Benson signs with the Pack

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Wonder if Briggs & Co. will "welcome" him back to the division?

They had their shot in 2009 in Cincinnati and Benson had 190 yards and a TD.

thats scrapin the bottom of the barrel

Since 2009, he's had 1000+ yards and 6+ TD's each year. That's not really bad. I'm shocked it took him this long to find a team.

Guest TerraTor
They had their shot in 2009 in Cincinnati and Benson had 190 yards and a TD.

Since 2009, he's had 1000+ yards and 6+ TD's each year. That's not really bad. I'm shocked it took him this long to find a team.

because he is a moron and a cancer

There was an interview he did a few weeks back where he got all emotional and wondered why no one would take a chance on him. This was also after he stated he wouldn't accept the veteran minimum salary.

He was solid for the Bengals, I wouldn't take the vet minimum either if I was him.

With Thomas Jones being the featured back and the defense dragging them there.

Did I say Benson was the reason? No. My point is that if he was such a cancer and such a bad person, why didn't he drag the team down? He wasn't a "cancer." He was a second year player who thought he was better than he was.

As for the "defense dragging them there," is Grossman EVER going to get his credit for that year. Yeah, he had bad games. Yeah, he wasn't elite. He was a middle-of-the-road QB who had good games and bad games. Let's not act like Kyle Orton was any better (same defense in 2005.. why didn't he get to the Super Bowl?) and let's not act like the Bears won every game in 2006 10-7 like they seemingly did in 2005.

In '06, they scored: 34 vs DET, 37 vs SEA, 40 vs BUF, 41 vs SF, 38 vs NYG, 34 vs TB, 28 vs STL (if you take away 2 Hester returns), 26 vs DET.

Yes, he did need the defense vs ARZ, GB, NYJ, MIN x2. Yes, he was terrible vs MIA.

Again, I'm not saying the D sucked nor am I saying that Grossman was the reason for them getting there. But when the defense wasn't great, Grossman was good most of the time. To say "the only reason they got to the Super Bowl was because of Thomas Jones and the defense" is insane.

Also, let's not forget Hester's impact on that season... He single-handedly won us a few games.

Did I say Benson was the reason? No. My point is that if he was such a cancer and such a bad person, why didn't he drag the team down? He wasn't a "cancer." He was a second year player who thought he was better than he was.

As for the "defense dragging them there," is Grossman EVER going to get his credit for that year. Yeah, he had bad games. Yeah, he wasn't elite. He was a middle-of-the-road QB who had good games and bad games. Let's not act like Kyle Orton was any better (same defense in 2005.. why didn't he get to the Super Bowl?) and let's not act like the Bears won every game in 2006 10-7 like they seemingly did in 2005.

In '06, they scored: 34 vs DET, 37 vs SEA, 40 vs BUF, 41 vs SF, 38 vs NYG, 34 vs TB, 28 vs STL (if you take away 2 Hester returns), 26 vs DET.

Yes, he did need the defense vs ARZ, GB, NYJ, MIN x2. Yes, he was terrible vs MIA.

Again, I'm not saying the D sucked nor am I saying that Grossman was the reason for them getting there. But when the defense wasn't great, Grossman was good most of the time. To say "the only reason they got to the Super Bowl was because of Thomas Jones and the defense" is insane.

Also, let's not forget Hester's impact on that season... He single-handedly won us a few games.

Exactly. So without Hester, they score 31 on the Giants, 19 on the Packers, 28 on the Rams. IIRC, there were no defensive TD's in those games, so I guess they magically scored those points.

Wait, no. I'm wrong. Grossman went 5-0 in his first 5 games with 10 TD's and only 3 INT's. And then against Tampa and St Louis, when the defense gave up 31 and 27 points respectively, Grossman had 4 TD's and 0 INT's in the 2 games combined. Or how about when the defense gave up 20 against the Giants and 21 vs Detroit, and Grossman had 4 TD's and 1 INT combined in those two? But wait, he had a bad game against the Cards, so what did he do the next week? Put up 40 on San Francisco with 3 TD's.

By my count, that's 10 wins thanks to him. Interesting how Bears' fans forget such a thing and want to believe Kyle Orton was good when he couldn't throw a ball further than my own mother.

Again, Grossman had bad games like every QB does. He sucked in Arizona, he sucked vs Green Bay at home, he sucked vs Minnesota at home and was just average in Minnesota, and yes he was awful vs Miami.

Because Rex Grossman took over at the end of the season and lost in the play offs?

Oh that's why? So Lovie just took Orton out because he was SO productive just for shits and giggles and to say if the team would still be as good? Because Grossman went 2-1 to end the season, and scored 21 points in the playoff loss. Yeah, his fault. With Orton, the Bears score 30 and beat Carolina and win the Super Bowl.

I'm not here to argue Grossman...I'm just saying Hester had a huge impact on that year and it wasn't all running, passing and D... He put special teams on the map as a legit force almost worthy of the O and D components of a game. Who on this board didn't think we'd win that damn SB after that return?

Exactly. So without Hester, they score 31 on the Giants, 19 on the Packers, 28 on the Rams. IIRC, there were no defensive TD's in those games, so I guess they magically scored those points.

Wait, no. I'm wrong. Grossman went 5-0 in his first 5 games with 10 TD's and only 3 INT's. And then against Tampa and St Louis, when the defense gave up 31 and 27 points respectively, Grossman had 4 TD's and 0 INT's in the 2 games combined. Or how about when the defense gave up 20 against the Giants and 21 vs Detroit, and Grossman had 4 TD's and 1 INT combined in those two? But wait, he had a bad game against the Cards, so what did he do the next week? Put up 40 on San Francisco with 3 TD's.

By my count, that's 10 wins thanks to him. Interesting how Bears' fans forget such a thing and want to believe Kyle Orton was good when he couldn't throw a ball further than my own mother.

Again, Grossman had bad games like every QB does. He sucked in Arizona, he sucked vs Green Bay at home, he sucked vs Minnesota at home and was just average in Minnesota, and yes he was awful vs Miami.

Oh that's why? So Lovie just took Orton out because he was SO productive just for shits and giggles and to say if the team would still be as good? Because Grossman went 2-1 to end the season, and scored 21 points in the playoff loss. Yeah, his fault. With Orton, the Bears score 30 and beat Carolina and win the Super Bowl.

IMHO we won because of a total team effort ....not just the D, not Grossman and not Hester. We won or lost because all the players either played their ass off or they didn't. So it's true the D kep us close, Rex won some shoot outs and Hester scored the winning TD agaibst the Cardinals. But the bigger question is "why didn't we win the Super Bowl that year leading 17-6 at the half?

You asked why Orton didn't get the team to the Super Bowl, pretty simple he was replaced. It's hard to get there when you aren't playing, yet he did get the team a first round bye in the play offs. Grossman threw an int when the Bears were down 8 points to Carolina with the game is in reach. "Rex Grossman is our Quarterback."

To be fair, that year Orton wasn't good. He didn't single handedly try his best to lose games, ala Rex vs. Arizona. But, Orton was drafted in the 4th round to be the 3rd string QB, getting barely in reps due to being behing Hutchison and Grossman. When Grossman got hurt, like every year, and Hutchison was an epic fail, Orton was thrusted into the starting roll.

Actually, the lack of productivity from Orton his rookie year that you brought up kind of proves yourself wrong. If the Bears were such a great team that they could go 10-5 and make the play offs with a first round bye when a rookie starts, then the rest of the team probably helped carry Grossman to the Super Bowl. Add in Mark Anderson getting 12 sacks his rookie year, and that could be the difference between a play off loss and a super bowl loss.

You asked why Orton didn't get the team to the Super Bowl, pretty simple he was replaced. It's hard to get there when you aren't playing, yet he did get the team a first round bye in the play offs. Grossman threw an int when the Bears were down 8 points to Carolina with the game is in reach. "Rex Grossman is our Quarterback."

To be fair, that year Orton wasn't good. He didn't single handedly try his best to lose games, ala Rex vs. Arizona. But, Orton was drafted in the 4th round to be the 3rd string QB, getting barely in reps due to being behing Hutchison and Grossman. When Grossman got hurt, like every year, and Hutchison was an epic fail, Orton was thrusted into the starting roll.

Actually, the lack of productivity from Orton his rookie year that you brought up kind of proves yourself wrong. If the Bears were such a great team that they could go 10-5 and make the play offs with a first round bye when a rookie starts, then the rest of the team probably helped carry Grossman to the Super Bowl. Add in Mark Anderson getting 12 sacks his rookie year, and that could be the difference between a play off loss and a super bowl loss.

So the Bears lead off the year with 19, 34, 37, 40, and 41 points in 5 of their first 7 games, and I'm supposedly to believe that the team carried Grossman to those point totals?

And BTW, the defense in 2005 was 2nd overall in ypg allowed. The defense in 2006 was 5th. Also, in 2006 the defense allowed 16 ppg while in 2005 it was under 13.

IMHO we won because of a total team effort ....not just the D, not Grossman and not Hester. We won or lost because all the players either played their ass off or they didn't. So it's true the D kep us close, Rex won some shoot outs and Hester scored the winning TD agaibst the Cardinals. But the bigger question is "why didn't we win the Super Bowl that year leading 17-6 at the half?

Agree. Vinatieri missed a FG and Hester led the game off with a KR TD. When he's missing and Hester is doing his thing, it was destiny. I guess not.

I'm not here to argue Grossman...I'm just saying Hester had a huge impact on that year and it wasn't all running, passing and D... He put special teams on the map as a legit force almost worthy of the O and D components of a game. Who on this board didn't think we'd win that damn SB after that return?

I think you misread my post. I was agreeing with you by saying that Hester won some games as did Grossman. The defense was GREAT that year but sometimes people forget that the offense was good and Hester was amazing.

So the Bears lead off the year with 19, 34, 37, 40, and 41 points in 5 of their first 7 games, and I'm supposedly to believe that the team carried Grossman to those point totals?

Grossman started off the season with good stats, no doubt, he also threw the most bad passes during that time too. I don't have a link since this is a 6 year old discussion, so I don't expect you to take my word on it.

Grossman had low end QB ratings that year of 64.9, 10.2, 36.8, 23.6, 1.3, and 0.0. The Bears went 3-3 in those games inspite of him.

In the play offs he never had a QB rating over 77, threw 3 TD's in 3 games, while having 3 ints and 3 fumbles 2 of which were lost. Throwing for 144 yards in the conference championship and 165 yards in the super bowl. He just wasn't that good, and personally I feel he hurt the team more than he helped them in the play offs.

I'll let the conversation go. It's old news, it's just a touchy subject for me.. To me, he was always a cancer that held the team back. Not in the TO kind of way, just in that he held the QB position in a stalemate for way too long because the team was so dedicated to his potential and he never produced.

I'll let the conversation go. It's old news, it's just a touchy subject for me.. To me, he was always a cancer that held the team back. Not in the TO kind of way, just in that he held the QB position in a stalemate for way too long because the team was so dedicated to his potential and he never produced.

Rex was not a cancer to the team....the team was its worst enemy because they failed to bring in draft or go after a really good QB in all the years Rex was here.Florida was known for having QB busts when they got to the NFL and Grossman was part of it. Here is a list of the FA avilable that year and who was drafted that year. Aside from Jake Plummer and Charlie batch...their were not any really QB'S to go after.

Free Agents

1. Jake Plummer, Arizona

2. Rob Johnson, Tampa Bay

3. Gus Frerotte, Cincinnati

4. Jeff Blake, Baltimore

5. Charlie Batch, Pittsburgh

6. Shaun King, Tampa Bay

7. Rodney Peete, Carolina

8. Shane Matthews, Washington

9. Tony Banks, Houston

10. Koy Detmer, Philadelphia

QB'S drafted in 2003

1 Cincinnati Carson Palmer QB USC

7 Jacksonville Byron Leftwich QB Marshall

19 Baltimore Kyle Boller QB California

22 Chicago Rex Grossman QB Florida

88 Houston Dave Ragone QB Louisville

97 Tampa Bay Chris Simms QB Texas

110 Seattle Seneca Wallace QB Iowa State

163 Pittsburgh Brian St. Pierre QB Boston College

192 Houston (Supplemental) Drew Henson QB Michigan

200 N.Y. Jets Brooks Bollinger QB Wisconsin

201 New England Kliff Kingsbury QB Texas Tech

232 Washington Gibran Hamdan QB Indiana

241 San Francisco Ken Dorsey QB Miami (Fla.)

1. Rex/Olin made some crucial mistakes in the snap exchange

2. The defensive scheme allowed Manning to dink and dunk all day with impunity

3. Grossman took all the wind out the sails with a all but game-ending pick-6

Mostly, though, it was poor offensive performance that cost the Bears. They shot their wad in the first quarter.