Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

Pixote

I am hearing several, including Mayock who I respect more than most analysts, rave about this guy and have the Bears elated he "falls" to them. He was a late riser on the draft boards from what I can tell which always make me a little nervous. Seems like those guys tend to bust. Any of you guys watch this guy play? Is he the real deal? Should I be keeping my fingers crossed that we get him or should I be praying someone else gets him off the board before the Bears pick?

He's a more complete DE than most everybody in the draft IMO. Plays the run and pass well. Has the frame to put on size too, which is a plus. Guys like Mercilus don't really have that luxury. This guys got a pretty good blood line as well. One of his brothers plays in the NFL and the other is "Bones" Jones, the UFC fighter. Just found that out yesterday, haha. I'm not really honed in on one particular DE because I really don't see one guy being drastically superior over the other one. I just hope it's not Shea McClellin, aka Dan Bazuin part II in a 4/3 system. That's what I fear.

Guest TerraTor
He's a more complete DE than most everybody in the draft IMO. Plays the run and pass well. Has the frame to put on size too, which is a plus. Guys like Mercilus don't really have that luxury. This guys got a pretty good blood line as well. One of his brothers plays in the NFL and the other is "Bones" Jones, the UFC fighter. Just found that out yesterday, haha. I'm not really honed in on one particular DE because I really don't see one guy being drastically superior over the other one. I just hope it's not Shea McClellin, aka Dan Bazuin part II in a 4/3 system. That's what I fear.

agree completely. I like Jones and Perry.... If i had to choose, Id go Perry

The only thing about him that causes concern is he is coming off of an injury season, and we have did that to much in the past, and it hasnt panned out.

The only thing about him that causes concern is he is coming off of an injury season, and we have did that to much in the past, and it hasnt panned out.

Jones looks like Leonard Little in my view, which is good.

I had my heart set on a LT, but the more I hear it just isn't worth taking an OT at 19 as there probably won't be great value there.

Regardless....they really need to develop a LT. I believe they're bluffing everyone with their want at DE and believe they'll deal up/down to take a T.

He can play the run and pass, but does not excel in either. He's brothers are both athletes, but Aurthur rides the bench in Baltimore, and had arguably a better college career.

He could be great, I'm just a little skeptical when I guy was considered a second or third round pick for months and suddenly a week before the draft Mayock makes him a top 10 player.

He can play the run and pass, but does not excel in either. He's brothers are both athletes, but Aurthur rides the bench in Baltimore, and had arguably a better college career.

He could be great, I'm just a little skeptical when I guy was considered a second or third round pick for months and suddenly a week before the draft Mayock makes him a top 10 player.

And that is what bothers me, the "late riser". In addition, his knee injury I am reading about in 2011.

Do late risers tend to have a good or bad history in the NFL?

Damn good quesiton. Without having the data, my guess is the success of late risers is comparable to other players drafted. Chris Conte was a late riser and he looks pretty good so far. i'm trying to think of other examples the Bears have taken on players who were late risers. Who was the defensive lineman I'm thinking we too in the 90's who looked great at the combine, was taken around #10, he was real bad and wound up in a mental institution? I could google it but I know somebody knows . . . it's right on the tip of my damn tounge.

Damn good quesiton. Without having the data, my guess is the success of late risers is comparable to other players drafted. Chris Conte was a late riser and he looks pretty good so far. i'm trying to think of other examples the Bears have taken on players who were late risers. Who was the defensive lineman I'm thinking we too in the 90's who looked great at the combine, was taken around #10, he was real bad and wound up in a mental institution? I could google it but I know somebody knows . . . it's right on the tip of my damn tounge.

Alonzo Spellman was the guy I was thinking of. He was drafted #22. Looking at his stats, he was nearly as bad as I remember him being.

The real question should be Jones versus Perry who was coached by Monte Kiffin and is a Cover 2 coach. Jones Is Projected to be a scheme fit if he puts on the weight and gets coached up by Marinelli. The other consensus pick is Mercilus who falls into the Jason Pierre-Paul category as a one year wonder with only 16 career tackles before last season and then he leads the nation in sacks. JPP turned out well but some of the USC DEs have not translated well in the NFL even if they were coached by Pete Carroll. Remember how much buzz was out there for Kenechi Udeze who on the field never real played to his hype and wound up leaving the league because of a serious illness.

The biggest knock on Jones is durabilty when he missed the first 5 games of the season due to a knee injury suffered in the opening game. I too am skeptical of the fast risers but when Mayock who during the college season is the color analyst on Notre Dame games tells me he is dialed in year round and has enough contacts that would justify his opinion.

In the last 4 years... We have drafted not one but two Ot in the 1st... Its stupidity to get another one....

Yeah well those two OTs.....one flopped at T and has been moved inside to G and the other had season ending surgery last year....twice.

The other Tackles on the team are Webb and Louis (who is a G)....

It would be stupidity not to address this area at some point in this draft.