Draft Buzz Beware!

lemonej

In the last couple of weeks there has been a buzz that Notre Dame safety Harrison Smith is rising up draft boards and could sneak into the first round.I say buyer beware. Since the Irish are on national TV just about every week he was not a name that I focused on when they played and he didn't do much to make me notice.This is a bad safety class IMO and I would try to selecta CB that would project to safety since this scheme needs a guy to cover deep with ball skills.Barron for sure is the best player at the position but there has been big debate for all others as to who would be the next off the board. Smith has started to emerge as the next but, I would wait and try to draft Christian Thompson of So Carolina St. who transferred from Auburn in round 4. Past experiences with this coach makes me leary of the second round pick where we have tended to draft reaches throughout the years under JA with the idea that he is supplying Lovie's schemes on offense and defense.

It would be interesting to compare draft boards from December/January and now to see how many and which players have jumped up the boards. I wonder how many of those picks actually worked out, or if the original assessments were better (more accurate).

Mark Barron is the only safety worth drafting in the 1st round. That guy is going to be a stud. I think Dallas is almost surely going to grab him if he's there at 14 though, and if not, possibly Philly, who hasn't had a real safety since Brian Dawkins.

At the end of his post, Lemon mentions he's leary of 2nd round picks. Previously he mentioned Dawkins was creeping into the late first round. I don't think he meant we'd take Dawkins at #19. I'd be surprised if we took Barron at #19.

It's funny you mention Dallas will take Barron. All the mocks have Dallas taking Barron, yet, supposedly they want Dontari Poe real bad. Or they want people to think they want Poe so they can draft Barron. I love draft time.

That being said, I know I was pissed when we took Conte in the 3rd round. He was mostly invisible on the field, which ain't bad if you're a defensive back. I can't think of a single play where we cursed Angelo for drafting him.

Safety is one position where we seem happy with our two starters. We need depth. You don't draft for depth in the first 3 rounds. You do that later. I don't see us taking Dawkins.

I still say in our division with the Packers and Lions offenses we better get some serious pass rush help or our DBs will never look good no matter who is back there. Not to say we must do that in Rd 1 I hope we take the best player available even if it's Keuchly. We have to grab the talent that falls into our lap and there should be a solid value pick waiting for us at 19.

At the end of his post, Lemon mentions he's leary of 2nd round picks. Previously he mentioned Dawkins was creeping into the late first round. I don't think he meant we'd take Dawkins at #19. I'd be surprised if we took Barron at #19.

Haha. Huh?

I'm talking about the former All Pro Brian Dawkins that played for the Eagles previously and now the Broncos.

I think Dallas is almost surely going to grab him if he's there at 14 though, and if not, possibly Philly, who hasn't had a real safety since Brian Dawkins.

Random question...how long have Wonderlic score been confidential? I've seen long lists detailing thoroughly NFL player's Wonderlic scores, so I'm confused. Google isn't helping.

Wonderlic scores are usually leaked by teams and agents depending on their agendas.

Wow, that's a lot of leaking. Maybe some people feel there's a kind of statute of limitations. After 10 years, who cares? sort of a thing.

Remember when there was rumors about Vince Young's low score as well as the leaking of former Bengal Pat McInerney getting a perfect score. Wunderlic scores isn't the only thing that is being leaked. The information from Janoris Jenkins background check is out in the public now and we have posted comments about it. When he was at the Combine I had no idea that he had a lot of kids spread around but that info is out now. I just thought he was like a lot of pro athletes who like to smoke weed. Evidently he didn't curtail his partying ways in Alabama and that is sad because there are highlights of him out jumping Alshon Jeffrey for a ball. A couple of years ago there was an OT prospect from Abilene Christian named Tony Washington who was rated by some draft sites as the 20th ranked prospect overall. This kid goes from rated 20th to undrafted. Why? His background check went to all the teams that he had sex with an under-age girl and rumors persist that she was related to him.He was taken off eveyone's draft board and this info was never leaked to the media because of his impending legal troubles related to this issue.I found out after continuing to search his name. I'm just waiting for some info to come out about Bruce Irvin that exposes his bad side.

lemonej,

Please keep up your solid draft work! I learn more from you on drafts past, present and future than anywhere else!

Remember when there was rumors about Vince Young's low score as well as the leaking of former Bengal Pat McInerney getting a perfect score. Wunderlic scores isn't the only thing that is being leaked. The information from Janoris Jenkins background check is out in the public now and we have posted comments about it. When he was at the Combine I had no idea that he had a lot of kids spread around but that info is out now. I just thought he was like a lot of pro athletes who like to smoke weed. Evidently he didn't curtail his partying ways in Alabama and that is sad because there are highlights of him out jumping Alshon Jeffrey for a ball. A couple of years ago there was an OT prospect from Abilene Christian named Tony Washington who was rated by some draft sites as the 20th ranked prospect overall. This kid goes from rated 20th to undrafted. Why? His background check went to all the teams that he had sex with an under-age girl and rumors persist that she was related to him.He was taken off eveyone's draft board and this info was never leaked to the media because of his impending legal troubles related to this issue.I found out after continuing to search his name. I'm just waiting for some info to come out about Bruce Irvin that exposes his bad side.

lemonej,

Please keep up your solid draft work! I learn more from you on drafts past, present and future than anywhere else!

This is my time of the year because of how I grew up. My dad was a big magazine reader and brought home Who's Who in baseball and Street and Smith Football prevue.He would read it and I guess win a couple of bar arguements but I would digest the info as if nothing else mattered. It makes me believe that I love this process more than any other talent evaluation process of the other sports. I am a former baseball and (16inch Chicago-style) softball player that loves football on all levels and wish I had played the game as a youngster. WTBS as a person who never played the game I have to ask my friends and family their opinions and do some research plus watch the games and listen to what is being said.

Thanks for a nice compliment. Coming from a passionate straight shooter like yourself ,I appreciate it.

:cheers

This is my time of the year because of how I grew up. My dad was a big magazine reader and brought home Who's Who in baseball and Street and Smith Football prevue.He would read it and I guess win a couple of bar arguements but I would digest the info as if nothing else mattered. It makes me believe that I love this process more than any other talent evaluation process of the other sports. I am a former baseball and (16inch Chicago-style) softball player that loves football on all levels and wish I had played the game as a youngster. WTBS as a person who never played the game I have to ask my friends and family their opinions and do some research plus watch the games and listen to what is being said.

Thanks for a nice compliment. Coming from a passionate straight shooter like yourself ,I appreciate it.