Chris Williams released

Stinger226

So the bigger question is why did they bring back Bowman?

Not that I'm against it since he is a local HS graduate and alum of the college team I follow.

I believe he was brought back to play special teams. Must not be happy with the play they have seen there.

Peace :dabears

So the bigger question is why did they bring back Bowman?

Not that I'm against it since he is a local HS graduate and alum of the college team I follow.

Injury to McManis:

That gives the Bears depth on special teams with Sherrick McManis sidelined with a hip injury.

Still can't figure out why he ended up this way. You'd think as bad as our LG play has been at times that his versatility would have been worth keeping around for just a $1mil/yr. This is not Lovie's style. At some point we'll hear why he fell so far from the good graces of the coaching staff to get dumped mid-season. Did he gripe about not getting a shot to start at LG? Not getting enough reps at LT in camp?

Trying to figure out what Emery is doing too. We just signed another TE giving us a lot of depth at one position. I can understand the Zach Bowman signing for special teams with McManis hurt but why keep 5 TEs over a former starter for one of the weakest roster spots? Nothing in the first few games makes me think Chris Spencer is a better backup at LG than Chris Williams.

Still can't figure out why he ended up this way. You'd think as bad as our LG play has been at times that his versatility would have been worth keeping around for just a $1mil/yr. This is not Lovie's style. At some point we'll hear why he fell so far from the good graces of the coaching staff to get dumped mid-season. Did he gripe about not getting a shot to start at LG? Not getting enough reps at LT in camp?

Trying to figure out what Emery is doing too. We just signed another TE giving us a lot of depth at one position. I can understand the Zach Bowman signing for special teams with McManis hurt but why keep 5 TEs over a former starter for one of the weakest roster spots? Nothing in the first few games makes me think Chris Spencer is a better backup at LG than Chris Williams.

I'm guessing he told them he didn't want to be here anymore or was Chris Harris 2.0

Well Scott supplanted him, Iam sure he asked for trade or release, His days was numbered anyway with that signing, Scott is durable for the most part. Williams E is a solid back up for Center and Guard, It appears to me Emery is his own man, And loyalties dont go far for him. If you dont preform your gone. I like it myself.

This. You don't cut a guy who was competing for the LT spot, and started at the LG spot the previous year, when he is only making $1M per year. This move doesn't make sense, and reeks of off-field issues.

This. You don't cut a guy who was competing for the LT spot, and started at the LG spot the previous year, when he is only making $1M per year. This move doesn't make sense, and reeks of off-field issues.

His failure to step up and grab either the LG spot or the LT spot also reeks of off-field and commitment issues.

The Chicago Bears signed offensive tackle Cory Brandon to the practice squad on Wednesday.

Brandon (6-7, 324 pounds) drew high praise from the coaching staff during the preseason, which played a role in the offensive tackle receiving plenty of snaps during preseason games. This maybe the reason Williams was let go

His failure to step up and grab either the LG spot or the LT spot also reeks of off-field and commitment issues.

Chicken-egg-chicken-egg...

One leads to the other.

It's more likely he was not permitted to grab the LG or LT spot, than him being unable to do so. Especially since he played better than Webb overall in the preseason, and his previous play at LG was easily better than Spencer (who inexplicably got the start).

Chicken-egg-chicken-egg...

One leads to the other.

It's more likely he was not permitted to grab the LG or LT spot, than him being unable to do so. Especially since he played better than Webb overall in the preseason, and his previous play at LG was easily better than Spencer (who inexplicably got the start).

Based on your judgement he played better in the preseason. Most people said it was a wash. Maybe the coaching staff simply made the decision back in the preseason he is not the long term answer at either position.

Who really cares. He's gone.

Based on your judgement he played better in the preseason. Most people said it was a wash. Maybe the coaching staff simply made the decision back in the preseason he is not the long term answer at either position.

Who really cares. He's gone.

This was discussed ad nauseum, but based on strictly their preseason performance, it was either a Williams win or, like you said, a wash. That's near consensus over multiple boards. And honestly, I doubt there was more than a handful of people who actually broke down each play to accurately judge their performances. I think you might be right in the second part of your train of thought though; it's my belief this decision was made some time ago in the preseason.

As for who cares...we all should since their A. Getting rid of a 1st round pick which shows bad drafting, B. Getting rid of a starter last year who at worst could be used as solid bench material, C. Getting rid of a guy who probably won the most important position on an OL that has, for multiple years, sucked.

If Webb continues to improve, then the move doesn't bother me much. If he doesn't, it should bother us all, because a better choice was on the bench the entire time, but for some unknown reason they didn't want to give the guy a chance.

This was discussed ad nauseum, but based on strictly their preseason performance, it was either a Williams win or, like you said, a wash. That's near consensus over multiple boards. And honestly, I doubt there was more than a handful of people who actually broke down each play to accurately judge their performances. I think you might be right in the second part of your train of thought though; it's my belief this decision was made some time ago in the preseason.

As for who cares...we all should since their A. Getting rid of a 1st round pick which shows bad drafting, B. Getting rid of a starter last year who at worst could be used as solid bench material, C. Getting rid of a guy who probably won the most important position on an OL that has, for multiple years, sucked.

If Webb continues to improve, then the move doesn't bother me much. If he doesn't, it should bother us all, because a better choice was on the bench the entire time, but for some unknown reason they didn't want to give the guy a chance.

At some point we are going to give up the argument over who was better between Williams and Webb. At this time of the season, we are going to have to trust that there was a very legit reason for this release. I'm surprised we don't have a comment from Williams on the issue. I'll be waiting to hear it...

Again, your opinion he probably won the position. The majority of the input I read about the preseason was it was a draw. Further, Williams was a first round pick under Angelo. The new GM is Emery and I expect him to clean house as he feels necessary so I don't really care if Williams is gone.

Again, your opinion he probably won the position. The majority of the input I read about the preseason was it was a draw. Further, Williams was a first round pick under Angelo. The new GM is Emery and I expect him to clean house as he feels necessary so I don't really care if Williams is gone.

I don't know where you were reading, but the majority of the input on this board as well as the official board said Williams beat out Webb. I'm not saying it was something like 80-20 in favor of Williams, but it was majority.

I think it comes down to something DBDB said earlier this year.

I don't know why it's so hard to just accept the fact that he was not that good. He was the 14th pick in the NFL Draft that couldn't grab hold of his position. Whether it was the short arms or the non-physical style of play, whatever it was, it didn't mesh well with Tice. I don't believe he was ever cut out to be a left tackle. He let guys get into his pads far too often and got pushed around because he was neither strong enough, nor did he have the mentality to fight back. I think he would serve better in a Zone Blocking scheme where there is not as much of a physical demand.

Jason - OK. Maybe 55-45 split. I'll go with that.

In the end, I believe they simply kept the player they felt had a better upside and a better contract situation with the team. Williams was a FA at the end of the year. Webb is not. They know they were not going to invest in Williams moving forward so they moved on.

I believe you are correct in your assessment.

Jason - OK. Maybe 55-45 split. I'll go with that.

In the end, I believe they simply kept the player they felt had a better upside and a better contract situation with the team. Williams was a FA at the end of the year. Webb is not. They know they were not going to invest in Williams moving forward so they moved on.