Hey jason

Ed Hochuli 3:16

I wonder if people still think the OL should be ignored... :banghead

Wait a few weeks, they will be. It happens every freaking year. It's as if many Bears' fans, the majority of sports media, and certainly all mock draft sites don't have long-term memory and just look at the end of year stats.

Wait a few weeks, they will be. It happens every freaking year. It's as if many Bears' fans, the majority of sports media, and certainly all mock draft sites don't have long-term memory and just look at the end of year stats.

It's amazing how some people want a QB in the draft. LOL. A quarterback? The fact that Cutler has the team at 7-3 should get him an extension yesterday. This OL is the reason he has this concussion anyway. They were the reason he got his in 2010 as well. What in the f*** would Colin Klein do with this OL?

It's amazing how some people want a QB in the draft. LOL. A quarterback? The fact that Cutler has the team at 7-3 should get him an extension yesterday. This OL is the reason he has this concussion anyway. They were the reason he got his in 2010 as well. What in the f*** would Colin Klein do with this OL?

Ok Brian, since you and Jason apparently share similar tastes, I'll share with both of you. Maybe it'll give you something to discuss during your next slumber party.

First, and the easist to counter, is that Cutler has reportedly had as many as six concussions. He has not gotten all of those while playing for the Bears. Why? Because he is AN OUT OF THE POCKET PASSER. He likes to scramble. In fact, in the hit last week when we got hurt where was he? OUT OF THE POCKET. Hell he was 5-7 yards in front of it. So contrary to your statement, the "OL is NOT the reason".

Jason wanted me to "learn about LT's" since I apparently know nothing of them. I considered this thought and figured why not. Here's what I found. And keep in mind I focused on "1st round talent".

First, in our own conference. Bryan Baluga (with GB) 1st round 2010 draft. Where does GB rate in the Run offense? 26th. And if I'm not mistaken, Rodgers has been one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

How about Branden Albert of Kansas City? 1st round 2008. Where is the "HOF runner?" How about their passer? Matt Cassel? He is not only not liked by the fan base, he was cheered when he was recently injured. But what's more, his backup, Brady Quinn was just cleared to play after receiving his own consussion.

And the sitution in Pittsburgh is eerily familiar, but with all the "star studded" linemen. Save their most recent 2011 #2 pick, Marcus Gilbert, because he is hurt. But some of the other linemen, to include Mike Adams (RD 2, 2012) and Max Starks (RD 3, 2004) haven't fared much better. Pitt line Not to mention Roethlesburger is out with multiple injuries due to being run over in a game recently.

And how about those highly touted San Fran 49ers that Jason said ran over the Bears D last night? Where was their starting QB during the game? Sitting on the sideline with a concussion. In comes Colin Kaepernick and the rest is history. Was it because of the Oline play? Hmmm.

In the article attached is a list of the "top 20 Offensive Tackles" currently in the NFL. Top OLmen

Of the top 11, six were drafted in the first round. To include the aforementioned Bulaga and Albert. The top three (Stewart, Clabo and Peters) were all picked in the 4th round - Stewart or (in the case of the other two) not even drafted to begin with. So with odds outside of 50/50 I can't say with certainty that Offensive Tackle position is the one to take each and every time for the first round. At least not as much as you or Jason would like to convince me.

Ok Brian, since you and Jason apparently share similar tastes, I'll share with both of you. Maybe it'll give you something to discuss during your next slumber party.

First, and the easist to counter, is that Cutler has reportedly had as many as six concussions. He has not gotten all of those while playing for the Bears. Why? Because he is AN OUT OF THE POCKET PASSER. He likes to scramble. In fact, in the hit last week when we got hurt where was he? OUT OF THE POCKET. Hell he was 5-7 yards in front of it. So contrary to your statement, the "OL is NOT the reason".

He likes to scramble? It looks like he is scrambling out of a need. The pocket collapses and he runs out. The last concussion wasn't directly related to OLine play, but it contributed to it.

Also, we don't need a Top 20 OT, I would take a reliable starter at this point.

He likes to scramble? It looks like he is scrambling out of a need. The pocket collapses and he runs out. The last concussion wasn't directly related to OLine play, but it contributed to it.

Also, we don't need a Top 20 OT, I would take a reliable starter at this point.

The offensive line had nothing to do with why he got a concussion. As Grizzly mentioned, he was outside of the pocket. On that particular play, none of his receivers were open and the pocket collapsed, which forced him to make a play with his feet. The offensive line didn't tell him to pump fake and hold on to the ball as long as he did before taking a hit. He either should have slid or threw it to Hester earlier instead of opening himself up to hits like that. If I can recall, the concussion he suffered back in 2010 was directly related to an offensive lineman missing a block. Not this one.

Well, to begin with, he was repeatedly forced out of the pocket vs Houston. You say "out of the pocket passer" like he's RG3. He likes to throw on boot legs and roll outs, yes, but he'd prefer to throw in the pocket. Do you think those 3 runs he had were the play call? He ran because the pocket was collapsing. Did the OL force him to triple clutch and then throw and get concussed? No, but had they blocked better, he could've stayed in the pocket.

Jason wanted me to "learn about LT's" since I apparently know nothing of them. I considered this thought and figured why not. Here's what I found. And keep in mind I focused on "1st round talent".

First, in our own conference. Bryan Baluga (with GB) 1st round 2010 draft. Where does GB rate in the Run offense? 26th. And if I'm not mistaken, Rodgers has been one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

So, we went from talking about the Bears' horrific pass blocking OL to talking about the fact that the Green Bay Packers took an OT in the first round in 2010 and now their running game sucks. I don't think I catch your drift, but I assume it might be that taking an OT in round 1 won't solve all the issues. I will say that the RB's Green Bay has had since 2010 have been nothing but crap.

How about Branden Albert of Kansas City? 1st round 2008. Where is the "HOF runner?" How about their passer? Matt Cassel? He is not only not liked by the fan base, he was cheered when he was recently injured. But what's more, his backup, Brady Quinn was just cleared to play after receiving his own consussion.

What does Branden Albert have to do with the fact that Matt Cassell is horrible? Matt Cassell is the worst QB in football. He'd be this bad on just about any other team. And in any other case, I'd just skip your next point about their "HOF runner" because I already said we were talking about pass blocking OL's, not run blocking OL's, but you made this WAY too easy on me...while he might not be in the Hall of Fame, you might want to look up Jamaal Charles' stats, because he might be some day.

And the sitution in Pittsburgh is eerily familiar, but with all the "star studded" linemen. Save their most recent 2011 #2 pick, Marcus Gilbert, because he is hurt. But some of the other linemen, to include Mike Adams (RD 2, 2012) and Max Starks (RD 3, 2004) haven't fared much better. Pitt line Not to mention Roethlesburger is out with multiple injuries due to being run over in a game recently.

Roethlisberger is out with "multiple injuries?" He has broken ribs. That's ONE injury. And yeah, that's an interesting link. "Steelers OL slowly improving." I wish the Bears OL was "slowly improving."

And how about those highly touted San Fran 49ers that Jason said ran over the Bears D last night? Where was their starting QB during the game? Sitting on the sideline with a concussion. In comes Colin Kaepernick and the rest is history. Was it because of the Oline play? Hmmm.

The Bears had 1 sack all game, and Kaepernick had 5-7 seconds every dropback to throw. I know this might be hard for you to process, but 3 of the 5 starting linemen for SF were picked in round 1. Moving on, The 49ers rushed 3 and 4 guys all game long and had a lot of sacks. What exactly is your point?

In the article attached is a list of the "top 20 Offensive Tackles" currently in the NFL. Top OLmen

Oh, a Bleacher Report article. Credibility to the highest extent here.

Of the top 11, six were drafted in the first round. To include the aforementioned Bulaga and Albert. The top three (Stewart, Clabo and Peters) were all picked in the 4th round - Stewart or (in the case of the other two) not even drafted to begin with. So with odds outside of 50/50 I can't say with certainty that Offensive Tackle position is the one to take each and every time for the first round. At least not as much as you or Jason would like to convince me.

So, 50% of the best offensive linemen in the NFL were taken in round 1, and your argument is that taking one in round 1 is a bad idea? Yeah, maybe you should attend these slumber parties.

All I have to say is where is the commissioner's office in all this? I mean if the safety committee suspends Ed Reed after his most recent alleged illegal hit but now changed it to $50k fine than I argue why have they failed to investigate and atleast try suspending the entire Bears front office for continually placing their own qbs in harm's way behind this less than inferiorating and OFFENSIVE LINE????

It's sad that the hostess union and maker of the twinkies union has more power than the NFL players union?

Musin Mohamed had this wrong; it's Quarterbacks that come to Chicago to die; not widerecievers!!!

I should have stopped reading here. If you're going to so ignorantly try to say "LT = total run offense rank" then it's not worth even discussing this with you because you clearly aren't open to anything at all, and you still apparently don't understand how the game of football works.

Again, the LT is 1/5 of the OL. Maybe it's the fraction thing that's slowing you down? Nonetheless, their RB is Jamaal Charles. Perhaps you've heard of him? He was 3rd in the NFL in rushing in 2010, got hurt last year, and is in the top ten this year. Also, interestingly enough, despite having a down year this year, he's got better stats than Forte.

You must not have NFL Sunday Ticket, go to sports bars, or watch many other games besides the Bears games. The reason Rapelisburger gets hurt is because he holds the ball approximately the same amount of time as Fran Tarkenton and Jay Cutler combined. And aside from that, he mistakenly thinks he's a LB playing QB. Also, the only reason they don't lead the Bears in just about every offensive category (like usual) is their RBs have been decimated by injury. There is no comparison between the Pitt offense and the Chicago offense.

Wow. This is sub-moronic. Unless it's the NFL Sunday Ticket thing again, you have to realize Smith was injured because he scrambled outside of the pocket, and instead of sliding or attacking the tackle like anyone who has ever played football would do, he turned his back and approached the hit blindly. Here's the play since you clearly haven't seen it:

6 out of 11 you say? So what you're saying is, of the "Top 10" OTs (which is up for debate), over 50% were drafted in the first round? And of the "Top 15" nine were taken in the first round (60%)? Oh, and six left over, two were in the second round (73%), one was in the third (80%), and one was in the fourth? (87%)

Nobody is saying you have to draft OT in the first round for him to be successful. But it sure improves the odds.

Nobody is saying you have to draft OT in the first two rounds for him to be successful. But it tremendously improves the odds.

Nobody is saying you have to draft OT in the first three rounds for him to be successful. But it nearly guarantees the odds.

What those in favor of drafting OT are saying is, the Bears may have crapped out with Williams. Maybe even with Carimi (I think it's too early to tell). But just because you rolled the dice twice doesn't mean snake-eyes will continue to appear. In terms of OT, the more you roll the dice early, the more likely you are to have success. It's actually kind of stupid this has to be pointed out to you since it pretty much applies to all positions. Higher drafted players have a statistically significant higher success rate than those in the lower rounds and those undrafted. It's the type of inattention that typifies why the Bears' OL has failed so often, and why the DL has succeeded.

So, 50% of the best offensive linemen in the NFL were taken in round 1, and your argument is that taking one in round 1 is a bad idea? Yeah, maybe you should attend these slumber parties.

Classic.

i'm not sure this link to the bleacher report is supporting your assumptions.

Bleacher Report - Top 20 Offensive Tackles in the NFL: Using Advanced Stats to Select the Best OTs

20. Marcus Gilbert - 2nd round - RT

19. Joe Staley - 1st round - RT, LT

18. Matt Light - 2nd round - LT

17. Michael Roos - 2nd round - RT, LT

16. Duane Brown - 1st round - LT

15. Andre Smith - 1st round - RT

14. Trent Williams - 1st round - LT

13. D’Brickashaw Ferguson - 1st round - LT

12. Eric Winston - 3rd round - RT

11. Bryan Bulaga - 1st round - RT

10. Andrew Whitworth - 2nd round - LG, LT

9. Tyron Smith - 1st round - RT, LT

8. Sebastian Vollmer - 2nd round - RT

7. Jake Long - 1st round - LT

6. Eugene Monroe - 1st round - LT

5. Branden Albert - 1st round - LT

4. Joe Thomas - 1st round - LT

3. Jason Peters - undrafted free agent - TE, RT, LT

2. Tyson Clabo - undrafted free agent - bounced around on practice squad till falcons - LT

1. David Stewart - 4th round - RT

what this reads like to me is...

1. that of the top tackles left or right in the NFL 11 of these were drafted in the first round; 5 were drafted in the 2nd round; 1 in the 3rd round; 1 in the 4th round; and TWO were undrafted free agents. a total of 51.5% of the top tackles were first day draft picks (rounds 1-3). a total of 3% were drafted in round 4; and to cap it off 6% were undrafted. those are staggering percentages.

2. left tackle: over 27% were first round draft picks; 9% were 2nd round picks; 0% were 3rd round picks; 0% 4th round picks; 6% were undrafted. or a total of over 33% of the best of the best were first day picks and in this case rounds one and two.

these percentages speak volumes of where you want to look for high quality offensive tackles.

left tackle: over 27% were first round draft picks; 9% were 2nd round picks; 0% were 3rd round picks; 0% 4th round picks; 6% were undrafted. or a total of over 33% of the best of the best were first day picks and in this case rounds one and two.

Lucky,

Check your math. Out of the top 20 tackles, 13 of them are left. Out of the 13, 9 were 1st rounders. That's 69% not 27.

Lucky,

Check your math. Out of the top 20 tackles, 13 of them are left. Out of the 13, 9 were 1st rounders. That's 69% not 27.

i will concede i am poor to say the least at math. but if i did it correctly, i used these percentages as the NFL as a whole which included the 33 teams.

maybe these are wrong too? LOL... like i said math is not my forte. it looks way more convincing with your out of the top 20 percentages though.

Classic.

Oh how quaint. Aren't you just soooo cute?

I think the point, which I know you both missed, is that of the top 11 that were first rounders, I was able to illustrate not all of them were successful. Baluga and Albert to name two. Then of the remaining 1st rounders; Monroe, Thomas and Whitworth it is still in the cards whether they were/are/will be successful. I mean really, we're talking Jaguars (remember the game where Chicago won 41-3 and got three sacks?), Browns (who?) and Bengals. How have these teams benefited from LT play?

I think the point, which I know you both missed, is that of the top 11 that were first rounders, I was able to illustrate not all of them were successful. Baluga and Albert to name two. Then of the remaining 1st rounders; Monroe, Thomas and Whitworth it is still in the cards whether they were/are/will be successful. I mean really, we're talking Jaguars (remember the game where Chicago won 41-3 and got three sacks?), Browns (who?) and Bengals. How have these teams benefited from LT play?

Did you just ask who Joe Thomas is?

If you set up your own strawman to destroy (something you've done), it's easy to make your point.

Nobody said, "OMG! The only time a LT should EVER be drafted is the first round!!" We're all just saying that the OL should have been addressed multiple years ago, multiple years in a row, all until the shit gets fixed. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? Are you blind? Do you watch the games? Have you read anything regarding how the Bears' QBs have been absolutely brutalized the last several years?

As for what you "proved," you've only really proved that you don't have a clue about statistics and percentages (hint: divide the little number by the big number). Please read all the people above you who have pointed this out to you. Drafting OTs early statistically strengthens the odds of drafting one who succeeds.

And, for the second time, it's completely ignorant to try and equate a single player's ability with a team's success. No LT in the NFL will make an offense work if the LG, C, RG, and RT all take turns completely sucking. Again, divide the little number (one) by the big number (five) and you'll see how much individual impact a LT has on an entire OL.

If you set up your own strawman to destroy (something you've done), it's easy to make your point.

Nobody said, "OMG! The only time a LT should EVER be drafted is the first round!!" We're all just saying that the OL should have been addressed multiple years ago, multiple years in a row, all until the shit gets fixed. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? Are you blind? Do you watch the games? Have you read anything regarding how the Bears' QBs have been absolutely brutalized the last several years?

What was it Einstein said about repeating something...?? And I've said, numerous times, that the team DID address OLman (TWO YEARS IN A ROW) with the first pick. Both have flopped. Do you try again for a third time and hope that he too isn't a flop? Doing it multiple years in a row...given the already proven track record proves nothing else except maybe insanity. I'm better with paying big money on a proven player (through FA) than I am on an unproven through draft, especially at OLman.

As for what you "proved," you've only really proved that you don't have a clue about statistics and percentages (hint: divide the little number by the big number). Please read all the people above you who have pointed this out to you. Drafting OTs early statistically strengthens the odds of drafting one who succeeds.

Maybe, if as you would prefer, do it every year. But our team (or any other) can't afford to do that. Kind of like when Matt Millen was the GM for Detroit. He held the belief he needed the top WR each and every year. What has he got to show for it? Did good with Megatron, but he's (Millen) no longer there.

*edit* And before I close, you have repeatedly asked why I keep using the LT position to measure the productivity of the whole (this case the Oline). But it was you that suggested I educate myself about the LT. So I did. "Third, please learn something about LTs in the NFL, and realize that the prize possessions go early. Most starting LT studs don't come from the 7th round. You'll then begin to see a correlation."

In response to a post by Brian:

"Well, to begin with, he was repeatedly forced out of the pocket vs Houston. You say "out of the pocket passer" like he's RG3." - who, by the way, has his own concussion to deal with this year. But yes, Cutler normally is an "out of the pocket" passer. And he likes to scramble, so yes..they are similar.

"He likes to throw on boot legs and roll outs, yes, but he'd prefer to throw in the pocket. Do you think those 3 runs he had were the play call? He ran because the pocket was collapsing. Did the OL force him to triple clutch and then throw and get concussed? No, but had they blocked better, he could've stayed in the pocket." - How many times have you heard, I know I have, the announcers say that he was known to do it (scramble) in Vanderbilt and Denver? Hell, Shanahan built part of his offense on the predication that Cutler was a scrambler.

So, we went from talking about the Bears' horrific pass blocking OL to talking about the fact that the Green Bay Packers took an OT in the first round in 2010 and now their running game sucks. I don't think I catch your drift, but I assume it might be that taking an OT in round 1 won't solve all the issues. I will say that the RB's Green Bay has had since 2010 have been nothing but crap. Again, the point being "Jason wanted me to learn about LT". Because I had no knowledge of it. So I turned to a source to check where the "Top 20 tackles" played and used that as the basis.

What does Branden Albert have to do with the fact that Matt Cassell is horrible? Matt Cassell is the worst QB in football. He'd be this bad on just about any other team. And in any other case, I'd just skip your next point about their "HOF runner" because I already said we were talking about pass blocking OL's, not run blocking OL's, but you made this WAY too easy on me...while he might not be in the Hall of Fame, you might want to look up Jamaal Charles' stats, because he might be some day. First off, the difference between 'might' and 'actual' are like comparing Peyton Manning to Ryan Leaf. It was done before and you're doing it now. And as far as diffentiating between an OL who is better at pass blocking than at run blocking is ludicrous because you can't change out the line for the type of scheme you need. You would hope they do both well.

Roethlisberger is out with "multiple injuries?" He has broken ribs. That's ONE injury. And yeah, that's an interesting link. "Steelers OL slowly improving." I wish the Bears OL was "slowly improving." - Reports say Roethlisberger has a significant rib injury and a sprained shoulder (hence the sling). So MORE THAN one injury doens not equal "ONE" injury. And his rib is dislocated, not broken.

The Bears had 1 sack all game, and Kaepernick had 5-7 seconds every dropback to throw. I know this might be hard for you to process, but 3 of the 5 starting linemen for SF were picked in round 1. Moving on, The 49ers rushed 3 and 4 guys all game long and had a lot of sacks. What exactly is your point? - The point in this is that their "starting" QB is out with a concussion. Why? Because he was scrambling. Why was he scrambling?

Oh, a Bleacher Report article. Credibility to the highest extent here. - You remind me of folks I discuss politics with. Especially those in disagreement to me. Doesn't matter how much fact I can show them, if it isn't what they want to hear they will denounce it. A source is a source.

So, 50% of the best offensive linemen in the NFL were taken in round 1, and your argument is that taking one in round 1 is a bad idea? - yes. And I have said more than a few times why I think this way.

In response to a post by Brian:

"Well, to begin with, he was repeatedly forced out of the pocket vs Houston. You say "out of the pocket passer" like he's RG3." - who, by the way, has his own concussion to deal with this year. But yes, Cutler normally is an "out of the pocket" passer. And he likes to scramble, so yes..they are similar.

**Dude, RG3 and Jay Cutler's playing styles are not similar. He ran at Vanderbilt for the same reason he runs here- he HAS to to avoid being hit. He has said himself numerous times that he always wants to avoid having to scramble.

"He likes to throw on boot legs and roll outs, yes, but he'd prefer to throw in the pocket. Do you think those 3 runs he had were the play call? He ran because the pocket was collapsing. Did the OL force him to triple clutch and then throw and get concussed? No, but had they blocked better, he could've stayed in the pocket." - How many times have you heard, I know I have, the announcers say that he was known to do it (scramble) in Vanderbilt and Denver? Hell, Shanahan built part of his offense on the predication that Cutler was a scrambler.

**Once again, he was known to scramble at Vanderbilt because his OL was a bunch of lawyers and doctors. He scrambled in Denver because that was Shanahan's offense. The Bears' offense now is not the same as Shanahan's. Therefore, he will not scramble with the Bears unless it's a QB draw close to the goal line or he's forced to because Carimi/Webb/Spencer are horrific pass blockers.

So, we went from talking about the Bears' horrific pass blocking OL to talking about the fact that the Green Bay Packers took an OT in the first round in 2010 and now their running game sucks. I don't think I catch your drift, but I assume it might be that taking an OT in round 1 won't solve all the issues. I will say that the RB's Green Bay has had since 2010 have been nothing but crap. Again, the point being "Jason wanted me to learn about LT". Because I had no knowledge of it. So I turned to a source to check where the "Top 20 tackles" played and used that as the basis.

**No, you just spoke about the correlation between the Packers taking an OT and their running game still being bad.

What does Branden Albert have to do with the fact that Matt Cassell is horrible? Matt Cassell is the worst QB in football. He'd be this bad on just about any other team. And in any other case, I'd just skip your next point about their "HOF runner" because I already said we were talking about pass blocking OL's, not run blocking OL's, but you made this WAY too easy on me...while he might not be in the Hall of Fame, you might want to look up Jamaal Charles' stats, because he might be some day. First off, the difference between 'might' and 'actual' are like comparing Peyton Manning to Ryan Leaf. It was done before and you're doing it now. And as far as diffentiating between an OL who is better at pass blocking than at run blocking is ludicrous because you can't change out the line for the type of scheme you need. You would hope they do both well.

**So, in your eyes, Ryan Leaf is to Peyton Manning as Jamaal Charles to a HOF RB? You really need NFL Sunday Ticket.

Roethlisberger is out with "multiple injuries?" He has broken ribs. That's ONE injury. And yeah, that's an interesting link. "Steelers OL slowly improving." I wish the Bears OL was "slowly improving." - Reports say Roethlisberger has a significant rib injury and a sprained shoulder (hence the sling). So MORE THAN one injury doens not equal "ONE" injury. And his rib is dislocated, not broken.

**His ribs broke and almost punctured his aorta. His shoulder was hurt but not significant enough where if it was by itself, he wouldn't have played on Sunday. Danny Amendola had the same injury and was also in a sling.

The Bears had 1 sack all game, and Kaepernick had 5-7 seconds every dropback to throw. I know this might be hard for you to process, but 3 of the 5 starting linemen for SF were picked in round 1. Moving on, The 49ers rushed 3 and 4 guys all game long and had a lot of sacks. What exactly is your point? - The point in this is that their "starting" QB is out with a concussion. Why? Because he was scrambling. Why was he scrambling?

**I did not see the whole play where Smith was concussed. Highlights, yes, but not the full play. From the highlights, it seemed as if he was scrambling to make a throw, tucked it in, fell, and got leveled.

Oh, a Bleacher Report article. Credibility to the highest extent here. - You remind me of folks I discuss politics with. Especially those in disagreement to me. Doesn't matter how much fact I can show them, if it isn't what they want to hear they will denounce it. A source is a source.

**No, this is not "a source." I can sign up for Bleacher Report right now and write something. So could my 87 year old grandmother. That doesn't make it credible. Try ESPN, CBS, Sporting News, etc.

So, 50% of the best offensive linemen in the NFL were taken in round 1, and your argument is that taking one in round 1 is a bad idea? - yes. And I have said more than a few times why I think this way.

**Yeah, and it still doesn't make much sense.