Bears Draft So Far

lemonej

Regardless of what we feel about the 3 picks there is one intangible to add to this mix and that is the Marshal trade.

1st Rd DE/OLB Not necessarily a scheme fit but this kid may force the Bears to diversify their scheme more.

2nd Rd WR Emery seems to like big physical WRs and gets himself one here and gives Cutler another weapon for his 29th B-day.

3rd Rd WR/SS Jay gets an engagement gift and Lovie gets his annual safety. The trade has to be included in this round of the draft since this was the result of the first 3rd rd pick via Carolina for Greg Olsen.

BTW unless Idonije is going back to DT(I wouldn't be surprised by that) McClellin is not a 4 down player.

Guest TerraTor
Regardless of what we feel about the 3 picks there is one intangible to add to this mix and that is the Marshal trade.

1st Rd DE/OLB Not necessarily a scheme fit but this kid may force the Bears to diversify their scheme more.

2nd Rd WR Emery seems to like big physical WRs and gets himself one here and gives Cutler another weapon for his 29th B-day.

3rd Rd WR/SS Jay gets an engagement gift and Lovie gets his annual safety. The trade has to be included in this round of the draft since this was the result of the first 3rd rd pick via Carolina for Greg Olsen.

BTW unless Idonije is going back to DT(I wouldn't be surprised by that) McClellin is not a 4 down player.

In all honesty, if it wasnt for Jeffry this is the worst draft in quite a while.... the third pick was just god awful

In all honesty, if it wasnt for Jeffry this is the worst draft in quite a while.... the third pick was just god awful

This seems like a boom or bust draft for Emery so far. 2 picks not so popular, but they have very high potential. If Hardin plays his senior year like he did in 2010, he is probably a 2nd round pick and 2nd Safety taken. He looks completely healed from his shoulder injury doing 24 reps on bench (more than any other Safety at the combine). So this could be a reach or a very sly pick by Emery. Only time will tell.

The reason I dislike the Hardin pick so much is because of the injury history. How many times do the Bears have to get bit by this before they realize that drafting injury prone players in college usually results in being injury prone in the NFL? It's not like they are going to get any healthier playing professionally. The kid seems talented based on his measurables and he's built like a tank. I think this was a major reach for a guy that didn't even play his senior season and has been hurt 3 out of 4 years he's played in college.

I can't say I'm overly thrilled with the draft so far, but one thing we have seen that has been missing in recent years is SIZE. Justin Gage is the only WR I can remember in the last decade with Jeffrey's size (unless you count Marcus Monk, and I don't) and with all the safeties we have seen the Bears draft, I don't remember seeing one much over 6'0".

Well I guess that blew Most on this forum away.

IMHO this was a pick to keep pace with the Packers and Lions. When was the last time we had a 6'3 222ld saftey running a 4.4? This can help when Johnson goes deep. Now keep in mind..this guy also played CB on his team. So we got a two for one sale.

IMHO this was a pick to keep pace with the Packers and Lions. When was the last time we had a 6'3 222ld saftey running a 4.4? This can help when Johnson goes deep. Now keep in mind..this guy also played CB on his team. So we got a two for one sale.

The problem with that thought is that he has been described as not being a deep middle type safety and is more of a thumper. This pick IMO is another attempt to get a John Lynch,Brian Dawkins and Bob Sanders type hitter on the field as well as depth forthe position as Conte ended the season on IR and Wright is a training room regular.

Every year its the same old whining and crying after the draft because we didn't take this player or that player. I start reading mocks in August and have hope built up come April, then feel deflated after we take a name I'm not familiar with like McClellin or Hardin.

I remember last year after the Conte pick there was a lot of it, well he contributed very well and he was a 3rd RD pick? That's pretty good and he is now looking to be a starter come 2012. Lets ease up on the whining and find hope for the guys we have. The positions we drafted were very well known needs and I think we have 3 starters already. So instead of wasting energy on hate, sip some kool-aid!

Every year its the same old whining and crying after the draft because we didn't take this player or that player. I start reading mocks in August and have hope built up come April, then feel deflated after we take a name I'm not familiar with like McClellin or Hardin.

I remember last year after the Conte pick there was a lot of it, well he contributed very well and he was a 3rd RD pick? That's pretty good and he is now looking to be a starter come 2012. Lets ease up on the whining and find hope for the guys we have. The positions we drafted were very well known needs and I think we have 3 starters already. So instead of wasting energy on hate, sip some kool-aid!

I don't know if your post was in general or directed to me but as posters and fans we do have the right to disagree with what moves the team makes. I too do extensive research on draft prospects every year looking at top 100 rankings in August also. So if I make a comment it usually is based on my research not emotion.

I don't know if your post was in general or directed to me but as posters and fans we do have the right to disagree with what moves the team makes. I too do extensive research on draft prospects every year looking at top 100 rankings in August also. So if I make a comment it usually is based on my research not emotion.

I would not have picked any of these players, but then I am a plumber and my job is not on the line. He is filling areas of need and throwing it all on his shoulders with these picks. I have to give him cudos for not picking who I want. In two years this draft wont be a conversation, it will be the next draft, and we will know what kind of GM we have. I am a Bears fan first and foremost so I want everybody we picked to be good players, so Im on the bandwagon till proven otherwise. Nobody on this blog is a GM by trade so whine if you want, or praise, just remember it doesnt matter, you should only want everybody to be successful.

It's not directed towards one person, it's everything I read, hear on the radio etc. Like I said, I was deflated myself after I heard McClellin and I even said after Hardin another freaking safety in the 3rd RD? Myself personally had different ideas on who I would've taken. Now I'm reading more about these guys and think they can be huge contributors next season.

It's not directed towards one person, it's everything I read, hear on the radio etc. Like I said, I was deflated myself after I heard McClellin and I even said after Hardin another freaking safety in the 3rd RD? Myself personally had different ideas on who I would've taken. Now I'm reading more about these guys and think they can be huge contributors next season.

I think all of our picks have some risks, but like you, the more I read, the more I get on board for the moment.

Agreed and sometimes(directing this to myself) knowing too much info can be detrimental when it comes to these prospects. I keep telling myself to wait and see how these guys will do. Arm chair GMs are never satisfied and never get fired.LOL

Great point.

Our secondary were a gang of smurfs when JA was picking. Every guy so far drafted is tall. McClellin isn't super tall, but basically it appears Emery likes size and some speed, not just speed.

I like this apparent trend.

You do realize that most of the time the whining and crying has turned out to be justified, right? The Bears have hit on a few picks that fans weren't initially on board with, but most of the picks the fans have hated have turned out to be busts. There is a long history of ineptitude with this team, with their drafting of d-linemen and safeties being a recurrent problem. We seem to draft more safeties and defensive linemen than any other position, yet we have no difference-making home-drafted defensive players to show for it.

I HOPE McClellan and Hardin turn out to be studs. I don't HATE the picks, and it's certainly conceivable they could succeed.. But I'm not confident in them. I hope McClellan is the next Kampman and Hardin is the next Bob Sanders. But I'd be more surprised if they were than if they weren't.

Guest TerraTor
You do realize that most of the time the whining and crying has turned out to be justified, right? The Bears have hit on a few picks that fans weren't initially on board with, but most of the picks the fans have hated have turned out to be busts. There is a long history of ineptitude with this team, with their drafting of d-linemen and safeties being a recurrent problem. We seem to draft more safeties and defensive linemen than any other position, yet we have no difference-making home-drafted defensive players to show for it.

I HOPE McClellan and Hardin turn out to be studs. I don't HATE the picks, and it's certainly conceivable they could succeed.. But I'm not confident in them. I hope McClellan is the next Kampman and Hardin is the next Bob Sanders. But I'd be more surprised if they were than if they weren't.

Bob Sanders.... ha!

I think we had a lot to whine and cry about because JA was doing the drafting, since we have a new guy, lets give him a shot and whine and cry if we dont like the results. As far as FAgency, I give him a good grade, so I will wait and see on the drafted players turn out.

When he was hired Emery said "it's a big man's game". Aside from Weems he has done nothing but back up his words in FA and the draft. I'm not sure what to make of this pick. Had we grabbed him in the 4th I'd be happy but in the 3rd I felt some DT help would have better served us.

One thing that comes to mind with this guy is that we no longer have to use our NB (5'9" Moore) against TEs who split out wide. Some teams like NE are trying to do this more with tweener TEs who can't block lineman or bigger LBs but cause mismatches against nickel DBs in run support, or cause a mismatch against LB in pass coverage. Coby Fleener anyone? With Hardin's size and athleticism we can go with what I'll call a "heavy nickel" ( we did this in the past with 3 safeties on the field) and match up better for either run or pass.