You guys still think Cutler checks out of games

Chitownhustla

No. There were many on this board who said the OL problems would be severely minimized if the WR position was vastly improved. Their reasoning was that Cutler could throw it quicker, and have more confidence in his receivers, which would make the time in pocket minimized. Trust me, the discussion was had on more than one occasion.

As far as improvement goes, the team has improved. The record has improved. The offense has not.

When you have a guy like Brandon Marshall being the only receiver running a route and still getting open, I think that's a pretty good indicator of just how dynamic the offense can be. If this was last year, Johnny Knox or Devin Hester couldn't do the things this guy is able to do on the football field. The offensive line certainly isn't holding back Marshall's production.

The latter two statements about confidence and being able to throw quicker are just flat out wrong. Marshall's 50 catches and 80 targets kind of illustrates the exact opposite of a quarterback not being confident in his receiver. Having a true #1 matters, and it matters a lot.

Cutler can throw it quicker, his receivers actually can get open now, when Alshon is healthy. The slant route is there every time. It's always there for the two big guys. That's a play you couldn't run all the time last year with the guys they had. For some inexplicable reason, the coordinator too often ignores this in the midst of a game, until the two minute drill last week where they went to it 4 straight times before the game winning FG. This is a play calling issue.

At the end of the day, I really don't know what you thought the Bears could have done to significantly improve the offensive line over the offseason because it certainly wasn't happening in the draft. The two guys that were tossed around here at the time, Jonathon Martin and Riley Reiff both suck. You don't just draft a position because you have to, the players available actually have to be good. The talent has to be there. I don't think they could have gotten Carl Nicks or Eric Winston to come over for less money either, though they would have been good additions.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have a guy like Brandon Marshall being the only receiver running a route and still getting open, I think that's a pretty good indicator of just how dynamic the offense can be. If this was last year, Johnny Knox or Devin Hester couldn't do the things this guy is able to do on the football field. The offensive line certainly isn't holding back Marshall's production.

The latter two statements about confidence and being able to throw quicker are just flat out wrong. Marshall's 50 catches and 80 targets kind of illustrates the exact opposite of a quarterback not being confident in his receiver. Having a true #1 matters, and it matters a lot.

Cutler can throw it quicker, his receivers actually can get open now, when Alshon is healthy. The slant route is there every time. It's always there for the two big guys. That's a play you couldn't run all the time last year with the guys they had. For some inexplicable reason, the coordinator too often ignores this in the midst of a game, until the two minute drill last week where they went to it 4 straight times before the game winning FG. This is a play calling issue.

At the end of the day, I really don't know what you thought the Bears could have done to significantly improve the offensive line over the offseason because it certainly wasn't happening in the draft. The two guys that were tossed around here at the time, Jonathon Martin and Riley Reiff both suck. You don't just draft a position because you have to, the players available actually have to be good. The talent has to be there. I don't think they could have gotten Carl Nicks or Eric Winston to come over for less money either, though they would have been good additions.

Despite Marshall being on the team, and having great stats, the Bears offense is still not good. The passing offense is worse than last year. The debate was "add WRs and the OL looks better" vs. "add OL and the WRs look better." I think it's pretty clear that adding WRs hasn't made the OL look better. I believe, however, that adding OL would have made the WRs look better.

As far as what I wanted to be done, I wanted it addressed in the draft or FA. Since major FA targets were unlikely - just as you said - the draft was a more intelligent approach. I don't know where the hell you get that Reiff and Martin both suck. The Dolphins have had Martin starting since day one, and are impressed with his performance. I am too. He has allowed one sack and two QB hits. AS A ROOKIE. Also, this just in, but the Dolphins are probably the surprise of the league, and it has a decent amount to do with the fact that Martin is not playing like a rookie. As for Reiff, what did you expect him to do on the Lions? Start over Jeff Backus? Dude has started for a decade straight, there is no way Reiff was taking the job from him.

Despite Marshall being on the team, and having great stats, the Bears offense is still not good. The passing offense is worse than last year. The debate was "add WRs and the OL looks better" vs. "add OL and the WRs look better." I think it's pretty clear that adding WRs hasn't made the OL look better. I believe, however, that adding OL would have made the WRs look better.

As far as what I wanted to be done, I wanted it addressed in the draft or FA. Since major FA targets were unlikely - just as you said - the draft was a more intelligent approach. I don't know where the hell you get that Reiff and Martin both suck. The Dolphins have had Martin starting since day one, and are impressed with his performance. I am too. He has allowed one sack and two QB hits. AS A ROOKIE. Also, this just in, but the Dolphins are probably the surprise of the league, and it has a decent amount to do with the fact that Martin is not playing like a rookie. As for Reiff, what did you expect him to do on the Lions? Start over Jeff Backus? Dude has started for a decade straight, there is no way Reiff was taking the job from him.

According to Pro Football Focus, Jonathon Martin is among the league worst in terms of pass blocking efficiency sitting #45 out of #57. Gabe Carimi is 4th from the worst. Riley Reiff is a 1st round pick that can't even get on the field for another average-below average offensive line. It's highly doubtful he would have made an impact on this team this year, especially considering most rookies aren't that great to begin with.

As far as the WR's, they will make the offensive line look better, when they start to gel. Jeffery has been out for multiple weeks, Earl Bennett missed time early in the season, they need to get everyone together, Tice needs to make sure to utilize the short passing game more often, and the offense will look better. I really can't see the offense being this poor by the end of the year.

It's quite simple actually-- great receivers make the quarterback and offensive line better (and vise versa) because they get open more often, and Cutler shouldn't have to hold onto the ball as long as he would with a Knox or a Hester, who can't separate. That's "how" it happens. Cutler himself also needs to do a better job at getting rid of the ball earlier though. He has a tendency to wait for his receivers to come out of their breaks before throwing them the football instead of throwing them open.

As far as the WR's, they will make the offensive line look better, when they start to gel. Jeffery has been out for multiple weeks, Earl Bennett missed time early in the season, they need to get everyone together, Tice needs to make sure to utilize the short passing game more often, and the offense will look better. I really can't see the offense being this poor by the end of the year.

It's quite simple actually-- great receivers make the quarterback and offensive line better because they get open more often, and Cutler shouldn't have to hold onto the ball as long as he would with a Knox or a Hester, who can't separate. That's "how" it happens.

Ask Larry Fitzgerald...

Well I think it's pretty obvious what his problem is isn't it? They have no quarterback and the worst offensive line in football. Tough combination of bad to overcome.

OL you say? I know, you also mentioned QB. But didn't Kolb look pretty good when he played for Philly? They had no receivers the caliber of Fitzgerald, but they did have a pretty good line. Just sayin'...

OL you say? I know, you also mentioned QB. But didn't Kolb look pretty good when he played for Philly? They had no receivers the caliber of Fitzgerald, but they did have a pretty good line. Just sayin'...

Kolb was never that good in Philly. 7 TD's, 7 INT's, 78 QB Rating. Those were his numbers in 7 games (5 started) during his final season with the Eagles. Arizona thought he had potential, but so far he has not lived up to the expectations, and has had his struggles just being able to stay healthy.

I just have an actual question about Jonathan Martin. Isn't he a RT? This board would be pissed right now if he was drafted, because he's not a LT and then they wasted a 1st round pick on a RT last year in Carimi and technically gave up on Carimi after 3 career games.

I wouldn't have been upset, because that would have meant Carimi a guaranteed move to LT, and it would have signalled the end to the failed Webb experiment.

I wouldn't have been upset, because that would have meant Carimi a guaranteed move to LT, and it would have signalled the end to the failed Webb experiment.

Yeah but Carimi has been struggling much worse than Webb has this year, both in pass protection and penalties. If he can't hold his own on the right side, I don't want him on the left side, against the better pass rushers. I actually think a move to guard could be in his future because of his terrific run blocking skills. His pass blocking has just been so inept on the right side.

Yeah but Carimi has been struggling much worse than Webb has this year, both in pass protection and penalties. If he can't hold his own on the right side, I don't want him on the left side, against the better pass rushers. I actually think a move to guard could be in his future because of his terrific run blocking skills. His pass blocking has just been so inept on the right side.

Could it be that the dude was a LT for four years in college and the coaching staff selected him to be a RT? I mean, he is virtually a rookie this year because of last year's injury, and he's being asked to play the right side instead of the left, which really doesn't make sense since he should have been selected as a replacement for that scrub Webb.

He's a first round talent from an OL factory. I have faith he'll turn it around.

Could it be that the dude was a LT for four years in college and the coaching staff selected him to be a RT? I mean, he is virtually a rookie this year because of last year's injury, and he's being asked to play the right side instead of the left, which really doesn't make sense since he should have been selected as a replacement for that scrub Webb.

He's a first round talent from an OL factory. I have faith he'll turn it around.

I think Carimi being brought in to play RT was more because they had Webb (who started most of last year) and a previous 1st round pick in Williams for LT. Why put him there? That means you have two first round picks at the same position and only within a year of each other? Doesn't make much sense.

I agree with B4ever34 that I can see Carimi becoming a Guard before long. He's not the bigger size he once was when he came to Chicago. As another poster pointed out to me in a reply, Carimi has shed some fat weight and put on muscle weight. He looks smaller and probably will be faster...ingredients for a Guard. Something that could become VERY useful for an "out of the pocket passer" like Cutler.

I think Carimi being brought in to play RT was more because they had Webb (who started most of last year) and a previous 1st round pick in Williams for LT. Why put him there? That means you have two first round picks at the same position and only within a year of each other? Doesn't make much sense.

I agree with B4ever34 that I can see Carimi becoming a Guard before long. He's not the bigger size he once was when he came to Chicago. As another poster pointed out to me in a reply, Carimi has shed some fat weight and put on muscle weight. He looks smaller and probably will be faster...ingredients for a Guard. Something that could become VERY useful for an "out of the pocket passer" like Cutler.

I don't agree. Carimi is a tackle, you simply don't draft them in the 1st round to convert them to guard so quickly. He will get his weight and strength up in the off season and become the tackle we drafted him to be.

If it doesn't work out, you see the reason several of us clamor for more drafting of talented OL candidates. If it does, the same reasoning applies... B)

Well, it's pretty clear they weren't going to give Williams a fair shot at LT. So, actually they would have only had 1 first rounder there, and a 7th round guy who sucked the previous season, and every season he's been lucky enough to play in the NFL.

I don't agree. Carimi is a tackle, you simply don't draft them in the 1st round to convert them to guard so quickly. He will get his weight and strength up in the off season and become the tackle we drafted him to be.

If it doesn't work out, you see the reason several of us clamor for more drafting of talented OL candidates. If it does, the same reasoning applies... B)

Maybe, just maybe, after this year I could be ok with legitmizing (in my mind anyhow) a first round pick on an OT. However, after seeing it done twice in successive years (and in one case...failing) I'm hesitant. My opinion is those picks should be skill position players, if available. Of course people like Ryan Leaf, JMarcus Russel, Akili Smith and Andre Ware make my case that much more difficult.

We are in dire need of OL improvement.

But given that we'll be drafting 32nd, we may not find a worthy OT or G at that that spot.

Maybe, just maybe, after this year I could be ok with legitmizing (in my mind anyhow) a first round pick on an OT. However, after seeing it done twice in successive years (and in one case...failing) I'm hesitant. My opinion is those picks should be skill position players, if available. Of course people like Ryan Leaf, JMarcus Russel, Akili Smith and Andre Ware make my case that much more difficult.

We are in dire need of OL improvement.

But given that we'll be drafting 32nd, we may not find a worthy OT or G at that that spot.

Not to beat a dead horse but if the Bears pick 32nd (I like your way of thinking) the team is going to need to find out how to pay not only folks on a contract year. And after a Super Bowl win nonetheless, but Lovies new contract!!!!

:headbang