I know it is early and only one preseason game

adam

it sucks to see other potential 1st round draft picks excelling (per Rotowolrd):

Coples looked like the real deal, and afterwards coach Rex Ryan described his impact as "tremendous," even if Coples' snap-to-snap consistency was a bit lacking. Still, Coples was one of the most impressive first-round picks of the first week of preseason. Other high-impact first-round defenders included Whitney Mercilus, Luke Kuechly, Melvin Ingram, and Chandler Jones.

The Bears were linked to Coples, Mercilus, Ingram, and Jones at some point before the draft. I really hope McClellin proves the doubters wrong, but right now he is sort of behind the power curve.

Guest TerraTor
it sucks to see other potential 1st round draft picks excelling (per Rotowolrd):

The Bears were linked to Coples, Mercilus, Ingram, and Jones at some point before the draft. I really hope McClellin proves the doubters wrong, but right now he is sort of behind the power curve.

Rex Ryan has no credibilty whatsoever... I am honestly to the point where i cant stomach nfl-network ( except Mayock)....

As much as i hate our pick, all this talk is garbage til the games count..

You're right, it is too early. Most of those guys you listed probably got more chat time from the various "experts" who put out a gazillion mock drafts before the actual draft. Just because they (players) may have done well in week one, it doesn't mean anything more than those guys ("experts") trying to justify their hot air. McClellin did fine in his debut and for that matter Jeffery played just as well as a first rounder for his position did and he's a second rounder.

You remember all thr press Brady got before he was drafted? Well ok, maybe he didnt get that much hype. How about the first QB selected in thr first round that year, Chad Pennington, hows he doing these days? So let's just sit back and relax for now and enjoy it for what it is, preseason aka glorified scrimmage.

By the by, Mayock is a tool.

Rex Ryan has no credibilty whatsoever... I am honestly to the point where i cant stomach nfl-network ( except Mayock)....

As much as i hate our pick, all this talk is garbage til the games count..

I dunno, you can't say none of this counts as assessments are always ongoing. From college, to OTA's, to preseason games, to the regular season, there is some translation between those.

As a person who was not completely on board with the McClellin pick, it should come as a surprise that I completely disagree with your thoughts about him. He's not behind the curve at all. Unless you want Rex Ryan say great things about him.

McClellin looked pretty damn good in the one preseason game he has played. While he had a play or two in run defense where he didn't play well, he more than made up for it in other plays/ways. I counted 8 different plays where he had significant impact, and just about each of them were impressive in one way or another. And since he certainly wasn't drafted for run defense, I'd say his production in one game was great.

As a person who was not completely on board with the McClellin pick, it should come as a surprise that I completely disagree with your thoughts about him. He's not behind the curve at all. Unless you want Rex Ryan say great things about him.

McClellin looked pretty damn good in the one preseason game he has played. While he had a play or two in run defense where he didn't play well, he more than made up for it in other plays/ways. I counted 8 different plays where he had significant impact, and just about each of them were impressive in one way or another. And since he certainly wasn't drafted for run defense, I'd say his production in one game was great.

What he said.

Also, Coples, Kuechly and Ingram were all gone at the Bears' pick.

What he said.

Also, Coples, Kuechly and Ingram were all gone at the Bears' pick.

None of the preseason matters as far as opinion goes. What they do in real games is all that matters and we will see when the time comes. Everybody is praising or condeming at this point, because of where they were drafted. We all want our draft picks to look great but the reality is where they are at in year 2 or 3. A lot of high draft picks didnt excel in there first year and turned out great. We unfortuantely have to wait to see. Once in a while a Cam Newton pops up, but realisticly its a wait and see game. I hope he makes a contriubution in his first year, but history says that doesnt mean the most in a NFL players career, its about his career as an overview.

I thought McClellin played well for his first game at a new position. He got washed out on a double team at the goal line and some are making a big deal about that. He wasn't drafted to be a goal line defender. The point is he fills a spot on our roster as a speed rusher which we have not had for some time. If he can chase down Hanie like that he'll be chasing down Aaron Rodgers too. More important to me than chasing down Hanie was his ability to get upfield and turn the corner. He has also added a spin move and for a guy who has never done that before he did it effectively a couple times. Give him some time and experience and I think we'll have a good player. He's already come a long way in just two weeks of practice at DE.

I absolutely hated the pick. Yet, I can't think of a Bears rookie that has impressed me as much in his first preseason game as he did. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how he develops now, instead of being in wait and see a few years down the road mode that I was in before that game.

Great post jason. I truly respect your take... I'm seeing the same myself. I had no idea what we were getting, I was just hoping Emery struck silver... Gold would be amazing, but a silver guy would be a huge plus. As long as he's not foolsgold, we should be OK.