Final Mock 2012

ASHKUM BEAR

Final Mock using Emery/Lovie draft board....

RD1 Whitney Mercilus DE IL 6-4 261 4.63 40yd

Mercilus has been on the draft boards from the get go. He performed well on tape and did what he had to in the combine and pro day to maintain his status. The Bears have shown interest in him and the position makes sense.

RD2 Harrison Smith FS ND 6-2 213 4.56 40yd

Smith was a combine climber and has caught the attention of Lovie Smith. With Wright's health always in limbo and safety a big part of Lovies D the Bears seem like the same old Bears and take another FS.

RD3 Jeff Allen OLT IL 6-4 307 33-1/2 arm

Allen is a legit LT that will take some time developing. Mike Tice is known for his past developments and can work with Allen to get him up to speed to compete with Webb.

RD4 Marvin McNutt WR IA 6-3 216 4.54 40yd

RD5 Emmanuel Acho OLB 6-1 238

RD6 Vontaze Burfict ILB 6-1 248

RD7 Kevin Koger TE

Final Mock using Emery/Lovie draft board....

RD1 Whitney Mercilus DE IL 6-4 261 4.63 40yd

Mercilus has been on the draft boards from the get go. He performed well on tape and did what he had to in the combine and pro day to maintain his status. The Bears have shown interest in him and the position makes sense.

RD2 Harrison Smith FS ND 6-2 213 4.56 40yd

Smith was a combine climber and has caught the attention of Lovie Smith. With Wright's health always in limbo and safety a big part of Lovies D the Bears seem like the same old Bears and take another FS.

RD3 Jeff Allen OLT IL 6-4 307 33-1/2 arm

Allen is a legit LT that will take some time developing. Mike Tice is known for his past developments and can work with Allen to get him up to speed to compete with Webb.

RD4 Marvin McNutt WR IA 6-3 216 4.54 40yd

RD5 Emmanuel Acho OLB 6-1 238

RD6 Vontaze Burfict ILB 6-1 248

RD7 Kevin Koger TE

What is Vontaze Burfict going to do in our defense with his 5sec+ forty time? Do you think this late round pick can play special teams? I just don't see him fitting in our style of play and if he gets drafted I think it will be by a 3-4 team with the intention being to play Burfict at ILB.

What is Vontaze Burfict going to do in our defense with his 5sec+ forty time? Do you think this late round pick can play special teams? I just don't see him fitting in our style of play and if he gets drafted I think it will be by a 3-4 team with the intention being to play Burfict at ILB.

From the stuff I have been reading, there is a chance he wont even be drafted. Lovie is a speed guy, so if we get some one late rounds, they will be able to run.

Guest TerraTor

Studs like Okwo...Iwuh....Leon Joe

Im not giving the guy undue credit but for 6th round

He sure as hell plays faster than his 40 times. I think he could be one of the biggest steals of the draft if he ends up going in the 6th or 7th like most mocks seem to think. The guy has explosion towards the ball, hits like a ton of bricks, has great anticipation for snap-counts, is pretty sound in gap responsibility, is a fairly sure tackler (more of a hitter like Briggs), fights off blockers well, and simply makes plays.

The fact that he's immature and didn't prepare for the draft/combine should only be red flag warning, not a reason to ignore his production on the field. It wasn't too long ago he was an All-American and considered a first round pick. To be honest, the way he hits, acts, talks, and swaggers all over the place reminds me a lot of the characters on the 85 Bears team. I'd love to see the Bears use a 6th or 7th on a guy like him - it's not like those draft picks regularly amount to much anyway. And who knows...maybe his coaches DID screw him up?! It's not like we haven't seen our fair share of poor coaches in Chicago underutilizing or poorly using the assets in their control (*cough* Shoop doing everything *cough* Turner sending Wolfe up the middle multiple times *cough*).

Interesting.

Based on your analysis, I think I agree.

Tack in the mindset of Smith, and guys like Url, Briggs, & Peppers...and it may be a good enough environment to give the young man a little kick in the ass...

He sure as hell plays faster than his 40 times. I think he could be one of the biggest steals of the draft if he ends up going in the 6th or 7th like most mocks seem to think. The guy has explosion towards the ball, hits like a ton of bricks, has great anticipation for snap-counts, is pretty sound in gap responsibility, is a fairly sure tackler (more of a hitter like Briggs), fights off blockers well, and simply makes plays.

The fact that he's immature and didn't prepare for the draft/combine should only be red flag warning, not a reason to ignore his production on the field. It wasn't too long ago he was an All-American and considered a first round pick. To be honest, the way he hits, acts, talks, and swaggers all over the place reminds me a lot of the characters on the 85 Bears team. I'd love to see the Bears use a 6th or 7th on a guy like him - it's not like those draft picks regularly amount to much anyway. And who knows...maybe his coaches DID screw him up?! It's not like we haven't seen our fair share of poor coaches in Chicago underutilizing or poorly using the assets in their control (*cough* Shoop doing everything *cough* Turner sending Wolfe up the middle multiple times *cough*).

I wouldn't mind blowing a 6th or 7th rounder on Burfict. But the guy is one of the bigger pieces of sh*t I've seen in college football. He is lazy and entitled. His best year, talent wise, was his freshman year.

So who knows if he would change his ways in the pros. I would lean towards in never becoming anything, but who knows. Maybe the kid gets it figured out.

Yeah, for those rounds and maybe even the 5th, I think the risk is well worth the potential return.

I wouldn't mind blowing a 6th or 7th rounder on Burfict. But the guy is one of the bigger pieces of sh*t I've seen in college football. He is lazy and entitled. His best year, talent wise, was his freshman year.

So who knows if he would change his ways in the pros. I would lean towards in never becoming anything, but who knows. Maybe the kid gets it figured out.

I don't know how many ASU football games you've watched but I've seen plenty and I've been watching Burfict on the field since he was a true freshman. Highlights are just that, highlights. I'm assuming they didn't include some of his many drive killing personal fouls, most often for late hits? I do agree he arrives like a ton of bricks and once he sees where the play is going he shows up but he is not anywhere close to being an instinctive player and read/react skills are very slow. I even went so far as to key in on him with slo mo replays using DVR this past season, he's just not that good but every now and then he makes a nice big hit.

Naturally the coach messed him, the same coach who helped Brock Osweiller become a likely second round pick. The same coach who has Omar Bolden as a solid late round pick even though he didn't play last year. Why is it only the coaches fault when the head case, Burfict, can't play the game intelligently? Why is it the coaches fault he runs so slow and couldn't get in shape for the combine? Around ASU and in the media here Burfict was widely mocked for his attitude toward his coaches.

I just don't see a reason for us to draft Burfict. He doesn't fit our scheme and he hasn't shown that he has learned anything from his college experience. I can't see how that attitude is going to translate to NFL success where far more game preparation and individual work ethic is needed to be successful. In the 6th or 7th rounds I prefer to find a guy with those traits, or at least one who has the athletic ability you look for. Burfict isn't offering either.

Funny how Burfict's name came up. I was just reading Mike Florio's article about him the other day. So far he hasn't gotten a single team to show interest in him at all. This guy needs an attitude adjustment.

Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict, whose propensity for losing his cool both on the field and off has replicated the view from the medal stand after an Olympic weightlifting event in the 1970s (work with me on this, folks), has had no private workouts and no team visits in advance of the draft, according to John Walters of The Daily.

Here's what his own coaches had to say about him.

Teams inclined to take a late-round flier on Burfict have plenty of reasons to look elsewhere. His high-school coach, Matt Logan, said of Burfict, “I am a little bit worried. I just don’t know if he’s listening to anybody right now.” Arizona State defensive coordinator Craig Bray has said any praise for Burfict’s skills is “all hype.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...-cold-shoulder/

Wouldn't be surprised to see his name not called on draft night. Everything about him is all trouble. Nobody seems to like him and he doesn't seem to care about taking his career seriously.

If your head aint staight when your in the limelight looking for a big contract, let someone else take a risk on him, there are plenty low valve LBs that were productive and be worthy of a chance. I have only seen him play in one game but AZ54 has more info than anyone on here, so I go with him. FORGET IT

If your head aint staight when your in the limelight looking for a big contract, let someone else take a risk on him, there are plenty low valve LBs that were productive and be worthy of a chance. I have only seen him play in one game but AZ54 has more info than anyone on here, so I go with him. FORGET IT

Nothing says, get your shit together like going in the 7th round. What have we got to lose? I definately don't want to see a 7th round OL or DL. Never know, he may hang out with Url and Briggs and decide he wants to be a big boy.

Here is how I would like it to go with realistic valve at each draft pick.

#1 Whitney Merculis/DE/Ill I think they like him a lot.

#2 Bobby Massie/LT/Ole Miss Best LT prospect on the board and has valve at this spot.

#3 A. J. Jenkins/WR/Ill Could turn into a #2 WR for us leaving Bennett at the slot position where he can excel.

#4 Jaye Howard/DT/Flo Has great potential with speed, just needs to find consistincy.

#5 Shawn Prater/CB/Iowa Fits best in the cover 2 scheme

#6 Terrell Manning/OLB/NCS Productive speed guy.

#7 Lance Mitchell/SS/Oregon Productive with some size.

My unrealistic draft(they wont be there when we draft them)

#1 Kuechly/LB/ BC a stud that will make any team better

#2 C. Jones/DE/Sary got some upside and is moving up to the first round

#3 J. Allen/OT/Ill could eventually become a starter

#4 Josh Norman/CB/CC tall cb with starter potential

#5 Jaye Howard/DT/Flo see above

#6 Ryan Broyles/WR/Olk caught passes, passes, passes

#7 Tavon Wilson/SS/Ill good size and consistent player.

Nothing says, get your shit together like going in the 7th round. What have we got to lose? I definately don't want to see a 7th round OL or DL. Never know, he may hang out with Url and Briggs and decide he wants to be a big boy.

This is exactly my thought process.

The Bears tell him they are his last chance. If they cut him, he's out of the league for good. If he doesn't pan out, easy to cut him. But if he controls is extra-curricular activities, he could be a player.

I don't know how many ASU football games you've watched but I've seen plenty and I've been watching Burfict on the field since he was a true freshman. Highlights are just that, highlights. I'm assuming they didn't include some of his many drive killing personal fouls, most often for late hits? I do agree he arrives like a ton of bricks and once he sees where the play is going he shows up but he is not anywhere close to being an instinctive player and read/react skills are very slow. I even went so far as to key in on him with slo mo replays using DVR this past season, he's just not that good but every now and then he makes a nice big hit.

Naturally the coach messed him, the same coach who helped Brock Osweiller become a likely second round pick. The same coach who has Omar Bolden as a solid late round pick even though he didn't play last year. Why is it only the coaches fault when the head case, Burfict, can't play the game intelligently? Why is it the coaches fault he runs so slow and couldn't get in shape for the combine? Around ASU and in the media here Burfict was widely mocked for his attitude toward his coaches.

I just don't see a reason for us to draft Burfict. He doesn't fit our scheme and he hasn't shown that he has learned anything from his college experience. I can't see how that attitude is going to translate to NFL success where far more game preparation and individual work ethic is needed to be successful. In the 6th or 7th rounds I prefer to find a guy with those traits, or at least one who has the athletic ability you look for. Burfict isn't offering either.

I have only watched a few, but when I did watch Burfict was a pretty decent player. Raw, but emotional. Big hitter, yet uncontrolled. The coaches aren't at fault for Burfict's poor draft prep, but they could easily be a contributing cause of on-field production. With the other players you have listed, you've essentially provided the Dez White paradox, where a less talented player gets on the field more, and produces more than a better player as a result of the coaches benefitting their favored player.

As for 6th and 7th round draft philosophy, we couldn't be anywhere near different. I couldn't care less about a guy that late who has the right attitude or has NFL-translatable skills (whatever that really means). There is a good chance a 6th/7th rounder isn't making the team anyway, so it's better to take gambles on those guys. Look for the guys with attitude problems but high motors, the guys who put up numbers but got arrested for drugs, the guys who were all-American one year but blew out an ACL the next. The way I see it, maybe 1 guy in 10 from those later rounds makes the team, and even then he's marginal at best. If you're already going in with a 10% success rate, you might as well shoot for the moon and get that one guy who has the potential to be an all-pro.

This is exactly my thought process.

The Bears tell him they are his last chance. If they cut him, he's out of the league for good. If he doesn't pan out, easy to cut him. But if he controls is extra-curricular activities, he could be a player.

I have only watched a few, but when I did watch Burfict was a pretty decent player. Raw, but emotional. Big hitter, yet uncontrolled. The coaches aren't at fault for Burfict's poor draft prep, but they could easily be a contributing cause of on-field production. With the other players you have listed, you've essentially provided the Dez White paradox, where a less talented player gets on the field more, and produces more than a better player as a result of the coaches benefitting their favored player.

As for 6th and 7th round draft philosophy, we couldn't be anywhere near different. I couldn't care less about a guy that late who has the right attitude or has NFL-translatable skills (whatever that really means). There is a good chance a 6th/7th rounder isn't making the team anyway, so it's better to take gambles on those guys. Look for the guys with attitude problems but high motors, the guys who put up numbers but got arrested for drugs, the guys who were all-American one year but blew out an ACL the next. The way I see it, maybe 1 guy in 10 from those later rounds makes the team, and even then he's marginal at best. If you're already going in with a 10% success rate, you might as well shoot for the moon and get that one guy who has the potential to be an all-pro.

I was a huge fan of Burfict his first couple years but he just hasn't developed. If he had looked like a better player on the field then I'd agree with you and we could put aside his poor conditioning at the time of the biggest job interview of his life. I just didn't see it last year at all. I didn't see the fight to get off blocks. I didn't see the hustle to get in on plays away from him, he'd run that way but not like you see Urlacher chasing down a play. No we're not losing much if we use our 7th Rd pick but I just don't see even a 10% chance Burfict gets his act together and makes the team. That's why I'd rather grab a guy who has that 10% chance. I do see him as a better fit as an ILB in a 3-4 defense and if a teams take a chance on him I expect that's their base defense. I could be wrong. At this point I really think he'll just be a UDFA and he will get a chance in someone's camp.

NFL skills really? From the master of Oline skills no less? ....Let's see you should be fast 4.4-4.6 forty if you are a WR, RB, CB, ...eh you get the idea. There is a certain amount of physical ability that is needed to compete at the NFL level be it strength, speed, quickness. If your skills don't fall into that window then you won't be there no matter how much you hustle, or how much heart or work ethic you have you will not play in this league. Right now I don't see Burficts skill set falling into that window. Ask Mike Haas about that, and he still holds the record for most receiving yards in a Pac 10 game among many other receiving records. Burfict might hold the ASU record for most 15 yards penalties in his career.

I was a huge fan of Burfict his first couple years but he just hasn't developed. If he had looked like a better player on the field then I'd agree with you and we could put aside his poor conditioning at the time of the biggest job interview of his life. I just didn't see it last year at all. I didn't see the fight to get off blocks. I didn't see the hustle to get in on plays away from him, he'd run that way but not like you see Urlacher chasing down a play. No we're not losing much if we use our 7th Rd pick but I just don't see even a 10% chance Burfict gets his act together and makes the team. That's why I'd rather grab a guy who has that 10% chance. I do see him as a better fit as an ILB in a 3-4 defense and if a teams take a chance on him I expect that's their base defense. I could be wrong. At this point I really think he'll just be a UDFA and he will get a chance in someone's camp.

NFL skills really? From the master of Oline skills no less? ....Let's see you should be fast 4.4-4.6 forty if you are a WR, RB, CB, ...eh you get the idea. There is a certain amount of physical ability that is needed to compete at the NFL level be it strength, speed, quickness. If your skills don't fall into that window then you won't be there no matter how much you hustle, or how much heart or work ethic you have you will not play in this league. Right now I don't see Burficts skill set falling into that window. Ask Mike Haas about that, and he still holds the record for most receiving yards in a Pac 10 game among many other receiving records. Burfict might hold the ASU record for most 15 yards penalties in his career.

I agree with you about Burfict's talent. He got progressively worse from his freshman year on.

But it wouldn't bother me to burn a late round pick on him, even though I dont think he amount to anything.

You know who I would like even better with a late rounder? Omar Boldin. I dont know where he is projected to go.

You could be right, but the fact that he was so good at first and then so average his last year, puts me a little on Burfict's side rather than being 50/50 with the coaches. That was a team supposed to do great things, and they all did poorly. They underperformed for the talent they had. That reeks of poor coaching.

Points of agreement:

-Better 3-4 ILB prospect than 4-3

In regards to the OL vs. LB comment, I don't view this through a single lens. Evaluation is a prism, and I believe a LB can be much less talented than many other positions and still be quite a big success. LBs, particularly inside LBs, can get by on toughness, the ability to read angles, the ability to anticipate, and being very sound tacklers. Call the package "football instincts." The history of the league is littered with guys who didn't have the measurables yet did well in the NFL at LB. Hell, if you go to google and type "NFL Undersized" the first thing it tries to fill in is linebacker. Funny you mention Haas though, because I still contend he should be in the league.