Some speculation on pick #19

azbearsfan

On one hand you're getting a guy that provides next to nothing in the pass rush department, but on the other hand you're getting a very raw player with all the physical tools to become a pretty dominant defensive lineman. He only started 1 year at LSU so I guess he's been a late bloomer, but I'm not sure there aren't better options than him at 19. I wouldn't hate the pick but given how we already made the Paea pick last year, DT is not really a need at all.

On one hand you're getting a guy that provides next to nothing in the pass rush department, but on the other hand you're getting a very raw player with all the physical tools to become a pretty dominant defensive lineman. He only started 1 year at LSU so I guess he's been a late bloomer, but I'm not sure there aren't better options than him at 19. I wouldn't hate the pick but given how we already made the Paea pick last year, DT is not really a need at all.

How can you say that?

Paea, Melton, and who else are the DT's? Exactly.

How can you say that?

Using a high draft pick on the position last year makes it a non need in the 1st round. Paea may be a bust, but drafting two DT within the 1st two rounds 2 consecutive years? Really? If you want to fill out the position, spend a pick in the later rounds on one or sign a free agent once the market opens up again after the draft.

Using a high draft pick on the position last year makes it a non need in the 1st round. Paea may be a bust, but drafting two DT within the 1st two rounds 2 consecutive years? Really? If you want to fill out the position, spend a pick in the later rounds on one or sign a free agent once the market opens up again after the draft.

Disagree. If it's a need, it's a need. Hell, the Bears took Wilbur and Rivera in the first and second rounds of the SAME draft.

I see Todd McCshay has us taking Stephon Gilmore with our 19th pick. I'm a fan of both Gilmore and Kirkpatrick but Gilmore is more of the physical corner that has the potential to be a shut down guy. Kirkpatrick strength is in pass coverage, reading and reacting to where the throw is going to go. He's excellent in zone coverage and has the height to cover some of the bigger WR's in this league.

The New York Giants seem to draft DL every year and it has turned out well for them. If the BPA is a DT, we need to take him. I would prefer Cox but it aint my job, so this is just Bear talk.

I see Todd McCshay has us taking Stephon Gilmore with our 19th pick. I'm a fan of both Gilmore and Kirkpatrick but Gilmore is more of the physical corner that has the potential to be a shut down guy. Kirkpatrick strength is in pass coverage, reading and reacting to where the throw is going to go. He's excellent in zone coverage and has the height to cover some of the bigger WR's in this league.

McShay is a good talker but if you look at players he rates high, he misses just as many as he hits. I would take Kirkpatrick over Gilmore, but its a mute point, we wont be picking a CB in the first round.

How can you say that?

Ding Ding! B Bear and I believe that this GM has come from a team (KC) that likes to build up front first and they like receivers with size. While Emery was there they drafted SEC and ACC heavily. With Emery coming here after the season he has to have done his evaluations prior to coming here so he may have some guys he may have up his sleeve and factor in he was here early on with Lovie as coach.

I will almost guarantee they go "pass rush" with the first pick, maybe two. Our defense is overly predicated on it. it will cure a lot of other ills on D & O.

I'll take it one step further and say this team isn't going anywhere without an improved pass rush. This is our most important need. OL included...

I will almost guarantee they go "pass rush" with the first pick, maybe two. Our defense is overly predicated on it. it will cure a lot of other ills on D & O.

I'll take it one step further and say this team isn't going anywhere without an improved pass rush. This is our most important need. OL included...

I think LT is our biggest need, but we will draft a DE or DT with the first round because of the available players at those spots that should be there.

I think LT is our biggest need, but we will draft a DE or DT with the first round because of the available players at those spots that should be there.

Correct answer. The DE/DT talent available when the Bears draft will most likely be higher rated than the #3 or #4 LT prospect.

Yes, the Oline stats will be better just with the switch in OC's. I think I read the stat that 18 of Cutler 25 sacks last year were before Fartz got sent to the principals office and was forced to reel it in.

At this point, I will be surprised if D Line was not in the cards with the first pick.