The Draft and Free Agency

jason

Until the following changes, I forsee the same problems we saw tonight.

2012 - DL: 1, OL: 0

2011 - DL: 2, OL: 1

2010 - DL: 4, OL: 7

2009 - DL: 3,4, OL: 7

2008 - DL: 3,7, OL: 1,7

2007 - DL: 2, OL: 4, 7

2006 - DL: 3,5, OL: 6

That's two first round LTs, one of which was an injury question mark coming out of college. Otherwise, OL is pretty much disregarded by this franchise. But DL? Every single year it gets attention. And that's just the draft picks! Don't forget about Gaines Adams.

But, yeah, let's solve the problem by trading next year's 7th rounder for another OLineman. That'll work. :rolleyes:

Sold.

Until the following changes, I forsee the same problems we saw tonight.

2012 - DL: 1, OL: 0

2011 - DL: 2, OL: 1

2010 - DL: 4, OL: 7

2009 - DL: 3,4, OL: 7

2008 - DL: 3,7, OL: 1,7

2007 - DL: 2, OL: 4, 7

2006 - DL: 3,5, OL: 6

That's two first round LTs, one of which was an injury question mark coming out of college. Otherwise, OL is pretty much disregarded by this franchise. But DL? Every single year it gets attention. And that's just the draft picks! Don't forget about Gaines Adams.

But, yeah, let's solve the problem by trading next year's 7th rounder for another OLineman. That'll work. :rolleyes:

Tonight was a perfect example of why they needed offensive linemen. Let's sit the sack, the hurries, and the knock downs aside for a second. Now let's look at people not getting open. Why couldn't they get open? The Bears had to keep 2 people to block outside of the offensive line every play. The Packers D, if they were rushing 5, had 6 guys to cover the whoppin 3 ppl the Bears could send out on a play. You're not going to get open in situations like that.

If they had addressed the line, that wouldn't be an issue with these wide receivers.

Weren't both Carimi and Williams injury risks coming out of college? Carimi had ailing knee issues, and Williams was going through a bad back that ultimately needed surgery before he even played a game as a rookie.

The thing is, we're going to need a major overhaul of the defense in the near future, if not this year, next, when you talk about Urlacher and his concerns, Tillman and his age, Briggs etc... MLB is going to be a position of need coming up real quick here. It's all about which holes do you want to fix first because each have their pro's and cons.

This team every year has avoided the offensive line. If we do not address it this offseason, I'm thowing in the towel. What happened to the line is fine and adding a WR like Marshall ane Jeffery will fix the problem? Well the bright side is this years draft is loaded with OTs. I can really see the path the Bears have planned and that is to play Webb, let Williams walk since his contract expires and let the draft pick compete with Webb next year. Since we are short on picks this coming draft, we need to take two linemen with rounds one and two. A young guard is in dire needs too. The rest of the dratt can go defense. Then the following year we can go all out on D.

This team every year has avoided the offensive line. If we do not address it this offseason, I'm thowing in the towel. What happened to the line is fine and adding a WR like Marshall ane Jeffery will fix the problem? Well the bright side is this years draft is loaded with OTs. I can really see the path the Bears have planned and that is to play Webb, let Williams walk since his contract expires and let the draft pick compete with Webb next year. Since we are short on picks this coming draft, we need to take two linemen with rounds one and two. A young guard is in dire needs too. The rest of the dratt can go defense. Then the following year we can go all out on D.

Give it more than 2 games before you start writing things off. This happens every year to the Bears from recent seasons, and every year it's the same song. We start of looking good early with a nice win, we hit a bump in the road after that, which is usually right after the next "worst offensive line performance you've ever seen", then the offensive coordinator goes through an intervention about protection and play calling, things turn around, we tally off 3,4,5 wins in a row and look like world beaters again.

The Bears are way too talented not to make the playoffs this year. It might even take another poor showing against Dallas before we really start to hit our stride, but this team is going to put up points on offense. Did you know the Bears were 6th in all of football last year, before Cutler went down, in ppg? You can get away with having a less than stellar offensive line. It's the implosions that you can't put up with. The Bears had this same implosion last year in week 2 against New Orleans, and then we came out the next game and held Jared Allen to zero sacks and destroyed the Vikings, en route to winning 5 in a row.

We all know the line needs to improve. It's like beating a dead horse. I'd love to have that stud left tackle as much as the next guy. But lets not act like the offense is going to be held to 168 yards of total offense every game from here on out. Give it time.

Tonight was a perfect example of why they needed offensive linemen. Let's sit the sack, the hurries, and the knock downs aside for a second. Now let's look at people not getting open. Why couldn't they get open? The Bears had to keep 2 people to block outside of the offensive line every play. The Packers D, if they were rushing 5, had 6 guys to cover the whoppin 3 ppl the Bears could send out on a play. You're not going to get open in situations like that.

If they had addressed the line, that wouldn't be an issue with these wide receivers.

The offensive line is not a good one, I still think we will win 10 to 11 games. We cannot fix everything in one off season, and we ignored that problem this year. Hopefully Cutler can get by without major injuries, and we just move forward. If we looked at the begining of the season, I dont count this as a victory anyway, it just was an ugly lose.

Give it more than 2 games before you start writing things off. This happens every year to the Bears from recent seasons, and every year it's the same song. We start of looking good early with a nice win, we hit a bump in the road after that, which is usually right after the next "worst offensive line performance you've ever seen", then the offensive coordinator goes through an intervention about protection and play calling, things turn around, we tally off 3,4,5 wins in a row and look like world beaters again.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but it's been given time. It's been given years. That should be plenty of time. May protect should not be necessary on every play.

I don't care how angry Cutler was...this game plan was built to make sure the O-Line failed.

To a certain extent, I agree. But if the OC continues to build game plans that protect the weak links in the chain, and make no mistake, there is more than one weak link, then it's an excuse for Lovie and the front office to ignore OL YET AGAIN.

At some point you have to sink or swim in one-on-one situations as an NFL player.