Collin Klein

Alaskan Grizzly

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-sat...480--ncaaf.html

I know, I know, I decry the very idea of "mock drafts" but just finished reading the referenced Sports Illustrated article about the QB for the currently #1 ranked Wildcats. Base on it he seems he would be a fantastic pick for a town like Chicago. And "they" are expecting him not to go early on drafts... So why not?

Please don't tell me "we need OL help".

Guest TerraTor

I know, I know, I decry the very idea of "mock drafts" but just finished reading the article about the QB for the currently #1 ranked Wildcats. Base on it he seems he would be a fantastic pick for a town like Chicago. And "they" are expecting him not to go early on drafts... So why not?

Im about done with Cutler, but never get excited for rookie QBs

Im about done with Cutler, but never get excited for rookie QBs

Yeah it is hard to get too enthused. Especially given he is currently a Heisman contender and quite frankly reminds me of Tebow. But given his gritty way and that he might be a thought for 2nd or 3rd round material, could be worth it. I'll leave the first round pick for OL to appease the likes of Jason. But since the teams pick will be somewhere in the 30s (of the first round) not sure what kind of "find" you'll get.

What have I done? I may have opened up another mock draft discussion?!?! Stop me!!!

I know, I know, I decry the very idea of "mock drafts" but just finished reading the referenced Sports Illustrated article about the QB for the currently #1 ranked Wildcats. Base on it he seems he would be a fantastic pick for a town like Chicago. And "they" are expecting him not to go early on drafts... So why not?

We need Oline help but separate from that how does a weak-arm QB improve our team? Now granted, the guy is big and he can run and considering you don't want to improve our Oline that would be a good thing to have in a QB.

Leaving Oline out of the discussion (Jason will never do this) we need to pass on him we have far greater needs especially at LB and CB.

We need Oline help but separate from that how does a weak-arm QB improve our team? Now granted, the guy is big and he can run and considering you don't want to improve our Oline that would be a good thing to have in a QB.

Leaving Oline out of the discussion (Jason will never do this) we need to pass on him we have far greater needs especially at LB and CB.

Of course as fate would have it, the day I bring this up K-State loses its first place ranking.

But even if Klein has a "weak arm" I think his passing accuracy should count for something. And the more read about him it looks as though (especially with yestrdays loss) he might be available in later rounds.

And for the record, I never said I "don't want to improve the O-line" just that it's a wasted pick at 1 or 2.

And last but not least, the team helped itself at LB with McClellin. And both Tillman and Jennings are doing fine this year. Other than Tillman getting long in tooth, Jennings is pretty young. Didn't the team already draft a CB this year? Think he's sitting on IR right now.

Horrible idea. And since you don't want me to tell you why, I'll leave the thread.

Not a chance.. While a great football player and great college QB..He will not be a great NFL qb...Arm strength is not there..Also doesnt have the best release either.

Allright Jason enough of your pompous ass smarminess. You're so friggin smart, take over the team and lead them to the promised land.

Call it what you want, but anyone who wants to draft a QB for the Bears this year, unless it's a late round pick, doesn't have a damn clue about football. QB is probably lower than 10th on the list of needs for the Bears.

And spare me the tired "you should do it" argument. That's simply not feasible, and it's a weak non-excuse for the flaws that continually get displayed year after year after year under Lovie.

Call it what you want, but anyone who wants to draft a QB for the Bears this year, unless it's a late round pick, doesn't have a damn clue about football. QB is probably lower than 10th on the list of needs for the Bears.

And spare me the tired "you should do it" argument. That's simply not feasible, and it's a weak non-excuse for the flaws that continually get displayed year after year after year under Lovie.

When I talk about "you doing it" I mean to say that if you had your way the team would draft oline every round. The problem is you think you're smarter than most everyone else. The point I'm making is if you were so football smart youd be coaching and not Lovie. I've disproved your theory that OL should be picked in the early rounds because the Bears have done it twice and failed once and are on the way to doing it again. Skill players should be picked in the early rounds. More value. And for the record, I amended my thought on this kid being picked in round 2-4 and would be ok with a late flyer for him.

Come down off your high horse and mingle with us lowly common folk. We really aren't all that less educated than you.

When I talk about "you doing it" I mean to say that if you had your way the team would draft oline every round. The problem is you think you're smarter than most everyone else. The point I'm making is if you were so football smart youd be coaching and not Lovie. I've disproved your theory that OL should be picked in the early rounds because the Bears have done it twice and failed once and are on the way to doing it again. Skill players should be picked in the early rounds. More value. And for the record, I amended my thought on this kid being picked in round 2-4 and would be ok with a late flyer for him.

Come down off your high horse and mingle with us lowly common folk. We really aren't all that less educated than you.

You want to say that, but it's simply not true. I've stated numerous times on this board for numerous years that it wouldn't be all OL, but I certainly would fix the OL problem instead of ignoring it or disregarding it.

In regards to the "you'd be coaching"-nonsense, that's simply not true. There are countless reasons why one person goes into coaching and one does not. Lovie was involved with football at a higher level, and had connections that piqued his interest. I did not.

And if you think you have disproved the "draft OL early"-concept you're sorely mistaken. First, look at all the 1st round talent trucking over the Bears' vaunted D right now. Second, go look at the last time the Bears had a Super Bowl team and tell me what rounds the OL that year were drafted. Third, please learn something about LTs in the NFL, and realize that the prize possessions go early. Most starting LT studs don't come from the 7th round. You'll then begin to see a correlation. Someone in the other thread did mention, however, that it's odd that Williams and Carimi have degraded since arriving in Chicago. I've never been a fan of Tice, and I agree that coaching has a part in all this.

Its not that it should be every pick, but at least one every year in rounds one through 3. Not every pick makes it, but you have to keep plugging. A great offensive line will make an above average rb a hof'er. As we watch tonight's disaster, I'd like to hear what the Cutler critics have to say.

Its not that it should be every pick, but at least one every year in rounds one through 3. Not every pick makes it, but you have to keep plugging. A great offensive line will make an above average rb a hof'er. As we watch tonight's disaster, I'd like to hear what the Cutler critics have to say.

Precisely.

Campbell is on a 1 year deal according to the Google, so I wouldn't say that QB depth is useless for the Bears. In fact, I might well put it up there with middle linebacker depth, depending on what happens with Urlacher's contract before the draft next offseason and whether or not he finishes the season healthy. If the Bears staff, whoever that is, likes a middle-of-the-draft QB next year, and can get him in round 3-5, then that's a reasonable use of resources. It frees up a couple million that could be spent in free agency and doesn't remove the Bears' ability to add O-Line players in the upper rounds. Either money in free agency or a draft pick is going to have to be spent on the QB position for the Bears next offseason, if for no other reason than their current backup QB isn't under contract.

Campbell is on a 1 year deal according to the Google, so I wouldn't say that QB depth is useless for the Bears. In fact, I might well put it up there with middle linebacker depth, depending on what happens with Urlacher's contract before the draft next offseason and whether or not he finishes the season healthy. If the Bears staff, whoever that is, likes a middle-of-the-draft QB next year, and can get him in round 3-5, then that's a reasonable use of resources. It frees up a couple million that could be spent in free agency and doesn't remove the Bears' ability to add O-Line players in the upper rounds. Either money in free agency or a draft pick is going to have to be spent on the QB position for the Bears next offseason, if for no other reason than their current backup QB isn't under contract.

I don't see the Bears using a draft pick as a #2 back up for Jay Cutler. With his injury history, they will definately want a serviceable vet IMO.

Worrying about backup QB is the least of our problems. What backup QB on earth could have done a damn thing last night?(maybe a kid who can run) Campbell sucked last week too. People lost their job last year because our backup plan was so horrible. Was it the backup plan or was it the OL was just F'n horrible? We need new recievers, check. Sign Forte and backup, check. Sign backup for Cutty, check? Sign 5 horrible TE's, check. Sign a bunch of STer's, check. What's left? OL...

I disagreed to the above mentioned plan when it unfolded, with the exception of Bush. I'm hoping Emery isn't JA 2.0.

Actually as I was beginning my formulation of a response to Jason and his friend Brian I was thinking exactly this . Odd how they both have the same first name.

By the by, thanks for the thought out response.

Um, yeah, but there is a major flaw to the stupid response: Kapernick played against the Bears defense and Campbell played against the Niners defense. Another obvious flaw to the response would be the fact that the Bears OL is the worst in the NFL, and the Niners OL is one of the best.

Aside from that, please tell me you're not making the ignorant "they're the same poster"-argument. Brian and I have vehemently disagreed on this board before. It's not our fault you made a stupid post about drafting a QB fairly high when it's plain to see to anyone with any sort of football sense that the QB is not the issue on the Bears team.

it's plain to see to anyone with any sort of football sense that the QB is not the issue on the Bears team.

We could go in a lot more depth on this...I think the right reply is "I'm not sure you're not wrong, but it's impossible to say for sure with the support the QB has gotten".

I think Cutler could be doing a lot of things better. His decision making has been slow, he's been way to slow to get rid of the ball, he waits way too long to see if a deep route develops, he's usually good for one "what in the world were you thinking" throw per game and he hesitates to make use of his feet and get out of the pocket while trying to make something happen.

But that said...when the O line isn't giving him time, when the running game isn't there, when the TE can't catch, when the coaches don't call plays to move the chains or get him out of the pocket, and when Marshall is his only option who is playing well, you can only hang so much on him.

So yeah, Cutler might be part of the problem...but if you can't change the other things, then it's hard to say that you can get better by changing from Cutler to anything else.

We have one certainty in the mix. The OL is garbage. Fix the OL and if the QB still is bad, then fix the QB. Fixing the QB will only have the potential of making the QB play slightly better. Fixing the OL, has the potential of making the entire offense significantly better.

We could go in a lot more depth on this...I think the right reply is "I'm not sure you're not wrong, but it's impossible to say for sure with the support the QB has gotten".

I think Cutler could be doing a lot of things better. His decision making has been slow, he's been way to slow to get rid of the ball, he waits way too long to see if a deep route develops, he's usually good for one "what in the world were you thinking" throw per game and he hesitates to make use of his feet and get out of the pocket while trying to make something happen.

But that said...when the O line isn't giving him time, when the running game isn't there, when the TE can't catch, when the coaches don't call plays to move the chains or get him out of the pocket, and when Marshall is his only option who is playing well, you can only hang so much on him.

So yeah, Cutler might be part of the problem...but if you can't change the other things, then it's hard to say that you can get better by changing from Cutler to anything else.