Cutler after game 3

Alaskan Grizzly

I know this will not be well received but whatever. Before I say my piece, understand that I want more than anything for Jay to succeed. That being said, he continues to look like crap. Has Webb helped? No. Should Tice maybe call for more receivers than just Marshall to get the ball? Probably. With Jay allegedly being able to call more audibles and have more say in the offense, this is not what I was hoping to see. Jay has been mediocre at best.

He's forcing it to Marshall way too much. In fact the Int was a result of him doing just that. The article that I saw earlier about Jay holding the ball too long may have something to it. Perhaps that is partially to blame for the sacks we have seen, not just the oline play... Or lack thereof.

Although today's was a satisfying win, it was against a mediocre team. The next couple will be true tests. If they can at least split the difference (1-1) with those games, some hope will be restored.

For the time being I'm going to be fan for Seattle tomorrow night and have to say thanks to the Vikings.

Agree 100%. I'm now worried about the way Cutler has performed this season. He started off the year throwing a pick six, then there was the debacle in GB, and now another sub par performance against a mediocre St Louis Rams team. As I said in the game thread, his accuracy and decision making is a huge problem. He's not protecting the football enough and has been careless with his passes.

The play calling was bad again as well. How do you not have Alshon Jeffery in the game on goaline situations?? A Devin Hester fade? Really? When has that ever worked? And how about keeping Bell in the game instead of Bush? What's up with that?

I think next Monday could end up being another national nightmare waiting to happen. A lot of things have to get better on offense. I predicted we'd start hitting our stride around weeks 3 or 4. The defense has lived up to their end of the bargain, but the offense leaves much to be desired.

I know this will not be well received but whatever. Before I say my piece, understand that I want more than anything for Jay to succeed. That being said, he continues to look like crap. Has Webb helped? No. Should Tice maybe call for more receivers than just Marshall to get the ball? Probably. With Jay allegedly being able to call more audibles and have more say in the offense, this is not what I was hoping to see. Jay has been mediocre at best.

He's forcing it to Marshall way too much. In fact the Int was a result of him doing just that. The article that I saw earlier about Jay holding the ball too long may have something to it. Perhaps that is partially to blame for the sacks we have seen, not just the oline play... Or lack thereof.

Although today's was a satisfying win, it was against a mediocre team. The next couple will be true tests. If they can at least split the difference (1-1) with those games, some hope will be restored.

For the time being I'm going to be fan for Seattle tomorrow night and have to say thanks to the Vikings.

I don't think it will be poorly received. The major difference on this board is with how much of the blame is to be levied against those responsible.

I happen to think that Cutler, while playing average, is less deserving of the blame than the OL. Even today they didn't look good other than a handful of plays. He was hurried multiple times, hit multiple times, and there were several OL penalties. As said before, it's not just that the OL sucks, it's that they take turn doing things that suck. I've said for roughly five years that the primary focus for the Bears should be the OL. It remains relatively unaddressed, and Cutler is the worse for it.

With that pressure, Cutler degrades in decision-making. But it's a chicken and egg thing.

Regarding Tice, I don't think he's done that well. Which was completely anticipated. He called against a bad D in week one and looked smart. Got his ass handed to him in week two for being far too ambitious with play-calling considering the OL. And then, this week, it looked like he neutered the offense because of week 2.

It's been done numerous times before on this board, but ultimately it ends with how much blame goes to each. Which percentage do you apply to each?

Agree 100%. I'm now worried about the way Cutler has performed this season. He started off the year throwing a pick six, then there was the debacle in GB, and now another sub par performance against a mediocre St Louis Rams team. As I said in the game thread, his accuracy and decision making is a huge problem. He's not protecting the football enough and has been careless with his passes.

The play calling was bad again as well. How do you not have Alshon Jeffery in the game on goaline situations?? A Devin Hester fade? Really? When has that ever worked? And how about keeping Bell in the game instead of Bush? What's up with that?

I think next Monday could end up being another national nightmare waiting to happen. A lot of things have to get better on offense. I predicted we'd start hitting our stride around weeks 3 or 4. The defense has lived up to their end of the bargain, but the offense leaves much to be desired.

First and foremost, what's up with Bush? There is no post game coverage due to stupid baseball.

That being said, Cutler was disappointing but we still won 20 to 6. Not bad.

I don't think it will be poorly received. The major difference on this board is with how much of the blame is to be levied against those responsible.

I happen to think that Cutler, while playing average, is less deserving of the blame than the OL. Even today they didn't look good other than a handful of plays. He was hurried multiple times, hit multiple times, and there were several OL penalties. As said before, it's not just that the OL sucks, it's that they take turn doing things that suck. I've said for roughly five years that the primary focus for the Bears should be the OL. It remains relatively unaddressed, and Cutler is the worse for it.

With that pressure, Cutler degrades in decision-making. But it's a chicken and egg thing.

Regarding Tice, I don't think he's done that well. Which was completely anticipated. He called against a bad D in week one and looked smart. Got his ass handed to him in week two for being far too ambitious with play-calling considering the OL. And then, this week, it looked like he neutered the offense because of week 2.

It's been done numerous times before on this board, but ultimately it ends with how much blame goes to each. Which percentage do you apply to each?

I'm going to go with a large part on Cutler's shoulders. With the addition of Marshall, Jeffery and Bates he's been given players (and staff) he needed. With Tice he's (Cutler) been given more freedom in what he wants to do. With that he's simply overlooked some of the other receivers and tried too many times to get it to Marshall. Just today in the second half he appeared to be getting it as he threw more to Jeffery with favorable results.

And despite what many will say, aside from Webb the oline played pretty well today. What was it one sack or two? I'm pretty sure one was due to Cutlers holding the ball too long. And Bush was on his way to a 100 yard game before the half. Not sure what happened to him.

Not sure what game you guys were watching, but I saw Cutler miss on maybe 2-3 throws all game. Otherwise, when he got time he made good throws and when he didn't, well he still at times ad-libbed and made plays. If it weren't for the Bears dropping some easy passes (as well as Marshall whiffing on the one that led to the only interception), his completion percentage is much higher and the Bears offense would have put more points up.

I had zero issue with the way Cutler played today. Offense made mistakes and the line was bad, but Cutler was solid.

Not sure what game you guys were watching, but I saw Cutler miss on maybe 2-3 throws all game.

Who's talking about just today? Coming into today's game, Cutler was ranked 32nd in the NFL in completion %. Today he completed 54.8% of his passes. He is now completing 52% of his passes on the season. Accuracy has definitely been an issue.

I had zero issue with the way Cutler played today. Offense made mistakes and the line was bad, but Cutler was solid.

Your bar must not be set very high then. I expect a lot more out of him, as should everyone else, if you believe this team could get to the Superbowl.

He looked bad.

Are the wheels truly starting to come off?

If we played a half decent team, we'd have lost today.

No real argument here. Cutler played pretty poorly. His WR's didn't do anything amazing and had a few drops. Webb was a turnstile yet again. It's truly amazing the pass that guy gets.

But, if this is what we're going to get out of Jay, we're in trouble. Have we ruined yet another QB?

I'm going to go with a large part on Cutler's shoulders. With the addition of Marshall, Jeffery and Bates he's been given players (and staff) he needed. With Tice he's (Cutler) been given more freedom in what he wants to do. With that he's simply overlooked some of the other receivers and tried too many times to get it to Marshall. Just today in the second half he appeared to be getting it as he threw more to Jeffery with favorable results.

And despite what many will say, aside from Webb the oline played pretty well today. What was it one sack or two? I'm pretty sure one was due to Cutlers holding the ball too long. And Bush was on his way to a 100 yard game before the half. Not sure what happened to him.

Guest TerraTor

Ya the fade to Hester was completely rediculous... that had Lovie Smith written all over it

Could not of agree more. What a terrible play design in the redzone. It's hard enough to score TD's in the red zone and most teams not named the Bears look to create a mismatch in this area not do the opposing team's defense any favors. these are the types of plays that we saw from this staff last year when they did not use it personel to it's strengths. Even in today's game John Lynch commeted that they were trying to run Bush to the outsicde which is Forte's strength while Bush is a more in between the tackles runner. Hopefully the OL can gel like it did after the Giants game last season where they establish a solid running game and develped some type of idenity on O. Good news is that SF, DET both lost today to lesser teams.

And it still kills me that you try to simplify the debate into a matter of sacks. That's far too simple to measure the OL's performance. Aside from that, it appears that anything over 1.5 seconds in the pocket is going to go against Cutler in your book.

And it still kills me that you try to simplify the debate into a matter of sacks. That's far too simple to measure the OL's performance. Aside from that, it appears that anything over 1.5 seconds in the pocket is going to go against Cutler in your book.

Well Jason it's not Astrophysics, it's football.

Well Jason it's not Astrophysics, it's football.

There's a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide distance between astrophysics and football. I'm somewhere in the middle. You appear to be close to either the w or the d.

Serious questions: How do you determine if the sack is Cutler's fault? How do you determine if he's "holding the ball too long"? It seems to me this is a common theme being claimed by many, but I honestly don't think it's the case. It's just that we're so used to seeing him get pounded like a $2 whore that we expect that, by now, he knows to get rid of the ball quicker. Of course, it's still not his fault that he's getting pounded, but it seems that his window of time to get rid of the ball is decreasing in the minds/eyes of his detractors. It seems that anything over a three-step drop, plant, throw is on Cutler. Three-step drop, plant, look for secondary read? On Cutler. I don't believe that is fair or accurate.

I would say another thing to consider is that this is another new system that everyone has to get used to. Sometimes it happens quick while other times it takes a few weeks. I will withhold judgement until the Bye Week. I would just like to see some progress each week.

What amazes me is that he is 31st in the league in Passer Rating (58.6) only Tannehill at 58.3 is lower. He is tied for the lead in INTs with 6, and is 29th in Completion%.

Those are ridiculously low numbers for a "franchise QB" considering only one game had bad pressure.

There's a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide distance between astrophysics and football. I'm somewhere in the middle. You appear to be close to either the w or the d.

Serious questions: How do you determine if the sack is Cutler's fault? How do you determine if he's "holding the ball too long"? It seems to me this is a common theme being claimed by many, but I honestly don't think it's the case. It's just that we're so used to seeing him get pounded like a $2 whore that we expect that, by now, he knows to get rid of the ball quicker. Of course, it's still not his fault that he's getting pounded, but it seems that his window of time to get rid of the ball is decreasing in the minds/eyes of his detractors. It seems that anything over a three-step drop, plant, throw is on Cutler. Three-step drop, plant, look for secondary read? On Cutler. I don't believe that is fair or accurate.

Simply put, since I'm rudimentary in nature, it has to do with pre snap reads etc. He can't keep convincing the opposition that he's going to throw to anybody but Marshall each and every time, it's not a secret. I think he sometimes wants to go too much for the big gain instead of the more conservative dink and dunk, hence holding the ball. By pre-scanning the D he could determine what formation theyre in and find the soft spots. However many times I think he simply wants to do the big gain. And that, at least in his mind, involves Marshall.

Simply put, since I'm rudimentary in nature, it has to do with pre snap reads etc. He can't keep convincing the opposition that he's going to throw to anybody but Marshall each and every time, it's not a secret. I think he sometimes wants to go too much for the big gain instead of the more conservative dink and dunk, hence holding the ball. By pre-scanning the D he could determine what formation theyre in and find the soft spots. However many times I think he simply wants to do the big gain. And that, at least in his mind, involves Marshall.

Agree with this assessment...

And if his presnap read is covered? What then? Is he supposed to immediately throw it away or run with it? If not, then do you factor everything after the first read as a slight on Cutler? Is the OL never supposed to give Cutler enough time to get to the second read?

And if his presnap read is covered? What then? Is he supposed to immediately throw it away or run with it? If not, then do you factor everything after the first read as a slight on Cutler? Is the OL never supposed to give Cutler enough time to get to the second read?

No, the point is he's not doing the pre snap read. In fact he's not even trying to make the check down reads. He's basically telegraphing to the D that he is going to go for the big play and it will more than likely involve Marshall. Remember this is the same guy that said his arm is stronger than Elway's. So he has something to prove.

No, the point is he's not doing the pre snap read. In fact he's not even trying to make the check down reads. He's basically telegraphing to the D that he is going to go for the big play and it will more than likely involve Marshall. Remember this is the same guy that said his arm is stronger than Elway's. So he has something to prove.

If that's your perspective, I understand it better. I don't necessarily agree, because we don't know what he's doing on each play, but I understand it. It would also explain why you have a quicker tendency to say he's holding onto the ball, because you believe Cutler to be waiting for only Marshall to get open.