Lovie and Bears talking extension

ASHKUM BEAR

According to 670 the score, Bears negotiating with Lovie Smith on a two year extension.

I'm good with it. Surprise, surprise.

:rolleyes:

And Mongo, what "f'ed up" situation are you refering to? The fact the team started out 4-1 this year and 7-1 last year (until Cutler and Forte got hurt) are things to definitely consider.

I'm good with it. Surprise, surprise.

:rolleyes:

And Mongo, what "f'ed up" situation are you refering to? The fact the team started out 4-1 this year and 7-1 last year (until Cutler and Forte got hurt) are things to definitely consider.

Don't get me started. Just not the way I'd like to see things done. History has been known to repeat itself... :shakehead

Why not wait till his contract expires? This the same f'd up scenario we've been saddled with before.

No NFL team is going to let the contract expire of a coach they want to keep. That's the "Bidding war" situation that teams woulnd't have any urge to get into. If you're going to fire the guy you fire the guy, if you're going to keep the guy, you sign hiim a year before his contract is up.

If the Bears have confidence in this team, it could be the FO negotiating low also. An NFC championship appearance or more would definitely give him some serious leverage.

Low? He already makes $6 million and is one of the highest paid coaches in the league. I believe the only coaches paid more are Belichick (7.5), Shanny, Fisher, and Carroll. I understand the point and it is the right thing to do for image sake at least.

It's from Terry Boers so take it with a grain of salt. It's impossible to know whether this has any validity to it or not. The Bears would never publicly admit it. I don't know why they would do this now, given he's under contract for next year. It would be a bad move, IMO if it were to happen now. Why wouldn't you just wait to see what he does the next two seasons before you commit more money to him?

It's from Terry Boers so take it with a grain of salt. It's impossible to know whether this has any validity to it or not. The Bears would never publicly admit it. I don't know why they would do this now, given he's under contract for next year. It would be a bad move, IMO if it were to happen now. Why wouldn't you just wait to see what he does the next two seasons before you commit more money to him?

Teams don't go into a season where they have the chance that a head coach they want to keep could become a free agent. They just don't. His extension status comes down to this season.

Conversely, if the Bears finish 4-12, he's cheap and easy to fire this year with only 1 year remaining.

My feeling is wait until he at least locks up a playoff berth...if not wins at least one game.

That's what I'd do...but the team might want to set things in motion early thinking that a serious playoff run could cost them an extra $2-$4 million (and they'd probably be right). Hard to decide without knowing their finances.

My feeling is wait until he at least locks up a playoff berth...if not wins at least one game.

Let's be patient. We haven't won anything yet Let's get to the playoffs and go from there. The season has just started and quite a few of us here were frustrated after the collapse last year. Produce and THEN give him the $.

Don't get your panties in a ruffle girls. Jesus, this place is so full of pearl-clutchers.

Lovie will get extended ONLY if Emery thinks he deserves it. Period. Most of the Lovie haters here wanted him gone so Emery could bring in his own guy. Well, the way it worked out, Lovie might be HIS guy.

The line for thinking Emery sucks forms now... Get behind Terra.

Gw3Ug.jpg

Let's be patient. We haven't won anything yet Let's get to the playoffs and go from there. The season has just started and quite a few of us here were frustrated after the collapse last year. Produce and THEN give him the $.

Agreed 100%. Wait until the season ends then deal with this.

Peace:dabears

Its still early and I believe too early to even think about extending this coach or his staff, lets see what happens. If I'm not mistaken NFL rules have a deadline in place for extending player during the season and that is where my focus would be. Try and extend player like Louis and Melton now instead of when they hit the open market. Lovie can be last on the list because he would prefer it that way. I like when he is on the hotseat and with this being one of the most talemted roster's in his tenure, we will know if he is the coach of the future going forward for this franchise.