Highest ceiling

AZ54

As evidenced by our recent draft we are no longer looking for players with the highest floor.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8845

“I want the players with the high ceilings, with the largest capacity for growth,” Emery said in King's Monday Morning Quarterback column. “And I believe every aspect of that player is on tape. You can see him, you can read him.”

I think this showed in our draft: Trading up for Alshon Jeffrey, taking Brandon Hardin in Rd 3. I can't see JA ever making the trade to grab Jeffrey especially if he had already made a deal to acquire Brandon Marshall. JA would have sat and waited to see who fell to him. JA might have taken Hardin as he took risks at DB with guys like Danieal Manning but with JA change on taking injury risks his last couple seasons I don't know if he'd have made that pick in Rd 3.

I wonder if it's even possible to make that distinction. In other words, the "it's all a crapshoot. stop pretending to know more than you do" philosophy. I guarantee you Wes Welker didn't have a high ceiling when he was a rookie, yet he broke way through it. You could try to use stats to research it, but the reality is that players with perceived low-ceilings never get as many chances as those with high ceilings. In other words, the NFL is not an unbiased experiment.

Anyway, I like the idea of seeing both as equally important and evaluating with that in mind. You don't want to miss your Brian Urlachers, but you don't want to get cute all the time and end up with a team that's otherwise full of athletes that just aren't ballers.

I wonder if it's even possible to make that distinction. In other words, the "it's all a crapshoot. stop pretending to know more than you do" philosophy. I guarantee you Wes Welker didn't have a high ceiling when he was a rookie, yet he broke way through it. You could try to use stats to research it, but the reality is that players with perceived low-ceilings never get as many chances as those with high ceilings. In other words, the NFL is not an unbiased experiment.

Anyway, I like the idea of seeing both as equally important and evaluating with that in mind. You don't want to miss your Brian Urlachers, but you don't want to get cute all the time and end up with a team that's otherwise full of athletes that just aren't ballers.

Good post. My biggest gripe on Angelo was that he was drafting a ton of players with high ceilings. Or as I like to reefer to them as "men in shorts". You have to have the guys with the high floors too...

Only time will tell, but the biggest difference between JA and Emery is that JA liked drafting athletes, and Emerey appears to like drafting football players.

I prefer the latter all else being equal.

Good post. My biggest gripe on Angelo was that he was drafting a ton of players with high ceilings. Or as I like to reefer to them as "men in shorts". You have to have the guys with the high floors too...

I don't think Emery disregards the floor at all and nothing he has said indicates that. It appears his window of acceptability on floor-to-ceiling is probably a bit wider than JAs was. However, as MadLith said, Emery targets football players. JA always seemed to be more concerned with the floor in his first round picks than he was with the ceiling. The confidence in making these risk decisions comes from your scouting and Emery is going to be very involved in how that is done as well as doing some scouting himself.

I don't think Emery disregards the floor at all and nothing he has said indicates that. It appears his window of acceptability on floor-to-ceiling is probably a bit wider than JAs was. However, as MadLith said, Emery targets football players. JA always seemed to be more concerned with the floor in his first round picks than he was with the ceiling. The confidence in making these risk decisions comes from your scouting and Emery is going to be very involved in how that is done as well as doing some scouting himself.

No matter how this draft turns out, Emery run the draft with JAs guys still in place and was late into the process. I would say next year will be his true first draft.

Only time will tell, but the biggest difference between JA and Emery is that JA liked drafting athletes, and Emerey appears to like drafting football players.

I prefer the latter all else being equal.

Agreed.

Give me ten Zach Thomas-type players over ten Lavar Arrington-type players any day of the week.