Webb speaks about incident

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Our Green Bay game wasn’t just a a loss for me it was a loss for our whole team. I don’t want the fans, media, or any of our teammates to become distracted with the interaction on the sidelines. We will handle any disagreements as a team. The concern I have remains the same: to protect our quarterback and win. This is my focus and no one needs to identify this for me or question my desire to win. We win together and we lose together. Bear down.

I like this. Now go and watch film because Chris Long and Robert Quinn can get after the QB.

Our Green Bay game wasn’t just a a loss for me it was a loss for our whole team. I don’t want the fans, media, or any of our teammates to become distracted with the interaction on the sidelines. We will handle any disagreements as a team. The concern I have remains the same: to protect our quarterback and win. This is my focus and no one needs to identify this for me or question my desire to win. We win together and we lose together. Bear down.

LOL that he wrote this. If so, he has an even more lucrative career heading up a PR firm waiting for him after he's done with football. Hahaha

Cutler picked on Webb because he knew he was the only lineman that wouldn't fight back. I can't blame him for what he did (I would have done much worse), but you still can't touch a lineman. I'm glad Webb responded the way he did; you'd wish Jay would say the same thing.

Through what? The Facebook and Twitter he doesn't have?

He has his weekly show on Tuesday and his weekly press conference Wednesday. He'll have a chance then.

Cutler picked on Webb because he knew he was the only lineman that wouldn't fight back. I can't blame him for what he did (I would have done much worse), but you still can't touch a lineman. I'm glad Webb responded the way he did; you'd wish Jay would say the same thing.

Seems to me that Jay is saying pretty much the same thing that the majority of posters here have said for more than a year. The OL is a mess and until it gets fixed we will never win a SB.

Sadly, he gets it more than Cutler...

Completely disagreed, Mad.

Webb sounds like he's getting coached by Lovie Smith, not just on the field, but also for the press. It's all blah, blah, blah, my focus is still on, blah, blah, blah. It's like the Bull Durham scene where Crash teaches Nuke how to talk to the media.

If Webb really "got it" more than Cutler, he would have started out the post with "I've been horrible the entire time I've been a Bears starter, ranked the worst OLineman by some publications that do analysis, but it's not like I'm not trying. I really am. I desperately want to protect my QB and help my team win. I'm just not good enough right now. I need to put in more work in the weight room, in training, doing footwork, with hand positioning, and with mental preparation. I will keep trying to improve as long as I have this opportunity."

Something like that would have been great.

Point well made.

However, I still would have liked a little more mea culpa from Cutler. Like, "I really want to apologize to the fans of Chicago. Despite what the circumstances were, I played poorly. I'm going to do everything I can to try to make sure that doesn't happen again. I will learn from my mistakes."

Webb sounds like he's getting coached by Lovie Smith, not just on the field, but also for the press. It's all blah, blah, blah, my focus is still on, blah, blah, blah. It's like the Bull Durham scene where Crash teaches Nuke how to talk to the media.

If Webb really "got it" more than Cutler, he would have started out the post with "I've been horrible the entire time I've been a Bears starter, ranked the worst OLineman by some publications that do analysis, but it's not like I'm not trying. I really am. I desperately want to protect my QB and help my team win. I'm just not good enough right now. I need to put in more work in the weight room, in training, doing footwork, with hand positioning, and with mental preparation. I will keep trying to improve as long as I have this opportunity."

Point well made.

However, I still would have liked a little more mea culpa from Cutler. Like, "I really want to apologize to the fans of Chicago. Despite what the circumstances were, I played poorly. I'm going to do everything I can to try to make sure that doesn't happen again. I will learn from my mistakes."

No matter whether Webb's play deserved it or not, the fact is that Cutler can't do that. He especially can't do that on a day when he throws 4 picks and when he gives Marshall a pat on the back after dropping a pass in the end zone.

The article writes itself and keeps going for a week.

Point taken, but Cutler needs to take blame himself as well.

Agreed.

No matter whether Webb's play deserved it or not, the fact is that Cutler can't do that. He especially can't do that on a day when he throws 4 picks and when he gives Marshall a pat on the back after dropping a pass in the end zone.

The article writes itself and keeps going for a week.

Marshall dropped ONE touchdown pass. Webb has been partly responsible for ONE HUNDRED NINETEEN sacks since 2009. So yeah, I'd say one deserved a pat on the ass rather than a slight push.

(FWIW, I'm not condoning the push. I'm just saying that one player is significantly worse than the other and has put Cutler through hell.)

I watched Kevin Kolb get chased all over the field today yet he never put his head down and kept on fighting and pulled out a win. This was a different Kolb than what I've seen in the past when he used to panic like Cutler did. I've been very critical of Kolb for that but today he earned a victory on the road against the Patriots, very impressive performance on his part behind a lackluster Oline.

If you want to be an elite QB that's what it takes.

I watched Kevin Kolb get chased all over the field today yet he never put his head down and kept on fighting and pulled out a win. This was a different Kolb than what I've seen in the past when he used to panic like Cutler did. I've been very critical of Kolb for that but today he earned a victory on the road against the Patriots, very impressive performance on his part behind a lackluster Oline.

If you want to be an elite QB that's what it takes.

Call me when Kolb takes the same beating for multiple years in a row while his team's front office does next to nothing to improve the situation.

Aside from that, Kolb is not doing it because he's an elite QB, or because he's trying to be an elite QB. He's doing it because his lack of experience and his stats are about on par with a rookie QB who has just finished a season or so. Not to mention the fact that this is only his second year in Arizona, and the first year was VERY disappointing. Kolb knows his place is to play ball and lead by example (not necessarily a bad M.O. in general), and if he complained or tried to chew someone out he'd likely get told to STFU.

Call me when Kolb takes the same beating for multiple years in a row while his team's front office does next to nothing to improve the situation.

Aside from that, Kolb is not doing it because he's an elite QB, or because he's trying to be an elite QB. He's doing it because his lack of experience and his stats are about on par with a rookie QB who has just finished a season or so. Not to mention the fact that this is only his second year in Arizona, and the first year was VERY disappointing. Kolb knows his place is to play ball and lead by example (not necessarily a bad M.O. in general), and if he complained or tried to chew someone out he'd likely get told to STFU.

Had to stop laughing before I could type: Kolb and beating/injury have gone hand in hand here in AZ and back in Philly.

Not sure which rookie QB you are referring to (unless you are talking about Skelton who is in his 3rd season) but regardless his stats are bad and yes, Kolb knows he's fighting for a job.

Had to stop laughing before I could type: Kolb and beating/injury have gone hand in hand here in AZ and back in Philly.

Not sure which rookie QB you are referring to (unless you are talking about Skelton who is in his 3rd season) but regardless his stats are bad and yes, Kolb knows he's fighting for a job.

My point was, Kolb has a different approach because he's not the leader of the team, hasn't put in the necessary work, doesn't have the required clout, doesn't have the background stats, to start barking at people. He needs to cover his own ass before he starts calling out others. Jay Culter, on the other hand, is unequivocally the leader of the Bears offense, and has the history to back him up.