OK, I Broke the Game Down...

Mongo3451

I'm just doing the O, because the D was not a problem at all.

Series#

1: Play action, 7 step drop, Forte blows his assignment, Cutler sacked.

2: Shotgun, plus 3 steps, Spencer lets Clay go, Cutler sacked. End momentum.

3: Starting to run delays to counter pressure.(Note: Marshalls man playing 15 yards off and Cutler doesn't see it) Carimi penalty stalls a promising drive.

4: Shotgun(should not have been called after fake FG) Webb false start. Got a 1st working Forte over middle.(This was open all night) Cutler throws and should have been picked, throws a pick the next play. You could actually feel it coming.

5: Shotgun, Cutler slides in pocket and hits Forte for a 1st. Almost throws another pick on a seam route with NO seam.(stupid) Throws 1st down to Forte as a checkdown.(now a re-occurring theme) Draw to Bush, if Hester attempts a block it's a TD. 1st down Spaeth. Marshall drops a TD - FG

6: The run game is now starting to work. Cutler gets out of the pocket and gets picked. Mayock blames Earl Bennett. I do not. Bennett was sitting in a hole and had no idea Woodson was coming. Cutler did. I know recievers are supposed to work their way back, but Cutler had time to see he wasn't.

7: We start with a run for 4 yards. Overload Blitz the inside fails to pickup - sack. Hester drops a potential 1st.

8: Cutler has time. Horrible throw and decision as he throws pick #3

9: Cutler runs for a 1st. Cutler to Bennett for 1st. Cutler avoids pressure, should have been picked. Missed Jefferey on a wide open TD. Sack

10: Sack. Cutler to Marshall. Cutler and Marshall miss an opportunity in the endzone as the refs give us the time by allowing Webb to tackle Clay. TD-Cutler to Davis.

11: Sack

12: Pick. Bad form, bad decision, bad throw

Now let's look at the sacks:

1: Play action, 7 step step drop and Forte blows assignment.

2: Spencer got initial leverage by pushing Matthews back, but underestimated his ability to recover. Sack was a total lack of continued effort as Spencer disengaged.

3: Shotgun. Webb sets up well, but never gets his arms extended on Clay. Bad technique. Note: Cutler gets in Webbs ass and Webb laughs. The experiment should now be over.

4: Cutler took too much time. Had to get rid of the ball sooner. Note: this and the two below may be coverage related or bad play calling. Regardless, the line can't be expected to hold that long.

5: Ditto

6: Ditto

7: Webb engages Matthews to inside(good), but then fails to step outside on the stunt(bad) as Bush had inside assist on Matthews. Clay gets sack after Webbs guy flushed Cutler.

Summary: Play calling wasn't great. OL was bad. Cutler was horrible. IMO - you can only ask your protection to do so much. The under/middle of the field was open all night. We ran zero rollouts or naked bootlegs to the right. What about a quick trap or two? Quick slants??? On a lot of the pressure, Cutler simply held the ball too long.

It was all-around clusterfu#$. Cutler will never live down is over-confident interview earlier in the week. Postgame mentioned by Rodgers and Woodson.

Time to see Williams. I've said it before that Webb slightly outperformed Williams pre-season, but Williams is the devil you know. And Williams probably would have fared better. The smile at the ass chewing sealed it.

If this continues, I will not be sad to see Lovie and Co gone. That was as embarrassing as it gets.

Hat's off to the D...

Series#

3: Starting to run delays to counter pressure.(Note: Marshalls man playing 15 yards off and Cutler doesn't see it) Carimi penalty stalls a promising drive.

4: Shotgun(should not have been called after fake FG) Webb false start. Got a 1st working Forte over middle.(This was open all night) Cutler throws and should have been picked, throws a pick the next play. You could actually feel it coming.

5: Shotgun, Cutler slides in pocket and hits Forte for a 1st. Almost throws another pick on a seam route with NO seam.(stupid) Throws 1st down to Forte as a checkdown.(now a re-occurring theme) Draw to Bush, if Hester attempts a block it's a TD. 1st down Spaeth. Marshall drops a TD - FG

6: The run game is now starting to work. Cutler gets out of the pocket and gets picked. Mayock blames Earl Bennett. I do not. Bennett was sitting in a hole and had no idea Woodson was coming. Cutler did. I know recievers are supposed to work their way back, but Cutler had time to see he wasn't.

7: We start with a run for 4 yards. Overload Blitz the inside fails to pickup - sack. Hester drops a potential 1st.

9: Cutler runs for a 1st. Cutler to Bennett for 1st. Cutler avoids pressure, should have been picked. Missed Jefferey on a wide open TD. Sack

10: Sack. Cutler to Marshall. Cutler and Marshall miss an opportunity in the endzone as the refs give us the time by allowing Webb to tackle Clay. TD-Cutler to Davis.

2: Spencer got initial leverage by pushing Matthews back, but underestimated his ability to recover. Sack was a total lack of continued effort as Spencer disengaged.

3: Shotgun. Webb sets up well, but never gets his arms extended on Clay. Bad technique. Note: Cutler gets in Webbs ass and Webb laughs. The experiment should now be over.

4: Cutler took too much time. Had to get rid of the ball sooner. Note: this and the two below may be coverage related or bad play calling. Regardless, the line can't be expected to hold that long.

7: Webb engages Matthews to inside(good), but then fails to step outside on the stunt(bad) as Bush had inside assist on Matthews. Clay gets sack after Webbs guy flushed Cutler.

Summary: Play calling wasn't great. OL was bad. Cutler was horrible. IMO - you can only ask your protection to do so much. The under/middle of the field was open all night. We ran zero rollouts or naked bootlegs to the right. What about a quick trap or two? Quick slants??? On a lot of the pressure, Cutler simply held the ball too long.

It was all-around clusterfu#$. Cutler will never live down is over-confident interview earlier in the week. Postgame mentioned by Rodgers and Woodson.

Time to see Williams. I've said it before that Webb slightly outperformed Williams pre-season, but Williams is the devil you know. And Williams probably would have fared better. The smile at the ass chewing sealed it.

If this continues, I will not be sad to see Lovie and Co gone. That was as embarrassing as it gets.

Hat's off to the D...

Mongo, Good review of what happened. I totally agree with how the offense failed time and time again and the "O" line left Cutler high and dry on four of the seven sacks. Makes me wonder whether or not Tice will be a decent coordinator or not. One so-so game over Indy and an embarrassment at the hands of our most hated rival who again is owning us completely. We have 14 games left to play and I will be in the UFO for next weeks game against the lambs who came close to get the Lay Downs in Detroit. Should be interesting.

great post Mongo

Series#

Hat's off to the D...

Series#

Hat's off to the D...

Good post. So, after you've broken down film, you agree that the OL deserves more of the blame. 4 is greater than 3.

And in terms of the coverage/play sacks, I think that's a sack that goes on multiple players. Good OLs allow a QB to get to the second and third read. Cutler rarely has time for the second read. I agree Jay has to make better decisions, and the WRs have to do a better job of getting open, but the OL has to perform excellently every once in a while so that the flaws by the QB and WRs aren't ALWAYS accentuated. Every once in a while it'd be great to see the OL hold up to pressure, give Jay all day to throw, and see him sit in the pocket Peyton Manning-style, hitting the third or fourth guy because he just has a ton of time.

Did you see a single quick slant all game from our receivers? We've got a big physical receiver that almost always wins at the LOS and we can't even run one slant to get him involved in the game? That play is there 90% of the time because the DB is not going to be able to get across his body in time to really phase Marshall. I don't know what Mike Tice was smoking last night, but that game plan needs to be crumpled up and thrown in the garbage immediately and never used again.

Good post. So, after you've broken down film, you agree that the OL deserves more of the blame. 4 is greater than 3.

I look at it a little differently. Three of the sacks were purely bad OL play. The one sack on the overload blitz was just too much to block for the play called.(It goes on the OL, but it was a tough break) The 3 coverage sacks you rarely see Manning, Brady or even Rodgers take. Case in point last night. Cutler, time and time again, takes coverage sacks and/or makes bonehead throws. Just like Woodson said, "we count on Jay being Jay". More than anything, Jay gets rattled, miffed and placed "on tilt" more than my comfort level likes. I wonder if he might be Jeff George 2.0

Gamewise, I look at it as Cutler, coaching and OL respectively.