The Circadian Advantage

Bears4Ever_34

http://deadspin.com/5934440/the-circadian-...rtain-nfl-teams

Heard this brought up on the radio today, and found it to be a bit of mind blowing information. To give you the skinny, basically, the Circadian rhythm deals with our body temperature and overall alertness level based on the time of day. How is this relevant? Well, Stanford University did a study with NFL Monday Night Football games, when a West Coast team is matched up against an East Coast team, and over the last 25 years, the teams out West have won an astounding 63% of the time by an average of 2 TOUCHDOWNS. What's more, the team out west beat the spread 70% of the time! The West Coast teams dominated their East Coast opponents no matter where they played, because players on the West Coast team are playing at their equivalent of 5:30 p.m., no matter if the game is in Seattle or Miami.

According to the study, most people tend to perk up around 9:00 AM without the supplement of any caffeine products, and then around 2:00 you start to feel like you need a nap. At 6:00 is when you start to get a second wind, and the body is at its peak performance level. That lasts until around 10:00 PM when the body starts telling you that it's time for sleep. That subtle effect on an athletes body can give you an advantage if your a player for a west coast team, where as those East coasters actually work at a disadvantage because in the 2nd half of a MNF game they are playing at approximately 11:00 PM-12:00 AM their time, while the body has already starting shutting down. This is one of the more interesting things I've ever come across, related to sports. There's more at the link. I suggest reading it through. Might explain why the Bears lost as badly as they did.

This is all very true and it does work the other way....west coast do not fare well in the early games on the east coast. While I can understand all this it doesn't explain a team that was seemingly unprepared for the offensive plays the 49ers ran. Nor did our offense look prepared to take advantage of the 49ers weaknesses on D. I've seen the 49ers play a bit here and there throughout the season. We made them look more dominant than any other time I've seen them this year.

This is all very true and it does work the other way....west coast do not fare well in the early games on the east coast. While I can understand all this it doesn't explain a team that was seemingly unprepared for the offensive plays the 49ers ran. Nor did our offense look prepared to take advantage of the 49ers weaknesses on D. I've seen the 49ers play a bit here and there throughout the season. We made them look more dominant than any other time I've seen them this year.

I just think it's insane how a Western team wins by an average of 2 touchdowns 63% of the time in these matchups.