Camp Oline Battle

Wesson44

IMHO the real postion battles that we should keep an eye on is the Oline. These are the players we have on the roster Roberto Garza C, Chris Spencer C ,Cory Brandon OT, James Brown OT, Gabe Carimi OT, A.J. Greene OT, Tyler Hendrickson OT, J'Marcus Webb OT, Ricky Henry OG , Lance Louis OG ,Nick Pieschel OG Chilo Rachal OG, Chris Williams OG Edwin Williams OG/C. Looking at these players i think from the start that Greene, Hendrickson,Henry,Brandon and Pieschel wont make the team...that just me. The GM spoke about Henry, Pieschel and Rachal so who knows...but I have a feeling that its going to be Williams LT, Spencer LG, Garza C, Louis RG Carimi RT as the 1st string, unless we have someone go down or one of the other players comes in and is a beast and take someone spot!

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/

Honestly speaking, I am kind of distancing myself from the O Line this pre-season. My hope is simply that guys step up and that the staff picks the right mix. There are simply too many questions besides Garza and Carimi to really feel like I have any horses in the race.

IMHO the real postion battles that we should keep an eye on is the Oline. These are the players we have on the roster Roberto Garza C, Chris Spencer C ,Cory Brandon OT, James Brown OT, Gabe Carimi OT, A.J. Greene OT, Tyler Hendrickson OT, J'Marcus Webb OT, Ricky Henry OG , Lance Louis OG ,Nick Pieschel OG Chilo Rachal OG, Chris Williams OG Edwin Williams OG/C. Looking at these players i think from the start that Greene, Hendrickson,Henry,Brandon and Pieschel wont make the team...that just me. The GM spoke about Henry, Pieschel and Rachal so who knows...but I have a feeling that its going to be Williams LT, Spencer LG, Garza C, Louis RG Carimi RT as the 1st string, unless we have someone go down or one of the other players comes in and is a beast and take someone spot!

Honestly speaking, I am kind of distancing myself from the O Line this pre-season. My hope is simply that guys step up and that the staff picks the right mix. There are simply too many questions besides Garza and Carimi to really feel like I have any horses in the race.

Com'n Madlith! This is the key to our championship. Honestly, I think Garza, Louis and Carimi are locks with Spencer having an edge at LG. Williams and Webb it's the battle I'm most interested in. I'm specifically rooting for Williams, as I feel he is smarter and has better feet than Webb. Hes really hit the gym and it's very noticeable. Webb could be the future with his power and prototypical size, but still too raw for my taste.

Ha! No, I do get it that this is a key portion of our season. But, I just don't have a feel for any of the guys other than Garza and Carimi. I do pretty much agree with your thoughts. From what I know and can reasonably extrapolate, it would seem that the guard spots can be filled with someone competent like Louis and Spencer. And, like you say, seeing Williams win out would be preferred. I also thing Webb could be a fantastic rotation guy. Either to spell or fill in for injury. He's raw, but he could continue to improve. But, I'm not particularly sold on anything but Garza and Carimi. So if Webb just kicks ass, then rock n' roll! I'm basically putting my trust in Tice to make the right call.

Com'n Madlith! This is the key to our championship. Honestly, I think Garza, Louis and Carimi are locks with Spencer having an edge at LG. Williams and Webb it's the battle I'm most interested in. I'm specifically rooting for Williams, as I feel he is smarter and has better feet than Webb. Hes really hit the gym and it's very noticeable. Webb could be the future with his power and prototypical size, but still too raw for my taste.

but I have a feeling that its going to be Williams LT, Spencer LG, Garza C, Louis RG Carimi RT as the 1st string, unless we have someone go down or one of the other players comes in and is a beast and take someone spot!

Agreed 100%. The only real camp battle is C Williams vs. J Webb. IMO that's a farce and C Williams has the job. J Webb will be the swing tackle/back-up and pending injury, that's your line-up.

Truthfully, I have no idea why Williams is getting no shot at the starting OG spot. Last year until he got injured, I thought he had a few good games and was just starting to adapt at that spot.

Now, all of a sudden it's starting LT or bust, and at one OG spot, they're going to just hand Chris Spencer the job, where last year I thought he was the 2nd worst OL, behind Webb.

It's kind of confusing. I'd prefer Webb-Williams-Garza-Louis-Carimi. If Williams is truly the best LT, then Williams-Spencer-Garza-Louis-Carimi, but unfortunately, I don't think Williams will have a fair shot at winning the LT spot.

I think that's simply good management.

IMHO I think thise is a smokescreen moving Williams to LT. I think he has the job to lose. I think the Bears are giving Webb a chance to compete so it wont hurt his ego being sat on the bench. Why would you move your starting guard to LT if you didnt want him to start. If that were really the case then Williams would be trying to keep his job from Spencer and not dueling Webb

Truthfully, I have no idea why Williams is getting no shot at the starting OG spot. Last year until he got injured, I thought he had a few good games and was just starting to adapt at that spot.

Now, all of a sudden it's starting LT or bust, and at one OG spot, they're going to just hand Chris Spencer the job, where last year I thought he was the 2nd worst OL, behind Webb.

It's kind of confusing. I'd prefer Webb-Williams-Garza-Louis-Carimi. If Williams is truly the best LT, then Williams-Spencer-Garza-Louis-Carimi, but unfortunately, I don't think Williams will have a fair shot at winning the LT spot.

I think the competition is a good idea. We know that Williams can be the OG, but Webb is a big ?. So if Williams can win the job we'll have solid depth for the OL.

IMHO I think thise is a smokescreen moving Williams to LT. I think he has the job to lose. I think the Bears are giving Webb a chance to compete so it wont hurt his ego being sat on the bench. Why would you move your starting guard to LT if you didnt want him to start. If that were really the case then Williams would be trying to keep his job from Spencer and not dueling Webb

I agree 100% and I stated as much earlier.

That being said, Webb got most of the time with the #1's today. It's early though.

Disagree on all counts.

I think it is an open competition to bring out the best of A)Williams, who has unachieved thus far and B)Webb, who needs to develop.

To answer your question; you move your starting guard because you have a greater need at tackle and that was the position he was drafted and paid handsomely for. Williams probably jumped at the shot when given it, knowing that he would not be given the chance to go back to OG.(as would any football player with a little pride) The loser of the battle will need to be the swing tackle for the greater good of the team. Does anyone think that both of our starting OT's will go the entire season without missing time? Odds are not in favor of that. Carimi's knee worries the hell out of me.

Plus, they don't give a damn about Webb's ego. He's now in his 3rd year and was the worst starting LT in the NFL.(That's humble pie)

From what I just read in the Trib and Times Webb is going to be our LT. Factors from Williams

being placed at RT, when it was his turn to start at LT and his confusion on what happened. They could have easily put Webb at RT today. Just speculation as I'm reading between the lines.

Offensive coordinator Mike Tice said Tuesday that Williams would practice with the first team Wednesday but instead J'Marcus Webb, who started all 16 games there last season, spent the second consecutive day there. The players had been rotating days. Efforts to get Tice for comment were unsuccessful because the team allows assistant coaches to speak with media only one day per week.

"What some people think, I don't know about that," Smith said when asked if too much could be read into the competition being over? "We have a system and a rotation that we're looking at. We want to get a good look at everyone and that's what we're doing right now. What position are we talking about?"

Trib

It's a good point you bring up. And I think it truly speaks to how bad Webb was that they're not even considering Williams at OG. They know they NEED Williams at the LT spot instead of Webb. Therefore, the OG spot is absolutely open.

As for preferring Webb-Williams-Whatever, there is no way I agree with that. Webb just sucks, and shouldn't be starting on an NFL team at LT.

I prefer any of the following:

Williams - Rachal - Garza - Louis - Carimi

Williams - Spencer - Garza - Louis - Carimi

An equally interesting question is why they don't use this as an opportunity to put Garza back and his more familiar position (OG), and put Spencer in at his more familiar position ©. Afterall, Spencer was signed to replace Kreutz at Center, why not use him there?

Ideally the line would be:

Williams - Garza - Spencer - Louis - Carimi

I think the whole thing is a ruse to entertain us while upgrading the swing tackle spot. I dont think Williams was very good at guard last year, and he isnt good enough to start at tackle....but he is an upgrade over Omiyale. Ideally Webb plays to his potential because his potential is greater than Williams. If you lined up all of these guys and asked if they all played to potential you would surely have Louis Webb and Carimi manning spots. Caveat being they play to their ceilings.

I think the whole thing is a ruse to entertain us while upgrading the swing tackle spot. I dont think Williams was very good at guard last year, and he isnt good enough to start at tackle....but he is an upgrade over Omiyale. Ideally Webb plays to his potential because his potential is greater than Williams. If you lined up all of these guys and asked if they all played to potential you would surely have Louis Webb and Carimi manning spots. Caveat being they play to their ceilings.

There is no longer battles for positions, Webb is winning over Williams and they plan to use Williams as the swing tackle. I dont think they will consider him at guard anymore since we have more question marks at OT. Can Webb be consistent? Will Carmi remain healthy? Can Brown play at this level? We have more of a need at OT so they will leave him there. I have never been sold on Williams, I think he is just an average OL and can find a spot to start on a bad OL so he is a good backup. Good luck with Webb and hope he gets better.

Definitely sounds like Webb has the inside track on the position and Williams takes the swing tackle roll...it's at the point of the Trib running articles suggesting that Williams could be on the trading block.

If that happens, I will lose all faith in the staff. That being said, I highly doubt it will happen. If we all remember correctly, Webb looked great in camp last year. Also, Carimi has not proven durable as of yet.

Well Tice in a interview said neither made a move to wow the staff, so it goes to the incumbent for right now. The "right now" is what I got more out of. If Webb does again what he did last year( which I doubt with really no camp) then they will pull the plug on him for Williams. Either way for me, with the loss of continuous 7 step drops I see Webb holding his own. He is no Orlando Pace in his prime thats for sure.