Offensive Line rankings

Stinger226

Rotoworld has us ranked 29th among Oline going into 2012.

Profootbalfocus has us ranked 31st amony Olines going into 2012.

Football Outsiders has us ranked 24th.

At least I see the national ranking follow our expectations on this website.

I can see us being better, but the LT spot will still be a problem. I think we run a lot of 2 TE formation to help on the line blocking, and quick patterns, but I still remain worried the Oline can have a major negative effect on our Offensive production.

As Lennon & McCartney would say... Things can only look better, they can't look much worse!

Rotoworld has us ranked 29th among Oline going into 2012.

Profootbalfocus has us ranked 31st amony Olines going into 2012.

Football Outsiders has us ranked 24th.

At least I see the national ranking follow our expectations on this website.

I can see us being better, but the LT spot will still be a problem. I think we run a lot of 2 TE formation to help on the line blocking, and quick patterns, but I still remain worried the Oline can have a major negative effect on our Offensive production.

I'm not surprised. We have done nothing substantial to bolster the talent.

What we have done that the media does not see: Got rid of Martz, traded for Marshall, drafted Jeffrey, identified remdies to enhance our weakenesses, have a full offseason to work and got Williams and Carimi back.

That being said, my confidence is iffy due to the following reasons: Tice has given me no reason to have faith in him yet and Williams and Carimi have not proven they can stay on the field. The things I like are continuity, Martz is gone, Marshall will be a huge bailout and eternal hope as a Bears fan.

Rotoworld has the Packers number 1, Rodgers was sacked 36 times in 15 games...Cutler was on pace to be sacked 36 times in 16 games...Obviously Im not trying to say theyre the best in the league but if they stay healthy I dont think they'll be nearly as bad as everyone thinks

Rotoworld has the Packers number 1, Rodgers was sacked 36 times in 15 games...Cutler was on pace to be sacked 36 times in 16 games...Obviously Im not trying to say theyre the best in the league but if they stay healthy I dont think they'll be nearly as bad as everyone thinks

I would think we will be better, since we only have up to go, but is it going to still be a problem? I think the LT spot is the only one we continue to be concerned about, the middlle will be ok, and Carmi, if healthy will be a upgrade.

Seems like a good chunk on this board and pretty much all the "professional" websites think different. Even on his good streak, he was running for his life every play, so going off sacks doesn't tell the whole story. Just a different opinion is all.

Also, we are not going to add a vet in the mix at this point, so we have the guys we are going to have. I think they will improve with a offseason program, but they will also be learning different plays/schemes. Next year they will be adding a player or two from the draft. Emery said they had a OL player in sight with this year 2nd RD pick, but Jeffery was by far the bpa that would help the Bears win. I can live with that.

I think we could be better this year but there are more questions than one would have liked given the sorry state of the line last year....

Let's hope Carimi will be healthy and stay healthy.

Let's hope Louis and Webb show they are solid.

Let's hope Garza does not suddenly become too old.

Too many questions IMO....

Seems like a good chunk on this board and pretty much all the "professional" websites think different. Even on his good streak, he was running for his life every play, so going off sacks doesn't tell the whole story. Just a different opinion is all.

Also, we are not going to add a vet in the mix at this point, so we have the guys we are going to have. I think they will improve with a offseason program, but they will also be learning different plays/schemes. Next year they will be adding a player or two from the draft. Emery said they had a OL player in sight with this year 2nd RD pick, but Jeffery was by far the bpa that would help the Bears win. I can live with that.

Thank you for a common sense reply to the age-old "but the Packers" argument. Cutler was on a treadmill all year, even when the sacks weren't coming so frequently.

Thank you for a common sense reply to the age-old "but the Packers" argument. Cutler was on a treadmill all year, even when the sacks weren't coming so frequently.

Rodgers was on that same treadmill all season, but I liked that. At least now we'll have SMC and Peppers chasing him down from the corners and I feel better about our chances to catch him.

If a slimmed down JWebb can be a half step quicker sliding his feet (after the snap of course) then we'll be ok. Can't say I'm optimistic.

Rodgers was on that same treadmill all season, but I liked that. At least now we'll have SMC and Peppers chasing him down from the corners and I feel better about our chances to catch him.

If a slimmed down JWebb can be a half step quicker sliding his feet (after the snap of course) then we'll be ok. Can't say I'm optimistic.

See, now this is where I disagree. And since the "pressures" statistic is highly unreliable unless paired with extensive gamefilm study and specific play breakdown, it's difficult to compute. But since I saw all the Bears games last year - most of them more than once - and several of the Packer games last year, I can say without a doubt that Rodgers had a much lower percentage of plays in which he was pressured than Cutler did. Furthermore, Cutler had to predict this so often that he began to move his pocket, roll out, scramble, etc. much more than Rodgers did. It's about consistency, which is where the Bears' OL problems primarily exist. Very rarely did they all get together on the same sheet of music. When Webb didn't suck, Garza did. When Garza didn't, Louis did. When Louis didn't, Williams did. Repeat over and over. Where the Packers differ is they seemed to gel as a unit more often, and while they may have had a similar number of sacks, the percentage of snaps in which Rodgers truly got pressured is, in my opinion, nowhere near as bad as the heat Cutler felt. Combining all the OL stats (i.e. rushing, zero yard plays, pressures, hits, pressures) more accurately tells the story, but it's still not the whole story.

The difference this year is he has WRs to throw to, last year he was "on the treadmill" because guys weren't getting open...Before Williams went out the line wasn't THAT bad, so you take that and add Carimi to it and Im fully confident they wont be the worst in the league.

The difference this year is he has WRs to throw to, last year he was "on the treadmill" because guys weren't getting open...Before Williams went out the line wasn't THAT bad, so you take that and add Carimi to it and Im fully confident they wont be the worst in the league.

They won't be "the" worst in the league, that leaves 31 other places and I'm confident they will still be in the bottom half. That is an improvement, but still a concern that needs to be addressed. Here's to hoping next year we get a RD1 or RD2 talent to add to the mix :cheers

We will win it all this year with what we have. Then, we'll get some new additions and set records on our way to winning a second straight SB.

How's that sound?

They won't be "the" worst in the league, that leaves 31 other places and I'm confident they will still be in the bottom half. That is an improvement, but still a concern that needs to be addressed. Here's to hoping next year we get a RD1 or RD2 talent to add to the mix :cheers

We're adding a RD1 talent this year in Carimi, hes the RD1 pick everyone wanted this year.

Yes, they were that bad. Please quit with the revisionist history. They had a decent stretch where they played relatively consistent as a unit, but for the most part they were bad.

As for the first part, we shall see. People have been saying for years it was a matter of weapons. I've said all along that it doesn't matter how many weapons you have if Cutler is running for his life and has turf stains on his back. This year we will find out if it's because his guys weren't getting open. With Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Hester, Davis, Rodriguez, and Forte, there is no way someone can blame the weapons if Cutler continues to get pounded.

My true hope is for Williams to move outside, put Webb on the bench, and have someone else fill the LG spot. Ideally it'd be Garza, with Spencer at C, but I just don't see that happening.

Well, they did what I thought they'd do and passed on major O-Line upgrades in the draft and FA.

Which means they really believe what they're saying about these guys.

Which means...Tice and Smith's jobs are on the line...literally, on the performance of the line.

We're adding a RD1 talent this year in Carimi, hes the RD1 pick everyone wanted this year.

The oline needs 5 talented players, that's why hitting the draft consistantly with prospects is important. Chris Williams is heading into his last season on contract and Webb hasn't done anything but hold the door. Carimi suffered a serious knee injury, which I hope he can rebound and live up to being an all-pro at RT player. Garza is aging and we have hand me downs at G. We need to add young talent and some point.

Well, they did what I thought they'd do and passed on major O-Line upgrades in the draft and FA.

Which means they really believe what they're saying about these guys.

Which means...Tice and Smith's jobs are on the line...literally, on the performance of the line.

Your statement should be dead on accurate. Somehow I think it won't be, because they'll find another fall guy.

It's still virtually unfathomable that they saw this OL play the last couple years and thought, "Yeah, we're good. Let's focus attention elsewhere." That's simple incompetence. There isn't one front office or coaching staff in the league that would agree with the lofty appraisals of the Bears' OL.

Your statement should be dead on accurate. Somehow I think it won't be, because they'll find another fall guy.

It's still virtually unfathomable that they saw this OL play the last couple years and thought, "Yeah, we're good. Let's focus attention elsewhere." That's simple incompetence. There isn't one front office or coaching staff in the league that would agree with the lofty appraisals of the Bears' OL.

I think you cant upgrade evey weakness in one offseason, but thought the OLine should have been more of a focus. It may turn out ok but have my doubts. I think with improvement and putting Cutler in a better position to throw,with new Wrs they can get by. I only hope that true.

I think you cant upgrade evey weakness in one offseason, but thought the OLine should have been more of a focus. It may turn out ok but have my doubts. I think with improvement and putting Cutler in a better position to throw,with new Wrs they can get by. I only hope that true.

I hope so, too. But I obviously have my legitimate doubts. And the first time Cutler gets pounded, chased, or starts to revert to poor mechanics because the OL can't hold up their end of the bargain, you can guaran-damn-tee there will be a thread about it.

I hope so, too. But I obviously have my legitimate doubts. And the first time Cutler gets pounded, chased, or starts to revert to poor mechanics because the OL can't hold up their end of the bargain, you can guaran-damn-tee there will be a thread about it.

Every QB goes through that at some point. Even guys behind great lines. The questions are the frequency and the results. If it happens rarely, the opposing team is forced to blitz to make it happen, and Cutler can get the ball in Marshall's direction before he's sacked, great. If he takes 9 sacks in a game, can't get rid of the ball, and ends up concussed, that's the opposite.

Which then hopefully leads to Garza moving back to guard and Spencer moving to Center, which I like.

Why do you like that? Garza was a Pro Bowl alternate last year at C. Meanwhile, Spencer is injury prone. He was awful at OG, but he shouldn't be rewarded then with a spot at C. He should be in competition to have any spot on the team at all.

Why do you like that? Garza was a Pro Bowl alternate last year at C. Meanwhile, Spencer is injury prone. He was awful at OG, but he shouldn't be rewarded then with a spot at C. He should be in competition to have any spot on the team at all.

Was he really???? if so excuse my ignorance and forget everything ive said lol.