Biggest Winners and Losers of Bears OTAs

Wesson44

WR Chris Summers, seems like a good prospect. Seems clear there is going to be some competition for the last WR spot among Thomas, Sanz, and Summers. They had good words for Sanzenbacher but there really hasn't been anything of note said about Thomas as a WR.

I think the winners are BR writers and the losers are us who continue to read their garbage and consider it credible.

WR Chris Summers, seems like a good prospect. Seems clear there is going to be some competition for the last WR spot among Thomas, Sanz, and Summers. They had good words for Sanzenbacher but there really hasn't been anything of note said about Thomas as a WR.

Thomas/Weems article.

Good....if WR Chris Summers does make the opening day roster(i dont think so) but that will be three WR's at 6'3 and above. Summers is 6'5

I think the winners are BR writers and the losers are us who continue to read their garbage and consider it credible.

Thomas/Weems article.

Is your point that Thomas has been impressive in OTAs? Everything in the summer is just a fluff piece. At least they covered some details on Summers background and I think as a UDFA he's a good prospect for us. He should have a good shot at making the practice squad and might be able to compete for the last WR slot. After years in the league Thomas' best attribute as a WR is his ability to cover kick returns. That's not exactly what we want out of a WR. I don't view him as a lock to make the roster, the same goes for Sanzenbacher. At least for once we are no longer debating who will line up as the #1 WR, and even positions 2-4 are clear although I expect those players will be shuffled around.

Why don't you like adding Summers as a UDFA?

Completely agree. The worst source of sports news. I'll probably get better info from my wife.

Completely agree. The worst source of sports news. I'll probably get better info from my wife.

WR Chris Summers, seems like a good prospect if we can get him to play like Marshall or Jeffrey(how he can play) then I see him making at least the practice squad.

Is your point that Thomas has been impressive in OTAs? Everything in the summer is just a fluff piece. At least they covered some details on Summers background and I think as a UDFA he's a good prospect for us. He should have a good shot at making the practice squad and might be able to compete for the last WR slot. After years in the league Thomas' best attribute as a WR is his ability to cover kick returns. That's not exactly what we want out of a WR. I don't view him as a lock to make the roster, the same goes for Sanzenbacher. At least for once we are no longer debating who will line up as the #1 WR, and even positions 2-4 are clear although I expect those players will be shuffled around.

Why don't you like adding Summers as a UDFA?

My point is someone said that nothing has been made of Thomas this offseason so I provided a link.

WR Chris Summers, seems like a good prospect if we can get him to play like Marshall or Jeffrey(how he can play) then I see him making at least the practice squad.

Why do you want to add all of these losers to this team? In one thread you want a J'Marcus Webb clone and in this one, you want an UDFA rookie WR. The Bears added FOUR wideouts this offseason. Isn't that enough? Will your next thread be one complaining that Emery didn't take a flier on Ochocinco?

Why do you want to add all of these losers to this team? In one thread you want a J'Marcus Webb clone and in this one, you want an UDFA rookie WR. The Bears added FOUR wideouts this offseason. Isn't that enough? Will your next thread be one complaining that Emery didn't take a flier on Ochocinco?

He's got a tall WR fetish, that's why...

My point is someone said that nothing has been made of Thomas this offseason so I provided a link.

What make this guy a loser? For the record I hate Ochocinco cant learn the playbooks of two different teams and always wants to show off for doing something simple....his job. I just want to see this team get better. When you have options that can do damage to the teams you play against then load up and get it done.Well yes we added four WR, two beast IMHO in Marshall/Jeffrey, and two role playing WR Thomas/Weems. I just go with what I see we need as a team. Yes I love big tall WR because they give your team an advantage from the first snap against small 5'9 to 6'0 DB's. Also your QB does not have to throw the ball picture perfect all the time when your guys can go and get a high pass or attack the ball in a jump ball situation.You see hao Green Bay just used our DB on the goalline last year with that slant route(they knew we couldn't cover it) and won the game. Well this year watch what we do and who we use in the red zone that teams cant match up to. Davis/Spaeth at TE 6'7, Marshall/Jeffrey at WR at 6'4. I want players on this team to make the team better, if its a UDFA so be it, if its a guy that can come in and take Webb's job then thats fine with me too.

Yes because you and I both know 6'4 against 5'10 is a win for us all day in a red zone fade route or jump ball right?

Height does not necessarily equate to increased production, better hands, the ability to catch, the ability to run routes, shielding off defenders, making the catch at the maximum height possible, or a variety of other concepts that seem to elude you. If all of it did, then every team in the NFL would have something like a 95% success rate in the red zone with the fade route and/or jump ball.

Height does not necessarily equate to increased production, better hands, the ability to catch, the ability to run routes, shielding off defenders, making the catch at the maximum height possible, or a variety of other concepts that seem to elude you. If all of it did, then every team in the NFL would have something like a 95% success rate in the red zone with the fade route and/or jump ball.

Well you know as well as I do when i make the reference to height for OUR team I use the players we have that have the "better hands, the ability to catch, the ability to run routes, shielding off defenders, making the catch at the maximum height possible" those qualities they dont elude me. Because if they players didnt have those traits in the first place they would either be sitting on the bench or at home like you and I."Height does not necessarily equate to increased production" true I give that to you but on the other hand it does give you an advantage that could and can equate to increased production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTegYX4Gro4

There is no problem at all giving this kid a tryout. Nobody has anointed him a starter much less a roster spot just because he is tall. No different than the OT UDFA we brought in.

Despite the link there is nothing in that Bears site article that says Thomas has been making people notice him on the field. At the end of training camp I just want the best 5 or 6 WR on the team and I don't care about draft status or experience. If Thomas can't beat out a UDFA rookie from a small school then it wouldn't say much for him, but I think he'll have no trouble.

There is no problem at all giving this kid a tryout. Nobody has anointed him a starter much less a roster spot just because he is tall. No different than the OT UDFA we brought in.

Despite the link there is nothing in that Bears site article that says Thomas has been making people notice him on the field. At the end of training camp I just want the best 5 or 6 WR on the team and I don't care about draft status or experience. If Thomas can't beat out a UDFA rookie from a small school then it wouldn't say much for him, but I think he'll have no trouble.

Yes I agree with you, I want the 5 or 6 WR on the roster that can give us the best chance of winning

Well you know as well as I do when i make the reference to height for OUR team I use the players we have that have the "better hands, the ability to catch, the ability to run routes, shielding off defenders, making the catch at the maximum height possible" those qualities they dont elude me. Because if they players didnt have those traits in the first place they would either be sitting on the bench or at home like you and I."Height does not necessarily equate to increased production" true I give that to you but on the other hand it does give you an advantage that could and can equate to increased production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTegYX4Gro4

And yet, despite all his measurables, Summers was not drafted. It's not impossible to be an UDFA and make the NFL, but the odds are slimmer and it's an indication that the people in the NFL do not believe the player's talents equate to the NFL field.

I would expect them to keep Thomas on the team even if he's beaten out for a WR spot to be one of the special teams aces. Hell, they could legitimately carry 7 guys who can play the WR position, if you count the fact that 3 of them are special teamers

Marshall

Jeffrey

Bennett

Hester

Weems

Thomas

Wild Card?

I would expect them to keep Thomas on the team even if he's beaten out for a WR spot to be one of the special teams aces. Hell, they could legitimately carry 7 guys who can play the WR position, if you count the fact that 3 of them are special teamers

Marshall

Jeffrey

Bennett

Hester

Weems

Thomas

Wild Card?

I doubt we'd go with 7 WRs because of special teams. It seems the Bears like to have a bigger guy (LB type) as one of their special teams aces. Thomas' best value on special teams is as a coverage man. There's no way a guy like this UDFA WR keeps up with his speed as a gunner so that definitely helps Thomas.

I doubt we'd go with 7 WRs because of special teams. It seems the Bears like to have a bigger guy (LB type) as one of their special teams aces. Thomas' best value on special teams is as a coverage man. There's no way a guy like this UDFA WR keeps up with his speed as a gunner so that definitely helps Thomas.

Is there someone on the roster who fills that role? Didn't the Bears lose their ST Ace last year? Was that Graham or is memory faulty here? If my memory works, Graham is that CB sized guy, 200 lbs, kind of guy you could replace on ST with a WR.

Is there someone on the roster who fills that role? Didn't the Bears lose their ST Ace last year? Was that Graham or is memory faulty here? If my memory works, Graham is that CB sized guy, 200 lbs, kind of guy you could replace on ST with a WR.

Thomas makes the team because of special teams play not just because he is a WR.The WR's will be Marshall, Jeffrey, Hester, Bennett,Thomas, Weems. Knox wont play this year,and Sanazenbacher gets cut.