McClellin getting pushed around...

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor
never woulda thought that.... oh wait Ya I completely did. I know its TC, never put any stock into it... But this will go down as epic bust

dam tryin to stir the pot and nobody bites????

dam tryin to stir the pot and nobody bites????

He needs to get pushed around so he can get into that game day mold.Now that he know what it will be like to get into the heated action he can define his techniques and assess what he needs to do to get better, quicker and around the blockers. Now I bet he has a new plan.

This isn't all that surprising. I was skeptical of the selection back in April and I still am. He doesn't seem to be strong enough. He seems fast, but that's about it. He also doesn't seem BIG enough (6'3" and 260 just doesn't cut it for an NFL 4-3 DE, I would assume). Call me crazy and looking too much into it, but he also seems too nice. He's always smiling and making appearances and tweeting fans back. He seems to enjoy the fame, which I can't blame him for, but he seems at ease with his life already.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but until he can get to opposing quarterbacks against STARTING caliber offensive lines (unlike at Bourbonnais, where the only QB he can get to is Blanchard playing against the 3rd string OL), I'm going to remain skeptical.

Hopefully the Jeffery and Rodriguez selections can make the 2012 draft a good one when we look back on it in 3 years.

Nope, I fully expected he'd struggle in run defense. What I was hoping for is that he'd show the quick burst and ability to turn the corner and that reportedly has been apparent to everyone at camp. That burst is something we didn't have on the roster and is not something you can coach into a player. Knowing he can secure the outside edge is enough to keep a guy like Rodgers from rolling out of the pocket to his right which he loves to do to extend plays. Of course that means he was rolling away from Peppers. I think this will also give the guys on the inside another half second or more to get to the QB as well.

What else I like is SMC's work ethic. During interviews it is obvious how hard he was working, plus his honesty is his performance and expectations for himself. With no expectations of having anything handed to him, he'll improve as the season goes along.

This isn't all that surprising. I was skeptical of the selection back in April and I still am. He doesn't seem to be strong enough. He seems fast, but that's about it. He also doesn't seem BIG enough (6'3" and 260 just doesn't cut it for an NFL 4-3 DE, I would assume). Call me crazy and looking too much into it, but he also seems too nice. He's always smiling and making appearances and tweeting fans back. He seems to enjoy the fame, which I can't blame him for, but he seems at ease with his life already.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but until he can get to opposing quarterbacks against STARTING caliber offensive lines (unlike at Bourbonnais, where the only QB he can get to is Blanchard playing against the 3rd string OL), I'm going to remain skeptical.

Hopefully the Jeffery and Rodriguez selections can make the 2012 draft a good one when we look back on it in 3 years.

I think you are looking too much into it as you say. As for being to nice...that will change the more he gets pushed around. I will hold off on judgement of him...because remember that Denver's DE Elvis Dumervil is 5-11, 260 , Indy's Dwight Freeney DE 6-1, 268, Robert Mathis DE 6-2, 245, so he does not have to be the biggest guy, but if he plays like these guys with that high motor then we will be good.

Guest TerraTor
I think you are looking too much into it as you say. As for being to nice...that will change the more he gets pushed around. I will hold off on judgement of him...because remember that Denver's DE Elvis Dumervil is 5-11, 260 , Indy's Dwight Freeney DE 6-1, 268, Robert Mathis DE 6-2, 245, so he does not have to be the biggest guy, but if he plays like these guys with that high motor then we will be good.

Freeny is a freak of nature.... McClellin.stood out on a scrub defense... hell be gone in two years... and it will prove Lovie makes the 1st Rd picks......

No reason to pass on Chandler Jones and Mercilus...

Guest TerraTor

side note.. entire draft outside Jeffrey was awful... Hardin was seriously pathetic pick...

Where are you seeing this?? Only thing I found was the following.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id...-shea-mcclellin

He made a nice play to bat down a Jason Campbell pass after penetrating the pocket, and he also had a first step on many of the offensive linemen he faced in 1-on-1 drills before getting pushed around the pocket on several occasions. I viewed the latter as a function of developing technique more than limited skills.

"What we're trying to do is give [McClellin] a base in the fundamentals," Marinelli said, "without giving them too much so they lose their aggression."

Perhaps someone was just pulling the being pushed around statement without the context?? Can't find anything else on the subject.

Here's the assessment of Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli of rookie defensive end Shea McClellin through six training camp practices at Olivet Nazarene University:

"He has the tools and he has the mental toughness to him, but he's extremely hard on himself. And it's hard to rush when you're hard on yourself. You just have to let it go.

"He's kind of thinking a little bit right now instead of just going. And every day, that will get better. The spotlight is on him and all those things. He just has to play ball, have fun, and smile.''

As the first-round pick walked off the practice field Wednesday to fans screaming his name, McClellin admitted he might be pressing.

"Being a rookie and all, you kind of do that,'' he said. "I just have to get past that and do my thing … have fun and get better.''

Today's Shea

You know what always gets me about guys like Terra, and he isn't the only one... They actually root against guys they "called" during the draft to build themselves up ragardless of what's best for the team. He'd rather see this guy suck so he could pat himself on the back then see him round into form as the season approaches and kick ass on Sundays this year. Obviously the latest news is very good and Terra disappears.

I think a little Full Metal Jacket is needed here...

You know what always gets me about guys like Terra, and he isn't the only one... They actually root against guys they "called" during the draft to build themselves up ragardless of what's best for the team. He'd rather see this guy suck so he could pat himself on the back then see him round into form as the season approaches and kick ass on Sundays this year. Obviously the latest news is very good and Terra disappears.

I think a little Full Metal Jacket is needed here...

I don't think that's true, and I don't think it's one or the other. I think that a lot of time we get in such heated debates on this forum - I imagine it's the same on most forums - that we want to tell another users "I told you so" while high-fiving the same user for a Bears win. Personally, I'd rather see every single draft pick and free agency signing work out, while the Bears go on to a decade of Super Bowl dominance. But since that's not reality, and we ultimately have nothing to do with the players' success or failure, it comes down to our previous prognostications and evaluations. It's supporting evidence for our claims, our evaluations, and our desires for the Bears' future moves.

For instance, I would LOVE if Webb turned into a dominant probowler on the left side. We could finally end the LT discussions. But all indications say that's not going to happen. And as long as the Bears stick to him, and people defend him, it's worth noting his failures. It's also worth noting how long the failures have existed, not to mention the subsequent hindrance to the team's success. So in future years, if I want the Bears to draft a LT I'll have a sound reason for it, and when others disagree I can't point to Webb's failings. The desire to see the Bears win supersedes the "I told you so."

All things being equal, Terra and just about everyone else (I assume) would love if there were nothing to complain about. It'd be great to just watch Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

McClellin makes eye-opening plays at Bears' practice

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,4607155.story

Sounds like he's making progress and that he's starting to get to the QB. You put his speed in space and he should make plays. The development with his hand on the ground will take time but the potential and tools are there. Seems like he's a very hard worker too.

Guest TerraTor
All things being equal, Terra and just about everyone else (I assume) would love if there were nothing to complain about. It'd be great to just watch Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

Thank you sir