How about Tommie Harris?

Stinger226

Pompei wrote an article in the trib stating about bringing back Harris as a rotation guy.Since we are short at the position, someone to give you 10 to 15 snaps a game, may not be a bad idea. He had 10 hurries and 3 sacks in a part time role.

The problem is Harris cannot do any more than that so if someone gets injured you are in a bad spot. I see the Bears waiting this one out before calling Harris. Or if they do sign him they will still be looking to replace him if some vets get cut this summer.

The problem is Harris cannot do any more than that so if someone gets injured you are in a bad spot. I see the Bears waiting this one out before calling Harris. Or if they do sign him they will still be looking to replace him if some vets get cut this summer.

If we can find other options, I am all for it, but where? Are we better off going with a young guy? Miller?

If we can find other options, I am all for it, but where? Are we better off going with a young guy? Miller?

At this point, I really get the impression the Bears are willing to let it ride into TC on the young guys they have in the middle of their line, which I assume means they're expecting a big "You can't take me off the field" performance from Paea.

Idonijie probably is sitting as the "Everybody gets hurt backup DT" right now, honestly.

I agree. (I can almost sense Jason is about to bring up TO again...)

:D I'll avoid it for now, but somehow the "vet minimum"+"roster bonus" idea seems valid to for nearly every other player and every other position. :rolleyes:

I wonder if they won't move Wootton to DT to solve the problem. He's got the size of an undersized tackle in our system, and with the addition of McClellin and Chauncey Davis last year, you have 4 usable ends to rotate with Idonije and Pepper.

I wonder if they won't move Wootton to DT to solve the problem. He's got the size of an undersized tackle in our system, and with the addition of McClellin and Chauncey Davis last year, you have 4 usable ends to rotate with Idonije and Pepper.

I would say they move Idonije inside when McClellin is on the field, maybe as a possible option.

I would say they move Idonije inside when McClellin is on the field, maybe as a possible option.

If they think both Idonijie and Wooten could play DT in a pinch, that could be a reason why they'd be willing to sacrifice "injury prevention depth" at that position going in to the season and apply that depth elsewhere. (presumably if you were facing having long term injuries out there, you'd make a move midseason to bring in someone to improve that situation, but in the event of a 1-2 game injury or even a 2nd half injury, having 2 guys who can shift over and give the occasional snap could be all they're looking for).

If Wooten could stay healthy and start to produce all of a sudden the Bears have gotten youthful at DE and can entertain the thoughts of moving Izzy inside for the year.He has only signed a 1year deal so that could be an option. I don't consider Davis much of an option at age 29 and not much production last year.When you look at the Bears roster on the official site there are 2 players listed as DL ant the rest are either DT or DE and that is Melton and Idonije. In a " Kool-aid " fantasy world a DL on 3rd and long featuring Wooten, Peppers, Melton and McClellin wrecking havoc on opposing offenses would be nice and yes I do expect them to continue to use Peppers inside like last season.

Wootton is listed at 6-6 270. Our typical DT weighs around 300 pounds. That means we'd need Wootton to gain 30 pounds.

What we really need to happen is for Wootton to outplay Idonije and win the RDE position. Despite what they say, I only expect to see McClellen on nickel downs.

Except we typically carry 5 DT's. Last year it was Paea, Melton, Okoye, Adams and Toeneia. The previous year it was Harris, Melton, Adams, Toeneia and Marcus Harrison.

We could easily add Tommie Harris as a nickel down tackle and add one player.

Wootton is listed at 6-6 270. Our typical DT weighs around 300 pounds. That means we'd need Wootton to gain 30 pounds.

What we really need to happen is for Wootton to outplay Idonije and win the RDE position. Despite what they say, I only expect to see McClellen on nickel downs.

That is spot on! If they can get him off the training table and get him to where he was as a junior at Northwestern when he was a beast,we may have something. Wooten gaining weight on bad kness doesn't sound like a good idea.

That is spot on! If they can get him off the training table and get him to where he was as a junior at Northwestern when he was a beast,we may have something. Wooten gaining weight on bad kness doesn't sound like a good idea.

I think if they move anybody inside, it will be Ildonije, ;he has played there before. There will be another round of vets. dropped at the start of training camp with all the new players on the teams and hopefully we can grab a vet to fill the DT rotation. They talked about Paea playing both DT positions, so maybe they bring back Adams. Just a thought.