What needs to be a lot better?

Stinger226

We have added to some areas where our team will be improved. WRs,RBs, special teams, and backups. What of our weaknesses are most important to be a lot better to show great improvement with our record.

DBs, DL, and OL.

I think for us to be a solid team we need the OL to take a giant step forward. Without the OL we wont be able to take advantage of the weapons we added.

We have added to some areas where our team will be improved. WRs,RBs, special teams, and backups. What of our weaknesses are most important to be a lot better to show great improvement with our record.

DBs, DL, and OL.

I think for us to be a solid team we need the OL to take a giant step forward. Without the OL we wont be able to take advantage of the weapons we added.

I think this is phrased wrong, this makes it sound like we wont be good without the OL taking a giant step forward....this team was 7-3 when healthy with the OL playing the way they did...this team is a solid team no matter what

Guest TerraTor

DBs, DL, and OL.

either way, DL needs to get alot more pressure

The Bears area already solid, but to take the next step I think the following needs to happen:

1. McClellin makes a significant impact - This would take weight of Peppers' shoulders and allow more defensive freedom

2. The defense needs to continue the trend away from the cover-2, and allow more rush/blitz freedom from the athletes being acquired.

3. Hester has more time on ST and less time at WR, which would help field position and result in a few TDs

4. Webb needs to be benched, the OL needs to be retooled, and Cutler needs to stay upright, which would solve the non-existent WR problem

5. Tice needs to prove he can call an effective offensive gameplan

I know it's trendy to say that the Bears should play less cover 2, but I'm going to go the reverse and say I think they've got a good balance in defensive playcalling and they might well be effective playing it more, if they can generate more pass rush from the side opposite peppers.

If you watched the Giants and Patriots this year in the playoffs, the reason they got to the super bowl was the cover 2. That's how the mega-offenses can be held somewhat in check.

I know it's trendy to say that the Bears should play less cover 2, but I'm going to go the reverse and say I think they've got a good balance in defensive playcalling and they might well be effective playing it more, if they can generate more pass rush from the side opposite peppers.

If you watched the Giants and Patriots this year in the playoffs, the reason they got to the super bowl was the cover 2. That's how the mega-offenses can be held somewhat in check.

My statement was not because of the trendy nature. I've hated the cover-2 defense for quite some time, and have said so.

And don't fool yourself. The reason the Giants held the Patriots in check wasn't the cover-2. They dominate on defense because they have a stable of completely nasty DEs who cannot be blocked without each getting a consistent double-team. This allows them to play whatever defense they want. With a dominant pass rush, just about any defense is successful.

My statement was not because of the trendy nature. I've hated the cover-2 defense for quite some time, and have said so.

And don't fool yourself. The reason the Giants held the Patriots in check wasn't the cover-2. They dominate on defense because they have a stable of completely nasty DEs who cannot be blocked without each getting a consistent double-team. This allows them to play whatever defense they want. With a dominant pass rush, just about any defense is successful.

But...that same defense put up some genuinely terrible numbers during the regular season. Gave up a ton of yards in particular. But it was able to keep the Patriots from scoring. And the Packers.

Turn around the other way, the Giants had a very good offense as well, the Patriots don't have a stellar pass rush, and they also slowed the Giants down considerably to keep the Super Bowl low scoring.