Bears sign Geno Hayes

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Here's what my friend just e-mailed me on Hayes...

"I liked Hayes a lot. He's fast and hits hard. Better in coverage than the run. A big part of his problem was being out of position. But he never really had a mentor, or good linebacker coach to teach him, he was kinda thrown into the Derrick brooks role without any experience, or having Derrick to teach him."

I think that bodes well for what we need...

Here's what my friend just e-mailed me on Hayes...

"I liked Hayes a lot. He's fast and hits hard. Better in coverage than the run. A big part of his problem was being out of position. But he never really had a mentor, or good linebacker coach to teach him, he was kinda thrown into the Derrick brooks role without any experience, or having Derrick to teach him."

I think that bodes well for what we need...

Not sure what it is but for some reason I keep thinking about Safety (possible MLB) Taylor Mays the Bears were looking at a year or two ago. I remember you and I both thinking that would have been a good pick up. I have the same "feel good" about this acquisition.

Not sure what it is but for some reason I keep thinking about Safety (possible MLB) Taylor Mays the Bears were looking at a year or two ago. I remember you and I both thinking that would have been a good pick up. I have the same "feel good" about this acquisition.

We wont be asking him to start, and with him being a 3 year starter for the Bucs, maybe he has the chance to be better than Roach, we wont know until training camp, but one thing for sure, he can add more than the other backups we had last year.

I follow...

Another TB friend (yeah, I know...it's wierd that so many folks in CA like the Bucs!) said glowing things about Geno. Said that Morris didn't do enough to prep him. That under Kiffin, he was thriving, once the coaching changed, and lack of good people around him, he started to slip. He thinks w/ Marinelli, the scheme, and Url and Briggs supporting him, he could be a steal.

I simply like what I'm hearing...

Its kind of weird to have actual veteran depth, instead of 7th rounders and UFA's.

Agreed. Although we still of plenty of areas we need to fill. We are still very thin at safety, DT, DE, TE, WR, and the o-line. We also have questionable starters at TE and CB. But you can't have everything.

More importantly, this team is one helluva a lot better than it was when free agency started. The only player of significance we lost IMO was Okoye. Graham was nice on special teams, but we replaced him with what we hope are better options.

All this depth gives us more flexibility for the draft.

Agreed. Although we still of plenty of areas we need to fill. We are still very thin at safety, DT, DE, TE, WR, and the o-line. We also have questionable starters at TE and CB. But you can't have everything.

More importantly, this team is one helluva a lot better than it was when free agency started. The only player of significance we lost IMO was Okoye. Graham was nice on special teams, but we replaced him with what we hope are better options.

All this depth gives us more flexibility for the draft.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we get Forte finally signed to a long term contract before the draft. It sure would make things sweet. I also would not be surprised if there was another FA addition before the draft. Players that are FA are coming down in their asking price.

From all I read about hayes he has the talent to surpass Roach. If he is that much better then our 3 will be better then most. We need a good coverage LB. With his skills he wont be removed on 3rd downs right away. It will boad well for schemes.

The SLB comes off when we go to the nickel package, so I doubt if that changes.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we get Forte finally signed to a long term contract before the draft. It sure would make things sweet. I also would not be surprised if there was another FA addition before the draft. Players that are FA are coming down in their asking price.

Agreed about another FA signing. Hayes couldn't have been happy about signing for the minimum to compete for the grunt linebacker spot. He was desperate to sign before the draft.

I'd be happy to see us ink Forte, but I'm not that worried about him.

Agreed about another FA signing. Hayes couldn't have been happy about signing for the minimum to compete for the grunt linebacker spot. He was desperate to sign before the draft.

I'd be happy to see us ink Forte, but I'm not that worried about him.

There are still a few safeties out there, I would think with the weak draft at that position, we might get a FA.