well their rookie year is outright false. By comparison, OTs drafted in the first round (who do not get injured) still outperform, in terms of games played and games started, their WR counterparts.

Are those guys good or thrust into the line-up because they were drafted high? Chris Williams rookie season we were prepared to start him at RT and likely play him there every game if not for the injury. You've documented the confusion around Chris Williams and I'm with you. Now we believe in Carimi . . . I hate debating o-lineman.

Part of my problem is I believe the Bears actually believe that J Webb can be good. I concede I'm stupid for believing that. The way they've bragged him and Carimi up, I can't believe we'll go o-line in round one.

What sucks is we may have one of the best DE's in football and he's limited because he plays opposite of Izzy. God I'd love to see a pass rusher. That's just my opinion.

I don't think this is entirely accurate.

2011 - Tyron Smith, Nate Solder, Anthony Castonzo played in 41 out of 48 games. Meanwhile, the three WR counterparts (AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Jonathan Baldwin) played in 39. The fact that it was just a banner year for OT injuries (Carpenter, Carimi, Sherrod) is just bad luck.

2010 - Williams, Okung, Davis, Bulaga played in 56 out of 64 games. The first round WRs played in 22 out of 32. And it gets even uglier when it comes to actually starting, because that's a total of 4 games for the WRs and 51 games for the OTs.

2009 - Eugene Monroe and Oher played in 31 out of 32 games. DHB, Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Nicks, and Britt played in 82 out of 96 games. Again, this year hurt OTs because the top two picks (Jason and Andre Smith) both got injuries; otherwise, they were starting the entire way through (Jason Smith started the entire year before concussion, and Andre Smith started as soon as he came off of injury).

It's arguable that OTs are more injury prone based on this small data-set, but to insinuate that they are reaches or don't play as well their rookie year is outright false. By comparison, OTs drafted in the first round (who do not get injured) still outperform, in terms of games played and games started, their WR counterparts.

I hate to say it, but I see DE written all over RD1. The defensive line is rich is early talent and we can get a young center piece to bookend with Peppers. I really would love to see Coples, but there is no way he can fall to 19.

I wouldn't be upset with Cordy Glenn either. I keep thinking back to Brandon Alberts and I was hoping we took him.

I hate to say it, but I see DE written all over RD1. The defensive line is rich is early talent and we can get a young center piece to bookend with Peppers. I really would love to see Coples, but there is no way he can fall to 19.

I wouldn't be upset with Cordy Glenn either. I keep thinking back to Brandon Alberts and I was hoping we took him.

I see DE as well. I also see a center or guard, instead of a tackle. I have a strong suspicion that Chris Williams will be given a solid look at LT. We need it for upgrade and depth.

Looking back at all the scouting reports and pre-draft hype, all reports had Williams achoring the left side for the next decade. I look at his body of work in the SEC and he gave up 2 sacks his junior and senior year.(In the SE f'n C!) Dude can play IMO. One scouting report said that it would be best for him to play OG for a couple of years to get stronger and acclimate to the NFL, done. I'm ready to see it. If it pans out, it would be hitting the jackpot. And don't give up on J'Marcus yet, he may be fine in a year or two.

I see 2 maybe 3 offensive picks in this draft and 4-5 defensive.

Are those guys good or thrust into the line-up because they were drafted high? Chris Williams rookie season we were prepared to start him at RT and likely play him there every game if not for the injury. You've documented the confusion around Chris Williams and I'm with you. Now we believe in Carimi . . . I hate debating o-lineman.

Part of my problem is I believe the Bears actually believe that J Webb can be good. I concede I'm stupid for believing that. The way they've bragged him and Carimi up, I can't believe we'll go o-line in round one.

What sucks is we may have one of the best DE's in football and he's limited because he plays opposite of Izzy. God I'd love to see a pass rusher. That's just my opinion.

I honestly hope you and the coaching staff is right. I hope Webb turns the corner this year and makes everyone piss themselves over his play. Alas, I've seen him play the past two years, and I doubt it's going to happen. He's a 7th rounder for a reason, and he shouldn't be starting.

You think it sucks that we have Peppers rushing opposite of Izzy, but the Bears have the best QB they potentially have ever had in the existence of the franchise, and he's being protected by:

LT - 7th Round bum

LG - 1st Round OT

C - Aging Vet OG

RG - Undrafted bum or 7th Round bum

RT - 1st Round OT (hopefully)

Where I see the major difference...

Without a good DE opposite of him, Peppers can still work independently and dominate. Which he has done. Without a good OL in front of him, Cutler's talents are marginalized at best, wasted at worst.