Urlacher undergoes knee surgery

xvflutop

I don't care if he's back for Indy. I want to know that he'll be back and healthy by the middle to the end of the year. I don't want to rush the guy back if it means we will never have a healthy Urlacher (and maybe we just won't ever have a healthy Urlacher).

There is clearly something going on here and the Bears are being incredibly secretive about it.

Knee is 100% my ass. I posted back in April or May saying i was worried about him not pushing his knee very hard yet. I thought it was strange.

Makes sense now, he was not pushing it hard with hopes that rest would do the trick. Looks like rest did not do it.

Sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks

Wonder how important Lovie thinks the last game of the season is now??

Hope that scope did the trick and he is ok soon!!!

Its interesting because Urlacher seems to be having similar issues to when I strained my mcl and tore my meniscus. No surgery was required, rest and rehab is what I did, but anytime my knee made contact with anything, it would explode for a couple weeks (and I'd lose all movement). Slowly it would swell less and eventually it calmed down, but that was literally like 2 years removed from the injury.

That said I'm not a professional athlete and I wasn't consistently going to therapists when it did swell. I would whack it on something (usually by diving during a baseball game) (so physically cause it stress), which would cause it to blow up for about a week to 2 (depending on how bad of a blow).

Same surgery Carimi had this past offseason to clean things up inside the knee. I doubt Urlacher will be ready for Indy. He needs to first get pain free and then get the strength back in his knee before contact. I'd say at least 4-6 weeks is needed and the Bears should take a cautious approach with him.

Same surgery Carimi had this past offseason to clean things up inside the knee. I doubt Urlacher will be ready for Indy. He needs to first get pain free and then get the strength back in his knee before contact. I'd say at least 4-6 weeks is needed and the Bears should take a cautious approach with him.

Aren't there lots of levels of "arthroscopic surgery"?

Debridement is a cleaning procedure. With Urlacher tearing his meniscus there can be floating fragements that create inflammation with movement. Recovery time is minimal because there is minimal cutting and no structural change. I would imagine that we will see him a little in game one and increase reps in games after that with him full time by game three.

Same one Roach had in 2010 too and he was back in 18 days.

Guest TerraTor
If he's back in 18 days like Roach, he'll be ready for practice 9/2 (or 9/3, because I don't think they'll practice on a Sunday), which would mean he'd have anywhere from 6-7 days to practice before week 1.

Id let.him sit Week 1 if there is any little hint hes not at 100

Debridement is a cleaning procedure. With Urlacher tearing his meniscus there can be floating fragements that create inflammation with movement. Recovery time is minimal because there is minimal cutting and no structural change. I would imagine that we will see him a little in game one and increase reps in games after that with him full time by game three.

Good info on the scope. Although I disagree with how we'll use him. Under Lovie, I can't remember us ever using an every down player like Urlacher and working him in slowly. Either they are 100% and can play the whole game or they are inactive.

I feel like we've worked guys like Hester in slowly, but he's a little different since his playing time is always sporadic. If the defense is on the field, Urlacher is on the field.

Post surgery update/interview.

"I feel good. Better,’’ Urlacher said. "I feel relief right now.’’

Urlacher originally had no intentions of getting his knee scoped. He and the team decided to go forward with the procedure Monday night.

When pressed about a timetable for returning to practice, Urlacher didn’t budge.

"Sept. 9, that’s all I care about,’’ he said.

"The scope is a one-to-two week, I guess, recovery, so it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me,’’ Urlacher said. "It’s the first time I’ve had something done on my knee, so it’s a little different. But if I’m going to have something done, that’s the thing to be done.’’

``It could be some, there might not be any, I don't know,'' he said. ``I'm sure it's not going to feel comfortable all season long. I don't think after the first game, anyone is healthy.''

• 2 weeks later...