Trading down?

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Would anyone be interested in trading down? They could get a lower 1st, still get Nick Perry, and add a 3rd.

Thoughts?

Absolutely. I love the "trade downs." It's typically 2 for the price of one.

That being said, it all depends on the players and the situation. In 2007 when we took Olsen, we had the chance to trade down and didn't. Damn good move. Ironically, that move helped the Brandon Marshall trade happen.

In 2006 we traded down to Buffalo and drafed Hester.

Absolutely. I love the "trade downs." It's typically 2 for the price of one.

That being said, it all depends on the players and the situation. In 2007 when we took Olsen, we had the chance to trade down and didn't. Damn good move. Ironically, that move helped the Brandon Marshall trade happen.

In 2006 we traded down to Buffalo and drafed Hester.

Plus, this year there are a lot of needs: OG, OT, C, WR, S, CB, DE, DT, LB.

I would be up for it as long as we had several options at 19 and felt like we could get that player at 24 (PIT), 25 (DEN), or 26 (HOU) while also picking up a late 3rd rounder or swapping some other picks.

Another scenario would be swapping 1st's then moving into the end of the 2nd from the 3rd, essentially giving us a 1st and 2x 2nds and adding a 4th.

Take Houston at #26 (700), they also have #58 (320) in the 2nd and #121 (52) in the 4th. They move up to #19 (875) in the first, move down to #79 (195) from the 2nd, and give up their 4th rounder, #121.

We get #26, #58, and #121 and give up #19 and #79.

700+320+52=1072 875+195=1070, Pretty close in terms of draft value.

New England is also an option at #27 as they have a bunch of picks, but they always seem to fleece people.

Now if someone falls to us that we didn't expect to be there, I say we keep the pick unless we get an offer we cannot refuse.

Guest TerraTor
Would anyone be interested in trading down? They could get a lower 1st, still get Nick Perry, and add a 3rd.

Thoughts?

Definitely ..not much change from 19 to the late 20s

Definitely ..not much change from 19 to the late 20s

That's kind of why I like the idea. A lot of the trade possibilities depend on what happens before the Bears select, but it seems like they may be sitting at a "reach for the fourth best player at a position"-spot when that same guy will be there several picks later.

Going off of RME JICO's draft swap with the Texans, we could potentially end up with the following (according to the layout of Walter Football):

1st (26): Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

2nd (50): Zebrie Sanders, OT, FSU

2nd (58): Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall

4th (111): Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette

4th (121): Michael Brewster, C, OSU

5th (150): Vontaze Burfict, LB, ASU

I'd consider that a pretty great draft. Gilmore fills a hole (even though I'm not high on him), Sanders should start over Webb (despite his boneheaded play), at the very least Curry gets used as a situational pass rusher, Green probably beats out Davis (and gets rid of some other dead weight on the roster), Brewster gets a year or two of development before he takes over, and the Bears try to catch lightning in a bottle with the type of troubled, misunderstood player for whom Lovie seems to have a soft heart.

Yes, love trading down. The tradedown to get Grossman and Haynes worked so well.... :banghead

It is always fun to pick from a more diluted talent pool. :rolleyes:

from where we are picking there wont be one stand out top choice unless someone falls. The best values are in the top of the second round.

Guest TerraTor
Yes, love trading down. The tradedown to get Grossman and Haynes worked so well.... :banghead

It is always fun to pick from a more diluted talent pool. :rolleyes:

You can thank Emery in part for that...... :unsure:

That's kind of why I like the idea. A lot of the trade possibilities depend on what happens before the Bears select, but it seems like they may be sitting at a "reach for the fourth best player at a position"-spot when that same guy will be there several picks later.

Going off of RME JICO's draft swap with the Texans, we could potentially end up with the following (according to the layout of Walter Football):

1st (26): Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

2nd (50): Zebrie Sanders, OT, FSU

2nd (58): Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall

4th (111): Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette

4th (121): Michael Brewster, C, OSU

5th (150): Vontaze Burfict, LB, ASU

I'd consider that a pretty great draft. Gilmore fills a hole (even though I'm not high on him), Sanders should start over Webb (despite his boneheaded play), at the very least Curry gets used as a situational pass rusher, Green probably beats out Davis (and gets rid of some other dead weight on the roster), Brewster gets a year or two of development before he takes over, and the Bears try to catch lightning in a bottle with the type of troubled, misunderstood player for whom Lovie seems to have a soft heart.

How so?

I'm actually not as big of a fan of trading down for the Bears as I usually am.

This Bears team needs, IMO, guys who can step in and contribute immediately. That means first round talent to me.

But, I only see what, 2 positions now where the Bears legitimately need a starter candidate? DE and OT? Now that they've added the CB spot, they need an OT and a DE starter, and maybe not both of those.

I'd almost be a bigger fan of sacrificing the depth and moving upwards. They just signed the depth. They could use depth at Safety, WR, LB, and that's about it. They could sacrifice a 6th rounder to move up and get the DE they wanted and it would make sense to me.

I'm for anything as long as Emery doesn't stockpile 7th rounders like JA. The way the FA period has gone, the draft has more importance. We could really use starting caliber players at OL, DT, DE, WR, CB ad LB. If we can get 3 of those, it will be lightning in a bottle for this team.

I'm actually not as big of a fan of trading down for the Bears as I usually am.

This Bears team needs, IMO, guys who can step in and contribute immediately. That means first round talent to me.

But, I only see what, 2 positions now where the Bears legitimately need a starter candidate? DE and OT? Now that they've added the CB spot, they need an OT and a DE starter, and maybe not both of those.

I'd almost be a bigger fan of sacrificing the depth and moving upwards. They just signed the depth. They could use depth at Safety, WR, LB, and that's about it. They could sacrifice a 6th rounder to move up and get the DE they wanted and it would make sense to me.

Nobody will let you move up in the first or second round only giving up a 6th round pick. In the first, you will be giving up at least a 3rd and a 5th, and maybe have to give up your second instead. For the second at least a 4th and something else.

Nobody will let you move up in the first or second round only giving up a 6th round pick. In the first, you will be giving up at least a 3rd and a 5th, and maybe have to give up your second instead. For the second at least a 4th and something else.

Yeah, if you are talking about 5 slots, you need to at least give up a 3rd rounder to move up in the first, a 4th rounder to move up in the 2nd, a 5th rounder to move up in the 3rd.

Nothing is a guarantee. There are plenty of pick later than 19 that have been better football players.

there has been a lot of busts in the first to, generally you get better players the higher you pick. I would like to say you have to know what your doing, and this is suppose to be Emerys forte so we can only hope. There a lot of examples finding a good player in the second round, but most of your impact players are higher in a draft.

A 6th rounder can be enough to move up a spot or two in the first round.

In the "botched" trade with Baltimore last year in the draft it would have cost us a 4th rounder to move up from 29th to 26th.

I am assuming if we tried to move up from 19th in the first it would cost more than moving up 3 spots from the 29th.

To move up a few spots in "Blue Chip" territory my guess is it would take a 3rd minimum.

In the "botched" trade with Baltimore last year in the draft it would have cost us a 4th rounder to move up from 29th to 26th.

I am assuming if we tried to move up from 19th in the first it would cost more than moving up 3 spots from the 29th.

To move up a few spots in "Blue Chip" territory my guess is it would take a 3rd minimum.

Agreed with what it would take. That's still considered somewhat "crazy territory" where teams are willing to go all in for that guy they want.

Considering all of our needs, that 3rd round pick is incredibly important for the Bears. I could see us moving down a few spots to recapture next year's 3rd round pick we gave up in the Marshall deal.