Bears to sign defensive tackles McCargo and Pressley

Wesson44

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5604133.story

The Bears weren't able to add help at defensive tackle during the draft, so they found some on the street.

An NFL source told the Tribune the team agreed to terms Thursday night with John McCargo, a former first-round draft pick of the Bills, and DeMario Pressley, former teammates at North Carolina State. Both players will receive one-year contracts.

McCargo and Pressley are in position to battle for a roster spot because the Bears have only three experienced tackles: Henry Melton, Matt Toeaina and Stephen Paea, last year's second-round draft pick.

The Buccaneers released McCargo this month. The Bills drafted him 26th overall in 2006, and his most productive season was 2007, when he played in all 16 games and made 29 tackles with 2 1/2 sacks. The 6-foot-2, 307-pounder appeared in four games for the Bucs last season.

Pressley was a fifth-round pick of the Saints in 2008 and played in seven games in their 2009 Super Bowl season. He has been with the Colts, Broncos and appeared in one game last season with the Panthers.

McCargo and Pressley were part of a tryout Thursday at Halas Hall that also included defensive tackle Trey Lewis and defensive end Cheta Ozougwu, sources said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5604133.story

The Bears weren't able to add help at defensive tackle during the draft, so they found some on the street.

An NFL source told the Tribune the team agreed to terms Thursday night with John McCargo, a former first-round draft pick of the Bills, and DeMario Pressley, former teammates at North Carolina State. Both players will receive one-year contracts.

McCargo and Pressley are in position to battle for a roster spot because the Bears have only three experienced tackles: Henry Melton, Matt Toeaina and Stephen Paea, last year's second-round draft pick.

The Buccaneers released McCargo this month. The Bills drafted him 26th overall in 2006, and his most productive season was 2007, when he played in all 16 games and made 29 tackles with 2 1/2 sacks. The 6-foot-2, 307-pounder appeared in four games for the Bucs last season.

Pressley was a fifth-round pick of the Saints in 2008 and played in seven games in their 2009 Super Bowl season. He has been with the Colts, Broncos and appeared in one game last season with the Panthers.

McCargo and Pressley were part of a tryout Thursday at Halas Hall that also included defensive tackle Trey Lewis and defensive end Cheta Ozougwu, sources said.

Were looking in the bottom of the barrel, but hopefully, we can find a rotation guy.

Were looking in the bottom of the barrel, but hopefully, we can find a rotation guy.

I think that they are looking at cheaper options than using draft picks and paying high priced FA guys. This way they can maybe get the best player around with NFL playing experience while still staying with the cap

I think that they are looking at cheaper options than using draft picks and paying high priced FA guys. This way they can maybe get the best player around with NFL playing experience while still staying with the cap

We dont have a choice, I think the way the draft fell, they didnt bring in anybody in the draft, and we werent going to go high dollar at the position with the Marshall signing, so this is the only route.

The Bears have bolstered their defensive line by signing three free agents to one-year contracts: tackles John McCargo and DeMario Pressley and end Cheta Ozougwu.

They actually signed 3 more to try out, and my guess is the best man wins a spot on the bench to come in and give a starter a series to rest and then he is back to the bench, unless of course, he surprises everyone and is better than expected. Then the other two are probably back on the street. If a better option comes up later, someone cut from another team, I am sure we will take a look as well. Right now, we need bodies for camp.

Its ironic that the guy taken in the draft at the Bears original pick signs here. This was the same draft that the Bears traded back and recieved an additional 2nd rounder that netted them Manning and Hester.Hopefully he will contribute more here than he has on his other stops.

I was just going to say that if they were going to do this, I wish they would kept Okoye. Unless he was going to cost a lot.

Okoye didn't cost a lot. He signed a one year deal for 2 million.

That being said, I don't think bringing in these 3 guys excludes us from bringing in Tommie Harris, Anthony Adams, or whoever else is available. These 3 are just a little more desperate for an opportunity.

That being said, I don't think bringing in these 3 guys excludes us from bringing in Tommie Harris, Anthony Adams, or whoever else is available. These 3 are just a little more desperate for an opportunity.

the more options the better.

I agree. The Bears have left the door open to sign a good FA if some vet gets cut this summer or even early in training camp.