Jeffery picks up in practice

Wesson44

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8971

Rookie receiver Alshon Jeffery followed his impressive performance in Thursday night’s preseason opener with an equally strong effort on the practice field Saturday in Bourbonnais.

The second-round draft pick caught three touchdown passes in a red-zone drill, using his 6-3, 216-pound frame to leap high over defensive backs in the corner of the end zone on all three plays.

Bears rookie second-round draft choice Alshon Jeffery catches a pass in practice.

“As you look at receivers you want to see production,” said coach Lovie Smith. “From OTAs we were talking about how good his hands were, and I think that’s just carried on. He’s carried that to every situation we put him in. When you give a guy reps, you want to see him perform and make plays and he’s been doing that.”

Jeffery displayed excellent hands and route-running ability in Thursday night’s 31-3 preseason-opening loss to the Broncos, catching a game-high four passes for 34 yards in his first NFL game.

“He was one of the few guys we were pleased with as far as his effort and being able to make plays,” Smith said. “He’s a good football player and he’s getting more and more confidence.

“He’s got good size. He’s got excellent hands. As a rookie we see improvement from him. He takes coaching well. We could talk on him for a while. We’re so pleased with what he did.”

On one of Jeffery’s TD catches in Saturday’s practice, Bears general manager Phil Emery—who was standing near the end zone—ended any dispute about whether the receiver may have been out-of-bounds by raising his hands to signal “touchdown.”

In April, Emery traded up five spots to No.45 to nab a player the general manager told reporters the Bears had ranked as one of the top three receivers in the draft.

Six wideouts were selected ahead of Jeffery: Justin Blackmon (No. 5 by Jacksonville), Michael Floyd (No. 13 by Arizona), Kendall Wright (No. 20 by Tennessee), A.J. Jenkins (No. 30 by San Francisco), Brian Quick (No. 33 by St. Louis) and Stephen Hill (No. 43 by the Jets).

“We saw a big, dynamic athlete, playmaker falling and we decided that we were going to go after him,” Emery said after making the deal to land Jeffery.

“We feel that Alshon has the best hands in the draft. We feel that he is the best at adjusting to the ball. We feel he is the best sideline and end zone catcher in the draft. He’s dynamic with the ball in his hands. He’s a big man. He’s strong. He’s tough. He doesn’t go down without a fight.”

Jeffery, who entered the draft following his junior season, caught 183 passes for 3,042 yards and 23 touchdowns in 40 career games at South Carolina. His 3,042 yards are a school record and the second most in SEC history.

At training camp Saturday, the Bears distributed a mask featuring a picture of Jeffery’s face. But the gesture most likely won’t go to the soft-spoken receiver’s head, figuratively or literally.

“That’s for the fans. I don’t get into the hype and all,” Jeffery said softly. “I’m just trying to work every day and still trying to learn the offense and still trying to read coverages and make plays and play fast.”

Going to temper my expectations because he is a rookie WR after all, and in most cases, it takes at least a year for them to show their true potential. But Jeffery should be an asset when it comes to redzone targets and big play ability when Marshall is double teamed. I'm excited to see Cutler and Jeffery on the field together in pre-season game #3, if not game #2.

I loved watching this guy in college. I really wanted the Bears to get him. Very glad they did. I hope he turns out. Him and the beast could be a very nasty combo. Throw in Hester in the right role and it could be very hard to defend against those three with Cutler and Forte. Shit I even like K Davis as a recieiving TE.

If the Oline gives Cutler some time there should be a lot of options to go to.

I loved watching this guy in college. I really wanted the Bears to get him. Very glad they did. I hope he turns out. Him and the beast could be a very nasty combo. Throw in Hester in the right role and it could be very hard to defend against those three with Cutler and Forte. Shit I even like K Davis as a recieiving TE.

If the Oline gives Cutler some time there should be a lot of options to go to.

Don't forget about Bennett, who catches everything on 3rd down.

After just one game it's apparent that with both Marshall and Jeffrey on the outside teams will have to worry about big plays near the sideline and that means safeties will be needed to help out. You know Matt Forte will be smiling if he can get a lane to run through.

After just one game it's apparent that with both Marshall and Jeffrey on the outside teams will have to worry about big plays near the sideline and that means safeties will be needed to help out. You know Matt Forte will be smiling if he can get a lane to run through.

After watching last nights practice, Jeffery looked like he a man among boys. He stood out more than the others, maybe because he was targeted more so. I think if Cutler gets time to throw he will have a hay day. Even Kellen Davis made some spectacular catches.

Couple of other notes that caught my eye from last night:

Forte looks fast. I think he came in to camp in the best shape yet and will put up some monster numbers.

McClellin also looked fast on the edge. Not only does he have speed, but standing next to the rest of the dline, he looks like a monster. Give him a year or two on the NFL weights and if he can pick up some technique we will have a gem.

Our offensive line just can't cut it. Our d-line looked liked all stars on every play as they were penetrating and having to shut down to avoid hitting the qb. If we don't draft/add talent in next years draft which should be a deep one in OT's I will give up on drafting oline.

King was on the Herd this morning and talked about how good Jeffery has looked in camp. Herd is picking the Bears for the superbowl. King wasn't quite at that level of confidence, but indicated the team is clearly in the mix/discussion but the key is going to be the oline. Said the offense looked good last night (King was at Bears game) and Marshall has been a beast.

King was on the Herd this morning and talked about how good Jeffery has looked in camp. Herd is picking the Bears for the superbowl. King wasn't quite at that level of confidence, but indicated the team is clearly in the mix/discussion but the key is going to be the oline. Said the offense looked good last night (King was at Bears game) and Marshall has been a beast.

Herd? Are you referring to Colin Cowherd?