Vontaze Burfict

jason

Some hate him, some love him, I think he could be a late round steal. ESPN has a new article on him that might change minds.

I read the article. If we think he has an upside, I have problem with using our 6th round pick on him. It's worth the gamble. Course I'm a bit cynical since under JA we'd just spend that pick on a bad QB or a bad safety.

Nice story but,I'm still skeptical about his play on the field in the heat of battle. The introverted part of his personality bothers me also and the fact that the incident about his teammate and friend points to a lack of grief counseling for situations like that allows it to stick with him. The personal fouls is a big problem and with the league on high alert this might be a player that you draft and do the" red shirt" thing to make him understand what it is to be a professional player. I can't believe that some of the defense wants to baby sit any rookies when they see their window of opportunity closing soon.

Nice story but,I'm still skeptical about his play on the field in the heat of battle. The introverted part of his personality bothers me also and the fact that the incident about his teammate and friend points to a lack of grief counseling for situations like that allows it to stick with him. The personal fouls is a big problem and with the league on high alert this might be a player that you draft and do the" red shirt" thing to make him understand what it is to be a professional player. I can't believe that some of the defense wants to baby sit any rookies when they see their window of opportunity closing soon.

I just think we can use that spot for someone with some upside that wont cause you to work so hard at trying to make him normal. He is an angry pud, not smart but he hits hard, big deal.

I've never heard anything bad about Burfict off the field but I still don't see him as a good fit in our scheme. I honestly expected him to run somewhere in the 4.6 range and he's nowhere close to that. Could he get faster? Maybe but I never really saw that much speed from him on the field. I don't think he's necessarily a dirty player as much as he is just not a smart player. I don't see how that translates into good play in the NFL. He's still a UDFA option for the Bears IMO and I'd put my late round picks elsewhere as Emery said on guys who have the measurables but might need some more time to develop the football smarts.

I've never heard anything bad about Burfict off the field but I still don't see him as a good fit in our scheme. I honestly expected him to run somewhere in the 4.6 range and he's nowhere close to that. Could he get faster? Maybe but I never really saw that much speed from him on the field. I don't think he's necessarily a dirty player as much as he is just not a smart player. I don't see how that translates into good play in the NFL. He's still a UDFA option for the Bears IMO and I'd put my late round picks elsewhere as Emery said on guys who have the measurables but might need some more time to develop the football smarts.

I could be mistaken, but didn't he already improve upon his comine time and run a 4.8?

He tested positive for Mary Jane at the combine............. pass

So he's stupid, and uses MJ...how is that different than many other players in the league?

This just in, there are guys in the league who get single digits on the Wonderlic - a test so simple the average high school freshman would ace. Hell, Dexter Manley was illiterate! Also, I'm sure there are tons of guys in the NFL who use marijuana.

So he's stupid, and uses MJ...how is that different than many other players in the league?

This just in, there are guys in the league who get single digits on the Wonderlic - a test so simple the average high school freshman would ace. Hell, Dexter Manley was illiterate! Also, I'm sure there are tons of guys in the NFL who use marijuana.

Agreed, but that just one more nail in the coffin. He already pushed himself into the late rounds with all of his crap, and the failed drug test is just icing on the top of the failure cake.

I just think we can use that spot for someone with some upside that wont cause you to work so hard at trying to make him normal. He is an angry pud, not smart but he hits hard, big deal.

To be honest Olin Kreutz had anger management issues coming into the league and aside from the Fred Miller incident and a few dumb personal foul penalties,seemed to control his temper for most of his career.

Agreed, but that just one more nail in the coffin. He already pushed himself into the late rounds with all of his crap, and the failed drug test is just icing on the top of the failure cake.

Understood. MJ+Person Fouls+slow combine+throwing coach under the bus=RED FLAG.

Having said that, I would still put a 6th or 7th towards him, hoping he gets his head out of his ass. He's definitely got talent greater than someone drafted that late. Having said that, I'd take a bunch of Mike Brown types - guys without the measurables but have great minds and football instincts - every day of the week.

Understood. MJ+Person Fouls+slow combine+throwing coach under the bus=RED FLAG.

Having said that, I would still put a 6th or 7th towards him, hoping he gets his head out of his ass. He's definitely got talent greater than someone drafted that late. Having said that, I'd take a bunch of Mike Brown types - guys without the measurables but have great minds and football instincts - every day of the week.

And I actually agree with possibly using a 7th on him. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

But, Emery has been on record saying the late round picks are ones to used on some kids with "tools" which I take to mean guys who are raw or from smaller school, with the measurables to make it in the NFL.

We will see. I'm actually excited because we have no idea how he will draft, which is alot better than most people being able to pick JA's crappy drafts.

• 6 months later...