NFC Playoff picture: A look ahead

Bears4Ever_34

It's getting to be that time again. We are closing in on the 4th quarter of the season. The Bears are currently 3rd in the NFC North at 8-6. With 2 games remaining, lets take a look at the playoff picture, the way things currently stand today. I'll be updating this as the weeks go by.

*Updated as of 12/29/12*

1- Atlanta Falcons (13-2): vs NO, @ CAR, vs NYG, @ DET, vs TB

2- Green Bay Packers (11-4): vs MIN, vs DET, @ CHI, vs TEN, @ MIN

3- San Francisco 49'ers (10-4-1): @ STL, vs MIA, @ NE, @ SEA, vs ARZ

4- Washington Redskins (9-6): vs NYG, vs BAL, @ CLE, @ PHI, vs DAL

5- Seattle Seahawks (10-5): @ CHI, vs ARZ, @ BUF, vs SF, vs STL

6- Minnesota Vikings (9-6): @ GB, vs CHI, @ STL, @ HOU, vs GB

Chicago Bears (9-6): vs SEA, @ MIN, vs GB, @ ARZ, @ DET

Dallas Cowboys (8-7): vs PHI, @ CIN, vs PIT, vs NO, @ WAS

New York Giants (8-7): @ WAS, vs NO, @ ATL, @ BAL, vs PHI

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6-9): @ DEN, vs PHI, @ NO, vs STL, @ ATL

New Orleans Saints (7-8): @ ATL, @ NYG, vs TB, @ DAL, vs CAR

My predictions:

Falcons- Finish 3-2 (13-3)

49'ers- Finish 4-1 (12-3-1)

Bears- Finish 4-1 (12-4)

Giants- Finish 3-2 (10-6)

Packers- Finish 4-1 (11-5)

Seahawks- Finish 2-3 (8-8)

Vikings- Finish 1-4 (7-9)

Buccaneers- Finish 3-2 (9-7)

Redskins- Finish 5-0 (10-6)

Cowboys- Finish 2-3 (7-9)

Saints- Finish 3-2 (8-8)

Which means-- Bears would play the Giants in the 1st round of the playoffs in Chicago. If that's how it ends up, I would be very concerned, given how insanely good the Giants have been as "Road Warriors" whenever they make the playoffs.

1- Atlanta Falcons

2- San Francisco 49'ers

3- Chicago Bears

4- Washington Redskins

5- Greenbay Packers

6- New York Giants

Which means-- Bears would play the Giants in the 1st round of the playoffs in Chicago. If that's how it ends up, I would be very concerned, given how insanely good the Giants have been as "Road Warriors" whenever they make the playoffs.

Really, let's be honest...in the NFC, there isnt' going to be a team in the playoffs that isn't scary. The 5 teams that should be there are the Giants, Bears, 49ers, Falcons, and Packers, and then the Wild Card goes to whichever team gets hottest at the end.

There's pretty much no easy road through this. If a team wants to make the Super Bowl from the NFC, they're going to have to go through 2 of those teams. Frankly, I'm just going to enjoy the show.

Really, let's be honest...in the NFC, there isnt' going to be a team in the playoffs that isn't scary. The 5 teams that should be there are the Giants, Bears, 49ers, Falcons, and Packers, and then the Wild Card goes to whichever team gets hottest at the end.

There's pretty much no easy road through this. If a team wants to make the Super Bowl from the NFC, they're going to have to go through 2 of those teams. Frankly, I'm just going to enjoy the show.

Agreed. It's football, the greatest game at the greatest time of year.

Agreed. It's football, the greatest game at the greatest time of year.

EDIT: I decided to rewrite this due to many grammar mistakes and other errors. That way I can get rid of other posts I made and to make it a little clearer.

Scenario: Bears only win 1 of the next 3 games. Will the Bears win the tiebreaker vs. the other team that reaches 9 wins?

Chicago (8-5) Vs. New York (8-5)

Giants already have 7 conference wins. The Bears will only be at 6-6 if they only win one of the next 3.

Tiebreaker: Giants

Chicago (8-5) Vs. Washington (7-6): Winner Washington.

Washington will at least be 7-5 in the conference.

Tiebreaker: Redskins

Chicago (8-5) Vs. Dallas (7-6)

The Bears have the Head to Head tiebreaker over Dallas.

Tiebreaker: Bears

Chicago (8-5) Vs. Minnesota (7-6)

If the Vikings beat Green Bay they will have a better divisional record. If they lose, they still win like opponents with the win at Houston they would need to pick up.

Tiebreaker: Vikings

Chicago (8-5) Vs. St. Louis (6-6-1)

Tie is better than a loss.

Spot goes to: Rams

Chicago (8-5) Vs. Tampa Bay (6-7)

Same conference record. Same record against like opponents. It goes to Strength of Victory. The record of teams they beat.

Tiebreaker: ? likely the Bears

Playoff standings updated. The Bears are now on the outside looking in after 5 straight losses. They fall to 3rd in the division. Pretty much have to win the next two games and get some help from some other teams.

The Bears have to go 10-6 with MIN and one of WAS or NYG going 9-7.

Based on the remaining schedules, I could see this playing out:

1. ATL (14-2)

2. SF (12-3-1)

3. GB (12-4)

4. WAS (10-6)

5. SEA (10-6)

6. NYG (10-6)

7. CHI (10-6)

8. DAL (9-7)

9. MIN (8-8)