James Brown standing out at Minicamp

Bears4Ever_34

"He has stood out in the drills," coach Lovie Smith said. "You notice him. He's slim, athletic, good size, smile on his face and he was a pretty good player in college. However (he went undrafted), we're just glad he's in our camp."

Brown got plenty of play during the draft, especially from ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., who had him listed as his 54th best player. Kiper talked about Brown repeatedly during the later rounds but the 6-foot-4, 306-pounder never had his name called.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,2938546.story

Anybody that might give Jamarcus Webb competition at LT is a good thing. Hope this kid can be one of those hidden gems.

Anybody that might give Jamarcus Webb competition at LT is a good thing. Hope this kid can be one of those hidden gems.

I hope he turns out to be a good player, but Lovie paints (rose gardens) with every player, and they only have shorts on roaming the field with non contract players. Curb your enthusiasm.

I'd be shocked if he ended up as our starter at LT. He isn't that athletic to begin with and he's making a huge jump up in competition level. For all the talk of Webb's issues he still knows the system and the competition in the NFL and that's a huge step up over a rookie UDFA. If Brown is good enough to earn a spot as our backup OT then I'd be very happy but I want him to earn it and not just get it due to lack of competition. That means Chris Williams should still be in the discussion at LT or backup OT if he's our starting LG.

I'd be shocked if he ended up as our starter at LT. He isn't that athletic to begin with and he's making a huge jump up in competition level. For all the talk of Webb's issues he still knows the system and the competition in the NFL and that's a huge step up over a rookie UDFA. If Brown is good enough to earn a spot as our backup OT then I'd be very happy but I want him to earn it and not just get it due to lack of competition. That means Chris Williams should still be in the discussion at LT or backup OT if he's our starting LG.

Makes sense that talking up the UDFA is a good way to make sure Webb stays motivated throughout the offseason.

Makes sense that talking up the UDFA is a good way to make sure Webb stays motivated throughout the offseason.

If he needs that to motivate him after the way he played the last two years, he is a lost cause.I think best case situation is he is our #4 OT with Williams starting or the swing tackle. I think he needs some coaching and to gain stength and he may be able to play competitive in the NFL.

If he needs that to motivate him after the way he played the last two years, he is a lost cause.I think best case situation is he is our #4 OT with Williams starting or the swing tackle. I think he needs some coaching and to gain stength and he may be able to play competitive in the NFL.

I knew someone was going to say this and we'd all love to think it's true that a starting job for an NFL team would be motivation enough, but we all know it isn't. That's why bulletin board material exists. That's why guys get performance bonuses in their contracts. That's why coaches are really important for players. That's why Gregg Williams and a number of players are suspended this year. Keeping a guy motivated every day isn't the easiest thing in the world, even for HOF caliber talents.

I actually like all I have read about Brown and would not be at all surprised if he makes the roster and possibly eventually start. Now at what position, Guard or Tackle, I am not sure and only time will tell. If we had drafted him in the 3rd or 4th round it would have been considered a good pick and the opinions of many on the board would be different. Yes, he smoked some weed in College, but so what, hopefully he learned his lesson and will realize what is at stake now that he has a shot at the Pros.

I actually like all I have read about Brown and would not be at all surprised if he makes the roster and possibly eventually start. Now at what position, Guard or Tackle, I am not sure and only time will tell. If we had drafted him in the 3rd or 4th round it would have been considered a good pick and the opinions of many on the board would be different. Yes, he smoked some weed in College, but so what, hopefully he learned his lesson and will realize what is at stake now that he has a shot at the Pros.

This.

Thing I like the most from what was posted in the OP was Mel Kiper had him ranked as the 54th player overall. Idk why he wasn't drafted but if its cause he smoked a lil weed in college oh friggin well, soon enough pot will be legal anyway...I play semi pro rugby and smoke before games with a van full of other players sometimes and my coach says I can be good enough to be scouted. Pots not a big deal and the sooner people realize that the better..

For him to be rated as the 54th overall from a respected talent evaluator like Mel Kiper tells me he has some talent and coulda gone in the 2nd round. I wouldnt be surprised in the least bit if he starts somewhere on the line this year or in the near future.

Consider my optimism tempered until we actually see him play. I'm not saying he can't/won't make this team, but this reeks of a pre-constructed narrative - everyone had Brown as at least a mid-range draft pick and he went to a team that many feel needed O-line help. I'd wager that the reason Brown was singled out by Lovie is because he's one of the few UDFAs a reporter would specifically ask about, and if you look at Lovie's quote, it's not all that substantive (in fact, it's little more than a physical description and an acknowledgement that he smiled). Sure, he says he stood out in drills, but matched up with other UDFAs, I would expect that from a projected third round pick. This is nothing more than a fluff piece IMO until we actually see him in a game.

Williams is in the competition at LT. Brown is being tried out at both OT and OG. We have a good competition now for Brown to make the roster. He could end up a backup OT or backup OG (take Rachal's spot) or on the practice squad.

As far as the 420 friendly types...this stuff kills motivation and anyone saying otherwise has never been around a bunch of stoned people. Occasional use is one thing but chronic use is totally different, much like alcohol. Brown's response to the question of his drug use and if it affected his draft status was indifferent IMO considering the amount of money he gave up by going undrafted versus the second round. That attitude is not one of someone who is ready to commit to hard work but reminds me of past friends who smoked weed almost daily.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouts from three organizations told the Tribune that marijuana was an issue for Brown and that led their teams to remove his name from their draft boards.

When asked if he wanted to address the matter, Brown said, "Could be something to that.

"I don't really want to address it. I don't have any knowledge of exactly what went on (with other teams).""maybe".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a shot at earning millions of dollars by being an early draft pick can't motivate him to quit then why should we assume he will be motivated to do so now for even less money? Whether or not we agree on the dangers of marijuana use is irrelevant because it is not allowed in the league's collective bargaining agreement, and it is also illegal in most states (unless prescribed as here in AZ). That is the standard he has to meet. Until he proves he gets it and has met that standard for a significant length of time I'll remain skeptical but optimistic on Brown.

Well I can not knock a kid for smoking weed. Especially now that our President has done that and blow. Weed Will be legalized for medical before its all over anyhow. Besides .. its not like brown raped someone, ...Oh wait... His pocketbook sure got raped.

If it came out, probably more than half the pro players smoke pot, but are smart enough to not get caught.Being young and thinking your smarter than those testing you are not uncommon. It will depend on his work ethic and how he turns out as a football player, not whether he quits smoking pot. To bad Hurd is not still on the team, to teach him to hide off field issues. He did that for several years before he got caught being stupid.

Regardless of marijuana use, if an UDFA ends up starting for the Bears as a rookie on the OL, it only shows how bad the OL was, and how much it should have been addressed in the offseason via FA and the draft.

Regardless of marijuana use, if an UDFA ends up starting for the Bears as a rookie on the OL, it only shows how bad the OL was, and how much it should have been addressed in the offseason via FA and the draft.

Really, you flat out can't say this if you actually know the NFL. UDFA's grab starting jobs every year. UDFA's make the pro bowl every year. That's why teams are often so aggressive in trying to sign a bunch of UDFA's...you wind up with a kid who you never expected to perform, or a kid who fell out of the draft because of some issue, stepping up, working really hard, being really motivated, studying and learning your offense, and coming in to the season better prepared than guys who have guaranteed contracts.

Yeah, there are always guys ever year that wind up starting as undrafted free agents. There have been a few that have gone on to make the pro bowl as offensive lineman. Jason Peters for example, Shaun O'Hara, Brian Waters, Donald Penn, Kris Dielman to name a few. Not saying James Brown is our guy of the future because he hasn't played a down yet, but it's also not to say that a guy can't turn out to be a good player just because he wasn't drafted.

Really, you flat out can't say this if you actually know the NFL. UDFA's grab starting jobs every year. UDFA's make the pro bowl every year. That's why teams are often so aggressive in trying to sign a bunch of UDFA's...you wind up with a kid who you never expected to perform, or a kid who fell out of the draft because of some issue, stepping up, working really hard, being really motivated, studying and learning your offense, and coming in to the season better prepared than guys who have guaranteed contracts.

UDFA ROOKIE

The former isn't bad.

The latter isn't bad.

The combination is bad.

Yeah, there are always guys ever year that wind up starting as undrafted free agents. There have been a few that have gone on to make the pro bowl as offensive lineman. Jason Peters for example, Shaun O'Hara, Brian Waters, Donald Penn, Kris Dielman to name a few. Not saying James Brown is our guy of the future because he hasn't played a down yet, but it's also not to say that a guy can't turn out to be a good player just because he wasn't drafted.

As rookies, respectively:

Peters: 1 GS, 5 G

O'Hara: 4/8

Waters: 0/6

Penn: 0/0

Dielman: 0/6

Again, an UDFA Rookie should not be starting in the NFL, and if he does it's going to be quite an abberration.

Seriously, the last day that I care about whether or not a guy was an UDFA or not is the day after the draft. If the guy comes in to camp and actually plays well, he can earn himself playing time.

In each of those cases, it's pretty likely that the team had someone in front of the UDFA Rookie who had to get out of the way first, before the UDFA could take over the role. It's not very likely this kid would come out of camp with the job, but I won't be mad if he earns it. The draft is over, so really, I don't care about whether or not he was drafted anywhere.

Seriously, the last day that I care about whether or not a guy was an UDFA or not is the day after the draft. If the guy comes in to camp and actually plays well, he can earn himself playing time.

In each of those cases, it's pretty likely that the team had someone in front of the UDFA Rookie who had to get out of the way first, before the UDFA could take over the role. It's not very likely this kid would come out of camp with the job, but I won't be mad if he earns it. The draft is over, so really, I don't care about whether or not he was drafted anywhere.

That's kind of my point. If an UDFA Rookie comes in and wins a spot, that's great. It likely means he busted his ass and has something to prove. HOWEVER, it also means the front office did a poor job filling the job recently won, because any position potentially won outright by an UDFA Rookie is not exactly one that has a quality incumbent player. And that is the key to all of this. If an UDFA Rookie can come in and win a job, it means the player previously starting in that position should not have been starting in that position.

That's kind of my point. If an UDFA Rookie comes in and wins a spot, that's great. It likely means he busted his ass and has something to prove. HOWEVER, it also means the front office did a poor job filling the job recently won, because any position potentially won outright by an UDFA Rookie is not exactly one that has a quality incumbent player. And that is the key to all of this. If an UDFA Rookie can come in and win a job, it means the player previously starting in that position should not have been starting in that position.

The way I measure everything is Brady was a 6th round pick. The system is flawed and every once in awhile a player makes it threw. It would be nice if that was Brown, but odds are against him