The TE Dilemma

jason

Let's do a quick breakdown:

Davis - Can't catch, can't run a route without being bumped off, is an average blocker

Spaeth - Can't catch, is an above average blocker

Rodriguez - Is supposed to have great catching ability, has shown average blocking

Why is Rodriguez not in the game instead of Davis and Spaeth?! Everyone is talking about pass-catching TE this and that, like it needs to be drafted or addressed in the off-season, but somehow Rodriguez is forgotten. WTF was the draft pick for if it wasn't going to be a player who gets used? Oh, that's right, he's not even in the TE meetings; he's an H-Back. Whatever the hell that means in the Bears' offense. I suspect it's code for "Mostly fullback, not really tight end, player that Lovie and staff like less than Kellen Davis."

Seriously, there is no reason why Rodriguez shouldn't be getting a serious increase in playing time. Normally with a young player the excuse "he would lessen the Bears ability to block adequately" is used. But that's not true since that's all Rodriguez has been asked to do. In fact, if he were brought in at TE/H-back, as the staff said they intended, then the Bears could have kept Clutts and had them both on the field at the same time. But instead, this move was premeditated, and Rodriguez is a H-back in name only. He's really just a replacement for Clutts, which is an indictment on Tice's inability to formulate an offensive gameplan that maximizes potential.

Rodriguez needs to be in the game at this point. Period.

One would think Rodriguez would get more looks as a TE replacement for Davis, but he's not even attending TE meetings in practice. They changed his position to FB, so I don't think you're ever going to see him replace any of the Bears TE's anytime soon. Still doesn't mean he can't get involved in the passing game though, and I look at a guy like Marcel Reece from Oakland as an example of what Rodriguez could do, if given the opportunity. Maybe a poor man's version. Whatever it is, it's certainly better than what we are currently getting/not getting out of Kellen Davis and Matt Spaeth.

I think you spell it out well...Rodriquez should start at TE...

Davis - Can't catch, can't run a route without being bumped off, is an average blocker

Rodriguez - Is supposed to have great catching ability, has shown average blocking

Why is Rodriguez not in the game instead of Davis and Spaeth?! Everyone is talking about pass-catching TE this and that, like it needs to be drafted or addressed in the off-season, but somehow Rodriguez is forgotten. WTF was the draft pick for if it wasn't going to be a player who gets used? Oh, that's right, he's not even in the TE meetings; he's an H-Back. Whatever the hell that means in the Bears' offense. I suspect it's code for "Mostly fullback, not really tight end, player that Lovie and staff like less than Kellen Davis."

Seriously, there is no reason why Rodriguez shouldn't be getting a serious increase in playing time. Normally with a young player the excuse "he would lessen the Bears ability to block adequately" is used. But that's not true since that's all Rodriguez has been asked to do. In fact, if he were brought in at TE/H-back, as the staff said they intended, then the Bears could have kept Clutts and had them both on the field at the same time. But instead, this move was premeditated, and Rodriguez is a H-back in name only. He's really just a replacement for Clutts, which is an indictment on Tice's inability to formulate an offensive gameplan that maximizes potential.

One would think Rodriguez would get more looks as a TE replacement for Davis, but he's not even attending TE meetings in practice. They changed his position to FB, so I don't think you're ever going to see him replace any of the Bears TE's anytime soon. Still doesn't mean he can't get involved in the passing game though, and I look at a guy like Marcel Reece from Oakland as an example of what Rodriguez could do, if given the opportunity. Maybe a poor man's version. Whatever it is, it's certainly better than what we are currently getting/not getting out of Kellen Davis and Matt Spaeth.

That's a huge coaching problem considering his draft purpose and the inadequacies of the current TEs.

What about Kyle Adams? Isn't he supposed to be the current best "pass catching" TE the team has?

What about Kyle Adams? Isn't he supposed to be the current best "pass catching" TE the team has?

Rodriguez has more toughness than Adams IMO and is just a better football player. Adams has had enough chances to show he belongs out there. I think it's time to move in a different direction. If nothing else let Rodriguez get out for some pass routes to mix things up a bit and give a different look from that personnel group.

He's certainly better at catching passes than Spaeth and Davis. Unfortunately, the Bears really need somebody that can both catch and block. You have to be able to block on this team, given the offensive tackle deficiencies on both sides.

Rodriguez has more toughness than Adams IMO and is just a better football player. Adams has had enough chances to show he belongs out there. I think it's time to move in a different direction. If nothing else let Rodriguez get out for some pass routes to mix things up a bit and give a different look from that personnel group.

I think it safe to say that Davis has had his chances to show he DOESN'T belong out there, so why not bring in new blood? I like the proposal Mad Lith had in showing Adams as H-back and your idea of letting Rodriguez play strictly more TE.

He's certainly better at catching passes than Spaeth and Davis. Unfortunately, the Bears really need somebody that can both catch and block. You have to be able to block on this team, given the offensive tackle deficiencies on both sides.

Or perhaps more reliable options for the quick pass? Like an H-back and/or TE configuration (that are actually able to catch)? Almost negates the stronger need of "better blocking" as the defenders now have a new wrinkle to defend.