Shea McClellin - DE - Boise S

DABEARSDABOMB

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

04/23/12 - Bears general manager Phil Emery acknowledged several ends near the top of the board are versatile players that could fit multiple defenses. “There’s a good number of them at the top that you could look at those players and say they could fit a 3-4 or they could fit a 4-3,” Emery said Monday at his pre-draft press conference. “Having just come from Kansas City where they’re one of the last true 3-4 heads-up, plays square, outside linebackers are the drops and rush guys, I had already looked at those players for a 3-4 scheme as outside linebackers and coming here now I’m looking at them as D-ends and right D-ends, base ends. There are a good number of the high end guys that can go both ways. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder because ultimately each individual team has got to decide which is right for them. You’ll find where the guys that are outside linebacker candidates, you have to make a decision for a 4-3 and whether that’s a true right D-end athlete or he’s a base left D-end." McClellin had 16½ sacks over the last two seasons at Boise State. He was a first team All-Mountain West Conference selection for the Broncos, who have had six players drafted over the last three seasons. Interestingly, the Minnesota Vikingscoaching staff used McClellin primarily at strong-side linebacker during the Senior Bowl week. They obviously use the same defense as the Bears. McClellin weighed in at 257 pounds last month at his pro day, and played a little heavier during the season. “I kind of try to steer away from what other people are saying because it’s only one person’s opinion,” McClellin told the Idaho Statesman about the pre-draft hype. “I’m not expecting myself to get picked in the first round. - Brad Biggs, The Chicago Tribune

I didn't see this the other day, but I just found it on McClellin's profile: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...&genpos=OLB

Guest TerraTor
Omg...Emery is talking about our 1st round picks ability to play ST's. Seriously, what the freak is that a consideration for. Lions get a good tackle in Reiff.

we signed 9 special teamers in Free Agency too, no starters

Did most have him in the 2nd? I know he was quoted as saying he didn't expect to be a 1st round pick. That said, why else would he have physically been in the audience?

It was mostly late first/ early 2nd. Most had the Pats taking him. I'm very wait and see on this. I was intrigued by Jones who the Pats picked.

Horrible pick.

Problems:

He's not strong

He's not a true DE

He's not a true OLB

The Bears don't play 3-4

Concussion history

Reiff still on the board

Decastro still on the board

Mercilus still on the board

Overall there were better players at bigger positions of need.

Nice analysis. There were a bunch of guys I'd have been thrilled with. He was not one.

Guest TerraTor
Bush starts on most teams. Brandon Marshall is a starter too, plus we signed a guy that is probably going to start at LB (and quite possibly a CB as well).

who at LB? Deconsta or whatever... he sucks

Zach Zaidman ‏ @ZachZaidman Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Emery: "There's a lot of versatility to this player."

1m Sean Jensen ‏ @seankjensen Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

#Bears GM Phil Emery on McClellin: "Quick feet, and hands. Natural hips, as a pass rusher."

1m Bears Insider ‏ @bears_insider Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

#Bears GM Phil Emery: "He's got really quick feet and hands as a pass rusher. He has natural hips as a pass rusher."

1m Brad Biggs ‏ @BradBiggs Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Emery says McClellin will be a 3-down player on defens, quick feet, very athletic

2m Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Lots of booing here at this bar in Indy with the Patriots pick coming ... And officially, it's Chandler Jones.

1m Zach Zaidman ‏ @ZachZaidman Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Emery: "This is a 4-down player."

1m ChicagoBears.com ‏ @ChicagoBearscom Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Emery: "This is a four-down player."

2m Jeff Dickerson ‏ @ESPNChiBears Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Phil Emery on the pick of McClellin: "Helped fill a need for us as a pass rusher."

2m NFL Network ‏ @nflnetwork Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

RD1 – PK21 - @patriots: C Jones (DE - Syracuse) http://bit.ly/I41FuM #NFLDRAFT

2m Bears Insider ‏ @bears_insider Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

#Bears GM Phil Emery at Halas Hall. "We're very excited about Shea in terms of his all-downs ability... including special teams."

And just for the record, if he ends up doing well and getting 10 sacks as a situational pass-rusher, it's still not a smart pick. It's Mark Anderson 2.0. It's still a LB who they send after the QB instead of a DE, a player they could have drafted if that's what they actually wanted. It's adding to a position of strength (LB) when there are several similarly or higher rated players available at positions of need.

Zach Zaidman ‏ @ZachZaidman Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Emery says Bears got lucky because McClellin was used as a LB in Senior Bowl

2m Bears Insider ‏ @bears_insider Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

#Bears GM Phil Emery says he was happy Shea McClellin played OLB at Senior Bowl. That way, not as many people saw him as a pass rusher.

One thing to consider is a lot of people had the Packers looking heavily at him. If Ted Thompson was interested...that is a good sign.

And just for the record, if he ends up doing well and getting 10 sacks as a situational pass-rusher, it's still not a smart pick. It's Mark Anderson 2.0. It's still a LB who they send after the QB instead of a DE, a player they could have drafted if that's what they actually wanted. It's adding to a position of strength (LB) when there are several similarly or higher rated players available at positions of need.

Bears drafted him as an end and Emery thinks he's a 3 down player. They weren't adding a LB, they are adding a DE. We might not agree with the pick but the Bears are picking him cause they think he's an every down DE who can be explosive.

Bears drafted him as an end and Emery thinks he's a 3 down player. They weren't adding a LB, they are adding a DE. We might not agree with the pick but the Bears are picking him cause they think he's an every down DE who can be explosive.

That's what they're saying, and that's what I hope, but I don't see it. He's too small and weak to be an every down DE. That's why everyone said he fits as a 3-4 guy, not a 4-3 guy.

Sorry to say. First reaction Puked.

Thought about it.... Only thing that makes sense is....... Nothing makes sense.