Bears’ hope for Hester: Catch more passes

Wesson44

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Bears’ hope for Hester: Catch more passes, return fewer kickoffs

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 10, 2012, 7:39 AM EDT

Devin Hester may be the best return man in NFL history, but that doesn’t mean that’s his primary role in Chicago.

The Chicago Tribune connects the dots with the addition of Eric Weems and Devin Thomas, two players with experience as kickoff returners, and notes that last year Johnny Knox averaged more yards per kickoff return than Hester, and says it all adds up to the Bears making Hester an integral part of the offense at wide receiver and cutting down on his kickoff returns.

“We have that versatility now,” Bears coach Lovie Smith said. “We added another good player into the [kickoff-return] mix in Devin Thomas.”

Chicago has pushed Hester as more of a receiver and less of a returner before, in 2009, when he had a career-high 57 catches and career lows in both kickoff returns (seven) and punt returns (24). Hester has always been a better punt returner than kickoff returner and will almost certainly remain the primary punt returner this year after leading the league with a 16.2-yard average last year.

But on kickoff returns it appears that the Bears are ready to phase him out. Knox is recovering from a serious back injury and may not play in 2012, but the presence of Weems and Thomas will allow Hester to sit kickoffs out.

How long is it going to take the Bears before they realize Devin Hester is a terrible WR? The thought of him being limited from his kick return duties is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Disagree/agree.

He is not a terrible WR. In fact, he's probably a little above average. His stats, ability, performance, and sheer athleticism prove this.

At the same time, moving him away from ST in favor of more WR reps just doesn't make sense. Afterall, he's the best returnman in the history of the NFL.

Disagree/agree.

He is not a terrible WR. In fact, he's probably a little above average. His stats, ability, performance, and sheet athleticism prove this.

At the same time, moving him away from ST in favor of more WR reps just doesn't make sense. Afterall, he's the best returnman in the history of the NFL.

Yep. As you mentioned previously, he's an ideal #3 WR. We just need to not play him in the slot, where under Martz's system always meant him going across the middle.

Get him on the field in limited doses and utilize him on special teams.

Disagree/agree.

He is not a terrible WR. In fact, he's probably a little above average. His stats, ability, performance, and sheet athleticism prove this.

Agreed 100%

Peace :dabears

Serious question...why is returning kickoffs so different from returning punts?

Just as much, why, with his abilities, would he not be superb at kick returns?

A return man needs to have speed, balance (to stay on their feet while being bumped or grabbed, even at very high speeds), agility and acceleration (for juking and then regaining speed afterwards), vision (where the lanes are and where they will be), a creative unpredictability (anything to get the opposition to make a false move that can be exploited), and a sense of timing (when to follow blockers and when to just go full tilt towards the goal).

Devin should be just as awesone at kick returns. The only thing I can think of is that coverage teams are so well-practiced in this day and age that good kick returns are maybe more dependent on unforced errors...often resulting in a one-move-and-he's-gone scenario. ...whereas there are more variables in punt return coverage, meaning a guy with Hester's talents has more opportunity to make somethig happen. And he is kind of a 'dancer'. Are there returners with the opposite problem, that is, they are clearly better as kick returners?

Kick returns probably wear you out more too, which is a factor for a guy who has to take the field on first down.

To actually answer your question, balta, (at least partially)...the main difference in my mind has got to be the catching of the punt. A punt returner has to be able to know when to catch the ball and when to let it bounce, be able to wave a fair catch at the last second if necessary, never muff the punt catch, hold onto the ball after getting drilled immediately afterwards, and be able to 'dance' just a bit to maybe cause a lane to open up. He also has to play deep saftey if the punt is a fake (be able to tackle, basically).

Seems to me punt returning is harder and anyone who can punt return should be able to kick return, but I don't know.

To actually answer your question, balta, (at least partially)...the main difference in my mind has got to be the catching of the punt. A punt returner has to be able to know when to catch the ball and when to let it bounce, be able to wave a fair catch at the last second if necessary, never muff the punt catch, hold onto the ball after getting drilled immediately afterwards, and be able to 'dance' just a bit to maybe cause a lane to open up. He also has to play deep saftey if the punt is a fake (be able to tackle, basically).

Seems to me punt returning is harder and anyone who can punt return should be able to kick return, but I don't know.

The big diference in kickoff and punt returns is the coverage from the other team. On kickoffs the special team units are taught to stay in their lanes when running down the field making it harder for the return man to find a lane to run to because the team has a running start from the line. But with punt returns the special teams unit have to fan out over the field after being held up at the line giving the returner better chances of finding lanes to run to. Every time Hester runs north and south..once he breaks that first wave the rest is history.Also on kickoffs you have faster guys CB, He should be used on both kickoffs and punts IMHO.

The big diference in kickoff and punt returns is the coverage from the other team. On kickoffs the special team units are taught to stay in their lanes when running down the field making it harder for the return man to find a lane to run to because the team has a running start from the line. But with punt returns the special teams unit have to fan out over the field after being held up at the line giving the returner better chances of finding lanes to run to. Every time Hester runs north and south..once he breaks that first wave the rest is history.Also on kickoffs you have faster guys CB, He should be used on both kickoffs and punts IMHO.

Agreed on all. I was going to say its different from what the returner sees. It goes right along with the coverage differences you explained. Hester is very visual, with a one cut and go mentality. He may simply see punts better. Plus they may not want him on KR because those guys can take some train wreck hits.

Hester is very visual, with a one cut and go mentality.

That's the opposite of what I've seen. He may "one cut and go" when he doesn't need to do anything else (I remember one such return; the blocking was that good), but in general he's a bit of a 'dancer'. He'll make multiple unpredictable moves if necessary while watching how individual guys on coverage respond...to see if an opportunity develops.

Well...maybe that's a bit strongly worded. I guess the better way to put it is that he'll do multiple cuts more often than most returners. All returners tend towards minimizing cuts and trying to get upfield. They're taught to. Hester just does it less than most because he's got the skills to warrant it.

If I'm a coach, my punt returner is going to have great hands. For the KR, I don't really care about that. Fortunately, now that Hester's been moved to WR, he gets constant practice catching.

With the new kickoff rules there isn't as many opportunities(Touchbacks) and if this defense plays the way it is supposed to he will get many opportunities to return punts.

To answer your question kickoff returnmen that succeed are better at hitting a hole and going where as the great punt returners are more elusive. I think Hester is better at punts but he is solid at kickoffs also.This is old news anyway since Manning and Knox have both been the the primary kickoff returners the last couple of years.

That's the opposite of what I've seen. He may "one cut and go" when he doesn't need to do anything else (I remember one such return; the blocking was that good), but in general he's a bit of a 'dancer'. He'll make multiple unpredictable moves if necessary while watching how individual guys on coverage respond...to see if an opportunity develops.

Well...maybe that's a bit strongly worded. I guess the better way to put it is that he'll do multiple cuts more often than most returners. All returners tend towards minimizing cuts and trying to get upfield. They're taught to. Hester just does it less than most because he's got the skills to warrant it.

If I'm a coach, my punt returner is going to have great hands. For the KR, I don't really care about that. Fortunately, now that Hester's been moved to WR, he gets constant practice catching.

Most of his successful returns have been from cutting and going. Or course you hit on it when you mentioned blocking. If there are no lanes, he tends to dance. That's when I cring, because good things usually don't happen when he changes direction multiple times.

Kickoffs travel 70+ yards and the kicking team has a running start with essentially 10 special teamers who all can tackle and most are in position by the time the ball is returned.

Punts are normally done with somewhat of a normal line for blocking and the center, so you are cutting down on the true special teamers to about 5 or 6. Additionally, punts are going 40-50 yards, so there is less time for the kicking team to get in place to defend against the return.