If we did this would you be happy?

Wesson44

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=8716

McShay sees Bears drafting Stanford tackle

By: Larry Mayer | Last Updated: 4/2/2012 9:23 AM In his latest mock draft, ESPN analyst Todd McShay is predicting that the Bears will select Stanford offensive tackle Jonathan Martin with the 19th pick in the first round.

Jonathan Martin

“Martin needs to add some strength, but he could pair with 2011 first-round OT Gabe Carimi to give offensive coordinator Mike Tice a pair of bookends to coach up,” McShay writes.

McShay also believes that the Bears will choose Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen in the second round (50th overall).

The Bears have seven picks in the 2012 draft, one in each round. In Rounds 3-7, they have the 79th, 111th, 150th, 184th and 220th selections.

agreed. As long as it's not a reach.

If the Bears like him and think he can step in right away, and he falls to that slot, then go for it, that gives the team 3 first round picks on the O-Line right away.

They'd still have D-Line and CB needs, but if that guy is there and they like him, why n ot?

I'm not really a Martin fan. There's questions about his strength and he apparently didn't impress at pro day - not sure how much of his perceived success comes from the success of Andrew Luck. I really don't like this OT crop much in general, especially at LT, where the Bears have the greater need. I also wouldn't like Allen in the second - I'd rather see what Davis can do in the new offense before we spend a high pick on another TE.

I would obviously like the first round pick. Martin may not be the bell-cow LT from other years, but he's a solid 1st round pick, and an immediate upgrade over highway Webb. A TE in the second round is a horrible pick, however, because there are other much more pressing needs.

I'm not really a Martin fan. There's questions about his strength and he apparently didn't impress at pro day - not sure how much of his perceived success comes from the success of Andrew Luck. I really don't like this OT crop much in general, especially at LT, where the Bears have the greater need. I also wouldn't like Allen in the second - I'd rather see what Davis can do in the new offense before we spend a high pick on another TE.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Bears might scout the OT's like Martin and not like what they see compared to Webb, or the Bears might scout the OT's and think there's a substantial upgrade with one of them. Whatever call they make, the season is quite literally riding on it...as are Smith and Tice's jobs.

The Bears should go LB, WR, DE, S, CB, WR, and OT in the draft, in no particular order. If that means Martin, Mercilus, or Gilmore in round 1, go for it. The organization, from Phillips to Lovie to the players, and we the fans need to trust Emery in his pick. While he's never been fully in charge in a draft room, he has a history of good picks, great picks, and busts, like everyone else, but his great and good players outweigh the busts, such as Derrick Williams, Dwayne Bowe, Roddy White, Jamaal Charles, and Matt Ryan.

I didn't include OG because they have E.Williams, C.Williams, Louis, and Garza for that. Pick up an OG and DT in UDFA's if they choose to do so.

The Bears should go LB, WR, DE, S, CB, WR, and OT in the draft, in no particular order. If that means Martin, Mercilus, or Gilmore in round 1, go for it. The organization, from Phillips to Lovie to the players, and we the fans need to trust Emery in his pick. While he's never been fully in charge in a draft room, he has a history of good picks, great picks, and busts, like everyone else, but his great and good players outweigh the busts, such as Derrick Williams, Dwayne Bowe, Roddy White, Jamaal Charles, and Matt Ryan.

I didn't include OG because they have E.Williams, C.Williams, Louis, and Garza for that. Pick up an OG and DT in UDFA's if they choose to do so.

You forgot Spencer. and I agree with the picks.

I wouldn't mind seeing a true center drafted. Garza's done an admirable job, but neither he nor Chris Spencer are young. Centers don't tend to garner high draft picks, but I actually like this crop of centers in the middle round with guys like Mike Brewster, Phillip Blake and Quentin Saulsberry. If I had to take off a need, it would probably be safety - I like Wright and Conte going forward and with Steltz already signed, I'd almost rather get a veteran after the draft (Atogwe? Sean Jones? Melvin Bullitt?) than another rookie.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Bears might scout the OT's like Martin and not like what they see compared to Webb, or the Bears might scout the OT's and think there's a substantial upgrade with one of them. Whatever call they make, the season is quite literally riding on it...as are Smith and Tice's jobs.

I'll tell you one thing. If I don't like the LT's and grade them out as 1st rounders, I'm not picking them just because its a need. I'll take my chances and pass cause I'm not wasting a first rounder on a guy that my scouts don't think will be good.

I'll tell you one thing. If I don't like the LT's and grade them out as 1st rounders, I'm not picking them just because its a need. I'll take my chances and pass cause I'm not wasting a first rounder on a guy that my scouts don't think will be good.

Yeah, when I think 1st rounder, I'm thnking Pro-Bowl prospect. If you see it, pull the trigger.

I agree with your assessment but I'm assuming Emery & Co. will have done their homework so I would't be upset. Scouting reports about Martin lately have made him sound more like Chris Williams and if that's the case then we might as well put Williams on the outside and backfill him with an OG in Rd 2/3. Considering the needs versus talent available I prefer DE in Rd 1 and OG or OT in Rd 2 or 3.

I know I'm in the minority here but I liked what I saw from Kyle Adams last preseason, at least in terms of a TE as a WR. He also was praised for his work on special teams. With Kellen Davis back in the fold I'm not sure the Bears aren't content to head into the season and see what these guys can do. I'd add a late round pick for competition purposes but we have too many big needs at DE, CB, LB depth, Oline, and WR, to go TE early.

I agree with your assessment but I'm assuming Emery & Co. will have done their homework so I would't be upset. Scouting reports about Martin lately have made him sound more like Chris Williams and if that's the case then we might as well put Williams on the outside and backfill him with an OG in Rd 2/3. Considering the needs versus talent available I prefer DE in Rd 1 and OG or OT in Rd 2 or 3.

I know I'm in the minority here but I liked what I saw from Kyle Adams last preseason, at least in terms of a TE as a WR. He also was praised for his work on special teams. With Kellen Davis back in the fold I'm not sure the Bears aren't content to head into the season and see what these guys can do. I'd add a late round pick for competition purposes but we have too many big needs at DE, CB, LB depth, Oline, and WR, to go TE early.

If there going with Davis, they really dont need to draft another TE, we have 5 on the roster right now.K Davis, Adams, Spaeth,A.Davis,Ross. So we have other needs we need to address before TE. I am not sure about Davis, but we cant fix everything in one off season.

If the Bears FO honestly believes that, then it makes sense to go elsewhere in the first.

It would be a little hard to believe, however, since just about everyone else everywhere thinks the top 4 guys are legit first rounders.

I completely agree with you on Adams and I'm confident our scouts will have done there homework. I expect them to go DE or Wideout early.

If the Bears FO honestly believes that, then it makes sense to go elsewhere in the first.

It would be a little hard to believe, however, since just about everyone else everywhere thinks the top 4 guys are legit first rounders.

I think in many drafts some of these guys aren't first rounders. Martin, Reiff, and Adams have all had significant flaws. During workouts they have moved down in the draft and some question whether they can remain as LT's. Reiff is the guy I like most but he probably won't be there because too many teams need olineman so they will get taken. In a good tackle draft, these guys aren't going in the 1st round (or at least a few of them).

It all comes down to the scouting and I don't know what to say. I haven't heard many people talk about these 3 as being potential above average LT's and if I'm using my 19th pick, I want to know my guy is being projected to be an above average LT (he doesn't have to be Pace or Boseli but he's got to be projected to be above average).

I think in many drafts some of these guys aren't first rounders. Martin, Reiff, and Adams have all had significant flaws. During workouts they have moved down in the draft and some question whether they can remain as LT's. Reiff is the guy I like most but he probably won't be there because too many teams need olineman so they will get taken. In a good tackle draft, these guys aren't going in the 1st round (or at least a few of them).

It all comes down to the scouting and I don't know what to say. I haven't heard many people talk about these 3 as being potential above average LT's and if I'm using my 19th pick, I want to know my guy is being projected to be an above average LT (he doesn't have to be Pace or Boseli but he's got to be projected to be above average).

I agree on that. If we draft at #19 a guy who will be just an average LT then just put Chris Williams there and grab a higher rated player. He may end up being better than average anyway. Certainly we know more about him than any draft prospect and he did not fail at LT. In fact, he was better than Webb was last year. We have too many needs to reach for a guy in Rd 1.