• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1222885...er-devin-hester

1. Jeffrey Possesses a True Outside Threat Opposite Brandon Marshall

2. Hester Is Better Utilized in Special Packages

3. Jeffery Starting Allows Earl Bennett to Play in the Slot

4. Jeffery Is a True Redzone Threat

1.) Hester is more so

2.) Proof? Hester has been fairly productive in the context of the Bears WR's with out special packages.

3.) So would Hester

4.) When the Bears are in the red zone, maybe.

Don't get me wrong, if Jeffery can progress enough in camp, then I want to see him start too. The thing is we don't know where he is at, and it can take a few years for a WR to make the transition to the NFL and be productive. The link btw took me to some stupid story about why the Bears should sign Tommy Harris.

Here are all the reasons for why Jeffery will start.

- He's a 2nd round pick who has all the physical tools to be successful at this level

- Devin Hester is not a very good WR and we have been witnesses to it for almost 4 years now

Devin has never had a 1,000 yard season, he's never caught over 60 balls, and he's never had more than 4 touchdowns in a season. Since he became a full time receiver he's averaged about 44 receptions, 565 yards, 3 TD's a season. Those aren't the numbers of a #1 or a #2 receiver. He is best used as a slot, package receiver that can take advantage of the double teams being thrown at Brandon in certain situations that allows Devin to get out into open space and do what he does best.. make something happen.

He's got to learn how to adjust to deep balls and secure the catch once it hits his hands. He may run unbelievable routes, as they say, but it doesn't matter if you can't consistently catch it or you can't improvise while the ball is in the air and the defender is right there with you to make a play.

Alshon was brought here to be the #2 next to Brandon. His hands have been noted to be some of the best in this draft, and he has already been used to being the focal point of an offense from college. His adjustment is much easier, coming into this league not having to be "The guy" like some other rookies have been asked to do in the past. He's in a great situation.

- Devin Hester is not a very good WR and we have been witnesses to it for almost 4 years now

That I agree to. I just didn't agree with the reasons Jeffery MUST start, as listed above.

I could see the argument for Bennett MUST start over Hester. Jeffery I don't agree is a MUST start. Of the top 10 receivers, going by yardage, only Victor Cruz had a rookie year where he hit 60 catches or 1000 yards. It's just a position that takes time, and until he proves it on the field, I don't think Jeffery is a must start over Hester. Brandon Marshall himself only had 20 catches for a little over 300 yards his rookie year.

1 reason Jeffrey should not be the starter:

He hasn't earned it.

OK good point, but has marshall earned his role as the No 1 for our team....not by what he has done in the past but by what he has done for this team? No but he is the NO1. Jeffrey is the no 2 because we drafted him to be just that.

OK good point, but has marshall earned his role as the No 1 for our team....not by what he has done in the past but by what he has done for this team? No but he is the NO1. Jeffrey is the no 2 because we drafted him to be just that.

Marshall is the No. 1 because he has played at that level in the NFL with our current QB. Jeffrey has not played a down. He does have to earn it.

Peace :dabears

Marshall is the No. 1 because he has played at that level in the NFL with our current QB. Jeffrey has not played a down. He does have to earn it.

Peace :dabears

I know and understand but that was not the point. Jeffrey was drafted to be the no.2 WR and will start before Hester due to him being a real WR not a converted CB.

I know and understand but that was not the point. Jeffrey was drafted to be the no.2 WR and will start before Hester due to him being a real WR not a converted CB.

He will only start if he earns it. However, he will not have to be better than Hester to take the #2. They will give him some leeway to grow if he is progressing at a satisfactory rate, because of his draft status and potential.

I hope Jeffery starts this year. That will show he deserves to. However, there is no reason he must start, he wasn't drafted to start this year, and no reason to think he will.

IMHO Jeffrey will have a good training camp and will be the no 2 WR. You say he needs to earn it but I think differently. You but the best players on the field that gives you the best chance of winning.Even tho Jeffrey was a second round pick he is going to be on the field.They say he has better hands than Blackmon, Floyd and Hill that were picked before him.

IMHO Jeffrey will have a good training camp and will be the no 2 WR. You say he needs to earn it but I think differently.You but the best players on the field that gives you the best chance of winning. Even tho Jeffrey was a second round pick he is going to be on the field.They say he has better hands than Blackmon, Floyd and Hill that were picked before him.

You're contradicting yourself. If he earns the position, that implies he is the best player for the job.

I would love to see Alshon earn the starting role coming out of training camp but I don't see it happening. We are running an entirely new offense and we (fingers crossed) expect to be protecting Cutler with a lot more quick passes. We can't afford mistakes early in the season and I think Cutler will be most comfortable with his veterans out there. Alshon has a lot to learn and now add to that the audibles that Cutler will be calling. As the season progresses and he is more familiar with the offense then I could see it happening.

I would love to see Alshon earn the starting role coming out of training camp but I don't see it happening. We are running an entirely new offense and we (fingers crossed) expect to be protecting Cutler with a lot more quick passes. We can't afford mistakes early in the season and I think Cutler will be most comfortable with his veterans out there. Alshon has a lot to learn and now add to that the audibles that Cutler will be calling. As the season progresses and he is more familiar with the offense then I could see it happening.

But there is one thing you are forgetting and that is the size of Jeffrey. This means that Cutler does not have to be perfect with the ball. If you throw it to either Marshall or Jeffrey they can go high above smaller players to get the ball. And he is learning what Cutker will do in camp...so I will see him on the field

You're contradicting yourself. If he earns the position, that implies he is the best player for the job.

No I'm not he is a better WR than Hester but since Hesster is not a rookie he has the starting spot.Sothe better Wr is second string. I'm saying if you know that Jeffrey is abetter WR than Hester then you go with him giving you the best chance of winning

No I'm not he is a better WR than Hester but since Hesster is not a rookie he has the starting spot.Sothe better Wr is second string. I'm saying if you know that Jeffrey is abetter WR than Hester then you go with him giving you the best chance of winning

Can you please explain to me how Jeffery makes a better NFL WR at this point or how he gives the Bears a better chance of winning?

The way I see it against Hester, Jeffery will be the #2. Against Bennet, that remains to be seen. Barring injury, there is almost no question that Jeffery will be playing more at WR (in the starting lineup) than will Hester. And probably Bennet.

I would like to see Weems and Thomas contribute too but I expect they will be moreso on ST than anything.

The way I see it against Hester, Jeffery will be the #2. Against Bennet, that remains to be seen. Barring injury, there is almost no question that Jeffery will be playing more at WR (in the starting lineup) than will Hester. And probably Bennet.

I would like to see Weems and Thomas contribute too but I expect they will be moreso on ST than anything.

My gut feeling is this:

Weems and Thomas will be primarily ST, and rightfully so.

Hester will get some time at WR, but he'll primarily be ST as well.

Sanzenbacher will be cut.

The starters will "technically" be Marshall and Jeffery, but there will be A LOT of 4 WR sets.

When there isn't 4 WR sets, there will be 3 WR-2 TE sets, with Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Davis, and Rodriguez.

Can you please explain to me how Jeffery makes a better NFL WR at this point or how he gives the Bears a better chance of winning?

Well you have to just look at it. Hester was drafted as a CB not a WR. Jeffrey is a true WR. Jeffrey is 6'4 Hester is 5'11 so who wins in the jump ball situations? Jeffrey. Who was said to have the best hands in the draft? Jeffrey. Now Hester is maybe faster and has the moves to go with the speed,but as a pure throw me the ball type of player its jeffrey over Hester. Jeffrey is in the mold of Marshall and you can not compare Maeshall to Hester. Now he gives the Bears a better chance of winning because you as the other team can not double Hester, Marshall or Jeffrey when they are in the game so one of them will be in one on one coverage. There will be a mismatch because of his height and how he attacks the ball.Plain and simple Jeffrey is a true WR and will be a good one for our team while Hester is a converted CB but playing good as a WR

Well you have to just look at it. Hester was drafted as a CB not a WR. Jeffrey is a true WR. Jeffrey is 6'4 Hester is 5'11 so who wins in the jump ball situations? Jeffrey. Who was said to have the best hands in the draft? Jeffrey. Now Hester is maybe faster and has the moves to go with the speed,but as a pure throw me the ball type of player its jeffrey over Hester. Jeffrey is in the mold of Marshall and you can not compare Maeshall to Hester. Now he gives the Bears a better chance of winning because you as the other team can not double Hester, Marshall or Jeffrey when they are in the game so one of them will be in one on one coverage. There will be a mismatch because of his height and how he attacks the ball.Plain and simple Jeffrey is a true WR and will be a good one for our team while Hester is a converted CB but playing good as a WR

So...shouldn't he start then?