Bears Intersted in OG Eric Steinbach

dawhizz

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post..._medium=twitter

It's interesting to me that the Bears seem to be more focused on OGs in the offseason (Steinbach, Herrera) that OTs. I wonder what the Bears are really thinking for a line-up next year. Lovie recently said that he could see Chris Williams at any position on the line but center and even hinted that they thought Carimi might get a shot at LT if Webb struggled (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/03/lovie_smith_casts_support_for_.html).

Guest TerraTor

It's interesting to me that the Bears seem to be more focused on OGs in the offseason (Steinbach, Herrera) that OTs. I wonder what the Bears are really thinking for a line-up next year. Lovie recently said that he could see Chris Williams at any position on the line but center and even hinted that they thought Carimi might get a shot at LT if Webb struggled (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/03/lovie_smith_casts_support_for_.html).

Ha.....if

Steinbeck is damn good when healthy. You say, "I wonder what the Bears are really thinking for a line-up next year." To that I'd answer Tice is unpredictable and he's not worried about consistency. It's like he sits down every week and says, "Who will be the best at this spot . . . " One year he spent all off-season bragging up Asiata & Louis. They get benched in favor of week 3 pick-up Edwin Williams. Last year he decides to play Louis at tackle over Chris Williams. Louis is a guard playing RT and C Williams is a RT playing guard. He's played Garza at LG, RG, and Center. Expect the unexpected.

Steinbeck is damn good when healthy. You say, "I wonder what the Bears are really thinking for a line-up next year." To that I'd answer Tice is unpredictable and he's not worried about consistency. It's like he sits down every week and says, "Who will be the best at this spot . . . " One year he spent all off-season bragging up Asiata & Louis. They get benched in favor of week 3 pick-up Edwin Williams. Last year he decides to play Louis at tackle over Chris Williams. Louis is a guard playing RT and C Williams is a RT playing guard. He's played Garza at LG, RG, and Center. Expect the unexpected.

Exactly, I think the team will always consider an upgrade and they will put the best 5 out there. We've only added to this team by subtraction (omiyale cut) and that just don't cut it with all the pressure our QB's have taken. Even with Turner calling plays our QB's had little time in the pocket and we couldn't get that one yard for a 1st or TD.

Exactly, I think the team will always consider an upgrade and they will put the best 5 out there. We've only added to this team by subtraction (omiyale cut) and that just don't cut it with all the pressure our QB's have taken. Even with Turner calling plays our QB's had little time in the pocket and we couldn't get that one yard for a 1st or TD.

We that's good news to me.....at least they are looking for the fit fit, cheaper option. But that just tells me that they know what I knw that our Oline needs so work to get us to the next level. So with the draft coming up, and then the roster cut downs, players released, we can have a good line to help Cutler and the Beast have a good year.

Just reaffirms my suspicion that we're going OG this draft and moving Williams back outside.

Regarding the comment on Tice putting Louis at RT versus C. Wiliams perhaps Tice was concerned about having Webb and Edwin Williams being next each other on the Cutler's blind side? Wouldn't Jay at least like a fair chance to see who was coming untouched between Louis and E. Williams? As I see it Tice puts what he feels is his best combination on the line regardless of what position certain guys might be best at. That is why guys move around so much.

Just reaffirms my suspicion that we're going OG this draft and moving Williams back outside.

Regarding the comment on Tice putting Louis at RT versus C. Wiliams perhaps Tice was concerned about having Webb and Edwin Williams being next each other on the Cutler's blind side? Wouldn't Jay at least like a fair chance to see who was coming untouched between Louis and E. Williams? As I see it Tice puts what he feels is his best combination on the line regardless of what position certain guys might be best at. That is why guys move around so much.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the Bears will use one of their first two picks on the highest OL on the board, whether it's OG or OT, and then planning their line-up accordingly, which is much better than trying to find a LT in this draft. If the LT is there that they love, great, but I'm not high on this class at that position.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the Bears will use one of their first two picks on the highest OL on the board, whether it's OG or OT, and then planning their line-up accordingly, which is much better than trying to find a LT in this draft. If the LT is there that they love, great, but I'm not high on this class at that position.

With all the OL draft info I read Glenn is starting to get my fancy, he is projected as a guard but can play OT. So he would give us the option of LG,RT, or even LT if needed. He is rated as a very good player and listed as a potential all pro. I think if one of the top DEs arent there, I would grab him before Martin or Adams.

With all the OL draft info I read Glenn is starting to get my fancy, he is projected as a guard but can play OT. So he would give us the option of LG,RT, or even LT if needed. He is rated as a very good player and listed as a potential all pro. I think if one of the top DEs arent there, I would grab him before Martin or Adams.

I like Glenn at OG only because when I watched the Senior Bowl practices and he was working one on one at OT he didn't fire out as well as he did when he was inside. He struggled in the begining but seemed to get better as his reps increased. The problem is this was against draft prospects not seasoned veteran DEs who would make him look like Webb. The reason why some scouts are projecting him as an OT is because of his size and experience of playing both tackle and guard positions. Former NFL GM Charlie Casserly thinks his best position will be RT and he mentions the size and the length of his arms to back up his opinion. I like him at OG because of the way he looked dominant in Senior Bowl practice and on highlights at Georgia.

If the Bears signeed Steinbeck, doesn't that greatly reduce their chance of going OL high? The thinking is we'd kick Chris Williams out to tackle to compete with J Webb & Carimi. On the inside we have E Williams, Spencer, Louis, and Steinbeck. It is possible one of thse guys could get cut, but if we added Steinbeck, the need for an o-lineman would be diminished.

If the Bears signeed Steinbeck, doesn't that greatly reduce their chance of going OL high? The thinking is we'd kick Chris Williams out to tackle to compete with J Webb & Carimi. On the inside we have E Williams, Spencer, Louis, and Steinbeck. It is possible one of thse guys could get cut, but if we added Steinbeck, the need for an o-lineman would be diminished.

I think the possiblity exists that a high draft pick could be a LB. Our depth at LB sucks.

It really doesn't reduce the chance, it just gives us more options. If you need the players sign them. The Bills needed a DE and signed Williams, but then turned around and signed Anderson. This would be sort of the same kind of transaction. Plus we need all the help we can get to protect Cutler.

I think the possiblity exists that a high draft pick could be a LB. Our depth at LB sucks.

As always, I hate that idea. Using high draft picks for depth is a good way to pay rookies a lot of money to sit on the bench, get angry, and wait for the first chance to leave town. Unless a team has no holes, the first round should be to draft a player who is either definitely going to start, or has a good chance of beating out the incumbent to start (i.e. addressing a deficiency).

As always, I hate that idea. Using high draft picks for depth is a good way to pay rookies a lot of money to sit on the bench, get angry, and wait for the first chance to leave town. Unless a team has no holes, the first round should be to draft a player who is either definitely going to start, or has a good chance of beating out the incumbent to start (i.e. addressing a deficiency).

A high draft pick that takes Roachs place and slides to MLB or WLB wouldnt be a bad thing. What if Kuechly drops? I think we can find a high rated player at a position of need but he is a stud and the BPA , you never know. Get him, play him SLB and dont give Urlacher more money when his contract runs out.

A high draft pick that takes Roachs place and slides to MLB or WLB wouldnt be a bad thing. What if Kuechly drops? I think we can find a high rated player at a position of need but he is a stud and the BPA , you never know. Get him, play him SLB and dont give Urlacher more money when his contract runs out.

I REALLY hate the idea now. You essentially want to shit on the cornerstone of the defense, the face of the franchise the past decade. That would not work well, and would hurt the Bears in future negotiations with other players who see the lack of loyalty.

First of all If the senario does come up E williams will be back on the bench backing up whoever goes down . If Steinbeck wre to come it would be. IMHO

Williams C LT

Steinbeck G

Garza C

Spencer G

Carimi RT

Louis and E Williams will support the interior and Webb would go back to Swing Tackle. Depth and starting ability with that depth would make for good line. Thats not including mini camps this year.

I REALLY hate the idea now. You essentially want to shit on the cornerstone of the defense, the face of the franchise the past decade. That would not work well, and would hurt the Bears in future negotiations with other players who see the lack of loyalty.

Many said something similar when we cut ties with Kreutz last summer. He was the cornerstone of the offense for over a decade. Turned out he couldn't play. Thank christ somebody with the Bears had the sense to recognize this and yanked the contract offer before it was too late. New Orleans didn't see it. Unlike New Orleans, we would not have benched him.

It sure as hell didn't hurt the Packers when they did it to Favre for Aaron Rogers. Worked out pretty damn good.

This situation is well documented with quarterbacks. I'm trying to think of a situation where there was a future hall of fame defensive player has his replacement drafted. I'm sure it's happened many times.

Briggs & Urlacher are 33 and 34 this year. I hate the idea because of the legacy those two have enjoyed and because it's not an immediate need, but if Kuechly slipped to #19, we should at least consider it very hard.

First of all If the senario does come up E williams will be back on the bench backing up whoever goes down . If Steinbeck wre to come it would be. IMHO

Williams C LT

Steinbeck G

Garza C

Spencer G

Carimi RT

Louis and E Williams will support the interior and Webb would go back to Swing Tackle. Depth and starting ability with that depth would make for good line. Thats not including mini camps this year.

Chris Williams--Tice loves him at guard, why do we think this would change? I'm just asking.

Garza--we should consider Spencer replacing him. His age concerns me. Just a thought.

Carimi--Can he stay healthy?

Louis--he appears to be a beast. If nothing else, he could be the swing tackle. Everone forgets he started 11 games at RT this year.

Chris Williams--Tice loves him at guard, why do we think this would change? I'm just asking.

Garza--we should consider Spencer replacing him. His age concerns me. Just a thought.

Louis--he appears to be a beast. If nothing else, he could be the swing tackle. Everone forgets he started 11 games at RT this year.

I think they think they have some flexability now. If they get a tackle they leave Williams at OG, if they fill a OG spot with a FAgent, or a high pick they move him out to LT and roll with what we got. I think it is easier for them to upgrade at OG in FAgency than OT so depending on how the draft goes we have some flexablity . I think Spencer is the depth at OC and OG so he stays. I think he plays better at OC so maybe they consider that move with Garza.

Urlacher is in his last year at about 10 mil. Do you want to keep a 35(next year) LB at 10 mil for a couple of more years. I think he stays around but not going to get big money. It didnt do much damage with Kruenz as our OL cornerstone. I dont want a high pick at LB but I think if Kuechly falls they definitly think about it. He is a stud and we find a spot for him.

Urlacher is in his last year at about 10 mil. Do you want to keep a 35(next year) LB at 10 mil for a couple of more years. I think he stays around but not going to get big money. It didnt do much damage with Kruenz as our OL cornerstone. I dont want a high pick at LB but I think if Kuechly falls they definitly think about it. He is a stud and we find a spot for him.

I still think he's playing at a high enough level that the Bears need to pay him well, and that the two parties agree to a justified, respectable end to Urlacher's storied career as a Chicago Bear. Seeing him in another uniform would be a gut punch. Seeing him in another uniform when his body of work should garner a million here or there on respect alone, would be even worse.

It depends on the salary demanded, but if Urlacher is asking for anything even close to reasonable, the Bears should pay it. Even if he's over what they would like, as long as it's not a ridiculous amount (for instance, if he wants a ten year contract), they should look at the difference as a "Hall of Famer"-tax, or something similar, and just do what's right, allowing Urlacher to retire as a Bear.

I still think he's playing at a high enough level that the Bears need to pay him well, and that the two parties agree to a justified, respectable end to Urlacher's storied career as a Chicago Bear. Seeing him in another uniform would be a gut punch. Seeing him in another uniform when his body of work should garner a million here or there on respect alone, would be even worse.

It depends on the salary demanded, but if Urlacher is asking for anything even close to reasonable, the Bears should pay it. Even if he's over what they would like, as long as it's not a ridiculous amount (for instance, if he wants a ten year contract), they should look at the difference as a "Hall of Famer"-tax, or something similar, and just do what's right, allowing Urlacher to retire as a Bear.

I am not saying I would want him gone, but if he wants the 30 for a three year contract, no way I would pay that. I think a resonable contract with incentives would work, but the Bears wont offer him a one year-5 mil deal, He aint worth or deserves(respect) at a big contract.

Williams playing Tackle makes more sense then guard. The reason Tice loved him there was because he really had no choice, lack of depth was huge prblem under JA rule.

As far as Carimi goes.... He has only played one year!!! Where does the injury concern come from?

Louis would be better served inside, his nasty attitude was serve well with some of DT he will face this year.

after looking at the roster on the bears site, I have to change my thought process a bit

I would say the end ends up like this

Carimi RT

Garza RG

Spencer C

Louis LG

Wiliams C LT

Back ups

Webb Swing T

Williams E G

Levi Horn T

PS

Wrotto

Stephens

I disagree with you saying Tice had no choice but to play C Williams at guard. In 2010 he started him at LT, then moved him to guard a few games into the season and kept him there. Omiyale & J Webb played the tackle spots.

He kept C Williams at guard at the start of 2011 in favor of Omiyale, J Webb, & Carimi.

When Carimi was hurt and Omiyale sucked, he kept C Williams at guard and put Lance Louis on the outside.

Tice doesn't hesitate to move guys around. For some reason, he prefers C Williams playing guard.

Williams playing Tackle makes more sense then guard. The reason Tice loved him there was because he really had no choice, lack of depth was huge prblem under JA rule.

As far as Carimi goes.... He has only played one year!!! Where does the injury concern come from?

Louis would be better served inside, his nasty attitude was serve well with some of DT he will face this year.

after looking at the roster on the bears site, I have to change my thought process a bit

I would say the end ends up like this

Carimi RT

Garza RG

Spencer C

Louis LG

Wiliams C LT

Back ups

Webb Swing T

Williams E G

Levi Horn T

PS

Wrotto