kiper's 2 RoundMock

Guest TerraTor

I am quickly cooling on Mercilus, Randle would be ok, but I think if we go DE in the first its OL in the second.

Last year all signs pointed to us taking an o-lineman in round #1. This year the signs point to d- end. I've seen Mercilus projected to go as high as 14 or dropping to round #2. If we're convinced he's not a one year wonder and he's available, he's our guy IMO. He can get to the QB.

After round #1, IMO it's a pure "best player available" situation. With our 2nd pick, I could see us going o-line, DT, TE, WR, or CB in a non-discriminatory fashion. The best player goes.

Last year all signs pointed to us taking an o-lineman in round #1. This year the signs point to d- end. I've seen Mercilus projected to go as high as 14 or dropping to round #2. If we're convinced he's not a one year wonder and he's available, he's our guy IMO. He can get to the QB.

After round #1, IMO it's a pure "best player available" situation. With our 2nd pick, I could see us going o-line, DT, TE, WR, or CB in a non-discriminatory fashion. The best player goes.

I agree with you on Mercilus, other than if Coples drops. I prefer a OL in the second, but I think Randle is one of the better WRs this year and would have no problem if they took him.

I watched Youtube highlights of Mercilus last night and I am no longer very high on him at all. I just didn't see the burst off the LOS that I was expecting. He would still make our team better but I don't see first round talent there, he looks more like just a hustle-type player and if he gets blocked early he's done unless the play gets extended. He won't quit on the play but he's not making college OTs work that hard and I can't see him make NFL OTs worry too much either.

Nick Perry on the other hand, he pops off the LOS, has spin moves like Freeney. He doesn't have much size, or at least sometimes seemed to get swallowed up, but for a part time edge rusher like we need I like him a lot more than Mercilus. He will definitely stretch pass protection wider and if he doesn't get there he'll open up holes for others to blitz through. All this is considering that Peppers will have the usual double team going on the opposite side.

Thanks for the info. I've not done any homework on the guys... It's good to get some in-depth info.

I watched Youtube highlights of Mercilus last night and I am no longer very high on him at all. I just didn't see the burst off the LOS that I was expecting. He would still make our team better but I don't see first round talent there, he looks more like just a hustle-type player and if he gets blocked early he's done unless the play gets extended. He won't quit on the play but he's not making college OTs work that hard and I can't see him make NFL OTs worry too much either.

Nick Perry on the other hand, he pops off the LOS, has spin moves like Freeney. He doesn't have much size, or at least sometimes seemed to get swallowed up, but for a part time edge rusher like we need I like him a lot more than Mercilus. He will definitely stretch pass protection wider and if he doesn't get there he'll open up holes for others to blitz through. All this is considering that Peppers will have the usual double team going on the opposite side.

The one year wonder factor is really the x factor when trying to project what Mercilus will do on the next level. It was the same question surrounding Jason Pierre-Paul coming out of South Florida. At that time Pierre-Paul was actually an after thought when scouts came to look at his teammate Selvie who everyone felt was a solid prospect. The other guy who I would like to draw a comparison to with Mercilus is another former Zook player Alex Brown the words consistency and motor were the buzz words on his ability. Then the boom or bust factor of highly touted Big Ten DE prospects recently has to scare you a little.In recent memory only Will Smith, Tamba Hali and Spencer have taken that lofty status to the league with some success. Here's a list:

03 Haynes Penn State

04 Smith OSU

05 James Wisc

06 Hali Penn State

07 Spencer Purdue

08 Gholston OSU

09 Maybin Penn State

11 Watt Wisc

Kerrigan Purdue

Clayborne Iowa

Heyward OSU

With an amazing number of picks of Big Ten DEs in round one last year only Watt looked like he was able to make a solid impact with the Texans last year as a rookie.Mercilus is considered not as good a prospect these 4 guys were last year.

Alex Brown is probably a good comparison but Mercilus is probably a bit faster. I think Brown's first step off the LOS was better. Mercilus would make our team better I just don't see him as a Pro Bowl DE and picking at #19 we should be getting a player with that potential IMO.