Generic TC news/articles

balta1701-A

Long ESPN blog about mostly stuff we've already heard, but here's a bunch of from-the-camp details.

We've discussed the likelihood of Bush serving as the Bears' short-yardage and goal-line back. At 245 pounds, Bush is better suited and has had more career success in that role than starter Matt Forte. But Bush made clear he would rather not be pigeon-holed in that manner. "That's the role I've been stuck with because of my size," he said. "If that's what I've got to do, then that's what I've got to do. … No one likes to be a battering ram. It just happens that way." Regardless, it makes too much sense not to at least give that arrangement a long look.

Cutler and Marshall arrived for lunch together on the first day of practice. They broke open a new critical-thinking board game at night, which Marshall referred to as "Q." (Cutler won the first two games.) But Marshall said the pair's much-discussed friendship is "not always fun." He added: "In any relationship, when you take two people from two different places and you put them together, you butt heads. Because sometimes we try to impose our own wills on each other. But sometimes you understand there is no right and wrong. It's just two different people. I think that's when the relationship gets better. With Jay and I, it's always some work."

Perhaps their friendship made our expectations unreasonably high, but I was surprised by how many miscommunications Cutler and Marshall had in their first few practices. On Day 1 alone, I counted five passes that either hit the ground or were intercepted because Cutler threw one way and Marshall ran another. But we found out in the third practice how little that mattered. Cutler and Marshall put on a show in full pads, wowing fans and players who can't remember the last time the Bears had a true No. 1 receiver.

Tice will undoubtedly use tight ends more in the passing game than predecessor Mike Martz, and the Bears have accumulated an interesting group to deal with. Kellen Davis figures as the starter with Matt Spaeth as the top blocker. But it's certainly worth pointing out that rookie Evan Rodriguez, a fourth-round draft pick from Temple, appeared in much better shape than he was reported to be in this spring and seemed to have a knack for turning upfield quickly after the catch. "This game is about explosion," Rodriguez said. (There's that word again.) Rodriguez added: "Everybody in this league is so fast. You've really got to push to get that five yards, and then after that, it's every inch that matters."

Rookie safety Brandon Hardin is getting work on all four special teams, including a role as the personal protector on punts. It's also worth noting that when free safety Chris Conte briefly left practice Saturday night, it was Hardin who stepped in with the first team. "I'm looking forward to helping the team in that special-teams aspect until I get on the field as a safety," Hardin said.

Although there is uncertainty at left tackle, the return of 2011 draft choice Gabe Carimi has added a level of stability to the right side. Carimi reported to training camp in excellent condition, having dropped his weight to 308 pounds and lowered his body fat form 26 percent to 19 percent by changing his diet in the offseason. "The goal was to have more muscle mass," he said.

The Bears' immediate plans are to use rookie defensive end Shea McClellin as a situational pass- rusher. In that scenario, Israel Idonije would hold a starting spot opposite Peppers. I didn't see any examples of it early in camp, but you wonder if the Bears would be tempted to use Idonije as an inside pass-rusher, with McClellin on the edge, in obvious passing downs. Another candidate to be an inside pass-rusher is newcomer Brian Price.

The Bears' immediate plans are to use rookie defensive end Shea McClellin as a situational pass- rusher.

Wasn't that one of the initial problems that most people had with the McClellin selection?

If the guy is only a situational pass rusher long term then that's probably a little bit of a failing yeah. Starting there as a rookie on a deep team with Peppers on the other end? I can live with that for a year. Would be disappointing to get the guy and have him not immediately make an impact as a situational rusher, and would be disappointing for him not to be able to play every down at some point.

Here is an article I found about my guy Alshon. Ive watched this kid like a hawk through college and was obsessed ever since. He may appear big and slow but in game speed this dude BEASTS. I know that there are high expectations for him as well as constant chatter on here about him but he is going to be the real deal. Anyways, the article talks mostly to Brandon Marshall about how he is the teacher to Alshon but that Alshon is doing plenty of teaching himself.

Marshall Impressed with Alshon

Here is an article I found about my guy Alshon. Ive watched this kid like a hawk through college and was obsessed ever since. He may appear big and slow but in game speed this dude BEASTS. I know that there are high expectations for him as well as constant chatter on here about him but he is going to be the real deal. Anyways, the article talks mostly to Brandon Marshall about how he is the teacher to Alshon but that Alshon is doing plenty of teaching himself.

Nice find.

NFL.com did a "top 5 rookies we've seen during TC so far" list and Jeffery was #2 behind Tampa's Doug Martin.

Guest TerraTor
The Bears' immediate plans are to use rookie defensive end Shea McClellin as a situational pass- rusher.

Wasn't that one of the initial problems that most people had with the McClellin selection?

sit pass rusher @ 19.... nice

I think we need him play some games before we put the hammer down. Camp just started and we have him a bust, let him prove he is a bust before we announce it.

Agreed! Please don't let one article saying he was manhandled label him. The article was apparently written to keep the pot stirring. Lets give these rookies some time to adjust to the NFL. I remember reading people saying the Urlacher pick was a bust his rookie year. One thing for sure is these kids have drive to succeed and they know they are on a hungry team with superstars in pursuit of a ring.

Agreed! Please don't let one article saying he was manhandled label him. The article was apparently written to keep the pot stirring. Lets give these rookies some time to adjust to the NFL. I remember reading people saying the Urlacher pick was a bust his rookie year. One thing for sure is these kids have drive to succeed and they know they are on a hungry team with superstars in pursuit of a ring.

I think the article was written because it is what is happening in practices. I agree with your statement on Urlacher, another talented player forced to switch positions in the NFL and it took him time before he settled down. If SMC is a situational pass rusher this year then I'm ok with that. If he's a situational pass rusher 3 years from now then I'm not. We've only had three practices in pads so far and zero games. It's obvious SMC has the work ethic to improve and I think he will, and well before 3 seasons have gone by but it won't be right out of the gate.

Why isn't there as much hand-wringing about Alshon Jeffrey getting manhandled in press coverage? Because we expect WRs to take time to develop and get used to the pro game.

Can't wait to give GB a dose of their own medicine..

"In a live goal-line drill Tuesday, Cutler rifled a perfect back-shoulder touchdown pass to Marshall"

In other news Jennings is having a very good camp showing much better ball skills than last year. His competition, Hayden, has also done some good things against Brandon Marshall. Even Frey has looked good in coverage. Could we finally have some depth at CB this year?

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8935

In other news Jennings is having a very good camp showing much better ball skills than last year. His competition, Hayden, has also done some good things against Brandon Marshall. Even Frey has looked good in coverage. Could we finally have some depth at CB this year?

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8935

I think we do. Hayden has been the one jamming Jeffery too. Non CB related: I really think Brandin Hardin was drafted to play over the top safety on Megatron.

All this talk is simply a bunch of drunks that have been on the wagon getting a taste of Dewar's. The bottle of Macallan will be passed around in a bout 4 weeks. Any news, we're soaking up like a dry desert soaking up the rain. We best not read too much or too little.

Carimi a force early at RT...

http://www.csnchicago.com/football-chicago...mp;feedID=10330

Do we believe what we are reading, or should we not buy into it because he is probably a force against Shea?

All this talk is simply a bunch of drunks that have been on the wagon getting a taste of Dewar's. The bottle of Macallan will be passed around in a bout 4 weeks. Any news, we're soaking up like a dry desert soaking up the rain. We best not read too much or too little.

I agree, thats why I take all of it with a grain of salt.

Is there a way to link to Trib articles so that the popup doesn't come up, and then lead a viewer to the main page? It's infuriating to see the popup and then not get redirected to the page I want.

You just need to setup an account. Those articles are for "members" only. No cost currently associated with membership

Is there a way to link to Trib articles so that the popup doesn't come up, and then lead a viewer to the main page? It's infuriating to see the popup and then not get redirected to the page I want.

Yes, gotta give them the generic email address so they can spam you. I forgot about that.

What a welcomed change it would be if Jeffery turns out to be a real beast. How many WR's have we picked that have busted, or failed to pan out here, how many have actually become impact payers. Bennet is a dependable receiver but he is more of a possession receiver, Knox was a decent pic for a 5th rounder. Not bringing Hester into this as he wasn't drafted as a WR. We have drafted a lot of duds especially high up in the early rounds. Wouldn't it be a nice change if Jeffery gives us an impact presence opposite Marshall, allowing Bennet and Hester to round out the group. When was the last time we had a serious dual threat at WR along with a Franchise QB. If Jeffery pans out It will be nice to see a Bears team with a great tandem of Cutler, Marshall, Jeffery, Bennet, and Hester through the air, and oh by the way you still need to be concerned about a Forte & Bush backfield. I"m not going to assume anything about Jeffery till he proves it when the games count, but just thinking how nice that would be, after all these years of having a joke of a WR corp to boasting one that has two big threats.