Would You Consider Trading Hester?

dawhizz

I certainly appreciate everything that Hester has done for this team - he's been the only aspect of this team I am consistently excited about. However, given the league changes that minimize the impacts of a returner, the Bears' apparent dissatisfaction with him as a WR (evidenced by the additions of Thomas and Weems, their focus on top WR prospects, and that he had his lowest receptions since his rookie year last year), and the fact that his contract is up in 2013, would you consider trading Hester if the right deal came along? I'm not sure what that would be (3rd round pick maybe?), I just look at the way last season andthis offseason has unfolded, and wonder how expendable he is.

It's all about what we could get for him, and I honestly don't feel we'd get enough at this point in his career. A 3rd to me is not worth it.

I certainly appreciate everything that Hester has done for this team - he's been the only aspect of this team I am consistently excited about. However, given the league changes that minimize the impacts of a returner, the Bears' apparent dissatisfaction with him as a WR (evidenced by the additions of Thomas and Weems, their focus on top WR prospects, and that he had his lowest receptions since his rookie year last year), and the fact that his contract is up in 2013, would you consider trading Hester if the right deal came along? I'm not sure what that would be (3rd round pick maybe?), I just look at the way last season andthis offseason has unfolded, and wonder how expendable he is.

They may have changed the rules for kick-offs, but Hester has always been a better punt returner than a KO guy, IMO, and nothing has changed there. Every player is "tradeable" for the right price, but it would have to be a very sweet deal!

The Bears would be very unlikely to get the kind of contributions next year from a 3rd round pick that they could get from a healthy Hester. I'd say the same about a second round pick.

The only reason I'd consider anything like that is if I thought he would not be healthy again, that the injuries he started having last year would really start compounding on him and dramatically weaken his game.

They should've traded him after the 2007 season, like I've said since then.

No way. Still the best return man in the NFL, and the best in history. Dude has returned six kicks the past two years. He's too much of a threat, too good of a weapon, and he's already a legend. The problem with Hester is that he doesn't get the ball enough.

No way. Still the best return man in the NFL, and the best in history. Dude has returned six kicks the past two years. He's too much of a threat, too good of a weapon, and he's already a legend. The problem with Hester is that he doesn't get the ball enough.

We would never get a good enough draft pick to make it worth it.

WHY????? Literally many of my happiest memories as a Bear fan have been since he joined the team. He's made the difference between winning and losing in multiple games. He's a likely future hall of famer and he's still in his prime. No way we trade him.

Early in his career, before he proved he couldn't really contribute as a WR, we could've gotten a high enough pick to justify trading him. Now with his salary basically requiring a contribution as a WR, his diminishing output and the rule changes in the NFL, we wouldn't even get a 3rd for him. So, no, I think we hang in there with the guy, see if he can develop as a slot receiver this year and hope for more fireworks on ST. To me, as a fan, his presence on the field still adds more thrill to the game than anything a late round draft pick would bring. I hope he continues to produce on ST and eventually retires a Bear, with all the records.

PS. I don't think Hester has much upstairs. So, with a new offense this year, and all the learning it will entail, I don't see him producing much on O. I hope I'm wrong but if I'm not and that's obvious in camp, they should cut their losses ASAP and just use him as a return man. Get his focus back on what he does well and we might just see him light it up again.