Decent read

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/ro...t-chicago-bears

Projecting the draft: Chicago Bears

By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com

The Bears have a new general manager in Phil Emery, a new offense headed by Mike Tice and a familiar set of needs.

Emery, an understudy of late Bears and Packers front office man Mark Hatley with strong ties to Scott Pioli, gave the Bears a head start in March, acquiring a No. 1 receiver in Brandon Marshall for a team that last had a 1,000-yard receiver in 2003 (Marty Booker). The Bears also signed Michael Bush, a strong 1A option behind disgruntled franchised running back Matt Forte but struck out in the market for a difference-making pass rusher.

The Bears continued to make the rounds to get close-up looks at receivers in the weeks that followed with coach Lovie Smith present for the pro day workouts of Michael Floyd (Notre Dame), Kendall Wright (Baylor) and Stephen Hill (Georgia Tech).

But their heart is set on getting line help, too, and with the 19th overall pick, should have a chance to land an NFL ready receiver or pass rusher depending on how the top of the draft plays out.

Five picks Phil Emery should contemplate:

WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame (NFLDraftScout.com overall ranking: 10)

Floyd's measurables and workout numbers speak for themselves, but it could be his interviews with teams that is ultimately driving his market entering the draft. Floyd's off-field transgressions are well-documented, be he's been extremely accountable, contrite and sounds like his past is in the past. The Bears acquired another receiver with a history of off-field headlines, Brandon Marshall, in March but Floyd would be a dandy find in the first round. Consider he's been praised as a top blocker by several position coaches, icing on the cake after Floyd displayed sub-4.5 speed and excellent route running to go with a big body, massive mitts and a high competitive grade. The Bears wouldn't ask him to carry the offense, but they're interested in seeing what Jay Cutler might produce after going from working without a No. 1 to having a pair of lead receivers.

DE Chandler Jones, Syracuse, NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 37

The Bears haven't been shy about their affinity for Jones, but he's one of the fastest-rising prospects in the draft. Largely unnoticed early in the draft process, athletic testing sent scouts back to find out if Jones, 6-5, 266, was more than a workout warrior.

His 35-inch vertical, 120-inch broad jump and eyebrow-raising results in the three-cone drill (7.07) and short shuttle (4.38) highlight his explosiveness, ability to change direction at close to full speed and lateral agility. On paper -- add his 35 1/2-inch arm length -- he's nearly from the mold of the perfect pass-rushing prototype. The buzz isn't going away. Not only are their whispers Jones has climbed into the first round, he could be drafted in the middle of the first round. If he's there at 19, bet on Jones being one of the player the Bears deliberate.

DT Mike Martin, Michigan, NFLDraftScout.com overall ranking: 79

There might not be enough superlatives in Rod Marinelli's vocabulary for the overachieving Martin. He's built low to the ground, wins with his hands, balance and body control and keeps pushing when stalemated off the snap. It's Martin's stocky build, extremely short arms and inability to stand up against tandem blocks that will push him out of the top 60 picks. Marinelli and coach Lovie Smith might not be wowed by his measurable, but his hustle, versatility and can-do attitude back his lunchpail effort at the Senior Bowl to stamp Martin as a third-round consideration. He won't be asked to handle multiple gaps in the Bears' penetrating four-man line and rarely would see a double team with Julius Peppers and presumably another threat added via the draft working off the edges.

TE Michael Egnew, Missouri, NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 116

Smith has repeated it ad nauseam -- Kellen Davis is a player -- and Tice's offense in Minnesota often accentuated the tight end (Jim Kleinsasser, Jermaine Wiggins) in the red zone. Davis, at 6-7, was a full-time starter last season. Not limited athletically, he's also not a game breaker. He'll get looks in the red zone -- five of his 18 receptions last season were touchdowns -- and can block in the running game. But Egnew, an overgrown receiver, has the straight-line speed (4.54 40 at the Combine) and soft hands to demand attention, if not help dictate coverage downfield. Jay Cutler's input can help sway the decision to add another athlete. His most productive seasons in Denver with Marshall also featured Tony Scheffler as a No. 2 option (49 receptions, five touchdowns in Cutler's first season as a fulltime starter).

No tight end in the class was more productive in his career than Egnew and he's added 16 pounds since his junior year that, if he can maintain the weight, give him more legitimate NFL size. The Bears will have to rate Egnew's toughness and competitiveness more highly than they did jettisoned softy Greg Olsen. One aspect that might deter Tice -- Egnew will offer next to nothing as an inline blocker coming out of Missouri's spread system in which he operated as an extra receiver off the line of scrimmage. But whether Smith believes it or not, that's what Davis is for.

ILB Tank Carder, TCU, NFLDraftScout.com overall ranking: 151

Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs are on the wrong side of 30. Carter, 6-2, 238, showed better agility than scouts expected at the Scouting Combine and carries his weight well enough to be used outside -- witness three career interception returns for touchdowns. He was a middle linebacker for the Horned Frogs as a two-time Mountain West defensive player of the year. Like Briggs, who measured 6-1, 242 coming out of Arizona in 2003 and ran a 4.75 40-yard dash and was a third-round pick (68th), Carder's instincts and football intelligence get him to the ball quickly. As a rookie, Carder could be a valuable swing backup and begin the grooming process to eventually take over for Urlacher or Briggs. Carder's best pro comparison might be former Tampa Bay Buccaneers tackle machine Barrett Ruud (Seahawks), who had four straight seasons with 110-plus tackles in Tampa's cover-two before an injury-plagued 2011 in Tennessee.

I agree, I would like to see at least one quality OLman in FA and one in the draft. They do not need to be pro bowlers, would be great if they were, but even if the two were above average OLmen that can help give Tice alternatives to use in case the status quo fails to live up to what would seem to be high expectations.

I agree, I would like to see at least one quality OLman in FA and one in the draft. They do not need to be pro bowlers, would be great if they were, but even if the two were above average OLmen that can help give Tice alternatives to use in case the status quo fails to live up to what would seem to be high expectations.

I don't know if they have the roster spots to add two O-Linemen and keep them on the roster compared to last year, but there's definitely still room for 1.

I don't like the idea of Jones at #19. Late riser, coming off serious injury, and scouts had to scramble back to his tape to see if his on-the-field performance matched his athleticism. Not what you want to hear, especially that last part, about the 19th pick in the draft.

Guest TerraTor
I don't like the idea of Jones at #19. Late riser, coming off serious injury, and scouts had to scramble back to his tape to see if his on-the-field performance matched his athleticism. Not what you want to hear, especially that last part, about the 19th pick in the draft.

Not sure he was suggesting the guys at 19

Not sure he was suggesting the guys at 19

First you would definitily have to consider Floyd, but he wont be there at 19, so end of that conversation Jones wont be a first round pick, so maybe taking him in the second is possible. the others do fit if drafted in the later rounds.

I like those picks, but no O-Line? I know this is not an all-inclusive list, but kinda scary not to see any O-Line picks Phil should contemplate.

I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't go o-line. I could easily see us signing a guy like Eric Steinbeck, kicking Chris Williams out to compete witih Carimi & Webb, then spending the rest of the off-season talking about how happy we are with our offensive line and how they'll improve with Tice as OC.

First you would definitily have to consider Floyd, but he wont be there at 19, so end of that conversation Jones wont be a first round pick, so maybe taking him in the second is possible. the others do fit if drafted in the later rounds.

With Floyd it's going to come down to how teams judge his character. Teams may look at the 3 DUI's (or whatever it was) and say "hell no." He drop well past the Bears. If it's not an issue, Jacksonville may take him as high as #7.

I would say Floyd has a chance to be there at 19. Looking at other team's needs, here are the teams that WR would be considered a top 3 need (MIN, CLE, MIA, BUF, ARZ, NYJ), so 6 teams before 19. Now he won't go to MIN or CLE because they will take Kalil, Blackmon, or Richardson. That leave MIA at 9, BUF at 10, ARZ at 13, and NYJ at 16. I doubt he goes in the top 10 with the other players available. So that leaves Arizona and NYJ. I think Floyd has a good shot at being there at 19.

I would say Floyd has a chance to be there at 19. Looking at other team's needs, here are the teams that WR would be considered a top 3 need (MIN, CLE, MIA, BUF, ARZ, NYJ), so 6 teams before 19. Now he won't go to MIN or CLE because they will take Kalil, Blackmon, or Richardson. That leave MIA at 9, BUF at 10, ARZ at 13, and NYJ at 16. I doubt he goes in the top 10 with the other players available. So that leaves Arizona and NYJ. I think Floyd has a good shot at being there at 19.

I agree and it will hinge on a couple of players Gilmore and Kirkpatrick as well as pass rushers Upshaw,Perry and Mercilus.The Chargers are one team that could take Floyd and team him with Eddie Royal.

Jones missed 5 games after suffering an injury in the teams first game. He checked out healthy at the Combine and has been rising up draft boards after more hands on workouts with pro personnel watching.The scramble to see the on-the-field performance is the same thing teams are doing for Stephen Hill,Bruce Irvin and Josh Robinson.These guys all surprised with their workouts at Indy catching teams off guard. Don't be shocked if he goes early.After Coples who has motivation questions about him he is considered the next best prospect who can also play the DE in a 3-4 scheme. Some scouts feel he could put on the weight needed to play that 5 technique and with the premium on pass rushers in the league he could be over drafted.

I still believe that the Bears are hoping for Fletcher Cox to be there when they pick at 19.

Jones missed 5 games after suffering an injury in the teams first game. He checked out healthy at the Combine and has been rising up draft boards after more hands on workouts with pro personnel watching.The scramble to see the on-the-field performance is the same thing teams are doing for Stephen Hill,Bruce Irvin and Josh Robinson.These guys all surprised with their workouts at Indy catching teams off guard. Don't be shocked if he goes early.After Coples who has motivation questions about him he is considered the next best prospect who can also play the DE in a 3-4 scheme. Some scouts feel he could put on the weight needed to play that 5 technique and with the premium on pass rushers in the league he could be over drafted.

I still believe that the Bears are hoping for Fletcher Cox to be there when they pick at 19.

Cox would be a good valve and need for us. I think one of the top players will drop, the question will be which one. I think with Tannerhill will be taken early so that gives us one more shot at one of our needs. Do you think we would consider Brockers if he drops as a DT that fits our scheme.

I'd be happy with Fletcher Cox at #19. Seems like he'd be good value there and he definitely fills a need at DT. He should upgrade our pass rush quite a bit. Add a DE later maybe a guy like Irvin in the 2nd Rd. That seems early for him but he's been rising up draft boards lately. Then we should have early pressure on any pass play coming from one of several places: Peppers, Melton, Cox, occasionally Izzy, and on 3rd and long Irvin. If Paea picks up the pace this year that could be an excellent line.

Add WR in Rd 3, I think someone like Juron Criner could work for us. Then go OG in Rd 4 and take CB Omar Bolden out of ASU in Rd 5. Bolden needs more time to fully recover from his knee injury but we don't need to throw him into action right away. If he recovers fully he's a pretty good CB.