Does history repeat itself?

Stinger226

Every time we think we are going to have a good year, they disappoint us.Every time we expect so little they suprize us. Is it finally the year where we play up to our potenial from day 1. I think so. We now have a more talented Offense to live in the present of the NFL. The defense is starting to slide some, but if we can get top 16 production out of it, we maybe will be talking 11 to 12 victories. Im not drinking coolaid this morning. The STs is always one of the best, so with an upgraded offense, good things could be coming. :headbang

We might have one of the best all around Bears teams in quite some time. The offense is much improved, the defense could actually be better if someone like McClellin or Hardin make an impact, and ST are always a strength.

In a way, an improved offense may make our defense better. If we are scoring more, teams will become more one dimensional which should make the D's job easier. Also, longer sustained drives on offense will allow our defense to get some much needed rest.

Well said.

In all honesty, Smith's D is completely structured to be just in that situation...

We might have one of the best all around Bears teams in quite some time. The offense is much improved, the defense could actually be better if someone like McClellin or Hardin make an impact, and ST are always a strength.

In a way, an improved offense may make our defense better. If we are scoring more, teams will become more one dimensional which should make the D's job easier. Also, longer sustained drives on offense will allow our defense to get some much needed rest.

I have to agree. If the defense is on the field less, because our offense is sustaining drives and chewing up the clock, this helps the defense immensely. Let's face it, our defense has done a heck of a job considering how long they had to be on the field. If instead of 35 minutes a game on defense they were only on the field for 25 minutes, meaning our offense gives us the advantage in time of possession, it automatically makes our defense much better statistically. (and a fresh defense will theoretically stay healthier).

I have to agree. If the defense is on the field less, because our offense is sustaining drives and chewing up the clock, this helps the defense immensely. Let's face it, our defense has done a heck of a job considering how long they had to be on the field. If instead of 35 minutes a game on defense they were only on the field for 25 minutes, meaning our offense gives us the advantage in time of possession, it automatically makes our defense much better statistically. (and a fresh defense will theoretically stay healthier).

Been saying this for years. That's the reason they should have never fired Ron Turner in favor of Martz. Tice will return to the same philosophy Turner had, but will have better QB, WR and RB to work with. We should consistently win the "time of possession" battle and hopefully rest our D.

Been saying this for years. That's the reason they should have never fired Ron Turner in favor of Martz. Tice will return to the same philosophy Turner had, but will have better QB, WR and RB to work with. We should consistently win the "time of possession" battle and hopefully rest our D.

That might be true,but them again with our new WR group it might be a disadvantage to the defense. It seems like they are an explosive group now and might be that kind of corp that three plays and you are in scoring range or just have scored. Meaning the defense will be back on the field with less time than they would have had if we had a 14 play scoring drive, rather than a three play drive. Picture this the bears have the ball twice and scored on both of them with a 5 play drive and a 6 play drive. We play the Colts and they dink and dunk and score on two drives of 12 plays and 15 plays. Now whose Defense is tired already?.

That might be true,but them again with our new WR group it might be a disadvantage to the defense. It seems like they are an explosive group now and might be that kind of corp that three plays and you are in scoring range or just have scored. Meaning the defense will be back on the field with less time than they would have had if we had a 14 play scoring drive, rather than a three play drive. Picture this the bears have the ball twice and scored on both of them with a 5 play drive and a 6 play drive. We play the Colts and they dink and dunk and score on two drives of 12 plays and 15 plays. Now whose Defense is tired already?.

If the offense is that productive, that means we are scoring lots of points and the other team with be forced to play catch up, and the sacks and turnovers will be flowing.

If the offense is that productive, that means we are scoring lots of points and the other team with be forced to play catch up, and the sacks and turnovers will be flowing.

True and I hope it all plays out that way. We have they making of being a really good team this year. :cheers

another thing to consider is if the offense is scoring points, the D won't have the added burden of keeping the team in games till the offense comes around. If the offense is putting up points regularly, then the D can afford a bad defensive possession here and there . The pressure will not be as great. We've had to play almost perfect football on D in the past.

another thing to consider is if the offense is scoring points, the D won't have the added burden of keeping the team in games till the offense comes around. If the offense is putting up points regularly, then the D can afford a bad defensive possession here and there . The pressure will not be as great. We've had to play almost perfect football on D in the past.

Yes that point is so true

Yes, true, I hope so. But I wonder what will happen if/when the TOP victory leads to less stats for Cutler, Marshall, et al. Will there be problems on defense?

What I hope for is the end of predictability. The last four or five OCs have been utterly predictable, especially Turner. I look forward to the day of seeing a formation and being consistently surprised about the results of the play. Far too often in the past we can see the formation and know immediately what is going to happen. If we can guess the play, so can the opponents.

Yes, true, I hope so. But I wonder what will happen if/when the TOP victory leads to less stats for Cutler, Marshall, et al. Will there be problems on defense?

What I hope for is the end of predictability. The last four or five OCs have been utterly predictable, especially Turner. I look forward to the day of seeing a formation and being consistently surprised about the results of the play. Far too often in the past we can see the formation and know immediately what is going to happen. If we can guess the play, so can the opponents.

So true,but I think with the players we now have we will have better a outcome of those predictable plays. I love the idea of Cutler doing some of the things he did in Denver to take advantage of his ability to move out of the pocket with the roll outs. Marshall,Jeffrey, and Bennett/Heser in the slot are going to change alot of game plans for the teams we will play

I think we were predictable because we had limited weapons on offense and thus less options to use. Now with one very good WR it changes everything. What I like with what I am seeing is we are playing to the players strengths that we have. We could have on the field at one time, a 6-4,6-3,6-7 targets, and with options of Forte and Hester out of the slot, what a nightmare for a DC. When was the last time we had a matchup problem for a defense? I use to do drugs, so I actually cant remember that situation going back. I think we all that we added, the one player that will take advantage of all this will be Bennett. Hopefully he will mainly be playing slot and will flourish with giants on the field.

I think we were predictable because we had limited weapons on offense and thus less options to use. Now with one very good WR it changes everything. What I like with what I am seeing is we are playing to the players strengths that we have. We could have on the field at one time, a 6-4,6-3,6-7 targets, and with options of Forte and Hester out of the slot, what a nightmare for a DC. When was the last time we had a matchup problem for a defense? I use to do drugs, so I actually cant remember that situation going back. I think we all that we added, the one player that will take advantage of all this will be Bennett. Hopefully he will mainly be playing slot and will flourish with giants on the field.

I don't buy that for one moment. Regardelss of talent, the quick slant is a route that has been used for eons, and the Packers have gutted the Bears for years with it. Despite that, however, the Bears very infrequently used it in recent memory. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Bears didn't even use the entire route tree.

Having the talent helps, but exploiting the talent available helps more. And that's what I don't think has happened very well.

I don't buy that for one moment. Regardelss of talent, the quick slant is a route that has been used for eons, and the Packers have gutted the Bears for years with it. Despite that, however, the Bears very infrequently used it in recent memory. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Bears didn't even use the entire route tree.

Having the talent helps, but exploiting the talent available helps more. And that's what I don't think has happened very well.

Well with the new additions we have this year you can bet that it will happen. Coach Tice already has said that if we have one on one situations he is going to make the other team pay with our WR. And they (Tice & Lovie) talked about the mismatches coming up in the red zone.

If we play to the players strengths instead of trying to force a system we will eventually succeed with our talent. It will prove to be true once we see real games. I dont like Lovie but think Tice has the smarts to do it well.

Well with the new additions we have this year you can bet that it will happen. Coach Tice already has said that if we have one on one situations he is going to make the other team pay with our WR. And they (Tice & Lovie) talked about the mismatches coming up in the red zone.

We've heard hyperbole and coach-speak before. I'll wait to see the results before I blindly buy in.

Every time we think we are going to have a good year, they disappoint us.Every time we expect so little they suprize us. Is it finally the year where we play up to our potenial from day 1. I think so. We now have a more talented Offense to live in the present of the NFL. The defense is starting to slide some, but if we can get top 16 production out of it, we maybe will be talking 11 to 12 victories. Im not drinking coolaid this morning. The STs is always one of the best, so with an upgraded offense, good things could be coming. :headbang

I could not agree more...It's all about portfolio diversification with gm that will be tactical in his management approach! I am lovin it and about time that this team realized that putting all your eggs in one basket (Defense) is foolish and rediciulous to think that is the blue print for winning a SB in today's NFL. I really like the balnce that we are begining to have and must continue to bring in young talent at the key positions on both sides of the ball and this team will truly have a legit chance at winning a SB soon!